This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Hasbro's Transformers Q&A for May 2010

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Hasbro's Transformers Q&A for May 2010

Postby Seibertron » Mon May 03, 2010 8:02 am

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
It Is Him wrote:Do you still love me, Hasbro? Because if you did, you'd let me have all those cool Animated toys you're holding out on. Don't tell me those kids in Japan will get them first!

I'm sure Hasbro still loves you. After all, You Are Him.

Kidding aside, I think the remaining TFA figures will get released (if at all) in Japan before they'll ever get released here. I think this type of item would be perfect for Japan to release because those that really want them outside of Japan can easily use online retailers to have these figures imported which equals good sales for Takara Tomy on figures that they might not have released otherwise. It'll be interesting to see just how many of these figures get released.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Seibertron » Mon May 03, 2010 8:03 am

Diem wrote:"Will the Generations line include homages from all eras of Transformers?"

Yes. Hasbro stated this at Toy Fair 2010. Picture "Generations" as the continuation of Classics. I declare Generations be called "CLASSICS 3.0"!!!
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Razorclaw0000 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:05 am

Motto: "Know that I am Razorclaw, that my reality is not yours, and while I share Tigerhawk's dual Spark and Vok heritage...
I am NOT he!"
Weapon: Ion Particle Blaster
So what two questions were chosen? Also, was the pool of questions just this thread, or did it include questions from previous threads that have never been asked?
Razorclaw0000
Gestalt
News Credits: 609
Buy from Razorclaw0000 on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby Seibertron » Mon May 03, 2010 8:08 am

Diem wrote:
DavidT wrote:
Diem wrote:"Will the Generations line include homages from all eras of Transformers?"

I thought that was already confirmed that it would... but maybe not

"Will the unreleased Animated figures be released in the Generations?" was my original idea but it seemed too specific.

Good question. I actually don't have an answer for this but didn't want to use this question as one of our two questions after thinking about their possible answers.

POSSIBLE ANSWER #1: "No, the same Animated packaging will be used for these items."

POSSIBLE ANSWER #2: "Yes, the new Generations packaging will be used for these items."

Personally, I think it would be really smart to release Rodimus and Ironhide with the Generations packaging. I'm all about consistent branding. If TFA is out of life, I don't see the point in continuing with using the TFA packaging. I'm sure MIB collectors would like them to continue using the TFA packaging, but I don't think Hasbro cares about that as a reason.

I actually think this will depend on whether or not TFA Season 3 comes out on DVD this fall. If it does, I can see a point to continuing to keep these figures packaged in the traditional TFA packaging (which oddly never received a refresh during its long shelf life of 2 years).
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Mon May 03, 2010 8:09 am

Razorclaw0000 wrote:So what two questions were chosen? Also, was the pool of questions just this thread, or did it include questions from previous threads that have never been asked?

I just used the questions from this thread. It took me about forty minutes to pick the two questions. I asked about G1 Unicron and the Transformers Hall of Fame because I felt that both questions were relevant and I didn't have an answer for them.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Mon May 03, 2010 8:14 am

Gandalf wrote:You released Generation One Soundwave under the Classics line as a Toys R Us exclusive, and then Perceptor and the Insecticons under the Universe line. It seemed logical that Blaster would be the TRU exclusive for Generations, so why the change to an SDCC exclusive? Will another character be selected to uphold the tradition of non-vehicle TRU commemoratives for the Generations line? And please tell us that Blaster will also be available on Hasbro Toy Shop!

I don't think this "tradition" is intentional. They released Soundwave in 2007 because fans had been demanding a US release of the reissue and because they couldn't think of a better way to homage the figure in the Classics line. FunPub even used the reissue Soundwave as that character in the 2007 Botcon comic.

Perceptor and the Insecticons were reissued because Hasbro thought they were somehow relevant because of ROTF's Scalpel (aka "The Doctor") and Insecticons. I kind of get the Insecticons connection, but to me, saying there's a connection between Perceptor and Scalpel is a stretch other than they're both microscopes.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Mon May 03, 2010 8:18 am

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Arlekkin wrote:Sorry but another question came to mind....

So everybody knows that when the Transformers came out in the early 80s, Takara could not release some characters such as Shockwave and Skyfire, as they were the property of other companies. Now, does Hasbro have the rights to all of Takara's character inventory including the e-hobby exclusive characters? And if yes, are we gonna see any of those characters in any future line?

I think the BotCon Bug Bite, Deathsaurus, Universe Leo Prime and the canceled Victory Saber pretty much confirmed that. :P

Takara and Hasbro both share the rights to these characters. Takara Tomy can do whatever they want with these characters, as can Hasbro. The real issue with the unreleased figures in Japan has more to do with Takara didn't want to promote products from their direct competitors in the Japanese market.

I'd love to know why Europe got screwed on some G1 figures. I don't think they got Shockwave or Swoop.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Mon May 03, 2010 8:22 am

LiKwid wrote:Will Botcon continue to be overseen by funpub in the future or do they have a "contract" of sorts to run the con? With the delays in the registration( understandably) will Hasbro look elsewhere for a company to run their Con?

sorry had to get this off my chest LOL

I really wanted to ask some variation of this question but didn't after considering their possible answers. I'm assuming there is an actual contract between FunPub and Hasbro so if (in theory) Hasbro was unhappy with FunPub, they probably would be extremely limited with what they can legally say in a response.

As unhappy as I am with the registration process and the lines during the first day or two at the con, I do have to give FunPub credit for turning a so-so 2 day convention into an actual 5 day event. BotCon today is night-and-day different from how it used to be. I just wish they'd listen to a few of us and actually make some changes (though admittedly, they did listen to us about the online registration ... I just wish they hadn't waited until the last minute).
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Mon May 03, 2010 8:26 am

guardianprime wrote:When designing a new transformer do you ever take into concideration with other hasbro toy lines?
the most specific example i can think of would be motorcycles which my this time most of us have realized are pretty close to being in scale with G.I. Joe figures. is this ever on purpose and do you have any plans (other than the one known G.I.Joe transforming motorcycle) to exploit this in the future?

Hasbro has been asked about this year after year in various ways. For whatever reason, they seem not to want to do GiJoe / Transformers crossovers because they're concerned about brand confusion. A question similar to this was asked in a previous Q&A on another TF site ... anyone got a link to it? To me, it seems like it would be the greatest toy crossover line ever which I'm sure kids and adults everywhere would love.

One day ...

GiJoeTransformers1a.jpg
GiJoeTransformers1a.jpg (47.81 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Razorclaw0000 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:28 am

Motto: "Know that I am Razorclaw, that my reality is not yours, and while I share Tigerhawk's dual Spark and Vok heritage...
I am NOT he!"
Weapon: Ion Particle Blaster
Seibertron wrote:
Razorclaw0000 wrote:So what two questions were chosen? Also, was the pool of questions just this thread, or did it include questions from previous threads that have never been asked?

I just used the questions from this thread. It took me about forty minutes to pick the two questions. I asked about G1 Unicron and the Transformers Hall of Fame because I felt that both questions were relevant and I didn't have an answer for them.

Fair enough. ;-)

In regards to the Animated figures not being released, I suspect we'll get a huge announcement at BotCon, or a very conspicuous lack of an announcement.
Razorclaw0000
Gestalt
News Credits: 609
Buy from Razorclaw0000 on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Seibertron » Mon May 03, 2010 8:31 am

Constantine wrote:
Optillamanus wrote:
Constantine wrote:What is Hasbro's views of third-party outfits, like Fans Project, Head Robots, Mastermind, and old-timers like ReproLabels? Does Hasbro feel that these fan-based products hurt sales of Hasbro products, or help them by increasing the overall popularity of the franchise?

Theres's no way they're gonna boost popularity. They're marketed towards people who are already fans; people who aren't Transformers fans probably don't know 3rd party companies exist.

I disagree. These products are marketed primarily over the internet, and I think that the rise of fandom on the internet is what kept the franchise alive and allowed it to make the comeback that we're now all enjoying. The toys can stand by themselves, or their popularity can be increased by comics, TV shows, and such. I'm putting third-party toys into that same category.

I actually agree with Optillamanus. The 3rd party products are geared and marketed toward existing Transformers fans. I think because of the extreme popularity in Transformers right now that small companies like Fans Project can exist.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Mon May 03, 2010 8:31 am

Darkclyde wrote:Will Hasbro export the latest Animated Lines (Blackout, Arcee)in mass quantity to Southeast Asian region? (regarding that Arcee is hard-to-find on the US market)

I think you're going to have to import these figures from Japan.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Mon May 03, 2010 8:32 am

Jetstorm9221 wrote:Is there any reason for Animated Blitzwing having buttons in his arms?

Anyone got some speculation on this?
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Mon May 03, 2010 8:38 am

Mkall wrote:How far along is Hasbro in moving its production to Vietnam? We've seen a leader-class Starscream so far with the Made in Vietnam stamp. What does moving to Vietnam mean in terms of quality/quantity of current/future productions?

Wasn't sure about these questions. I'm assuming the Q3/Q4 2010 products will be made in Vietnam, especially if that Leader Class Starscream is any indication. I'd like to know the reason behind the move. Hopefully the move is to a more secure factory ... one where products don't constantly leak. I also hope that quality will remain the same or improve.

Mkall wrote:It's seeming to be a trend that figures are getting seriously redone instead of a simple repaint; not that repaints aren't done, but one has to look at Recon Ironhide and the mentioned Drift/Blurrz re-do. Is this going to be a new direction for Transformers?

I think the popularity of this brand and Hasbro's sales figures speak to the answer for this. The more popular the brand is, the more we'll see of things like this. Remolding Ironhide and Bumblebee was a great way to get more life out of the same character with a new "mold". They gave us an insane amount of Bumblebees and a bunch of Ironhides ... after they milked the original molds, they gave them some remoldings which I think requires them to create a new physical mold for the factory so that they can continue to profit off their initial investment.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Editor » Mon May 03, 2010 8:44 am

Motto: ""I'm not even supposed to be here today!""
Weapon: Shotgun
Thanks for using the HOF question Ryan.

I love they are doing it, I just hope they have a better plan behind it than just "hey this character is now a hall of famer"
http://www.seibertron.com/heavymetalwar/team_view.php?id=27919
Once I ran an Anime festival with over 6,000 attendees. Now... not so much.
Editor
City Commander
News Credits: 9
Watch Editor on YouTube
Buy from Editor on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Postby It Is Him » Mon May 03, 2010 9:48 am

Editor wrote:Thanks for using the HOF question Ryan.

I love they are doing it, I just hope they have a better plan behind it than just "hey this character is now a hall of famer"

I was kinda wondering the same thing. They could release a special toy to commemorate the event. Like you know, an action master or something.
Come join us at THE PUPPY THREAD

BeastProwl wrote:What the **** is wrong with you?
It Is Him
City Commander
News Credits: 16

Postby Counterpunch » Mon May 03, 2010 10:08 am

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
Seibertron wrote:
Jetstorm9221 wrote:Is there any reason for Animated Blitzwing having buttons in his arms?

Anyone got some speculation on this?

They aren't buttons, it's like an automorph to add bulk to him. I believe that they need to depress in one of his vehicle modes to fit properly.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Strength: 6
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby Seibertron » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:13 pm

Hasbro has sent us back responses for the two questions that we sent them last month. Here're the questions and Hasbro's answers for May 2010:

1. Fans were treated to a huge surprise at BotCon 2009 when they got to see not one but two G1 Unicrons on display. This was an item that many kids from the 80s dreamed of owning and as adults they still do. What can you tell us about the original G1 Unicron toy that was on display at BotCon 2009? How many of them are there? Any chance we'll ever see the G1 Unicron or G1 Arcee made?

Hasbro wrote:We were really happy to have had been able to display the Unicron toy at last year's convention. Besides being a great item to be able to display for our collectors, we also see it as an opportunity to educate the next generation of TF fans on the vast history of the brand.

for your more specific questions: 1) we are not sure on the exact number of G1 Unicrons, we do know that it is very rare; 2) there are no plans to release a G1 Unicron or Arcee.

2. We haven't heard much regarding the point of the Transformers Hall of Fame and how it will move forward beyond this initial year and induction at Botcon. Will future inductions be held in similar fashion of company picks and fan picks or will it be more fan controlled? And what is the greater point for the Hall, seeing it should be tied to greater media exposure. Is this all just publicity for ramping up excitement within the fan community, without actively having a pay-off beyond the possibility of backing the winning candidate for the 5th spot? Could this possibly be used for a "Transformers Hall-of-Fame" subline of the upcoming Generations toyline?

Hasbro wrote:Overall, our objective for establishing the Transformers Hall of Fame was to create an annual event that celebrated the accomplishments of the people and characters that have had a significant impact on the brand. Thus, you can expect that every year there will be more people and characters inducted into the Transformers Hall of Fame through a combination of Hasbro and fan input.

Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby joeformer » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:31 pm

I have to ask this cause its driving me nuts. With all the human characters in the movies and in the idw comics. Will there ever be little mini articulated in scale figures made for the movie line and the classics line. Please make them. It feels like the toy line is not complete without them. I know about the human alliance line which is great. But I would love to see some mini figures for the classics and movie universe. Please. :grin: :grin:
joeformer
Mini-Con

Postby zenosaurus_x » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:45 pm

Weapon: Electron-Scimitars
Well, I'll try again.....
First Question:Why are the larger characters often made excessively small? I can understand that they may be too big to make accurate but then why make them outright tiny? For example Movie BoneCrusher and Classics Trypticon or even Grimlock are very small.

Second Question:From the ROTF line, why are there new molds of characters who were not in the movie, but a few characters in the movie don't have toys? My example here would pretty much just be Scrapper though....as OverLoad and Hightower don't TransForm in the movie...

I asked them in more detail last time...but I'd really like those answered....
zenosaurus_x
Headmaster
Strength: 10+
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+

Postby It Is Him » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:48 pm

Seibertron wrote:
Hasbro wrote:Overall, our objective for establishing the Transformers Hall of Fame was to create an annual event that celebrated the accomplishments of the people and characters that have had a significant impact on the brand. Thus, you can expect that every year there will be more people and characters inducted into the Transformers Hall of Fame through a combination of Hasbro and fan input.

Gee, that's boring.
Come join us at THE PUPPY THREAD

BeastProwl wrote:What the **** is wrong with you?
It Is Him
City Commander
News Credits: 16

Postby zenosaurus_x » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:56 pm

Weapon: Electron-Scimitars
Yeah it...kinda is....
They should mix it up a bit, maybe make some different groups, if someone is good enough to be IN the Hall of Fame...we probably already know who it is......
zenosaurus_x
Headmaster
Strength: 10+
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+

Postby Amelie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:06 pm

Motto: "I-I'm sorry.. I-I'll be going now.."
Weapon: No Weapon
Seibertron wrote:I don't think they got Shockwave or Swoop.

The UK certainly didn't get these two lovelies. I got Swoop last year after importing him from America. Then got shafted by the import-tax man. :lol:

The fact they don't know how many Unicrons were produced is curious. I'm wondering if they prematurely started mass-production but failed the toy safty tests? It's a possible explanation as to why we see full production toys, but they're unclear as to the numbers - otherwise it would be very odd not to know how many prototypes produced.
Burn wrote:Let it be known, I murdered Amelie.
Accidentally.

Back from the dead, like some curious zombie amalgam...
Amelie
Godmaster
News Credits: 33
Alt Mode: Unicrons Transformation Cog
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 4
Courage: 5
Firepower: 1
Skill: 10

Postby Seibertron » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:46 pm

Amelie wrote:
Seibertron wrote:I don't think they got Shockwave or Swoop.

The UK certainly didn't get these two lovelies. I got Swoop last year after importing him from America. Then got shafted by the import-tax man. :lol:

The fact they don't know how many Unicrons were produced is curious. I'm wondering if they prematurely started mass-production but failed the toy safty tests? It's a possible explanation as to why we see full production toys, but they're unclear as to the numbers - otherwise it would be very odd not to know how many prototypes produced.

I'm sure Hasbro knows or doesn't want to disclose that information. I imagine it has more to do with the person who answered the questions didn't really look into it as both of the answers provided were pretty generic. I thought asking about something that didn't have to do with current or upcoming releases would reveal more fruitful answers but I was wrong. I was really hoping they would provide some neat information about the G1 Unicron toy. I think I could've provided the answer they gave us.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Amelie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:53 pm

Motto: "I-I'm sorry.. I-I'll be going now.."
Weapon: No Weapon
Seibertron wrote:both of the answers provided were pretty generic. I thought asking about something that didn't have to do with current or upcoming releases would reveal more fruitful answers but I was wrong. I was really hoping they would provide some neat information about the G1 Unicron toy. I think I could've provided the answer they gave us.

Maybe we should've phrased it something like "Why wasn't the original G1 Unicron released? Was it due to pricing or toy safety issues?". Or some clever was to avoid the generic answers. :-?
Burn wrote:Let it be known, I murdered Amelie.
Accidentally.

Back from the dead, like some curious zombie amalgam...
Amelie
Godmaster
News Credits: 33
Alt Mode: Unicrons Transformation Cog
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 4
Courage: 5
Firepower: 1
Skill: 10

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformer Combiner Wars Generations complete +box Leader 2015 230325A"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Generations Alt-Modes Series 1 Hasbro 2016"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Trypticon RAMP (RIGHT HIP) Transformers Titans Return part accs 2017 230817E"
Trypticon RAMP (RI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LIFT-TICKET Transformers Legacy Deluxe Generations Selects Hasbro 2022 New"
LIFT-TICKET Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Protectobot ROOK Transformers Generations Combiner Wars IDW pack-in comic book"
Protectobot ROOK T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE #2 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926T"
TRANSFORMERS UNIVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MICRONUS CLOUDBURST Transformers Power Primes Prime Master POTP 2017 230713B"
MICRONUS CLOUDBURS ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SERGEANT KUP Transformers Generations Deluxe complete Hasbro 2010 230920A"
SERGEANT KUP Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CYCLONUS + NIGHTSTICK Transformers Classics Universe Deluxe complete 230920A"
CYCLONUS + NIGHTST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DK-3 BREAKER Transformers Legacy Deluxe Generations Selects Hasbro 2022 New"
DK-3 BREAKER Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE #2 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926S"
TRANSFORMERS UNIVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ANTAGONY Transformers Legacy Generations Selects Voyager 2023 New"
ANTAGONY Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TURBO TRACKS Transformers Generations Reveal Shield Deluxe complete 2010 230809A"
TURBO TRACKS Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COSMOS Transformers Titans Return Generations Legends complete+more 2017 230429A"
COSMOS Transformer ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Cyclonus Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Buzzsaw Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Furos and Hardhead" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force 1-Step Changer Soundwave" on AMAZON