Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby First-Aid » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Motto: "This won't hurt me a bit."
Weapon: Laser Scalpel
First-Aid wrote:
I've said it before. This is how they pick their molds. How many characters can we repaint and create with a single mold? I'm very surprised we haven't seen Acid Storm yet.


Call me Nostradamus Prime.
Scalpel...blood bucket...priest...next patient!

Would ye care fer a wee nip of scotch whiskey?

Yes I am a Cubs fan. You may pity me now.
First-Aid
City Commander
Posts: 3776
News Credits: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:54 am
Location: A lone Bears household in CHeeseheadland...
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Rank: 6
Courage: 10
Firepower: 2
Skill: 10+

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:00 am

Motto: ""I am a warrior. Let the battle be joined.""
Weapon: Electron Gun
Bluestreak was my first Transformer ever. So I am so glad I've got him in G1, Classics, Alternator and now masterpiece. :D
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.

My reviews of Transformers G1, one episode at a time. Stop by for a spell!
RK_Striker_JK_5
City Commander
Posts: 3362
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:48 pm
Location: New Hampshire
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10
Rank: 2
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby warzon3 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:44 pm

I think Bluestreak, was my first TF that was not a mini-bot too...hmm it seems like a couple people are saying the same thing, I wonder if they overproduced him back in the day or something? For example, I don't think me or any of my friends ever owned a Sideswipe, he must have been hard to find?
warzon3
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby Son of Carl » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:38 pm

warzon3 wrote:I think Bluestreak, was my first TF that was not a mini-bot too...hmm it seems like a couple people are saying the same thing, I wonder if they overproduced him back in the day or something? For example, I don't think me or any of my friends ever owned a Sideswipe, he must have been hard to find?


My best friend when I was a kid had Sideswipe, actually he only had Autobots. Which is funny because I only had Decepticons. The only Autobot I ever got was a few years into the line, it was Kup. So I didn't have any of the good Autobots when I was a kid. I knew a couple of kids that had Sideswipe. But I didn't know anyone that had Hound, Sunstreaker, or Bluestreak.
User avatar
Son of Carl
Micromaster
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:09 am
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 10
Rank: 4
Courage: 10
Firepower: 4
Skill: 5

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby gothsaurus » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:29 am

I'm hoping that if Takara has a good start - using a number of high-repaint-possible bots - that the line will be a good seller.

Then with people having 6 or so G1 bots in their lineup already, that they'll continue to buy them... and the line will continue, even with more obscure robots with less repaint potential.

*crosses fingers*
User avatar
gothsaurus
Godmaster
Posts: 1634
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:30 am

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby Jazz813 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:07 pm

When I saw the listings by bbts, I was glad that he will be as a Masterpiece, too but not surprised, I actually see it coming, because Bluestreak/Silverstreak looks almost the same as Prowl and then Smokescreen, the only I would very surprised off if they really bring also MP Meister out one day or an other.
User avatar
Jazz813
Minibot
Posts: 148
News Credits: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:59 pm
Location: Luxembourg
Watch Jazz813 on YouTube
Buy from Jazz813 on eBay

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby gothsaurus » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm guessing they'd do another bot first before Jazz, since he's similar to Prowl... but he IS hugely popular. I'm sure he's on their radar. I could see them doing Mirage next, since it's a sexy car but very different looking in shape and color.

Remaining early G1 cars are below. I'd be really stoked with any of the first season, though the ones at the top of the list are definitely my preferred. (Since I have the 3rd Party Ironhide/Ratchet, those are lower priority.)

To wrap up season 1 would take 7 molds (each with its own retools ). Think we can keep them going long enough to round out the main characters? Crossing my fingers. There are actually a LOT of repaint potential characters, thinking about each mold... and how they've been treated in the past. I'd pay for a G1 Black Prowl as Barricade as well. Heh.

Jazz/Stepper/Ricochet/Kick-off/Dead End/Police version
Sunstreaker/Red or Police Diaclone
Mirage/Drag Strip/Red Diaclone/Crasher
Wheeljack/Marlboor/Slicer
Hound/Detritus/Swindle
Ironhide/Ratchet/Black Diaclone / eHobby Green
Trailbreaker/Hoist/Red or Blue Diaclone

Tracks/Road Rage/Black Diaclone
Skids/Crosscut
Grapple/Inferno/Artfire/Hotspot/Hauler

Kup
Blurr

(No interest in Kup or Blurr, really, and I can't see them doing a larger fire-engine when they've just made the Classics versions.)
User avatar
gothsaurus
Godmaster
Posts: 1634
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:30 am

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby Bowspearer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:24 pm

gothsaurus, you're thinking in terms of Hasbro, not Takara ;) . The Stunticons and Combaticons, when they hopefully happen, wont get rehashed moulds, but dedicated ones that do actually combine.

As for your point about Grapple and Inferno, they'd only made the Prowl and Sideswipe molds slightly earlier than them, so your point there is kinda moot.
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby gothsaurus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:27 am

Yeah, I wouldn't see them doing a Stunticon unless it had so much retooling that it "was" the other character. I could see that as being possible with Mirage, if they did it smart like the Classics Sideswipe/Sunstreaker mold.

I think my point with Grapple/Inferno - I'm displaying them with Red Alert and Sideswipe now, and I can't see them making another version just to eek another 3/4 of an inch height out of those two. They're already a good deal taller as is... almost in scale. Those two would have to be more Prime size to warrant redesigning. I just can't see it happening.

But well put, I see your point on all of it. I think Takara is much less inclined to put out bots with just a head swap... especially Masterpiece.
User avatar
gothsaurus
Godmaster
Posts: 1634
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:30 am

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby Bowspearer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:45 am

You're missing the point though - not just about the difference in companies, but the nature of the Masterpiece line (which let's face it, Hasbro has nothing whatsoever to do with in a significant manner).

The whole point of the Masterpiece line is that they're G1 accurate "ultimate versions" which we then pay at least double what we would for the CHUG version. These aren't reduxes, these are straight up, G1 re-engineerings - giving us the authentic look of G1 with a comparitively insane level of engineering and articulation. That is completely different to the CHUG line and it always has been.

The fact is that people will pay upwards of $200 for ultimate versions of their G1 favorites - in fact they are doing it and preorders are selling out shortly after they're announced on many Asian e-tailers.

If the line keeps going this well, then combiner teams are an eventuality.

Furthermore, considering the radically different look of the Classics versions, they simply don't properly fit into the Masterpiece line. Considering this and considering what a cash-cow the Masterpiece line has proven to be, there's no reason why Takara would avoid making a Masterpiece Grapple/Inferno/Artfire a reality and when it happens, I'll preorder all 3 and possibly even the eHobby MP Hauler.
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby gothsaurus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:04 am

gothsaurus wrote:I think Takara is much less inclined to put out bots with just a head swap... especially Masterpiece.


Yeah, I agreed with you in my last sentence above. (???)

I think my real point about Grapple/Inferno is that because it would be a much larger figure, that it's an unlikely choice at the beginning of the line. Less popular characters... and larger price point. I'm guessing they'll put that one off a while, if they do it.
User avatar
gothsaurus
Godmaster
Posts: 1634
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:30 am

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby Bowspearer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:09 pm

gothsaurus wrote:
gothsaurus wrote:I think Takara is much less inclined to put out bots with just a head swap... especially Masterpiece.


Yeah, I agreed with you in my last sentence above. (???)


Admittedly I should have said "with your previous post" but that's the ambiguity which comes from responding at 2am :P.

gothsaurus wrote:I think my real point about Grapple/Inferno is that because it would be a much larger figure, that it's an unlikely choice at the beginning of the line. Less popular characters... and larger price point. I'm guessing they'll put that one off a while, if they do it.


Except that Takara has proven otherwise not only with reissues, but with this current version of the Masterpiece line. With the "book-style" reissues, the third reissue was Skids. Then look at MP-14. The fact is that the initial reissue of Sideswipe and Red Alert in Japan saw a more limited distribution than Red Alert.

Then you have a prominent character like Trailbreaker which not only had a much later reissue release than Inferno, but has yet to even have a proper iteration in the CHUG line.

However talking about popularity here is really a case of splitting hairs. The fact is that we're currently discussing 84/85 Autobot Cars, not the likes of Crossblades or Stranglehold. Sure Inferno or Grapple might not have online shrines dedicated to them, but it's a pretty safe bet that people buying MP figures will buy an entire run of Autobot Cars if they get the chance to.

Ultimately this comes down to splitting hairs and in a way reminds me of the textbook reaction of someone who has been burned so many times that when something legitimate happens, they're still skeptical, even when it keeps consistently happening.

The only 2 variables here are how well eHobby does with Tigertrack (which will determine the viability of MP versions of eHobby exclusives and therefore the profitability of some molds) and licensing issues.

Other than that, this is a complete gravy train for Takara, a dream for fans which keeps unfolding, and a torture beyond imagination for our wallets ;) :P .
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby First-Aid » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Motto: "This won't hurt me a bit."
Weapon: Laser Scalpel
Bowspearer wrote:The fact is that people will pay upwards of $200 for ultimate versions of their G1 favorites - in fact they are doing it and preorders are selling out shortly after they're announced on many Asian e-tailers.

If the line keeps going this well, then combiner teams are an eventuality.


Combiner teams will not happen unless you lower the price. WOuld you pay A THOUSAND DOLLARS for a combiner set? With the economy the way it is worldwide, it won't happen. Honestly though, this is a niche market. Takara knows exactly how many to make. They won't have shelfwarmers. This is a collectors' targeted market. Essentially each figure is a limited edition. Besides, why make Masterpiece versions of figures that third party companies are making already, anyways? Just cuts into your profits. I'm calling it right now. Jazz will be the next figure, then Stepper. Because honestly, one can make a very respectable and accurate Jazz from the Prowl mold without doing much to it. Low cost to produce, high profit because collectors pay through the nose...as such it is zero risk for the company. However, once that safety net disappears as they run out of characters to repaint/retool with low cost, that's when the line will end. It's just business.
Scalpel...blood bucket...priest...next patient!

Would ye care fer a wee nip of scotch whiskey?

Yes I am a Cubs fan. You may pity me now.
First-Aid
City Commander
Posts: 3776
News Credits: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:54 am
Location: A lone Bears household in CHeeseheadland...
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Rank: 6
Courage: 10
Firepower: 2
Skill: 10+

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby Bowspearer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:28 am

First-Aid wrote:
Bowspearer wrote:The fact is that people will pay upwards of $200 for ultimate versions of their G1 favorites - in fact they are doing it and preorders are selling out shortly after they're announced on many Asian e-tailers.

If the line keeps going this well, then combiner teams are an eventuality.


Combiner teams will not happen unless you lower the price. WOuld you pay A THOUSAND DOLLARS for a combiner set?


Yes. For a MP combiner set- in a heartbeat.

First-Aid wrote:With the economy the way it is worldwide, it won't happen.


And yet this is the same argument which would say that in this market, people wont pay close to $100 for an Autobot Car when they can get the Henkei version for $30-40. The fact that MP figures are consistently selling out on preorder says otherwise.

First-Aid wrote:Honestly though, this is a niche market.


Not in Japan it isn't. In fact the majority of the Japanese market is more adult fans than kids and parents. In fact it's the reason why when you look at both markets they tend to take radically different approaches.

First-Aid wrote:Takara knows exactly how many to make.


As does any toy company when making a line. They base things on market research, sales figures and store orders, no matter the nature of the line.

First-Aid wrote:They won't have shelfwarmers.


And neither does Hasbro. Their warehouses clear out of stock and go to the retailers based on retail orders, right down to the retailers determining case assortments.

First-Aid wrote:This is a collectors' targeted market.


We're talking about the Japanese toy market here, so wrong - dead wrong.

First-Aid wrote:Essentially each figure is a limited edition.


On the contrary, there's nothing "limited edition" about the Masterpiece line. In fact with the exception of Lucky Draw figures, the last time Hasbro went down the "limitied edition" road was with the first round of reissues and it game back to bite them when they did the Encore line.

First-Aid wrote:Besides, why make Masterpiece versions of figures that third party companies are making already, anyways? Just cuts into your profits.


A) By that logic, Encore 20 should never have existed. Yet it did so well that we got a variant reissue of a reissue. B) The logic of that statement is absurd. It's like saying that if someone steals your ideas and passes them off as their own that you would have absolutely no interest in going toe to toe with them if you couldn't sue them (in fact the only thing saving many third party companies from litigation is the terrible IP property rights legal situation in China). After all, that's precisely what third party companies who produce bootlegs of G1 characters without paying for licensing are - thieves. Of course Takara is going to want its fair market share for its iconic designs.

First-Aid wrote:I'm calling it right now. Jazz will be the next figure, then Stepper.


Considering that the mold reuses of Jazz, there are a good 2 or 3 others that will hit first before it. It'll definitely hit, but either Ratchet/Ironhide or Grapple/Inferno/Artfire are far more likely to hit first, as well as possibly Skids (depends on how viable eHobby runs are compared to main line runs for Takara). The only wild card besides licensing now, is how well Tigertrack sells, which in turn will determine eHobby's stake in this and the comparitive viability of certain molds.

First-Aid wrote:Because honestly, one can make a very respectable and accurate Jazz from the Prowl mold without doing much to it.


Except completely re-engineering the mechanics of the chest, waist, feet, as well as the external looks of the character. That's essentially rebuilding it from the ground up. Honestly, I wonder when people make comments like this if they even own the G1 versions of the toys being discussed or actually get the point of the Masterpiece line.

First-Aid wrote:Low cost to produce, high profit because collectors pay through the nose...as such it is zero risk for the company.


And yet Takara learned what happened when they tried the "zero risk" approach before with the Masterpiece line. It prompted a mid-line reboot to what we have now. This sort of thinking is Hasbro thinking and it's the reason why Hasbro never produce original Masterpieces themselves

Heck if it came down to "risk" (adult collector's market) adverse thinking, we'd never have had Binartech, Alternity or the Masterpiece line period.

First-Aid wrote:However, once that safety net disappears as they run out of characters to repaint/retool with low cost, that's when the line will end.


Which is a baseless assertion. The fact is that once the line does well enough, then the line itself becomes its own safety net. Are you seriously suggesting that Takara wont make combiner sets for the Masterpiece line if the market is there for them?

First-Aid wrote:It's just business.


No it's "playing it safe". All groundbreaking successful business ventures have involved risk. Calculated risk, certainly, but risk nonetheless. Takara have proven that they understand this and that is precisely why they are currently reaping the benefits with the current Masterpiece line in spades.
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby Bowspearer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:31 am

One other thing if. If you consult the style guide on say, the Constructicons, they come in at about the height of Ratchet and Ironhide. As such, there's no way you'd pay remotely close to $1000+ for even Devastator, let alone the other combiner teams.
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby gothsaurus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:35 am

I don't think they're going to jump to break the new scale they've established. I think they'll stick with cars for a while. Any larger vehicle - including combat, construction, or rescue - would be either twice as large as these (and very expensive) or terribly out of scale with the cars.

If they're going to jump up in size class to something massive, you guys KNOW they'll opt to do a new leader instead. Shockwave, Megatron Redux, Galvatron.

And I'd also add, these are years in the works designing and testing these masterpiece figures... NOT just an arbitrary choice to reuse some old mold from the 1970s as a reissue when it comes up available at the warehouse. They put a lot of thought and money into these, and I think the order will reflect the characters popularity and other factors.

I don't think we'll be seeing any "surprise" guests. (Sorry Pipes, Bantor, Skybyte...)

I also don't think we'll be seeing any masterpiece combiners. Just my opinion and an educated guess. Not complaining though. I'd rather have a masterpiece of the first season characters I love - with all the care, detail, and accessories - and then leave it to the 3rd parties to do some passable combiners.
User avatar
gothsaurus
Godmaster
Posts: 1634
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:30 am

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby Bowspearer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:40 am

I actually completely disagree with what you've said re combiners, and I'd suggest that you and everyone else arguing that they couldn't happen in this scale, actually look at the G1 scale guide. The Constructicons actually come in at around the same height as the larger of the Autobot Cars (Ratchet, Ironhide, Grapple, Inferno, Hoist and Trailbreaker), making them no more non-viable than any of the 84/85 Autobot Cars.

What people seem to forget is that the combiners themselves were dramatically out of scale with their components. Now a combiner set where the combined form was in line with the scale guide is something which I agree would be financially ununfeasible. However a combiner team where it was the team members themselves in line with the scale guide would be a different story and would be likely what we wound up getting - which I would be completely ok with. In fact going by the going rate of $80 for the MP Autobot Cars, I'd wager that if the Constructicons did come out, they should each be around that same ball park ($480 for the set in other words) - and that's at import prices at places like BBTS, as opposed to Asian retailers where preorder prices were around the $57 mark.

However I think you're spot on about the fact that for at least the next couple of years it'll be the Autobot Cars getting the MP treatment.

The thing is that for the designers, there's a definite logic to the order of things. It's one thing to try and get a single use sculpt approved by the TakaraTomy bean counters. It's another thing entirely to start with the sculpt that has the most reuses, then slowly work your way down to single use molds.

The thing is that if the bean counters see that single use molds are viable for them and that people will constantly shell out the cash for the line, then combiners will get approved.

However, if I had to hazard a guess as to when we'd see the first Masterpiece combiners, I'd put it at a good 4-5 years from now.
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby gothsaurus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:48 am

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I'd jump at some show-accurate and to-scale combiners. I just see that as further down the road if it comes.

Besides the Constructicons, the sad fact is that they got very little character development outside of grunts or "retreat!" in the cartoons and comics. That may make it tough for the general fan base to bite, when compared with a Grimlock or Starscream. Maybe if they start working them in later in the line, people will already be addicted/completionists to the line.

But on the positive side, you do have some solid repaint potential for most all the combiners. G2 or SG anyone? :-D
User avatar
gothsaurus
Godmaster
Posts: 1634
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:30 am

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby Bowspearer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Oh they'll come. I'm open enough to admit my addiction to the Masterpiece line and if everyone else on this forum is honest with themselves, then I suspect that half the forum or more would have to admit they're hooked to the Ver2.0 MP line. Considering that, the design team are hardly going to pass up the chance to make them the moment the bean counters give the green light to them.

The one thing I think you're forgetting is that the same market that is being targeted by the Masterpiece line, is the same market that got a Bruticus reissue before it got a Devastator.

Clearly cartoon character development is hardly a dealbreaker ;).

That said, I'll be surprised if, besides the exceptions of Artfire and Stepper, the line goes beyond the 1986 toyline in terms of reducia. Still stranger things have happened I guess...
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby Son of Carl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:40 am

I personally can't see them doing combiner sets. I imagine that the figures would come out one at a time. A set would be too expensive for most people to invest in all at once, even if it sold for $480. Using the constructicons for reference, each figure has it's own mould so there would be a lot of tooling costs. I could see each constructicon going for $120 and up.
User avatar
Son of Carl
Micromaster
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:09 am
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 10
Rank: 4
Courage: 10
Firepower: 4
Skill: 5

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby Bowspearer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:49 am

Raccon wrote:I personally can't see them doing combiner sets. I imagine that the figures would come out one at a time. A set would be too expensive for most people to invest in all at once, even if it sold for $480. Using the constructicons for reference, each figure has it's own mould so there would be a lot of tooling costs. I could see each constructicon going for $120 and up.


First off, if people would pay for 6/6 of the Constructicons if they were released individually but not for them in one hit, then why on earth would Takara release them in one lot? That makes no sense. However the fact is that the adult collector's market is no stranger to high ticket items. Look at the Hot Toys 89 Batmobile coming out this year at around the $800 mark. The fact is that adult collectors will fork out for them- especially in Japan.

Actually there are multiple mould reuses for the Constructicons that I imagine would be exploited (G2 Yelow, G2 Orange, SG, Diaclone) which would give options. However even if there weren't that wouldn't affect cost. Look at Grimlock for example - which is as limited a mould use as the Constructicons. As for size, they actually come in between the size of Ironhide and Sideswipe. Once we get Ratchet and Ironhide, we should get a good idea of roughly what they'd cost. Furthermore it stands to reason that the costings on the new Masterpiece line have been worked out to allow for single use moulds like Wheeljack and Mirage, when they show up.
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby gothsaurus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:33 am

I think we're at a stalemate here. Some of us think they'll make combiners, some don't. Let's call that a draw and move on :-p We can watch to see what Takara actually does as this plays out.

Keeping things positive, I still think we could see multiple molds out of Wheeljack and Mirage - Slicer and Marlboor, plus red Diaclone or clear invisible Mirage. (and that's throwing out the chance of Crasher or Drag Strip as retools.) I think there are lots of repaint options for just about all the old G1 cars.
User avatar
gothsaurus
Godmaster
Posts: 1634
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:30 am

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby Son of Carl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:29 pm

Bowspearer wrote:
Raccon wrote:I personally can't see them doing combiner sets. I imagine that the figures would come out one at a time. A set would be too expensive for most people to invest in all at once, even if it sold for $480. Using the constructicons for reference, each figure has it's own mould so there would be a lot of tooling costs. I could see each constructicon going for $120 and up.


First off, if people would pay for 6/6 of the Constructicons if they were released individually but not for them in one hit, then why on earth would Takara release them in one lot? That makes no sense.


You're right, that doesn't make any sense. At all. That is why I said that it would make sense to release them individually. More people would be likely to buy them if they were released one at a time. All 6 Constructicons spread out over the period of a year or so.

Bowspearer wrote:However the fact is that the adult collector's market is no stranger to high ticket items. Look at the Hot Toys 89 Batmobile coming out this year at around the $800 mark. The fact is that adult collectors will fork out for them- especially in Japan.


But not all collectors will or can fork out that kind of money all at once. It all depends on an individual's disposable income, and how much they may have allotted for toy collecting per month. I believe more people would be inclined to buy a combiner team if it was spread out over a period of time. Some people people will be willing to pay all at once, but not all people can. Just like with Hot Toys, a lot of people buy Hot Toys figures, myself included. But I don't know anybody that buys the vehicles, granted, some people do, or they wouldn't continue making them, but more people buy only the figures.

Bowspearer wrote:Actually there are multiple mould reuses for the Constructicons that I imagine would be exploited (G2 Yelow, G2 Orange, SG, Diaclone) which would give options.


Normally I agree with you on repaints, but the Constructicon would be a harder sell. Regardless of whether they are sold as a set or individually, the Constructicons are a set. You wouldn't just be buying one figure, you would be committing to buying 6 figures in a different colour.

Bowspearer wrote:However even if there weren't that wouldn't affect cost. Look at Grimlock for example - which is as limited a mould use as the Constructicons.


And look at how expensive Grimlock was when he was first released. I remember paying something like $250 on BBTS when he first came out.

Bowspearer wrote:Furthermore it stands to reason that the costings on the new Masterpiece line have been worked out to allow for single use moulds like Wheeljack and Mirage, when they show up.


I believe this. And at the prices we are paying for these figures, I hope you're right. I'm happy to be paying high prices if it's contributing to the overall health of the line.
User avatar
Son of Carl
Micromaster
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:09 am
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 10
Rank: 4
Courage: 10
Firepower: 4
Skill: 5

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby Son of Carl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:49 pm

gothsaurus wrote:I think we're at a stalemate here. Some of us think they'll make combiners, some don't. Let's call that a draw and move on :-p We can watch to see what Takara actually does as this plays out.

Keeping things positive, I still think we could see multiple molds out of Wheeljack and Mirage - Slicer and Marlboor, plus red Diaclone or clear invisible Mirage. (and that's throwing out the chance of Crasher or Drag Strip as retools.) I think there are lots of repaint options for just about all the old G1 cars.


At this point everything is speculation. Nobody is right or wrong. But it is still fun to debate, as long as everybody is respectful of other peoples opinions. I personally like reading other peoples opinions, whether they agree with me or not.

As for your repaint ideas, I totally agree with you on a clear Mirage. That is a figure I would love to have.
User avatar
Son of Carl
Micromaster
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:09 am
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 10
Rank: 4
Courage: 10
Firepower: 4
Skill: 5

Re: MP-19 Masterpiece Bluestreak preorder listed on BBTS

Postby Bowspearer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Raccon wrote:
Bowspearer wrote:However the fact is that the adult collector's market is no stranger to high ticket items. Look at the Hot Toys 89 Batmobile coming out this year at around the $800 mark. The fact is that adult collectors will fork out for them- especially in Japan.


But not all collectors will or can fork out that kind of money all at once. It all depends on an individual's disposable income, and how much they may have allotted for toy collecting per month.


Yes but those people on the more extreme end of that are going to buy the Classics versions. The thing is though, look at what people are willing to shell out for what are essentially bootleg combiner limbs by 3rd party companies. Look at how well Masterpiece figures do. Look at the fact that Fort Max preorders have sold out. That's already in the same ballpark as what MP combiner limbs would be when they come out.

Raccon wrote:I believe more people would be inclined to buy a combiner team if it was spread out over a period of time. Some people people will be willing to pay all at once, but not all people can. Just like with Hot Toys, a lot of people buy Hot Toys figures, myself included. But I don't know anybody that buys the vehicles, granted, some people do, or they wouldn't continue making them, but more people buy only the figures.


Well now you do - I own the Tumbler and I have the 89 Batmobile on preorder :P

Raccon wrote:
Bowspearer wrote:Actually there are multiple mould reuses for the Constructicons that I imagine would be exploited (G2 Yelow, G2 Orange, SG, Diaclone) which would give options.


Normally I agree with you on repaints, but the Constructicon would be a harder sell. Regardless of whether they are sold as a set or individually, the Constructicons are a set. You wouldn't just be buying one figure, you would be committing to buying 6 figures in a different colour.


Encore Anime Devastator wants a word with you right now ;)

Raccon wrote:
Bowspearer wrote:However even if there weren't that wouldn't affect cost. Look at Grimlock for example - which is as limited a mould use as the Constructicons.


And look at how expensive Grimlock was when he was first released. I remember paying something like $250 on BBTS when he first came out.


I hate to say it, but that's your fault for paying import prices rather than importing yourself from an Asian online retailer. So far I paid $139 for MP Soundwave, $57 for both Sideswipe and Red Alert, I'm paying $39 for each of the tape sets, and last I checked, I'm paying $260 for Encore Fort Max when he comes out. Compare those prices for what you pay from importers such as BBTS, EVEN on preorders. Now admittedly they're all on preorder and taking advantage of preorder discounts, but it goes to show that shopping around really does save you money.


Raccon wrote:
Bowspearer wrote:Furthermore it stands to reason that the costings on the new Masterpiece line have been worked out to allow for single use moulds like Wheeljack and Mirage, when they show up.


I believe this. And at the prices we are paying for these figures, I hope you're right. I'm happy to be paying high prices if it's contributing to the overall health of the line.


Well we'll never hear them come out and say as much, but it stands to reason. Look at the way prices for the bookend style reissues were laid out - all the Autobot cars were pretty much uniform in price. You weren't paying more for say, inferno than you were for Skids. At this point, I'd be highly surprised if there wasn't a price scale in place for different sizes, going by the G1 scale guide. That's why I have no qualms in saying that the individual Constructicons will come in at the same price range as the Autobot Cars when they do eventually happen.
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #101 - Talkin' 'Bout My Generations
Twincast / Podcast #101:
"Talkin' 'Bout My Generations"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, September 21st, 2014