Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Transformers 3 is scheduled to be released on July 1st, 2011. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby Rodimus Prime » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:43 pm

Motto: "There are way too many people on this planet. We need a new plague."
Weapon: Twin Photon Blasters
Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=91761

ComingSoon wrote:With "Transformers: The Ride-3D" now open at Universal Studios Hollywood, film franchise director Michael Bay stopped by the ride and spoke with The LA Times about his plans for his fourth -- and, as he stated recently final -- Transformers film, set to hit theaters on June 27, 2014.

“It’s not a reboot," Bay said, reiterating that the new film will have an all-new cast. "That’s maybe the wrong word. I don’t want to say 'reboot' because then people will think we’re doing a 'Spider-Man' and starting from the beginning. We’re not. We’re taking the story that you’ve seen - the story we’ve told in three movies already - and we’re taking it in a new direction. But we’re leaving those three as the history. It all still counts... We’re moving on to something different."

Though the script, currently being drafted by Ehren Kruger, is not yet final, Bay hints that one place the fourth film may go is into outer space.

"That feels like the way to go, doesn’t it?" says Bay. "I want to go a little off [the planet] but I don’t want to go too sci-fi. I still want to keep it grounded."

No matter what, Bay says that one element of the new production is to scale back the budget somewhat to around $165 million, about $30 million less than 2011's Transformers: Dark of the Moon.
............Image
..............................Rule 32: "You've got to enjoy the little things."
User avatar
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
Posts: 15359
News Credits: 17
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2002 8:31 pm
Location: Western Kentucky

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby Capt.Failure » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:02 pm

Rodimus Prime wrote:Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=91761

ComingSoon wrote:With "Transformers: The Ride-3D" now open at Universal Studios Hollywood, film franchise director Michael Bay stopped by the ride and spoke with The LA Times about his plans for his fourth -- and, as he stated recently final -- Transformers film, set to hit theaters on June 27, 2014.

“It’s not a reboot," Bay said, reiterating that the new film will have an all-new cast. "That’s maybe the wrong word. I don’t want to say 'reboot' because then people will think we’re doing a 'Spider-Man' and starting from the beginning. We’re not. We’re taking the story that you’ve seen - the story we’ve told in three movies already - and we’re taking it in a new direction. But we’re leaving those three as the history. It all still counts... We’re moving on to something different."

Though the script, currently being drafted by Ehren Kruger, is not yet final, Bay hints that one place the fourth film may go is into outer space.

"That feels like the way to go, doesn’t it?" says Bay. "I want to go a little off [the planet] but I don’t want to go too sci-fi. I still want to keep it grounded."

No matter what, Bay says that one element of the new production is to scale back the budget somewhat to around $165 million, about $30 million less than 2011's Transformers: Dark of the Moon.


Well aside from Kruger working on the script again I must say this is the first time I've been worried about a Transformers film not delivering the goods. Not due to the lower budget, since $165 million is hardly a low budget film by any standard. Rather it's because, honestly, it seems their going to make this based partially on the post-'86 movie seasons of G1. Those were some of the worst in animated canon with only the Energon cartoons able to dethrone it.

Also a note on the lower budget: If the film is set in space it could bring down the budget since they'd have to do a lot less location shooting. It costs much to rent out parts of cities and carry all that film equipment around.
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 am

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby Evil_the_Nub » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:09 pm

Motto: "Feel free to die when you've had enough."
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
This is what I was hoping for. I doubt they'll kill Optimus again so that'll be a big improvement over post movie G1.
Image
NewFoundStarscreamLuv wrote:me and my friends combine all the time. Sometimes I even combine by myself if no one is around.
User avatar
Evil_the_Nub
Gestalt
Posts: 2389
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:47 am
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby TulioDude » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Motto: "Never doubt the awesomess."
Weapon: Energo-Sword
I hope we still have Earth modes though.
Image
User avatar
TulioDude
Brainmaster
Posts: 1267
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 6:20 pm
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 9
Rank: 3
Courage: 8
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby Capt.Failure » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Evil_the_Nub wrote:This is what I was hoping for. I doubt they'll kill Optimus again so that'll be a big improvement over post movie G1.


True enough. Here's hoping if Hotrod shows up its' as an extra at best.
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 am

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby SlyTF1 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:41 pm

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
I'm excited for this. But why keep it grounded? This is Transformers! Shit's never been grounded, why go there now? I want big Cybertron battles like in the beginning of DOTM. They almost got it right, but it was short an didn't show much of the personal action. They just showed a dog fight with the battle going on in the background. I want actual Cybertron battles. I hope the final battle takes place partially in space and partially on earth. Something like what Mass Effect 3 did; while there's a battle on the ground, there's also stuff blowing up in space between massive Autobot and Decepticon ships.
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
City Commander
Posts: 3936
News Credits: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby Capt.Failure » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:12 pm

SlyTF1 wrote:I'm excited for this. But why keep it grounded? This is Transformers! Shit's never been grounded, why go there now? I want big Cybertron battles like in the beginning of DOTM. They almost got it right, but it was short an didn't show much of the personal action. They just showed a dog fight with the battle going on in the background. I want actual Cybertron battles. I hope the final battle takes place partially in space and partially on earth. Something like what Mass Effect 3 did; while there's a battle on the ground, there's also stuff blowing up in space between massive Autobot and Decepticon ships.


You know, as much as I hated ME3's ending that space battle was awesome.
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 am

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby SlyTF1 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:02 pm

Motto: "Destruction is the ultimate freedom."
Weapon: Plasma Beam Rifle
Capt.Failure wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:I'm excited for this. But why keep it grounded? This is Transformers! Shit's never been grounded, why go there now? I want big Cybertron battles like in the beginning of DOTM. They almost got it right, but it was short an didn't show much of the personal action. They just showed a dog fight with the battle going on in the background. I want actual Cybertron battles. I hope the final battle takes place partially in space and partially on earth. Something like what Mass Effect 3 did; while there's a battle on the ground, there's also stuff blowing up in space between massive Autobot and Decepticon ships.


You know, as much as I hated ME3's ending that space battle was awesome.


The actual ending itself sucked, but everything else was badass.
The Game You lose
Image
User avatar
SlyTF1
City Commander
Posts: 3936
News Credits: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:34 am
Watch SlyTF1 on YouTube
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby Slashercon » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:09 pm

Motto: "Victory without effort, is failure!!"
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
I prefer little details with the autobots bickering, discussing thier plans in a ship while being shot at by decepticons in space...Just something I would like to see in TF4. As for the news, I honestly am not too thrilled on the films budget. I also hope that if and when we go into space for the movie, we see some robot on robot action via space ships and fighter jets. Would be cool to see.
User avatar
Slashercon
Vehicon
Posts: 327
News Credits: 2
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:18 pm
Location: Creighton, Pennsylvania
Watch Slashercon on YouTube
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby El Duque » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:44 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
Director Michael Bay recently shared some details about his upcoming fourth live action Transformers film with the LA Times. Bay reiterates that this will not be a reboot, though there will be an all new cast. He also hints that this film may see the action move off planet. The fourth film, which is currently being written by Ehren Kruger, will see a smaller budget than that of Transformers: DOTM, approximately $165 million.

“It’s not a reboot," Bay said, reiterating that the new film will have an all-new cast. "That’s maybe the wrong word. I don’t want to say 'reboot' because then people will think we’re doing a 'Spider-Man' and starting from the beginning. We’re not. We’re taking the story that you’ve seen - the story we’ve told in three movies already - and we’re taking it in a new direction. But we’re leaving those three as the history. It all still counts... We’re moving on to something different."


"That feels like the way to go, doesn’t it?" says Bay. "I want to go a little off [the planet] but I don’t want to go too sci-fi. I still want to keep it grounded."
User avatar
El Duque
News Admin
Posts: 9882
News Credits: 88
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:57 pm
Location: tornado alley

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby xyl360 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Hmm...new planet, new cast, new takes on the appearance of the robots and the first three movies are in the 'history' of this new film?

I smell BEAST WARS!!! :twisted:
Image
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I am that which is, which was, and is yet to come.

And you will know my name is MEGATRON when I lay my vengeance upon you!
User avatar
xyl360
Gestalt
Posts: 2916
News Credits: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:54 am

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby Seibertron » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Motto: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest ... is silence."
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Considering that we're a year or more away from filming, I'd take all of this with a grain of salt. Moving the story into space, and possibly toward restoring Cybertron, would be awesome.
Image

Current Want List: Beast Wars Returns Strika, Sixknight (stickers or replacement), Browning, Dai Atlas, Guard City, Battle Gaia, Marlboro Wheeljack, and more!
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 23169
News Credits: 733
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby Rated X » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Leave out the humans...
Image

Check out my Customs:

Classics Pounce and Wingspan
classics-pounce-and-wingspan-t95811.php

Generations Twincast
generations-twincast-t94088.php

Collection photos will be updated soon at this link :
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/rated-x-s-collection-t55699.php
User avatar
Rated X
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5629
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:05 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
The mention of a smaller budget worries me. It won't be a problem if he saves some cash by going easy on the overseas locations (Egypt, China, Jordan, etc.) and superfluous explosions, but if he skimps on the CGI, that means less screen time for the bots.

On the other hand, if they're going to tell the story in space, then they can't possibly skimp on the CGI.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Posts: 2198
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 pm
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby YRQRM0 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:15 pm

I would prefer a reboot. I don't even know if Cybertron is still there, I had thought the first movie said it was destroyed and uninhabitable. So many characters have disappeared/reappeared without explanation, so many good namesakes have been used, Megatron's been revived/fixed/reformatted too much, etc...

I understand a lot of these things can be somewhat explained/patched with comics/novels, but they shouldn't have to be. If Bay didn't make awesome action sequences, I would want an entirely new director. I hope this movie, if not a reboot, will have some allmighty reviving mechanism or something, where they can basically give characters like Devastator the screentime they deserve.
User avatar
YRQRM0
Pretender
Posts: 755
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:26 pm
Watch YRQRM0 on YouTube
Strength: 6
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10
Rank: ???

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby T-Macksimus » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:24 pm

This kind of makes you wonder a bit whether or not someone may have been left behind to watch over the Nemesis and whether that someone is going to step up and fill the void now that every single main Decepticon is dead as a doornail.

This takes care of both the "off planet" aspect and the new enemy aspect.

Just please don't bring Uncron into the mix. This is going to be a suck-fest as it is without THAT lame storyline. It worked in 1986...ONCE! It should have stayed in 1986 where it was still cool. Now it's just freakin' old and so badly butchered that, for the life of me, I can't see why people get excited over it and want to see it bastardized yet again. :-x
"That which does not kill me...had better run pretty damn fast!"
T-Macksimus
Gestalt
Posts: 2243
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:49 pm
Location: I'm In The Witless Relocation Program

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby Capt.Failure » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:34 pm

SKYWARPED_128 wrote:The mention of a smaller budget worries me. It won't be a problem if he saves some cash by going easy on the overseas locations (Egypt, China, Jordan, etc.) and superfluous explosions, but if he skimps on the CGI, that means less screen time for the bots.

On the other hand, if they're going to tell the story in space, then they can't possibly skimp on the CGI.


Bays an expensive director because he prefers to use actual locations and physical effects unless he can absolutely avoid it. A film set in the future would negate many of the travel costs of filming on location.

T-Macksimus wrote:This is going to be a suck-fest as it is without THAT lame storyline.


That's an amazing review of a film that hasn't even left the planning stages yet. :APPLAUSE:
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 am

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby Autobot Megatron » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:46 pm

Motto: "That's just prime..."
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
xyl360 wrote:Hmm...new planet, new cast, new takes on the appearance of the robots and the first three movies are in the 'history' of this new film?

I smell BEAST WARS!!! :twisted:


If it isn't, I will kill you for getting my hopes up.

Still not really excited, though. Way too early, and I'm busy being excited for FOC right now anyways.
Autobot Megatron
Like Nemisis Prime, but cooler.
User avatar
Autobot Megatron
Fuzor
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:05 pm
Location: Uh, I'm right here, aren't I?

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby guarayakha » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:49 pm

Calling it now, Optimus driven to insanity by his guilt for causing the destruction of Cybertron ends up being Nemesis Prime, and it is now up to the rookie Autobot Hot Rodimus to bring him to justice!

Turns out Optimus is his father....

:D
guarayakha
Fuzor
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:09 pm

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby Capt.Failure » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:54 pm

guarayakha wrote:Calling it now, Optimus driven to insanity by his guilt for causing the destruction of Cybertron ends up being Nemesis Prime, and it is now up to the rookie Autobot Hot Rodimus to bring him to justice!

Turns out Optimus is his father....

:D


That's not true...that's IMPOSSIBLE!!! :sad:
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 898
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:06 am

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby SilverbeamPrime » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:58 pm

He killed Ironhide!!! who does that?! Which bot am i gonna be hopin to live now? He better bring bad ass character!! And keep Rodimus out. primus plzz no Rodimus o.o

Does that mean hes replacing Peter Cullen?! :shock:
SilverbeamPrime
Mini-Con
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:46 pm
Watch SilverbeamPrime on YouTube

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby Burn » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:00 am

They're just going back to spend more time on the moon.
Image

T-Macksimus wrote:If you have any high hopes or expectations you might as well leave them at the door because I will bet a shiny new Titan class Metroplex that Hasbro is going to screw us over on Arcee... AGAIN!

Did I win the bet? Vote now!
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38119
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby Seibertron » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:41 am

Motto: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest ... is silence."
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Capt.Failure wrote:Bays an expensive director because he prefers to use actual locations and physical effects unless he can absolutely avoid it. A film set in the future would negate many of the travel costs of filming on location.


Bay's not an expensive director, these are just expensive movies. He's the business man's director. Gets things done on time, when he says he will, and on budget. He delivers.

TF3's budget: $195 million
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers3.htm

TF2's budget: $200 million
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers2.htm

TF1's budget: $150 million
Image

Current Want List: Beast Wars Returns Strika, Sixknight (stickers or replacement), Browning, Dai Atlas, Guard City, Battle Gaia, Marlboro Wheeljack, and more!
User avatar
Seibertron
Site Owner
Posts: 23169
News Credits: 733
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:17 pm
Location: Chicago
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Rank: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby zodconvoy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:56 am

Motto: "Freedom is the right to KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!"
Guys, guys! Smaller budget because no globe trotting locations, smaller cast, the war on Earth already happened, in space/other planet, Megatron already dead? Still packed with all the nameless deaths and Baysplosions? Sound familiar to anyone?

We are talking possible "Last Stand of the Wreckers" movie here!

:KREMZEEK: :michaelbay: :DANCE: :BOWDOWN: :DANCE: :BOWDOWN: :DANCE: :michaelbay: :KREMZEEK:

All I ask is that Overlord be voiced by Clancy Brown. Whenever I read LSOTW, Overlord sounds like Animated Lex Luthor to me! =P~
Now for Sale!

HUGE MASTERPIECE CLEARANCE SALE!
NOW ON eBAY:

MP-10B BLACK CONVOY W/COIN!
TRU SOUNDWAVE LOOSE BUT COMPLETE!
FANS TOYS QUAKE WAVE!
PROWL & STREAK!
KO MP-10 CONVOY!
In the US and the cheapest on eBay!

Also:
Fansproject City Commander w/ Magnus & Reprolabels!
TFCC Dion w/ Coptor
Diablock Convoy

Visit My Store!
Image
User avatar
zodconvoy
City Commander
Posts: 3023
News Credits: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:47 am
Location: the Nemesis, PA
Buy from zodconvoy on eBay

Re: NEW! Bay: TF4 to have smaller budget, story to go into space.

Postby LiKwid » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:35 am

Motto: "When In doubt..Invert polarities!!!!"
Weapon: V-Lock Rifle, V-Lock Cannon
Yawn..Hopes will not be high for this release..You've fooled me 3 times Bay..
Image

Counterpunch wrote:FP sure does provide some F'd up head.

Sell me your Beast wars stuff!!!!
User avatar
LiKwid
Gestalt
Posts: 2080
News Credits: 8
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:01 pm
Location: San Antonio Tx
Buy from LiKwid on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 10
Rank: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #96 - Age of Extinction
Twincast / Podcast #96:
"Age of Extinction"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, July 7th, 2014