Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Transformers G1 the complete series now up on Netflix instant streaming

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: Transformers G1 the complete series now up on Netflix instant streaming

Postby MINDVVIPE » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Got it all on DVD, but still great news. :) I find g1 holds up a lot better than it should, actually. In some ways, better than the new stuff.


Not challenging you whatsoever, but can you tell us why? I just like hearing about the cool elements of G1 that are often shrouded by the whacked out stuff. :grin:
And you're right, theres a lot of neat stuff in G1 that is executed surprisingly well.
Image
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
User avatar
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Posts: 2279
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:49 pm
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Re: Transformers G1 the complete series now up on Netflix instant streaming

Postby mattwhite924 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:49 pm

Unfortunately it seems they used the Rhino versions instead of the much better Shout Factory remasters. Though oddly it doesn't use the added sound effects that Rhino used. So this is like some weird hybrid version I guess.

If you want to check this for yourself, Heavy Metal War is probably the easiest episode to see the difference in.
User avatar
mattwhite924
Minibot
Posts: 138
News Credits: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:04 pm

Re: Transformers G1 the complete series now up on Netflix instant streaming

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:10 pm

Motto: ""I am a warrior. Let the battle be joined.""
Weapon: Electron Gun
MINDVVIPE wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Got it all on DVD, but still great news. :) I find g1 holds up a lot better than it should, actually. In some ways, better than the new stuff.


Not challenging you whatsoever, but can you tell us why? I just like hearing about the cool elements of G1 that are often shrouded by the whacked out stuff. :grin:
And you're right, theres a lot of neat stuff in G1 that is executed surprisingly well.

I'm hgeading to bed in a few minutes, I'll do this briefly and in more detail tomorrow, but...

1. Although we do see humans rescued, there's a lot of scenes where there's no way in hell humans didn't die en masse.

2. Continuity, especially in season one, is a lot tighter than the stereotype.

3. The human/Autobot interaction is so much better than in almost any other series.

4. Spike, Sparkplug, Carly, Chip and Marissa are some of the best humans in the franchise, IMHO. They're useful outside of 'human perspective into the series'.

5. There are times where the Great War and its impact upon their race and culture is just plain sad, and truly given gravitas.

More tomorrow.
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.

My reviews of Transformers G1, one episode at a time. Stop by for a spell!
RK_Striker_JK_5
City Commander
Posts: 3380
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:48 pm
Location: New Hampshire
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10
Rank: 2
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Re: Transformers G1 the complete series now up on Netflix instant streaming

Postby MINDVVIPE » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:31 pm

Motto: "One look from me and you've lost"
Weapon: Black Magic
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
MINDVVIPE wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Got it all on DVD, but still great news. :) I find g1 holds up a lot better than it should, actually. In some ways, better than the new stuff.


Not challenging you whatsoever, but can you tell us why? I just like hearing about the cool elements of G1 that are often shrouded by the whacked out stuff. :grin:
And you're right, theres a lot of neat stuff in G1 that is executed surprisingly well.

I'm hgeading to bed in a few minutes, I'll do this briefly and in more detail tomorrow, but...

1. Although we do see humans rescued, there's a lot of scenes where there's no way in hell humans didn't die en masse.

2. Continuity, especially in season one, is a lot tighter than the stereotype.

3. The human/Autobot interaction is so much better than in almost any other series.

4. Spike, Sparkplug, Carly, Chip and Marissa are some of the best humans in the franchise, IMHO. They're useful outside of 'human perspective into the series'.

5. There are times where the Great War and its impact upon their race and culture is just plain sad, and truly given gravitas.

More tomorrow.


:grin: G1, ***k Yea! :CON:
I think i'll watch some later tonight.
Image
THE POWERS OF DARKNESS ARE A MORE POWERFUL WEAPON THAN ALL THE TOYS YOUR SCIENCE CAN MUSTER

Die, Autobots!
User avatar
MINDVVIPE
Gestalt
Posts: 2279
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:49 pm
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???
Skill: ???

Re: Transformers G1 the complete series now up on Netflix instant streaming

Postby Name_Violation » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:50 pm

Motto: "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Weapon: Multi-Function Sword
Image
Image
Fun Toy Banned Because Of Three Stupid Dead Kids :KREMZEEK:
People wrote:zombybunnie: N_V scares me...I no longer wish that my pants transformed
Burn:Anyone notice how much of a boring party pooper N_V is? He doesn't join in the fun, he's spent the last few years with dodgy builds feeding XP to the Autobots, and he sure as heck doesn't spam.
disruptor96: I forgot how insane you were.
User avatar
Name_Violation
Matrix Keeper
Posts: 9439
News Credits: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:48 pm
Location: Location, Location
Intelligence: ???
Skill: ???

Re: Transformers G1 the complete series now up on Netflix instant streaming

Postby sky_fire12 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:47 pm

I must say, Netflix is doing an amazing job of collecting the best shows out there. I just hope there's some chance we'll get to see the Japanese collections sometime soon added to the list, that would be amazing !!
sky_fire12
Mini-Con
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Re: Transformers G1 the complete series now up on Netflix instant streaming

Postby Supreme Convoy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:36 am

I know I have the GI Joe DVD set along with two versions of The Transformers G1 series on DVD but I'm excited it's streaming on Netflix.

It just makes it convenient to pull up episodes.
Image
Supreme Convoy
Site Moderator
Posts: 6927
News Credits: 34
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2002 12:23 am

Re: Transformers G1 the complete series now up on Netflix instant streaming

Postby warzon3 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:30 pm

Man it holds up a hell a lot better that He-man and Voltron, they are on Netflix and I can't even watch those anymore.

I just started watching season 1. Can anyone tell me who Hauler is? I must have forgotten about this? Is it or is it not Grapple? Is Grapple an official Ark Autobot?
warzon3
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 584
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: Transformers G1 the complete series now up on Netflix instant streaming

Postby Sabrblade » Wed May 02, 2012 12:02 am

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
warzon3 wrote:Man it holds up a hell a lot better that He-man and Voltron, they are on Netflix and I can't even watch those anymore.

I just started watching season 1. Can anyone tell me who Hauler is? I must have forgotten about this? Is it or is it not Grapple? Is Grapple an official Ark Autobot?
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hauler#Origins
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 17339
News Credits: 110
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers G1 the complete series now up on Netflix instant streaming

Postby warzon3 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:20 am

Wow what a convoluted history for "Hauler". Thanks!
warzon3
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 584
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:05 pm


Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #102 - Hidden Mickeys
Twincast / Podcast #102:
"Hidden Mickeys"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, October 5th, 2014