Spread the word on this guys, our Internet is under threat.
There is a speck of good news though, even some of the bills own sponsors are having second thoughts, and will be asking to delay its cloture vote (a vote to skip any extended discussion and rush it through)
The battle is still far from over though, please be sure you do all you can to make your representatives aware of your opposition to this bill.
As far as the blackout on the 18th is concerned, Reddit.com are spearheading the drive and many other websites have already signed up to it in various forms including blacking out their websites completely, altering their layout and taking down their YouTube channels and Facebook pages for the day. Even Wikipedia are hoping to join the blackout
as long as the vote for it gets through on the commons (we'll find out Monday or Tuesday)
Va'al wrote:I was wondering.. how would this affect resources which are not U.S. based?
Would it mostly lie within the area of copyright depositing, or is it on the actual broadcasting/hosting/whathaveyou side of things?
Firstly, to clarify, I'm British and live in that most blessed part of England, Manchester. I wrote this article as I don't have a representative to contact so this is me doing my part - if even just a handful if US members contact their politicians and say "what the hell do you think you are doing?!" who wouldn't have done otherwise, then I'll have done my bit.
As I understand it, this Bill effects the UK and Australia and Europe and everywhere else primarily as the Internet is comprised of .com websites, all
of which are owned/operated by the US and therefore come under US jurisdiction regardless of the country the servers are based in. If its a .com, .org, .net then its an 'American' site, regardless of who owns it.
Also, think about the knock-on effect: Seibertron.com gets shut-down an d the American posters can no longer access it. Lets just assume the site stays up, it would be like a ghost town here. At a guess I'd say a good 75% of this sites membership is from the US so that leaves the 25% of us non-Americans with a very large but empty site. No traffic, no HMW opponents, no one to talk to.
Now apply that to Facebook. Wikipedia. YouTube. Twitter.
It isn't just America that will suffer from this.