Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby AdamPrime » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:18 am

Hello. ^_^

I've never actually fixed a loose-leggy before, but I'd guess the best way to do it would be to:

Disassemble the legs. Take the two sliding parts and inspect them.
You'll probably find that there's a clip or pressure-point that has worn away over time.
You can either rebuild it using a small piece of plastic, or just a blob of super-glue or epoxy, or perhaps coat the inside of the legs with layers of superglue to make them really tight.

Sometimes, when I have loose parts, I stick small pieces of paper or plastic film on the inside of the pieces. This often makes them so tight that the pressure alone holds two sliding parts in place.

Just be brave and take the toy apart. ^_^ You'll figure it out.
AdamPrime
Minibot
Posts: 148
News Credits: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:57 am

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby kryslarry » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:52 pm

Just be brave and take the toy apart. ^_^ You'll figure it out.

Good advice. Thanks so much!
kryslarry
Mini-Con
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby Nemesis Destron » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Motto: ""So you see evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb!""
Weapon: Dual-Sonic Disrupter Gun
Okay I really need help! I recently bought a used Binaltech Shockwave/Laserwave and I love it. So after I recieved it what looked like a tiny piece of styro stuck on the bonnet was a tiny nick so I scratched it making it bigger. :BANG_HEAD: Now being a die-cast surface and not the plastic Alternators line is there paint for a die-cast surface or not necessary? Also the shade, does anyone know if that type of shade (purple/lavender etc.) and if available? Thanks for the help all. :BOWDOWN: :VEHI:
Nemesis Destron
Brainmaster
Posts: 1486
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: OC So-Cal

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby Soundwave__Superior » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:01 pm

Motto: "Cries and screams are music to my ears."
Weapon: Concussion Blaster Gun
I recently purchased a BTS-04 Sonicron figure that has a problem. The tape door will not open in alt mode. It works perfectly in robot mode, with or without cassettes in Sonicron's chest, but won't do a thing in alt mode. Any help would be appreciated. It also seems that just making the tab that presses the eject button longer won't do it, as the hand would not properly fit in robot mode if this was done.
Image
:CON: Soundwave Superior :CON:
User avatar
Soundwave__Superior
Minibot
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:55 pm
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 2
Endurance: 6
Rank: 8
Courage: 5
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby Ebonsaber » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:56 pm

I just purchased a 2nd TFTM Skyblast(Energon Skyblast mold), and noticed both of them have reversed thighs. How do I separate the lower legs from the thighs so I can swap and fix them?
Ebonsaber
Mini-Con
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:56 pm

Need Help With G1 Optimus Prime

Postby okame » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:01 am

I'm restoring the cab to an old G1 Optimus Prime I've got, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to buy some cheap spare parts I need. I need a Diaclone cockpit, so that his head doesn't flop around so much. I also need the ORIGINAL silver smokestacks. Ebay only has the 25th Anniversary ones, and all I found on a 'spare parts' website was the white Powermaster ones. I also need a full grill with bumper. All I have is the grill. Any help in directing me to someone or a website would be appreciated.
okame
Mini-Con
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:15 am

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby primerez » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:32 pm

Motto: ""Live your Life""
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
I recently got the AM-21 Optimus Prime but left shoulder joint is loose and can't even hold more than one micron without sliding down. If it was a ball and socket joint it would be an easy fix but I can't see how to get into the joint.

Any help you guys can give would be appreciated!
primerez
Mini-Con
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:17 pm
Buy from primerez on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 9
Rank: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby saucerdo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Acrylic paint is really good, i do not know wether or not the brand is sold at every wal mart/office depot worldwide, but here in Mexico, there is a brand, Dietrix, which is very strong, it only falls off if you scratch it reeeeeaaallyyy hard, not just by touch, has a mate finish, if you mix brown/red/black, and make it thinned with water, can be used to simulate rust.

Canned Pasta wrote:This thread was extremely helpful before, so I figured I would revive it.

Anyway, to start it back up, I have a question.

I recently bought the new 20th DVD Prime, and I want to paint the gun black instead of having it blue, yellow, and gray.

What would be the best type of paint to use for this>
saucerdo
Mini-Con
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby warzon3 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:34 pm

This is probably been discussed before, but my the white paint on Classics Prowl doors is becoming discolored is there away to clean that with out messing up the pain job? It doesn't seem soap and water really does the job.

Also looks like the Autobot symbol on his chest is is fading away over time and now looks orange. Were there some paint flaws when this guys was produced?
warzon3
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 584
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby AdamFett » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:20 pm

Motto: "''In the end, it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures, the Tyrannosaurus Rex.''"
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
I have a Classics Starscream that has a cracked part where the rivet fits into his right tail fin...Any easy fixes? It seems super tight when i try to transform him. Like its about the break.
Image

BUY/SELL/TRADE FEEDBACK: adamfett-no-worries-with-him-t90266.php

PLEASE HELP ME GET A MASTERPIECE GRIMLOCK: want-masterpiece-grimlock-please-read-t89996.php
User avatar
AdamFett
Minibot
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: Oglala, SD
Watch AdamFett on YouTube
Buy from AdamFett on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 9
Rank: 4
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10+

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby Fires_Of_Inferno » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Motto: "I wish I could hate you to death."
Weapon: Venom Blaster
Just a general question here. I have an Acidstorm who's arm broke off. The hinge joint on the shoulder broke in a way that the peg on front panel with the yellow stripe on it snapped off of it's base. I put some crazy glue on it to give it a fix and let it dry for a couple of days. Just tried to reassemble it now but I get scared that it'll break again when I try to move the shoulder.

My question is: does anyone know of a good bonding agent I could use that wouldn't be too prone to breaking again?
Quick Toy Reviews. My Twitter account: https://twitter.com/QuickToyReviews

Image

Groovy
User avatar
Fires_Of_Inferno
Headmaster
Posts: 1173
News Credits: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:34 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta. Canada
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 3
Endurance: 9
Rank: 1
Courage: 7
Firepower: 3
Skill: 7

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:16 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Fires_Of_Inferno wrote:Just a general question here. I have an Acidstorm who's arm broke off. The hinge joint on the shoulder broke in a way that the peg on front panel with the yellow stripe on it snapped off of it's base. I put some crazy glue on it to give it a fix and let it dry for a couple of days. Just tried to reassemble it now but I get scared that it'll break again when I try to move the shoulder.

My question is: does anyone know of a good bonding agent I could use that wouldn't be too prone to breaking again?


While I can't make any guarantees it'll work, you might want to try Tamiya's Liquid Cement and Semi-liquid Cement, or Mr. Hobby's Cement. These basically work by melting the plastic on the two parts you want to stick together and bonding them together.

Should work better than the usual CA-type glue.

Hope this helps.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2265
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby Hiboman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:16 pm

Weapon: Sword of Fury
One day, I stuck a cyberkey in my Cybertron Shortround, and now I can't get the dang thing out! I've taken him to pieces as much as I can, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it.
Check out my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRealHiboman

Follow my semi-ongoing stream of thoughts about toys, fandom, collecting etc: http://andthewallscametumbl-e-ringdown.tumblr.com/
User avatar
Hiboman
Mini-Con
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:26 pm
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 7

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Motto: "Zounds! A sarsparilla swimming hole! Last one in's a freemason!"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
warzon3 wrote:This is probably been discussed before, but my the white paint on Classics Prowl doors is becoming discolored is there away to clean that with out messing up the pain job? It doesn't seem soap and water really does the job.

Also looks like the Autobot symbol on his chest is is fading away over time and now looks orange. Were there some paint flaws when this guys was produced?

This guy had serious issues with the paint apps on his doors and sometimes his roof. I tried soapy water myself, and ended up with wet paint on my hands. So to fix the problem, I scraped as much of the paint as I could off of his roof and doors, and replaced it with Testors brand acrylic gloss white and black. Now that it's dry, it hasn't given me any of the trouble it used to.
User avatar
Nemesis Maximo
Headmaster
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Northern MI
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 7

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby amtm » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:00 am

Motto: "I'd've written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time."
Weapon: Sonic Boomer Laser
I have an MP-04 Optimus Prime with a broken trailer hitch piece. I also have a regular Hasbro Masterpiece Prime with an intact trailer hitch piece, but the rest of the toy is in rough shape (missing head and several pistons, beat-up paint).

I was thinking of trying to replace the broken hitch on MP-04 with the one from the Hasbro edition, but could not figure out how to get the pin holding it in out--needlenose pliers and such have not worked, and I don't want to risk breaking it by using brute force. I've attached pics of the pin on the Hasbro version (a little fuzzy, sorry).

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove it (and of course, install into the other toy) without damaging the leg where it's seated, or trailer hitch?

TF-MP-OP-TrailerHitchPin-Front.jpg
Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime pin holding trailer hit piece (front view)

TF-MP-OP-TrailerHitchPin-Back.jpg
Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime pin holding trailer hitch piece (back view)
Want: Universe Jetfire.

Have: Too many to list.
User avatar
amtm
Vehicon
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:50 pm
Buy from amtm on eBay
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 3
Courage: 2
Firepower: 2
Skill: 5

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby Mr_Wayne » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Sorry if this has already came up or if this isn't the right fourm for this question. Im starting to get into paint apps and was wondering what the right method was to removing paint if I mess up ?
Mr_Wayne
Micromaster
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby evers » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:30 pm

Hey anyone have any idea how to work with a broken perfect effect figure? The peg of one of the wing guns(right) of my shadow warrior (red one) snapped off in the back and won't come loose now. Curious if any suggestions to get it out and maybe re attach.
looking for the missiles and antenna to cybertron leader class prime, and the blue missiles and gun to classics jetfire
evers
Mini-Con
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:10 pm
Buy from evers on eBay

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby evers » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:31 pm

If not willing to sell cheap, otherwise h has all parts in perfect shape...except for this one problem
looking for the missiles and antenna to cybertron leader class prime, and the blue missiles and gun to classics jetfire
evers
Mini-Con
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:10 pm
Buy from evers on eBay

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby leakin' lubricant » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:40 am

Motto: "Be Quick or Be Dead"
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
Have just received Dr Wu Partners through the post and on opening I noticed Sparkplugs leg is broken

Image

Is there any way to fixt his and keeping his articulation? I have tried popping out the snapped nub where the leg connects but it is in too tight (probably the root of the problem) any help would be appreciated.
Image
User avatar
leakin' lubricant
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 577
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:44 pm
Buy from leakin' lubricant on eBay

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby rpetras » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:57 pm

Motto: "Know your enemy, then crush them."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
amtm wrote:I have an MP-04 Optimus Prime with a broken trailer hitch piece. I also have a regular Hasbro Masterpiece Prime with an intact trailer hitch piece, but the rest of the toy is in rough shape (missing head and several pistons, beat-up paint).

I was thinking of trying to replace the broken hitch on MP-04 with the one from the Hasbro edition, but could not figure out how to get the pin holding it in out--needlenose pliers and such have not worked, and I don't want to risk breaking it by using brute force. I've attached pics of the pin on the Hasbro version (a little fuzzy, sorry).

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove it (and of course, install into the other toy) without damaging the leg where it's seated, or trailer hitch?

TF-MP-OP-TrailerHitchPin-Front.jpg

TF-MP-OP-TrailerHitchPin-Back.jpg



Get a VERY small nail, nip off the point to make it flat and use that to push out the pin.

The ends of the pins are typically different. One has a pattern cut in to help it grip in the plastic, the other is typically smooth. You want the end with the patter to pop out first, if not you will be trying to push that part all the way through the joint which is difficult to do.

Once you get that one end out you can usually grab the pin with the pliers.

This trick works for any pin joint where you can reach both sides of the pin.
For Sale:
Classics Magnus/Skywarp 2 pack MIB
Classics Devastator MIP
HA Sideswipe K-Mart exclusive color Loose

Currently looking for:
ROTF Target exclusive Sideswipe from the 2-pack
TFCC Punch/Counterpunch
Alternity Primes, silver & white versions
(opened is OK, to be used for customs)

PM If interested
User avatar
rpetras
City Commander
Posts: 3261
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:28 pm
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Rank: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby rpetras » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:10 am

Motto: "Know your enemy, then crush them."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
leakin' lubricant wrote:Have just received Dr Wu Partners through the post and on opening I noticed Sparkplugs leg is broken

Image

Is there any way to fixt his and keeping his articulation? I have tried popping out the snapped nub where the leg connects but it is in too tight (probably the root of the problem) any help would be appreciated.


First, see if you can send him back and get the retailer to replace him ... that is your best bet. but if you can't,, one trick I've used to make replacement joints for figs is this:

Get a piece of wire about the diameter of the peg, maybe less.
You'll kind of have to judge what gauge to use.
I don't have the Dr Wu fig in question so I don't know how little he is.

But drill out a hole in the body, as well as the replace the broken peg. Use a drill bit the same size or just a TINY bit smaller than your wire.

It is a small fig, so be careful. You can probably drill it out with just the bit, without using an actual drill.

Cut a piece of wire to replace the old peg.

Viola! New pin joint. It'll hold in place with friction.

I've often used the wire that ties the figures in the packages.
Not the new eco friendly junk, the older plastic wrapped wire.
If you need to you can glue in one end, and have at least one side solidly mounted.
So if you have old packaging laying around, you probably have wire.

I've used this trick to replace many wrist pegs as well as other simple joints on TFs, Joe scale figures and Marvel Legends.
For Sale:
Classics Magnus/Skywarp 2 pack MIB
Classics Devastator MIP
HA Sideswipe K-Mart exclusive color Loose

Currently looking for:
ROTF Target exclusive Sideswipe from the 2-pack
TFCC Punch/Counterpunch
Alternity Primes, silver & white versions
(opened is OK, to be used for customs)

PM If interested
User avatar
rpetras
City Commander
Posts: 3261
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:28 pm
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Rank: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:02 pm

Motto: "Zounds! A sarsparilla swimming hole! Last one in's a freemason!"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Say I had a hole in a figure and I wanted to fill that hole. What should I use?
User avatar
Nemesis Maximo
Headmaster
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Northern MI
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Rank: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 7

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby leakin' lubricant » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:05 am

Motto: "Be Quick or Be Dead"
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
rpetras wrote:
leakin' lubricant wrote:Have just received Dr Wu Partners through the post and on opening I noticed Sparkplugs leg is broken

Image

Is there any way to fixt his and keeping his articulation? I have tried popping out the snapped nub where the leg connects but it is in too tight (probably the root of the problem) any help would be appreciated.


First, see if you can send him back and get the retailer to replace him ... that is your best bet. but if you can't,, one trick I've used to make replacement joints for figs is this:

Get a piece of wire about the diameter of the peg, maybe less.
You'll kind of have to judge what gauge to use.
I don't have the Dr Wu fig in question so I don't know how little he is.

But drill out a hole in the body, as well as the replace the broken peg. Use a drill bit the same size or just a TINY bit smaller than your wire.

It is a small fig, so be careful. You can probably drill it out with just the bit, without using an actual drill.

Cut a piece of wire to replace the old peg.

Viola! New pin joint. It'll hold in place with friction.

I've often used the wire that ties the figures in the packages.
Not the new eco friendly junk, the older plastic wrapped wire.
If you need to you can glue in one end, and have at least one side solidly mounted.
So if you have old packaging laying around, you probably have wire.

I've used this trick to replace many wrist pegs as well as other simple joints on TFs, Joe scale figures and Marvel Legends.


Thanks for the advice, much appreciated, I managed to get the nub out and repair it with super glue, the leg snapped back in place after a bit of careful cutting with a craft knife. If the joint breaks again I will try your method.
Image
User avatar
leakin' lubricant
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 577
News Credits: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:44 pm
Buy from leakin' lubricant on eBay

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby Thequietone » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:35 am

Not sure if this is where I should post this but I just picked up a Cybertron Soundwave figure (from the CGI cartoon not the game) and I noticed his chest panel is made of translucent purple plastic with painted gold parts and was wondering whats the best way to remove some of the gold paint without scratching it off, I wanted to do a little bit of work on this but this is my first attempt at customization of any kind
Thequietone
Mini-Con
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:58 am

Re: Transformers Workshop (Maintenance & Repair)

Postby Antron » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:22 am

Motto: "Pray all you want, you still have to answer to me."
Weapon: Light Cannon
Hey everybody,
I recently acquired and extra Alternators Skids. I know the guy's been modded to here and back but it's my only duplicate so I want to re-paint him and maybe switch his head.

What should I use to take off the existing paint apps?
Where can I get a good sized head? Voyager class maybe?

Thanks
User avatar
Antron
Vehicon
Posts: 384
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:21 am
Location: Northwest Ohio
Buy from Antron on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10+

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #102 - Hidden Mickeys
Twincast / Podcast #102:
"Hidden Mickeys"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, October 5th, 2014