This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Seibertron.com Reviews Renderform's RF-003 DJ Rockblast

Do you love your new Hercules set? Can't get enough of FansProject's items? Upset that you bought a knock off when you thought you were getting an original? Use this forum to tell everyone your thoughts about unlicensed and knock off TF products.

Seibertron.com Reviews Renderform's RF-003 DJ Rockblast

Postby Razorclaw0000 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:39 am

Motto: "Know that I am Razorclaw, that my reality is not yours, and while I share Tigerhawk's dual Spark and Vok heritage...
I am NOT he!"
Weapon: Ion Particle Blaster
RenderForm, the high-end garage kit company by Seibertron.com member Venksta, has tackled the impossible - giving Blaster fans every possible head they could ever want, and a reason to actually own the uninspired 2008 Universe Blaster. Dubbed "RF-003 DJ Rockblast", this kit will convert your mediocre Universe Blaster into everyone's favorite Cybertronian Hipster (or brooding loner) - G1 Blaster.

Choices, Choices

Few other characters in Transformers history have been portrayed as inconsistently as Blaster.

His toy appearance features eyes inset into a visor, rounded head, straight ears:

His cartoon designs generally show him with a smooth face, rounded head, and angled ears:

Finally, his comic appearances take a radical departure, showcasing a red and yellow face, and squared off ears:

Although, in his IDW Spotlight, Blaster returns to his toy form, but with the original comic squared off ears:

So, if you're a Blaster fan, but not a fan of the toy, you may despair to yourself at night, believing you have no alternatives. You would be wrong! The DJ Rockblast kit comes with heads, visors, and faces to reproduce any comic and cartoon appearance!

Just take a gander at these:

Comic head

Cartoon head

IDW head

Renderform has built a clever set of interchangeable faces and visors, which slot in securely to either version of the helmet. A full set comes with three faces, four visors, and two heads for maximum Blaster customization. Every one is excellent and expressive, they fit together snugly and feel durable. These are hand painted pieces with very small details, so I did notice some very minor paint application issues, particularly on the eyes of the visored silver face. There's a tiny spot where the paint didn't stick. However, they still look great!

Unfortunately, the heads are incompatible with Device Label Blaster completely.

But wait, there's more!

In addition to the dizzying array of cranial customizations, RF-003 comes with a correctly sized (though still comically large) version of Blaster's signature Electro-Scrambler Gun. The gun is excellent and weighty with great molded detail. The kit also includes a re-imagined version of Blaster's Action Master Gun, with equally impressive molded teeth and vents. Both guns fit will in any 5mm fist hole:

The kit also includes a Backpack/Weapon which can hold the other guns in robot mode, and store in vehicle mode:

Finally, the kit includes a certificate of authenticity with some wicked CGI renderings of Universe Blaster and a small sticker sheet which can be used to mask off Blaster's tape door to appear more G1 accurate, like the Universe box art:

The kit shows an excellent attention to detail, rivaling FansProject in it's slavish devotion to give you everything you'd possibly need.

It's not all perfect

There are a few slight issues with the kit that I'd be remiss if I didn't point out. I've contacted Venksta about them, and they appear to be inconsistent, so as always, use caution and common sense. Renderform and Seibertron.com are not responsible for any damage done to your figure when using this upgrade.

• The sticker isn't very sticky. Make sure you clean the area first. Also, my Blaster had poor paint apps on the chest door, so it was tough to line up. Go slowly, use tweezers.
  • There is some mold flash you may want to sand down gently.
  • Be careful when inserting the backpack. The hole in the back is not a 5mm hole, and the backpack peg is graduated, but mine was just a hair too tight and forced the backpack on. My Blaster now has a minor split in the ring. The backpack still holds, but use caution!
  • The ball joint for the new heads did widen the neck hole on my figure, and the original head is floppy now. If I wanted to return Blaster to factory state, I'd need a few coats of clear nail polish to build up the original ball.

Despite a few flaws, this kit is a worthy addition to an otherwise worthless figure, elevating Universe Blaster from "meh" to "holy crap". I personally cannot recommend the kit enough, and as long as you apply some common sense and caution, the kit will give you years of enjoyment. I am impressed that Venksta put the care and thought into this set that he did, and am ecstatic to include it in my collection!

You can view Renderform's galleries of RF-003 here and here, or send a PM to Venksta to order. You can also read our review of Renderform's RF-002 Empyrean Espionage Kit.
Razorclaw0000
Gestalt
News Credits: 609
Buy from Razorclaw0000 on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Seibertron.com Reviews Renderform's RF-003 DJ Rockblast

Postby Tigertrack » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:17 am

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Looking forward to getting mine.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby Oilspill » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:58 am

That's cool, I never realised how much stuff was included. That man's a genius.

I don't own Universe Blaster, but I'll be picking up the gun for my Device Label Blaster. He is in desperate need of some firepower. :D

I'm looking forward to the head/weapons and perhaps even powermaster that Venksta has lined up for Universe Darkwing. That's going to be awesome! 8)
Oilspill
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 5

Postby rpetras » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:40 am

Motto: "Know your enemy, then crush them."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
While I have no interest in this set as I LOATHE that mold, I will say that I have several other head sets from Venksta, and I am extremely happy with them.
For Sale:
Classics Magnus/Skywarp 2 pack MIB
Classics Devastator MIP
HA Sideswipe K-Mart exclusive color Loose

Currently looking for:
ROTF Target exclusive Sideswipe from the 2-pack
TFCC Punch/Counterpunch
Alternity Primes, silver & white versions
(opened is OK, to be used for customs)

PM If interested
rpetras
City Commander
News Credits: 1
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 4
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby Windsweeper » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:29 pm

Looks great.

Only hope that some day they do a G1 head set for ROTF Nightbeat and Generations Skullgrin.
Windsweeper
Godmaster

Postby Lapse Of Reason » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Weapon: Sword
While I appreciate the work put into this and the value of what you get, I still don't think this is better than device label Blaster. Universe Blaster goes from a horrible figure to a so-so figure. A definite improvement, but I disagree that Universe Blaster is escalated to a "holy crap" figure.
Lapse Of Reason
Gestalt
News Credits: 10
Buy from Lapse Of Reason on eBay
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10+
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: ???
Skill: 10+

Postby Blurrz » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:59 pm

Motto: "scream drive faster"
Weapon: Electro-Laser Cannon
Looks wonderful. I can't wait for the RF Darkwind add-ons.
Blurrz
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 1452
Strength: 7
Speed: 10
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Postby Razorclaw0000 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:02 pm

Motto: "Know that I am Razorclaw, that my reality is not yours, and while I share Tigerhawk's dual Spark and Vok heritage...
I am NOT he!"
Weapon: Ion Particle Blaster
Lapse Of Reason wrote:While I appreciate the work put into this and the value of what you get, I still don't think this is better than device label Blaster. Universe Blaster goes from a horrible figure to a so-so figure. A definite improvement, but I disagree that Universe Blaster is escalated to a "holy crap" figure.

You're definitely entitled to your opinion, but DL Blaster feels like such a waste of money. If it were $10-$20, and had no USB circuitry, I'd like it much more. RF-003 is pricey, and ends up costing the same as DL when you include U Blaster, but it feels like there's more to it.
Razorclaw0000
Gestalt
News Credits: 609
Buy from Razorclaw0000 on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Firepower: 10

Postby Flashwave » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:41 am

Motto: "Our society's downfall will not be this war. The war IS our society. That which will get us will be the little things. Some humanoid race, some tossed cannon, the little things that no one looks out for. THAT is for what we must be vigilant."
Weapon: Twin Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launchers
Sadly, I have to join in the negatory on this, as well. I love the work Venksta did (though the comic head still looks like Drix...) but Uni Blaster just has too much black on him. If they felt the red on the wings would have been too much, then they sgholda done more of the beige/eleohant grey. The black is just too much.
Flashwave
City Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 9
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 7

Postby Counterpunch » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
I got my set and there's a lot of value for what you get.

I purchased the IDW head and the rest of the kit.

The Action Master gun(s) are great and so is the backpack. I did sand the backpack peg down at Razorclaw's advisement.

Now, I did have issue with flash molding on all of the parts I got. Every one of them had to be cleaned and carved down. This is no problem for me. I know that goes with the territory. The gun handles were too big as well though and that was a bit strange. I had to carve them down a good deal to allow them to fit.

Universe Blaster got the little guns and I gave DL Blaster the larger rifle. He can't really support the weight of it though, so, everyone should be aware of that.

Good set and upgrade kit. It's worth the price, but be aware that you will likely have to do some work with it.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Strength: 6
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Return to Unlicensed and KO Transformers Toys

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #25 Cvr A IDW Comics 2020 SEP200483 25A (CA) Hernandez"
TRANSFORMERS #25 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #13 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 DEC210544 13B (CA) Johnson"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #2 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 2D 1223IM262 (CA) ACO"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #2 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers MOVIE PREQUEL #1 RE IDW Comics 2007 1RE Brian's Toys 230323"
Transformers MOVIE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #6 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 MAY210470 6RI (CA) Roche"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 4th ptg Image Comics 2023 1023IM893 (CA) Torque (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 4th ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #33 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Parkhouse (CA) Vess 231222T"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 5th ptg Image Comics 2024 1023IM893 (CA) Lindsay (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 5th ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE #1 Marvel Comics 1986 (A/CA) Perlin (W) Macchio 230915P"
TRANSFORMERS THE M ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #6 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2024 Skybound 0124IM321 6C (CA) Arocena"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #6 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr ZZ30 Seibertron.com Exclusive Image Comics 2023 (CA) Ferrari"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers WARS END #4 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2022 MAR220510 4RI (CA) Khanna"
Transformers WARS ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #11 Marvel Comics 1985 (A/CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926F"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 3rd ptg Image Comics 2023 1023IM896 (CA) Parel + Chuong"
TRANSFORMERS #1 3r ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Air Raid Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Onslaught Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Speed Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON