This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Michael Bay Reiterates That Transformers 4 is Not a Reboot

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Michael Bay Reiterates That Transformers 4 is Not a Reboot

Postby LOST Cybertronian » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:47 pm

Motto: "I've looked into the eye of this island and what I saw was...beautiful"
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
Forbes.com caught up with Michael Bay via phone to ask him a few questions about his career and Transformers 4. Despite what star Mark Wahlberg has said to the contrary, Bay reiterates that TF4 is not a reboot. You can read the entire interview here. A few excerpts have been pulled for your convenience below.

Forbes wrote:Will that change the way you do anything on Transformers 4?
We’re going to start off smaller. There’s a brand new cast. To freshen the franchise we’ve redesigned everything from top to bottom. The history of the first three movies is still there, we start four years later and there’s a reason why we’re meeting a new cast.

Mark is really excited about it and it’s a great redesign. I said that 3 [which grossed $1.1 billion] was going to be my last one. Paramount was letting me do Pain & Gain and the Transformers ride was opening at Universal and it was bittersweet to think of passing it off. I wanted to set it up on a really sure footing and to bring someone else in on that, it would have been overwhelming.

So is 4 a reboot?

No, that’s wrong. We keep the Transformers the way they were, it’s just four years later. There’s a reason the Transformers are redesigned. We’re trying to broaden the franchise and give it more places to go.

There is also a contest being run by Doritos where two commercials by amateur filmmakers previously chosen will run during the Super Bowl. The filmmaker with the highest ranking commercial according to the USA Today Ad Meter will get a job working with Bay on TF4.

Forbes wrote:Why did you agree to take part in the Doritos contest?
MICHAEL BAY: I got a call from my agent asking if I wanted to do this Doritos thing. It sounded like bullshit to me. I’d seen their commercials at the Super Bowl and I thought they were done by pros. When I found out they were amateurs, I thought it was a great way to help a young filmmaker break into the business.

What will the winner actually get to do on the Transformers 4 set?
Replace me as director. No, we’ll see who the person is and depending on what he is interested in being, a producer or a director, we’ll try to tailor the job. It’s all hard work when you’re working on a movie.
-Kanrabat- wrote:YEah, too many Transformers are in a serious need of a good rim job.

Blast Cannon wrote:This thread is brilliant. Duragrip you are a gloriously weird sexual deviant and I love it.
LOST Cybertronian
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1235
Buy from LOST Cybertronian on eBay

Re: Michael Bay Reiterates That Transformers 4 is Not a Reboot

Postby YRQRM0 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:25 pm

I would be surprised if there was actually a reason why the robots are different..
YRQRM0
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 1
Watch YRQRM0 on YouTube
Strength: 6
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10

Postby Ultra Markus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:44 pm

Motto: "“You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” - Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight"
Weapon: 16 Cannons
"to broaden the franchise and give it more places to go"
what does he mean by that and should we be worried?
Ultra Markus
Gestalt
Alt Mode: the biggest baddest thing ever
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:10 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Well, Hasbro needs new designs to sell toys, and even they know that giving Bee a new spoiler for his Camaro ain't gonna cut it any more.

I wonder if they're still keeping Bee as part of the cast.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Postby buddhaquest » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Motto: ""If you're not early, you're late.""
Weapon: Grenade Launcher
The Transformers in the film will be smaller and more expensive as per Hasbro's wishes.
These little words are having sex with your eyeballs
buddhaquest
Fuzor
Buy from buddhaquest on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Skill: 7

Postby Doubledealer93 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Motto: "A logical mind is a healthy mind."
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
i really hope they get rid of that wretched yellow hunk of scrap.

check out my collection thread, updated 2/25/13, and i kinda lost count, i have to count them again....
doubledealer93-s-collection-as-of-2-25-13-t84309.php
my tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/doubledealer93
My deviant art, loads more pics there--> http://doubledealer93.deviantart.com/
Doubledealer93
City Commander
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 4
Courage: 5
Firepower: 1
Skill: ???

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Motto: "Always Be’s-ing and do’s-ing, never cheesing or choosing!"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
buddhaquest wrote:The Transformers in the film will be smaller and more expensive as per Hasbro's wishes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It will not be rebooted, we're just redesigning everything from the ground up.

No one can get their facts straight. Watch as instead of complex living machines, the TFs are shapeshifting blobs. Oi.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the designs of the films. Just wish there wasn't so much secrecy surrounding these films. Sometimes, when I'm searching for news of the movie, I feel like I need to unplug my pc so my mom doesn't see what's on the screen.
Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

SW's SilverHammer wrote:Eat my ass funpub.

Burn wrote:And this is for taking Nemesis Maximo seriously.
*high fives Silly in the face*

carytheone wrote:I can't be assed to do any better right now.
Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt
Alt Mode: Lounge Lizard
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 10+

Postby Wh33l Jck » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:10 pm

I think they are going to go to cybertron or outer space, so it will give them leeway to do crazy stuff...and it will be an excuse for a new team of Autobots

I just wish it was less about the humans and more about the Autobots and Decpeticons. The robots as characters have no personal back story to really care about, and no meaningful dialogue.

Recently I got rid of my movie toys, not because I don't like the toys themselves, I think they rivial some classics stuff, but because I have no attachment to the bland characters from the movie...
Wh33l Jck
Targetmaster

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Motto: "Always Be’s-ing and do’s-ing, never cheesing or choosing!"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
warzon3 wrote:I think they are going to go to cybertron or outer space, so it will give them leeway to do crazy stuff...and it will be an excuse for a new team of Autobots

I just wish it was less about the humans and more about the Autobots and Decpeticons. The robots as characters have no personal back story to really care about, and no meaningful dialogue.

Recently I got rid of my movie toys, not because I don't like the toys themselves, I think they rivial some classics stuff, but because I have no attachment to the bland characters from the movie...

I feel the autobots had enough "personality" to go around. I wish the decepticons had more badassery to their names, rather than just being scary.

Now going just by the first one, even with the humans, I'd say all the robots had plenty of personality, especially given that each 'con had his "big moment" in the film. The problem with the subsequent films is that, imo, they are the adventures of Bumblebee and Optimus, featuring Sam, with special guest appearances by Megs and Screamer. All the other 'cons were cannon fodder, for 'Bee and co.
Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

SW's SilverHammer wrote:Eat my ass funpub.

Burn wrote:And this is for taking Nemesis Maximo seriously.
*high fives Silly in the face*

carytheone wrote:I can't be assed to do any better right now.
Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt
Alt Mode: Lounge Lizard
Strength: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6

Postby Ultra Markus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:42 pm

Motto: "“You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” - Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight"
Weapon: 16 Cannons
Nemesis Maximo wrote:
warzon3 wrote:I think they are going to go to cybertron or outer space, so it will give them leeway to do crazy stuff...and it will be an excuse for a new team of Autobots

I feel the autobots had enough "personality" to go around. I wish the decepticons had more badassery to their names, rather than just being scary.

Now going just by the first one, even with the humans, I'd say all the robots had plenty of personality, especially given that each 'con had his "big moment" in the film. The problem with the subsequent films is that, imo, they are the adventures of Bumblebee and Optimus, featuring Sam, with special guest appearances by Megs and Screamer. All the other 'cons were cannon fodder, for 'Bee and co.

i agree they should have made megatron the murderous tyrant that he was supposed to be and screamer the opportunistic back stabber instead they were not any were close
Ultra Markus
Gestalt
Alt Mode: the biggest baddest thing ever
Strength: 10

Postby BeastProwl » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:43 am

Motto: "Gravity Hurts"
Weapon: Razor Tipped Wing Swords
Oh, because there are bad guys just lining up around the block after DOTM. And let's not forget all the unfixed inconsistencies. I doubt they will be addressed.

I liked the movies for what they were, and DOTM was the end. Seriously. The final chapter, you know? What now? Optimus sees his life flash before his eyes and we watch the last three films but with better editing and no mistakes /Wishful Thinking

And all that time Sam was working with the autobots, suddenly he gets a growth spurt after just 4 more years and becomes another actor? Or are they just going to dump you like the last girl?

I cant think to positively here. Unless Decepticon bodies-> Launched towards the sun -> Unicron Magic->Galvatron->Possible new baddies for part 5?

And what about the aligned continuity? The movies get a pass? I mean, I can see why they cant, but I thought everything from here on out was "aligned"

I dont get why they couldn't reboot it. Optimus is Optimus, and Bee is Bee. Like the kids would mind?

Check out my Art Thread! It actually gets updated from time to time!
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/beastprowl-s-art-thread-t102641s50.php

Also taking commissions! Inquire via PM if interested :D
BeastProwl
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 6
Strength: 10+
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Courage: Infinity
Skill: 9

Postby Sodan-1 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:18 am

Motto: "Motive is a universal weakness."
warzon3 wrote:I just wish it was less about the humans and more about the Autobots and Decpeticons. The robots as characters have no personal back story to really care about, and no meaningful dialogue.

Amen to that! But with three new main actors, I'm thinking that's unlikely to happen.

As for the reason why the Cybertronians have new designs (if there is indeed going to be one that ties in to the plot) I'm going with the governments of Earth wanted their precious lubricants after the events of DoTM, and so they were forced to take new forms in order to stay hidden. (Cue a Transformers/G.I. Joe crossover.)

And they do such a good job of staying hidden that we never actually know they're there, staying in alt-mode all the way through to the point where it's just another Michael Bay movie starring Mark Wahlberg and a couple of kids.

I still watch the first three movies, trying to find a reason to like them, but it's just not happening. :-(
Sodan-1
Gestalt

Postby Capt.Failure » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 am

Sodan-1 wrote:
warzon3 wrote:I just wish it was less about the humans and more about the Autobots and Decpeticons. The robots as characters have no personal back story to really care about, and no meaningful dialogue.

Amen to that! But with three new main actors, I'm thinking that's unlikely to happen.

From a standpoint of practicality and pragmatism, no it's not. Until we can find actual Transformers to hire on as actors the cost of visual effects will keep humans in the forefront. Of course it's easier to just say "BAY HATES TRANSFORMERS!!!" than realize it's a sound directorial decision. To be completely honest I kind of prefer there being human characters who aren't useless tag-along kids.
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior

Postby Wh33l Jck » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:31 am

Yes, they need humans to sell the movie to a wider audience, but I think they can make it a little more even. They have the production system in place after 3 movies. The efficency of the special effects could allow for more robot time.

Bay's movies feel like its more a movie about a Boy primarily. Rather than as Transformers movie.

Just look at Transformers Prime and the Character development. They had meaningful back stories or motivations. I know it is just a 2 hour movie, but I wish Bay kind of took a page from them...
Wh33l Jck
Targetmaster

Postby Megatron Wolf » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:53 am

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
why 4 years shouldnt it be more than that? Sure alot can happen in 4 years but would make more sense to have the time be 10 years or more. With a longer time period you can totally redesign the bots add a bunch of new characters & restaff without little explanation. But thus us bay & hasvbro we're talking about and theres not one intelligent bone between them. But i do like that this movies off to such a great start, think there are more inconsistencies in this one so far than there were in the last 3 combined. But as long as bay is in control i have no hope for the movies, and as long has hasbro keeps doing what their doing i have no hope for the franchise.
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Speed: 8
Firepower: 7

Postby Rated X » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
This whole reboot/not a reboot saga is getting really stupid. Lets just waterboard Michael Bay till he tells us the plot. :HEADHURTS:
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Speed: 2
Courage: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Capt.Failure » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Rated X wrote:This whole reboot/not a reboot saga is getting really stupid. Lets just waterboard Michael Bay till he tells us the plot. :HEADHURTS:

Bay has stated time and again it's not a reboot. Not sure were the confusion is coming from. :-?
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior

Postby Rated X » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Capt.Failure wrote:
Rated X wrote:This whole reboot/not a reboot saga is getting really stupid. Lets just waterboard Michael Bay till he tells us the plot. :HEADHURTS:

Bay has stated time and again it's not a reboot. Not sure were the confusion is coming from. :-?

The confusion comes from actors on Micheal Bay's payroll that are calling it a reboot. In particular, Marky Mark.
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Speed: 2
Courage: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Spleenzorio » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:23 pm

Motto: "I must be a doctor because I'm surrounded by scrubs"
Starscream better return, but I'm gunna be surprised if they do something with his indestructible spark
Spleenzorio
Fuzor
Watch Spleenzorio on YouTube
Buy from Spleenzorio on eBay
Intelligence: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Postby Capt.Failure » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:13 pm

Rated X wrote:
Capt.Failure wrote:

The confusion comes from actors on Micheal Bay's payroll that are calling it a reboot. In particular, Marky Mark.

And somehow the word of an actor who just joined the cast is greater than the frakin' director? :roll:
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:18 pm

warzon3 wrote:Yes, they need humans to sell the movie to a wider audience, but I think they can make it a little more even. They have the production system in place after 3 movies. The efficency of the special effects could allow for more robot time.

Bay's movies feel like its more a movie about a Boy primarily. Rather than as Transformers movie.

Just look at Transformers Prime and the Character development. They had meaningful back stories or motivations. I know it is just a 2 hour movie, but I wish Bay kind of took a page from them...

Agreed on all points, although I will say this much; IMO, DOTM was a small step in the right direction.

The plot at least gave the Transformers more dpth this time around, featuring Sentinel as a turncoat, and Ironhide's death is done far more meaningfully than, say, the Arcees and Jetfire. While Jetfire's death is technically poignant, I personally felt nothing for his sacrifice. Maybe it's just that I don't like his "old man with Alzheimer's" characterization.

I could well be alone in this, but DOTM seems to feature far more characterization of the bots than the other two movies put together.

Sam's role in this was simply that he wanted to feel important again, while the plot (flawed as it is) developed independently. He makes his own contributions in unraveling the Decepticons' plans, but at least it never focused solely on him. Optimus has his own demons to fight after discovering his mentor's true motives, and even Megatron is trying to come to grips with his failing authority--though sadly these elements weren't very effectively shown on screen (hence, a small step in the right direction).
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Skill: 10+

Postby Capt.Failure » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:40 pm

warzon3 wrote:Yes, they need humans to sell the movie to a wider audience, but I think they can make it a little more even. They have the production system in place after 3 movies. The efficency of the special effects could allow for more robot time.

Two problems here:

1. Just because it has more screen time for human characters doesn't mean it isn't a Transformers movie.

2. Bay isn't in charge of characterization. Blame the writers for that.
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior

Postby AutoBorst » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:52 am

Ultra Markus wrote:"to broaden the franchise and give it more places to go"
what does he mean by that and should we be worried?
All it means is giving Hasbro more toys and repaints to flood stores with.

I'll be avoiding this new movie like I did the last two. These films are complete trash.
AutoBorst
Minibot

Postby noctorro » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:10 am

Very excited about part 4.

I think the designs will go in the direction of Gundam. So less milions of tiny parts but more big plates. Like Fall Of Cybertron.

But we do have to remember, Transformers aren't combat suits for humans. Their technology is far superior and all parts have to work kind of organic. Not simple cogs and a few wires.

I agree, you can't put the bots in front, rendering these guys costs way more then an actor.

I have high hopes for the next, DOTM was great imho, (I do focus on the good parts and try to mentally avoid the bad parts). And I gotta say, that was pretty hard in ROTF.
Just let the stupid silly bots be handbag sized so they can't do anything relevant in battle.
Then again, Brains and Wheely were pretty funny :D

Hopefully Hasbro will complete the main cast in figures and in good scale, still waiting for DOTM Leader Megatron/Shockwave.
http://www.plasticpolygon.com
I 3d design and print! Check out my instagram http://www.instagram.com/plasticpolygon3d for some Transformers weapons if you're interested. The War for Cybertron standard machine gun is ready as well as the Armada Optimus gun (smaller) and a Robotech Gunpod.
noctorro
Gestalt Team Leader

Postby syphonn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:57 am

Weapon: Gattling Gun
So they'll kill Megatron for the fourth time.
District 9, what Transformers could have been ...
syphonn
Vehicon
Strength: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Skill: 9

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DEMOLISHOR Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Fast Food 2002 230719A"
NEW!
DEMOLISHOR Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SNOW CAT Transformers Energon Combat Class complete + instructions 2004 230427A"
SNOW CAT Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKYBLAST JET MODE Transformers Attacktix Energon complete Hasbro 2006 190411"
SKYBLAST JET MODE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LEOBREAKER Transformers Cybertron Voyager complete Cyber Key vg08 2005 231101A"
NEW!
LEOBREAKER Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Keychain Flashlight Transformers Armada Hasbro 2004 230719A"
NEW!
OPTIMUS PRIME Keyc ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LONGRACK Transformers Cybertron deluxe complete + key Hasbro 2005 231101A"
NEW!
LONGRACK Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNICRON Transformers Cybertron deluxe complete + dgt3 key Hasbro 2006 231101A"
NEW!
UNICRON Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NIGHT ATTACK MINI-CON TEAM Transformers Armada complete Hasbro 2003 231209A"
NEW!
NIGHT ATTACK MINI- ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LAND MILITARY MINI-CON TEAM Transformers Armada complete Hasbro 2002 231209A"
NEW!
LAND MILITARY MINI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CAPTAIN CARTRIDGE Transformers BotBots Con Crew Line League handheld game 2019"
CAPTAIN CARTRIDGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ENERGON #20 Dreamwave Comics DW 2004 (W) Furman (A/CA) Guidi"
Transformers ENERG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DREADWIND + SMOKEJUMPER Transformers RID Robots In Disguise Ultra 2004 240109A"
NEW!
DREADWIND + SMOKEJ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE (VW) Transformers Movie Energon Igniters Power Plus Series 2018 NEW"
BUMBLEBEE (VW) Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCRACKER Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete 2006 230719A"
NEW!
THUNDERCRACKER Tra ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #345 - The Roast
Twincast / Podcast #345:
"The Roast"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 9th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Quake and Chasm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Roadburn" on AMAZON