Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Peter Cullen Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Interview

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Peter Cullen Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Interview

Postby El Duque » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:13 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
MTV Geek has posted an interview with the legendary voice of Optimus Prime Peter Cullen. Cullen discusses voicing the iconic character over the years and the current season of Transformers Prime Beast Hunters. We've mirrored a few excerpts below, the full interview can be found by clicking here.

Geek: If this is the third and final season of “Transformers: Prime," does this then mean that we’re going to see future seasons of “Transformers: Beast Hunters”? Is this going to be a reboot that will continue into a new series?

Cullen: I just say “Transformers: Prime” is a title, and it could be the title of one episode, or it could be the title of 65. But Transformers, I’m sure, is gonna continue, and Beast Hunters, I would just look at it as another chapter … every show is a spin-off from the last one. We’re always looking forward to doing more. It doesn’t seem to be a finality from anything that I’ve seen.


Geek: Since you’ve worked with so many, what differentiates this voice cast from others?

Cullen: This is probably one of the great casts that I’ve ever worked with, and one of the most fun times of any show I’ve ever done … I think it’s just an excellent selection of talent. There’s just, from the creative team, to the cast itself, it’s just people that really care for each other and really get along well. And the talent in the room at any given time: I’m used to working with Frank Welker and Steve Blum and people like that. But the introduction of so many other people into this new season … The guest stars, for example, have always been fantastic, and it’s such a great respect that everybody has for each other and that doesn’t interfere with the fun.


Geek: Is there any direction you’d like to take Prime that we haven’t seen before?

Cullen: Nothing that would contradict his character: the way it’s been received, respected, and the loyalty that has been shown. I don’t think you should mess with anything that works with so many generations. I mean, the new kids coming up today feel the same way that the kids did back in the early ’80s, so if something’s working right, I think that’s a phenomenon and it should be respected and continued. I’m just so grateful to be at the helm of it right now, and I wouldn’t want to do anything to change it or disappoint anybody.
User avatar
El Duque
News Admin
Posts: 9885
News Credits: 88
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:57 pm
Location: tornado alley

Re: Peter Cullen Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Interview

Postby Rated X » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
So whats next ?

With TF Prime finally out the picture after season 3, I wonder what they will do a new series ? I would like to see a new G1 using all the "classics" molds as cartoon characters. I mean, why not ? Enough with the Bayformers spin-offs.
Image

Check out my Customs:

Classics Pounce and Wingspan
classics-pounce-and-wingspan-t95811.php

Generations Twincast
generations-twincast-t94088.php

Collection photos will be updated soon at this link :
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/rated-x-s-collection-t55699.php
User avatar
Rated X
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5630
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Re: Peter Cullen Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Interview

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:38 pm

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
Rated X wrote:So whats next ?

With TF Prime finally out the picture after season 3, I wonder what they will do a new series ? I would like to see a new G1 using all the "classics" molds as cartoon characters. I mean, why not ? Enough with the Bayformers spin-offs.
It'll most likely be another series set in the Aligned continuity, but where, when, and involving who is anyone's guess. Could be a direct sequel, could be a prequel, could be set years before Prime, could be set years after Prime, could be set eons before Prime, could still focus on a group led by Optimus Prime, could focus on some other group of Autobots, could focus on Optimus leading a different team of Autobots, who knows. ;)

As for why no new G1 series, Hasbro has actually been asked that quite often by fans, and each time they've kindly said no. The reason being that they don't want to go backwards with the brand, but forwards.
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 16318
News Credits: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Peter Cullen Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Interview

Postby Rated X » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:43 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Sabrblade wrote:
Rated X wrote:So whats next ?

With TF Prime finally out the picture after season 3, I wonder what they will do a new series ? I would like to see a new G1 using all the "classics" molds as cartoon characters. I mean, why not ? Enough with the Bayformers spin-offs.
It'll most likely be another series set in the Aligned continuity, but where, when, and involving who is anyone's guess. Could be a direct sequel, could be a prequel, could be set years before Prime, could be set years after Prime, could be set eons before Prime, could still focus on a group led by Optimus Prime, could focus on some other group of Autobots, could focus on Optimus leading a different team of Autobots, who knows. ;)

As for why no new G1 series, Hasbro has actually been asked that quite often by fans, and each time they've kindly said no. The reason being that they don't want to go backwards with the brand, but forwards.


So homaging a character is going fowards, but homaging a certain group of characters is going backwards ? Im not sure I understand Hasbro's logic. If they want to move foward, then they should stop using Optimus, Bumblebee, Starscream, Megatron, etc, and create a totally new cast with no homages. And the monster Hasbro created known as the "alligned continuity" needs to be slayed.
Image

Check out my Customs:

Classics Pounce and Wingspan
classics-pounce-and-wingspan-t95811.php

Generations Twincast
generations-twincast-t94088.php

Collection photos will be updated soon at this link :
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/rated-x-s-collection-t55699.php
User avatar
Rated X
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5630
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:25 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Rank: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Re: Peter Cullen Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Interview

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:04 pm

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
Rated X wrote:So homaging a character is going fowards, but homaging a certain group of characters is going backwards ? Im not sure I understand Hasbro's logic. If they want to move foward, then they should stop using Optimus, Bumblebee, Starscream, Megatron, etc, and create a totally new cast with no homages. And the monster Hasbro created known as the "alligned continuity" needs to be slayed.
There is a difference between "making a new version of old characters" and "making new characters based on old characters". The Classics toys are the former, while what Hasbro wants to do is the latter.

They keep making new Optimus Primes, Megatrons, etc. so that they can continue to own those names/characters.

Maybe I could explain this easier via help from TFWiki. from what I understand, your idea of doing a new G1-based show would be set in the Generation 1 Continuity Family, which Hasbro doesn't want to go back to in TV show form since it's so old and not up to form for today's audiences.

They instead want to expand the current continuity of today: The Aligned continuity. They've already set up so much backstory, history, and lore for this continuity to explore thanks to the novels and video games, and they have only just barely scratched the surface of it. TF: Prime is set in the present, but there's thousands of years of the past and plenty of future territory to cover, leaving it all open for a new cartoon to look into.

Hasbro's basically done with G1 from a TV storytelling view, and want to move on with the brand rather than continue living in the past.
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 16318
News Credits: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Peter Cullen Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Interview

Postby msg4gsm » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Wait.. I've got it..... Make a new series with all the exact same G1 characters but this time have them wreck their spaceship on Earth and then have both Autobots and Decepticons be injured into a form of stasis for 4 million years until the ship starts to automatically repair them and then make sure the animation is like straight out of 1984 where all the characters have the same block head and basic design and then have the good guys (let's say the Autobots for the hell of it) befriend the native humans and.... OH NO.......... WAIT....!! That isn't a new idea at all!! That is just me writing the story of the beginning of G1 in 1984... Jeez...... I know what to do....... Why didn't I think of this till now? This is genius! If I want a new series to be just like G1 to soothe my inner 11 year old.. I will just watch G1 again.!! Huh.. What a great idea!!
msg4gsm
Mini-Con
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:35 pm


Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #96 - Age of Extinction
Twincast / Podcast #96:
"Age of Extinction"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, July 7th, 2014