Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Very disappointed in WFC so far

This is the forum to discuss all of those video games you love playing or that are coming out. From Transformers video games to Fighting games to Sports games ... whatever makes you a happy Seibertronian. Just keep it the topics and conversations game and console related.

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby cotss2012 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Shadowman wrote:Let's analyze that. Now, you say Halo was the start of FPSs being "neutered?"


No. Halo (2001) was simply a template upon which the neutered PC games from 2006 onward would model themselves.

Shadowman wrote:In Just Cause 2, you get a grappling hook. It doubles as a tether. There are few things you CAN'T tether together. Tether an enemy to a car? They encourage that. Tether a car to a helicopter? I don't see why not. Tether a helicopter to a jet? Now we're cooking with gas. Tether a gas tank that tends to fly off like a rocket before exploding to an enemy, causing that enemy to be lifted into the air and flown around before exploding? Jackpot. There's even an achievement for attaching a large object to the back of your car, then driving around so that the object swings around and kills people.

You can also paint funny mustaches on billboards.


That's one of the most awesome things I've ever heard.

Shadowman wrote:Man up and learn to play.


Image

Also, I recorded all of the following gameplay footage myself, without ever taking damage, so don't tell me that I need to learn how to play:

I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby Shadowman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:05 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
cotss2012 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:Let's analyze that. Now, you say Halo was the start of FPSs being "neutered?"


No. Halo (2001) was simply a template upon which the neutered PC games from 2006 onward would model themselves.


So...wait, I'm confused. Halo came out in 2001, but the effects it would have on the game industry wouldn't take effect until 2006, five years after the fact, and two years after Halo 2 came out, and less than one year into the current generation? Does this kind of delayed popularity make sense to you?

cotss2012 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:Man up and learn to play.


Image


I did. That's why I'm not the one complaining about the difficulty.

cotss2012 wrote:Also, I recorded all of the following gameplay footage myself, without ever taking damage, so don't tell me that I need to learn how to play:



Wow, four WHOLE minutes of not taking damage in Doom 3? That would be really impressive if it wasn't 10 second clips, of things I've already done myself, during my last three playthroughs of Doom 3.

That video doesn't show you have skills, just that you can edit a video of you save scumming.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28917
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby Autobot032 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
I think this thread's going to get out of hand. Why does this stuff even have to get posted? Sometimes, it's better left unsaid.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
News Staff
Posts: 8864
News Credits: 40
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:51 am
Location: I don't know!
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby cotss2012 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:25 pm

Shadowman wrote:So...wait, I'm confused. Halo came out in 2001, but the effects it would have on the game industry wouldn't take effect until 2006, five years after the fact, and two years after Halo 2 came out, and less than one year into the current generation? Does this kind of delayed popularity make sense to you?


It has nothing to do with popularity. It was also a gradual process; Blood II, released back in 1998, had more guns than it had weapon slots, forcing you to ditch some; however, we're talking about like 14 guns and 10 slots...

That's why I'm not the one complaining about the difficulty.


Who is?

cotss2012 wrote:Wow, four WHOLE minutes of not taking damage in Doom 3? That would be really impressive if it wasn't 10 second clips, of things I've already done myself, during my last three playthroughs of Doom 3.


You've taken down a Hell Knight in four shotgun blasts, Pinky in two, Skeletor in two, and a giant land whale in five, all without taking damage?

That video doesn't show you have skills


Actually, it does. Some of those feats are extremely difficult.
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby Shadowman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:37 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
cotss2012 wrote:
That's why I'm not the one complaining about the difficulty.


Who is?


You are, remember? You were complaining about how bits of WfC were too hard, and you had to do them over when you died in one of the most simple fights in the game. (From the sounds of things, the Zeta Prime fight? That's not even really a fight)

cotss2012 wrote:
Wow, four WHOLE minutes of not taking damage in Doom 3? That would be really impressive if it wasn't 10 second clips, of things I've already done myself, during my last three playthroughs of Doom 3.


You've taken down a Hell Knight in four shotgun blasts, Pinky in two, Skeletor in two, and a giant land whale in five, all without taking damage?


Yep. Except for Skeletor and the whale, those two are best left to He-Man and Captain Ahab. I did take down plenty of Revenants and Cacodemons doing that, though. I even got them to fight each other for me. A tricky tactic but one that's really fun nonetheless.

cotss2012 wrote:
That video doesn't show you have skills


Actually, it does. Some of those feats are extremely difficult.


Which is why you saved immediately before, then reloaded until you got it perfect, then edited out all of your failures.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28917
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby cotss2012 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Whoa, there's a whole mess of not-yet-responded-to crap on page 2 that wasn't there the last few times I posted here! Let's fix that...

Tweezy wrote:War for Cybertron is a different kind of game from system shock and quake IV. There are different gameplay mechanics, and different strategies to be employed.


Yeah, first-person shooters and third-person shooters are so different :roll:

Tweezy wrote:Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I certainly did not allude to the B button cycling through the weapons you have in your inventory.


"Select the weapon right away" and "cycling through the weapons you have in your inventory" are mutually exclusive methods of weapon-selection, except for when your current weapon and the one being selected are right next to each other in the cycle.

Tweezy wrote:What a nightmare, the devs thought to make the game a little less arbitrarily challenging.


They made it less skill-dependent.

Tweezy wrote:There's really no difference aside from the distance needed to cross before proceeding. In both instances, you die and reload from an earlier point. The key here is that the game does it automatically, so you don't have to trek even further when you forget to save.


No, the key is that I am being stripped of the ability to decide what earlier point I'd like to reload from.

Shadowman wrote:or the traditional Save Point, which is like a checkpoint in a lot of ways except I have to manually activate it.


Ah, Diablo II, my first experience with a crap worthless inferior save system...

Dead Metal wrote:cotss2012 going to ed and copying their arguments and content does not argument make. ;)


ed who? The Scissorhands guy? I don't think he has an opinion on the matter.

Shadowman wrote:You are, remember? You were complaining about how bits of WfC were too hard, and you had to do them over when you died in one of the most simple fights in the game. (From the sounds of things, the Zeta Prime fight? That's not even really a fight)


Dude, what the bloody hell are you talking about? Zeta Prime was a pussy. Orders of magnitude easier than a certain part of Madness Returns that I actually was complaining about (and even then, I wasn't complaining about the difficulty of the fight so much as the repetitive bullshit that I had to go through to get to the fight every time I died because of the CRAP WORTHLESS STUPID CHECKPOINT SYSTEM).

Shadowman wrote:Yep. Except for Skeletor and the whale


In other words, half of the monsters I mentioned. So no.

Shadowman wrote:Which is why you saved immediately before, then reloaded until you got it perfect, then edited out all of your failures


To "edit them out", they'd need to have been in first. Actually, there was one failure: I took some damage at the end of Martian Chainsaw Massacre...
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby Shadowman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:50 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
cotss2012 wrote:
Tweezy wrote:War for Cybertron is a different kind of game from system shock and quake IV. There are different gameplay mechanics, and different strategies to be employed.


Yeah, first-person shooters and third-person shooters are so different :roll:


If you think the only difference between System Shock and WfC is camera angle, then you have clearly haven't played either game. It's not even apples and oranges, it's more like comparing apples to a car.

cotss2012 wrote:They made it less skill-dependent.


Yeah, because save scumming requires so much more skill.

cotss2012 wrote:No, the key is that I am being stripped of the ability to decide what earlier point I'd like to reload from.


Boo hoo, you have to redo a fight or two. Man up and do it.

cotss2012 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:or the traditional Save Point, which is like a checkpoint in a lot of ways except I have to manually activate it.


Ah, Diablo II, my first experience with a crap worthless inferior save system...


Diablo II didn't use save points so I don't know why you're bringing that up. I mean, you know, save points. Like in Symphony of the Night, Metroid II onwards, Final Fantasy IV onwards, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Grand Theft Auto, etc. You know, games that I've played because I'm smart enough not to limit myself to one system?

Except Silent Hill. I never actually played Silent Hill.

cotss2012 wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:cotss2012 going to ed and copying their arguments and content does not argument make. ;)


ed who? The Scissorhands guy? I don't think he has an opinion on the matter.


Encyclopedia Dramatica. The site you've been taking all of your arguments from.

cotss2012 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:You are, remember? You were complaining about how bits of WfC were too hard, and you had to do them over when you died in one of the most simple fights in the game. (From the sounds of things, the Zeta Prime fight? That's not even really a fight)


Dude, what the bloody hell are you talking about? Zeta Prime was a pussy. Orders of magnitude easier than a certain part of Madness Returns that I actually was complaining about (and even then, I wasn't complaining about the difficulty of the fight so much as the repetitive bullshit that I had to go through to get to the fight every time I died because of the CRAP WORTHLESS STUPID CHECKPOINT SYSTEM).


Now what the bloody hell are you talking about? Between the Autobot Tank and the actual fight with Zeta, there isn't even any combat. The Tank is the last real challenge of the chapter, and if you think to bring along a nucleon shock cannon, even that isn't a challenge. So I don't know what you had a problem with.

cotss2012 wrote:To "edit them out", they'd need to have been in first. Actually, there was one failure: I took some damage at the end of Martian Chainsaw Massacre...


All I have to go on is your word, and if I've learned anything, it's that your word isn't a particularly good source to go on. So, save scumming.

Also because I've seen a million videos like that, of kids editing out all their failures to make themselves look better.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28917
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby Tweezy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Motto: "There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there was only one dude left, because that was the point"
cotss2012 wrote:Yeah, first-person shooters and third-person shooters are so different :roll:
This is typically the case, third person shooters make use of the different camera angle to employ different control styles and to allow for more interesting attack animations. Not to mention the platforming aspect that becomes far more prominent than in a first person game.

cotss2012 wrote:"Select the weapon right away" and "cycling through the weapons you have in your inventory" are mutually exclusive methods of weapon-selection, except for when your current weapon and the one being selected are right next to each other in the cycle.
It must be so hard to switch between weapons and spend an extra second or two to find the weapon you want

cotss2012 wrote:They made it less skill-dependent.
then up the difficulty level and grenade yourself whenever you feel like you should have died.

cotss2012 wrote:No, the key is that I am being stripped of the ability to decide what earlier point I'd like to reload from.
Well boo hoo, so you can't savescum, big deal. Most games tend to checkpoint before and after hard parts anyway.

cotss2012 wrote:I wasn't complaining about the difficulty of the fight so much as the repetitive bullshit that I had to go through to get to the fight every time I died because of the CRAP WORTHLESS STUPID CHECKPOINT SYSTEM).

Woah, calm down there, son.
Last edited by Tweezy on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posting and You!
Image
Click my sig for fun times
User avatar
Tweezy
Gestalt
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Somewhere in time and space.

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby SlyTF1 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:03 pm

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
Shadowman wrote:
cotss2012 wrote:
That's why I'm not the one complaining about the difficulty.


Who is?


You are, remember? You were complaining about how bits of WfC were too hard, and you had to do them over when you died in one of the most simple fights in the game. (From the sounds of things, the Zeta Prime fight? That's not even really a fight)


To be fair, WFC did have a lot of random ass parts that are harder than the rest of the game. There are at least 3 I can think of in the Arielbot's level alone. One I can think of in the Death of Hope level, and the Zeta Prime fight is sometimes hard and sometimes it's easy. The difficulty in WFC is unbalanced in my experience...
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
Faction Commander
Posts: 4053
News Credits: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby JetOptimus23 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Motto: "I hecked up"
Weapon: Dirge Gun
SlyTF1 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:
cotss2012 wrote:
That's why I'm not the one complaining about the difficulty.


Who is?


You are, remember? You were complaining about how bits of WfC were too hard, and you had to do them over when you died in one of the most simple fights in the game. (From the sounds of things, the Zeta Prime fight? That's not even really a fight)


To be fair, WFC did have a lot of random ass parts that are harder than the rest of the game. There are at least 3 I can think of in the Arielbot's level alone. One I can think of in the Death of Hope level, and the Zeta Prime fight is sometimes hard and sometimes it's easy. The difficulty in WFC is unbalanced in my experience...


That Aerialbot level's beginning was incredibly frustrating.
PROFESSIONAL ARMADA APOLOGIST

Currently on a quest to collect as many Unicron Trilogy toys as possible...maybe even complete the collection...
Image
User avatar
JetOptimus23
Godmaster
Posts: 1742
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:30 am
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 1
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 1

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby Shadowman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:29 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
JetOptimus23 wrote:That Aerialbot level's beginning was incredibly frustrating.


I have to disagree, I actually really like that part. Any extended driving or flying sections, really.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28917
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby cotss2012 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:04 am

Shadowman wrote:If you think the only difference between System Shock and WfC is camera angle, then you have clearly haven't played either game. It's not even apples and oranges, it's more like comparing apples to a car.


I admit that I never played System Shock, but I've played as much Bioshock as I could handle before falling asleep, and I found - remarkably - that the gameplay in both BS and WFC consisted primarily of walking around through rooms and corridors while shooting or hitting things, occasionally punctuated by the need to pick something up or push a button.

Shadowman wrote:Yeah, because save scumming requires so much more skill.


The parts between saves do require skill - much more so than the Halo Healing approach.

Shadowman wrote:Boo hoo, you have to redo a fight or two. Man up and do it.


It's not the fight that I hate redoing. I already made that clear twice.

Shadowman wrote:Diablo II didn't use save points so I don't know why you're bringing that up. I mean, you know, save points. Like in Symphony of the Night, Metroid II onwards, Final Fantasy IV onwards, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Grand Theft Auto, etc.


Never played them.

Shadowman wrote:Encyclopedia Dramatica. The site you've been taking all of your arguments from.


No, sorry, I've never spent any significant amount of time there. If people there are pointing out the same things that I am, then it's because people who know what they're talking about tend to come to similar conclusions.

Shadowman wrote:Now what the bloody hell are you talking about? Between the Autobot Tank and the actual fight with Zeta, there isn't even any combat. The Tank is the last real challenge of the chapter, and if you think to bring along a nucleon shock cannon, even that isn't a challenge. So I don't know what you had a problem with.


I had a problem fighting a walking teapot, a black slime monster, and three mosquito-spawner things at the same time after navigating a bunch of smashy stompy things in the Mad Hatter's realm in Madness Returns. Why you keep talking about Zeta Prime?

Shadowman wrote:All I have to go on is your word, and if I've learned anything, it's that your word isn't a particularly good source to go on.


:roll:

Tweezy wrote:This is typically the case, third person shooters make use of the different camera angle to employ different control styles


Well, WFC and both Alice games employed the WASD system, so I'm not sure what you're getting at there.

Tweezy wrote:It must be so hard to switch between weapons and spend an extra second or two to find the weapon you want


When you can't heal back up to full health every time you manage to avoid getting shot at for a few seconds, then that time spent cycling between weapons can really cost you.

Tweezy wrote:then up the difficulty level and grenade yourself whenever you feel like you should have died.


:lol:

(has fond memories of Warthog Jump)

Tweezy wrote:Well boo hoo, so you can't savescum, big deal


Being forced to run and jump through the smashy stompy things for ten goddamn minutes every time the teapot kills me IS a big deal.

Tweezy wrote:Woah, calm down there, son.


Yes, mommy. :oops:

JetOptimus23 wrote:That Aerialbot level's beginning was incredibly frustrating.


The only part of episode IX that I found frustrating was when Trypticon was falling down to Cybertron and I had to dodge the missiles, but had absolutely no way of knowing how far I could go in each direction, or even whether I was really moving at all.

Shadowman wrote:I have to disagree, I actually really like that part. Any extended driving or flying sections, really.


I did love jumping off ramps, transforming in midair, and swinging my mace/axe around as soon as I hit the ground... 8)
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby Shadowman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:33 am

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
cotss2012 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:If you think the only difference between System Shock and WfC is camera angle, then you have clearly haven't played either game. It's not even apples and oranges, it's more like comparing apples to a car.


I admit that I never played System Shock, but I've played as much Bioshock as I could handle before falling asleep, and I found - remarkably - that the gameplay in both BS and WFC consisted primarily of walking around through rooms and corridors while shooting or hitting things, occasionally punctuated by the need to pick something up or push a button.


After recovering from facepalming so hard I blacked out, I've come to realize I'm actually very glad that you said this. It means you don't know what you're talking about, at all. Everything you've posted so far is now completely undone by this one, blatantly wrong statement. And it's not a matter of opinion anymore, you have walked right into the realm of Fact, and you are wrong. Game over, man.

cotss2012 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:Diablo II didn't use save points so I don't know why you're bringing that up. I mean, you know, save points. Like in Symphony of the Night, Metroid II onwards, Final Fantasy IV onwards, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Grand Theft Auto, etc.


Never played them.


Yikes. I'd have thought you would have played a few of those. I know I have.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28917
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby cotss2012 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:34 am

To be fair, I couldn't force myself to go beyond the Medical Pavilion, so I probably missed something.
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby Shadowman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:37 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
cotss2012 wrote:To be fair, I couldn't force myself to go beyond the Medical Pavilion, so I probably missed something.


You missed everything. From the sound of it, you never even got on the plane. So you never played it, or you did play it but you really did think they were similar. I hope it's the latter, since that would mean I can now read everything you have to say with the knowledge that you don't really know what it is you're saying.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28917
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby cotss2012 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:21 pm

Shadowman wrote:So you never played it, or...


Well, I DID play through the whole Medical Pavilion, which, while technically short, felt like the longest FPS experience of my life. Does the game really get better after that?
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby Shadowman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
cotss2012 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:So you never played it, or...


Well, I DID play through the whole Medical Pavilion, which, while technically short, felt like the longest FPS experience of my life. Does the game really get better after that?


The game was good before that. You just didn't play it, because if you honestly think it's anything like WfC at all, there's no possible way you played it. Looked up a video walkthrough, maybe, but when you play either game, you cannot mistake one for the other.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28917
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby cotss2012 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:37 pm

What I wrote:

the gameplay in both BS and WFC consisted primarily of walking around through rooms and corridors while shooting or hitting things, occasionally punctuated by the need to pick something up or push a button.


What you read:

mistake one for the other


I'm not quite sure how you got from the former to the latter. Please, if you're going to insult me, it should be for the stupid **** that I do say. There's plenty of that to work with; no need to make things up.
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby Shadowman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:44 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
cotss2012 wrote:I'm not quite sure how you got from the former to the latter. Please, if you're going to insult me, it should be for the stupid **** that I do say. There's plenty of that to work with; no need to make things up.


You're right. Nevermind that your description of "gameplay" is the most bare-bones definition I've ever heard, it actually defines every game ever made in the history of the industry, and fails to take into account literally everything else that makes up gameplay. (Enemy AI, handling, weapons, sub-weapons, ability to take and receive damage, etc.) It's proof-positive you don't know what you're talking about on the matter.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28917
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby cotss2012 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:15 am

Shadowman wrote:You're right.


What? I am? My apologies; I won't let it happen again.

Shadowman wrote:your description of "gameplay" is the most bare-bones definition I've ever heard, it actually defines every game ever made in the history of the industry,


With the exceptions of RTS, TBS, adventure/puzzle games, sim games...

Shadowman wrote:and fails to take into account literally everything else that makes up gameplay. (Enemy AI, handling, weapons, sub-weapons, ability to take and receive damage, etc.)


Let's agree to disagree on what constitutes gameplay.
Last edited by cotss2012 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby Shadowman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:58 am

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
cotss2012 wrote:With the exceptions of RTS, TBS, adventure/puzzle games, sim games...


Really? Because the last time I played Starcraft, I remembered there being a lot of walking through corridors, hitting or shooting things while occasionally pushing a button or picking something up. Same with the last time I played Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monkey Island, and Portal. (Covering RTS, TBS, TBS again, adventure, and puzzle in that order) You got me on sim, though, but only because I don't play sim games.

cotss2012 wrote:Let's agree to disagree on what constitutes gameplay.


There's nothing to disagree with. I described gameplay, you just described a game. Massive difference there.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28917
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby cotss2012 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:12 pm

Shadowman wrote:Really? Because the last time I played Starcraft, I remembered there being a lot of walking through corridors, hitting or shooting things while occasionally pushing a button or picking something up.


Nonsense. There were like 2 or 3 missions of that nature out of thirty, and even then, it wasn't the player character doing the running and shooting.

Shadowman wrote:Same with the last time I played Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monkey Island, and Portal.


Monkey Island was not even remotely like what I described (though there is a brief section where you go around starting swordfights with random people), and I haven't played the others but I'm pretty sure that there weren't a lot of bad guys to shoot in Portal, or weapons with which to shoot them.
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby Shadowman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
cotss2012 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:Really? Because the last time I played Starcraft, I remembered there being a lot of walking through corridors, hitting or shooting things while occasionally pushing a button or picking something up.


Nonsense. There were like 2 or 3 missions of that nature out of thirty, and even then, it wasn't the player character doing the running and shooting.


Ah, yes it is. Instead of controlling one character, you control many at once.

And yes, almost all missions involved walking through corridors, by definition of a corridor being a thin pathway.

cotss2012 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:Same with the last time I played Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, Monkey Island, and Portal.


Monkey Island was not even remotely like what I described (though there is a brief section where you go around starting swordfights with random people), and I haven't played the others but I'm pretty sure that there weren't a lot of bad guys to shoot in Portal, or weapons with which to shoot them.


No no no, you never said anything about shooting "bad guys." You said

shooting or hitting things


The wall is a thing, you shoot Portals at it. Ergo, Portal involves shooting things.

And I am so done with you until you've played Portal, you aren't worthy of reading my words until then.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28917
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby cotss2012 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:59 am

Shadowman wrote:Instead of controlling one character, you control many at once.


This doesn't change the fact that you are a Colonial Magistrate or Cerebrate or whatever controlling things from afar, and not shooting or hitting or picking up anything yourself.

Shadowman wrote:definition of a corridor being a thin pathway.


:roll:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/corridor

Shadowman wrote:No no no, you never said anything about shooting "bad guys." You said

shooting or hitting things


The wall is a thing, you shoot Portals at it. Ergo, Portal involves shooting things.


:roll:

Would this be a bad time to mention that I've always considered Portal to be a first-person shooter, and thus technically in the same genre as Quake?

Shadowman wrote:And I am so done with you until you've played Portal, you aren't worthy of reading my words until then.


Okay. (fires up Bittorrent)
I do not blame Michael Bay for crapping all over a huge part of my childhood. He just directed the scripts that were given to him. I blame Orci, Kurtzman, and Krueger, who seem completely incapable of concocting a story that even halfway makes sense.

RiddlerJ wrote:Each one will come with an autographed picture of Michael Bay sitting on top of a huge pile of money.
cotss2012
Vehicon
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Very disappointed in WFC so far

Postby Shadowman » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:10 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
cotss2012 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:Instead of controlling one character, you control many at once.


This doesn't change the fact that you are a Colonial Magistrate or Cerebrate or whatever controlling things from afar, and not shooting or hitting or picking up anything yourself.


I'm not shooting or picking up anything myself when I play Half-Life, either. I'm sending a command through the interface to order Gordon Freeman to do it.

cotss2012 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:definition of a corridor being a thin pathway.


:roll:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/corridor


From that link:

4. a narrow tract of land forming a passageway, as one connecting two major cities or one belonging to an inland country and affording an outlet to the sea: the Polish Corridor


If you're going to prove me wrong, at least use evidence that doesn't prove me right.

cotss2012 wrote:
Shadowman wrote:And I am so done with you until you've played Portal, you aren't worthy of reading my words until then.


Okay. (fires up Bittorrent)


You're really going to pirate a $5 game? See, now not only do I think you don't know anything about gaming, I also think you pirated most of your "collection" and don't really own any games.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28917
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Next

Return to Video Games Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #103 - Road Trip
Twincast / Podcast #103:
"Road Trip"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, October 19th, 2014