This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Revealed: Sunstorm, Bitstream and Hotlink

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Revealed: Sunstorm, Bitstream and Hotlink

Postby ArmadaPrime » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Weapon: Requiem Blaster
You know, hasbro might aswell make a line that's just repaints of the classics seeker mold. They'll still go like hotcakes.
Certified Expert™ in reading wikis to pretend I know more about things than I actually do
ArmadaPrime
Brainmaster
News Credits: 3

Postby mooncake623 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:51 pm

Weapon: Concussion Rifle
dedcat wrote:Give it a year and this set will be going for $60 to $80 on ebay.

What make you say that?
Looking for:
Botcon Redux Spark (Pyro)
"Comfort is the death of creativity "
"My country is the world... and my religion is to do good"
mooncake623
City Commander
News Credits: 461
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 8
Endurance: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Postby SW's SilverHammer » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Motto: "The  days  grow  shorter,  and  yet  the  sun  still  shines"
Weapon: Electron Scimitar Sword

I agree, they're the same, the only difference is the plastic color they're cast in. They practically look like knock-offs; they're so poorly detailed and bland. #-o
Alpha Bravo-Shock:-1-

Consumerism Beauty

SW's SilverHammer
City Commander
News Credits: 25
Watch SW's SilverHammer on YouTube
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Courage: 3

Postby Flashwave » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:03 pm

Motto: "Our society's downfall will not be this war. The war IS our society. That which will get us will be the little things. Some humanoid race, some tossed cannon, the little things that no one looks out for. THAT is for what we must be vigilant."
Weapon: Twin Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launchers
You know, I think FunPub coulda done a full size mainline run of these things and be sold out, I'd almost guarentee that if they had ANYTHING left over they could burn through it online in a week...
Flashwave
City Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Speed: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Noideaforaname » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:06 pm

It's funny how nobody ever seems to want repaints, unless it's the Seekers, in which case they want infinity of them.
"He may end up destroying a nearby planet or two, but such is life."
My Art Website -- Redbubble Shop
Noideaforaname
City Commander
News Credits: 7

Postby Bumblevivisector » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:08 pm

SW's SilverHammer wrote:

I agree, they're the same, the only difference is the plastic color they're cast in. They practically look like knock-offs; they're so poorly detailed and bland. #-o

I think the main reason they look like KOs is that we've gotten used to the fact that CHMS beat HasTak to the punch on this years ago. If bland and undetailed makes them more show-accurate, then that's the right way to go.
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Postby Mindmaster » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Motto: "For I have dipped my hands in muddied waters, and, withdrawing them, find 'tis better to be a commander than a common man!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Noideaforaname wrote:It's funny how nobody ever seems to want repaints, unless it's the Seekers, in which case they want infinity of them.

Traditionally, the Seekers were the Vehicons of Generation One. So in a way, it's alright that Starscream be repainted over and over, because that's one of the norms of Transformers: there's always lookalikes of Starscream. Plus, despite the wings getting in the way of the null-rays, the Classics Seeker mold is pretty cool. 8)
They call me “Tanker Chungus”!

Va'al wrote:I keep track of everyone. Backwards.
There are atandarfs to maintain.

LOST Cybertronian wrote:Hey, If Mindmaster survived then you should do just fine.
Mindmaster
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 251
Watch Mindmaster on YouTube
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Jet
Intelligence: Infinity
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Postby Wolfman Jake » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:10 pm

Motto: ""A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."
-Edward Hoagland"
Weapon: Retractable Mecha-Fangs
I just shelled out $175 + $10 shipping for the set on eBay. If you really want these, now is the time to strike, not later.
Wolfman Jake - Spendin' the day howlin' away.
Wolfman Jake
Faction Commander
News Credits: 65
Alt Mode: Wolf
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 2
Skill: 8

Postby SW's SilverHammer » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:56 pm

Motto: "The  days  grow  shorter,  and  yet  the  sun  still  shines"
Weapon: Electron Scimitar Sword
Bumblevivisector wrote:
SW's SilverHammer wrote:

I think the main reason they look like KOs is that we've gotten used to the fact that CHMS beat HasTak to the punch on this years ago. If bland and undetailed makes them more show-accurate, then that's the right way to go.

Then can the club give us these Image
Alpha Bravo-Shock:-1-

Consumerism Beauty

SW's SilverHammer
City Commander
News Credits: 25
Watch SW's SilverHammer on YouTube
Strength: 4
Speed: 5
Courage: 3

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:05 pm

I preordered from BBTS. I guess there's a chance these will turn out to be worthless later on, but isn't that the story with any TF? I think these have a better chance of staying relevant than the original characters FP puts out at times and they're unlikely to be released by Hasbro or Takara at any point. I think Sunstorm will probably retain some value over time, at least.

I have the CHMS KOs already, but like jello, there's always room for more! Seekers are really fun army builders because each deco can be it's own legitimate character, unlike Sweeps who are all the same. But, unlike the KOs, these will probably be just as fun to transform as the other official Seekers. Getting the hand out of the arm is a problem with every single KO Seeker I own except the Rainmakers ... whose plastic feels light and cheap. Hm.

I have a ton of Seekers and would actually love to see Actionmaster / Pretender Starscream done one day. The toy deco just morphed into a unique colour scheme I'd love to see replicated. Out of the above shots the monochrome Seeker Is really appealing.

Edit: I'll concede that these guy are pretty bland, though. If they were going for 100% toon accuracy, they should have made them 100% toon accurate. Although I think the idea was to make these guys look more like a unit (where does that black arm colour come from, then?). Barring that, shades of colour would have done well.

Still, even while bland, it's nice to see my Seeker army grow.
Last edited by Gauntlet101010 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gauntlet101010
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby dedcat » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:35 pm

Motto: "It's dedcat, son."
mooncake623 wrote:

What make you say that?

Put simply, market saturation. They made a lot of these sets and most of the folks who want em already got em. Once that flavor of the week luster wears off, its just 3 more versions of a toy most of us already have at least 6 versions of.

They will never be cheap, but there's no way they'll stay at the $190+ mark.
dedcat
Fuzor
News Credits: 5

Postby Metrosuplex » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:04 pm

Motto: ""Nothing so liberates the heart as when a fool awakens from his folly.""
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
If Hasbro is hurting for money, why not print more of these for regular retail? From what I understand, the mold has already been engineered, so the only costs are manufacturing, packaging, and shipping.

Help me out here, guys: Is it better to release a set like this in LIMITED quantities at a con? Or to mass-produce them and sell as many as you can (before interest dies off)?

Maybe Hasbro is keeping this mold as a "Get-out-of-Bankruptcy-Free" card? :roll: Meaning, I can stand to skip on this over-priced trio: more are surely on the way. :MR-T:
Words from the wise:
GuyIncognito - "MetroSUplex, do you understand inflation? I'm guessing not."
Metrosuplex
Combiner
Firepower: 8

Postby mooncake623 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:38 pm

Weapon: Concussion Rifle
I think thhese will look great holding a Nullray. they shoudl of included extras with a hose maybe?
Looking for:
Botcon Redux Spark (Pyro)
"Comfort is the death of creativity "
"My country is the world... and my religion is to do good"
mooncake623
City Commander
News Credits: 461

Postby Bumblevivisector » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:16 pm

mooncake623 wrote:I think thhese will look great holding a Nullray. they shoudl of included extras with a hose maybe?
Yeah, they make a point of including the guy firing the flamethrower, but don't make his iconic weapon...could Hasbro have ordered FunPub to lay out some sort of cunning legal trap for any 3rd party company who dares make it before they release the official version next year?!?

Or are they just content to keep milking the mold and only splurge on repairing it when necessary, rather than new accessories? Really hoping it's the latter, since they'll never run out of seeker color schemes. Maybe next year it'll be the three guarding Shockwave's lab in The Ultimate Doom; that would mean a lovely pine-green-hued guy who's also not Acid Storm. My supply of cheap KOs of this mold to repaint into new guys seems to have dried up, so just let this mold remain the Botcon troop-builder from now on! Market saturation fires imagination!
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Apparently making new moulds is the most expensive part of the whole exclusive toy enterprise and, seeing as how expensive these are already, I'd rather just leave that to whoever in the 3rd party scene picks up the ball for that.

We'll see if people get sick of the Seeker mould by next year. Between official stuff and KOs (and two of these guys are already available via KOs) a lot of people have a large Seeker army already ... and these sold out even so. So the game's on! The seekers are plenty popular, so I kinda think these will hold water for a while longer, but we'll see, I suppose.
Gauntlet101010
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby YoungPrime » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:58 pm

Yeah, middle finger to Hasbro for not thinking that these would do well at retail....

Ya screwed us again...
YoungPrime
Headmaster Jr

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:16 pm

Well... They'd need to jazz up the colour scheme a lot for me to believe this would do well at retail. Especially since Acid Storm was a real pegwarmer.

Anyway, FunPub is FunPub and Hasbro is Hasbro. I don't think Hasbro feels like their thunder is stolen by FunPub. Ever. Remember the Games of Deception Seekers?
Gauntlet101010
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby RhA » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:37 am

Motto: "BRING ME DANGER!"
This set seems to be designed specifically to piss me off.
Love thy pretenders.
RhA
Faction Commander

Postby Henry921 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:35 am

Motto: "All I have to be is exceptional."
Weapon: Battle Blades
I got mine off the second run at TFsource for $139.95. They sold out less than an hour after I placed my order. FunPub made 2500 of these, 500 more than any other set at the convention. Clearly, people want these.

Anyone who attended BotCon able to tell us what rate FunPub sold them at?
Henry921
Brainmaster
Speed: 4
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 3

Postby Galactic Prime » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:22 am

They sold for $99 dollars at Botcon.

I find it amazing they seem surprised that they sold out so fast. Given the incredibly crappy set they saddled on people this year and the fans who've been clamoring for these for years it should come as a surprise to no one they sold out and have done better than any other set to date.
Galactic Prime
Fuzor

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:02 am

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Metrosuplex wrote:Help me out here, guys: Is it better to release a set like this in LIMITED quantities at a con? Or to mass-produce them and sell as many as you can (before interest dies off)?

1) That would ruin the exclusivity of the set. I don't know how the Generations Seekers were received compared to the BotCon 2007 ones, but it wasn't pretty, that I'm sure of.

2) We fans know who they're supposed to represent. Parents and the newer generation of kids, not so much: to them it's just "the same toy only in different colors". I keep telling people, would parents keep paying for essentially the same toy, only in different colors? No.
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Strength: 5
Skill: 5

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:14 am

They probably thought people were sick of Seekers. I mean we have had a ton of KOs, even KOs representing Sunstorm and Hotlink. Just off the cuff, would you think pricy official version would sell when people have had a fancier deco already for much, MUCH cheaper?
Gauntlet101010
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby MyBumbee » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:01 am

Galactic Prime wrote:They sold for $99 dollars at Botcon.

I find it amazing they seem surprised that they sold out so fast. Given the incredibly crappy set they saddled on people this year and the fans who've been clamoring for these for years it should come as a surprise to no one they sold out and have done better than any other set to date.

Well, the biggest reason they sold out so fast was because one dealer - yes, DEALER - kept getting in line and buying the max he could per trip on the line ride! There were plenty of fans actually in attendance that couldn't get them and were upset about it due to this one person's tactics. If that weren't insult enough this same jerk tossed them on ebay and bid against himself (using multiple dummy id's) to jack his profit up to over 100%!! At last count he'd sold over 60 sets, but the number could be much higher than that since he was fudging ebay's rules completely by re listing the sets several times after he'd sold the original sets.
MyBumbee
Mini-Con

Postby Wolfman Jake » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:47 pm

Motto: ""A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."
-Edward Hoagland"
Weapon: Retractable Mecha-Fangs
Well, I have my set in hand now, bought from eBay once it was announced the set sold out at the show. I hope I didn't buy from that scalper who bought up all the product. Anyway, I'm impressed. The joints on my figures are VERY tight. A little too tight in some cases, but it's better than the floppy limbs some production runs have seen of this mold in the past 7 years.
Wolfman Jake - Spendin' the day howlin' away.
Wolfman Jake
Faction Commander
News Credits: 65
Alt Mode: Wolf
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 2

Postby Banjo-Tron » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:48 pm

Motto: "My banjo is everything; defeat is ukelele"
Wolfman Jake wrote:Well, I have my set in hand now, bought from eBay once it was announced the set sold out at the show. I hope I didn't buy from that scalper who bought up all the product. Anyway, I'm impressed. The joints on my figures are VERY tight. A little too tight in some cases, but it's better than the floppy limbs some production runs have seen of this mold in the past 7 years.

So it's not just me with a floppy Universe Starscream? :D
Banjo-Tron
Godmaster
News Credits: 2

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers UNICRON #6 Cvr B 1st Printing IDW Comic 2018 AUG180713 6B (CA) Raiz"
Transformers UNICR ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #8 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 JUL210496 8A (CA) Griffith"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLACKARACHNIA Transformers Beast Wars McDonald's Happy Meal Premium 1998 230609A"
BLACKARACHNIA Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #16 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2022 MAR220506 16RI (CA) Stone"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Micro Machines Hauler Playset G1 Hasbro 2022 New"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON + GUM variant Transformers G2 Go-Bots Gobots Takara 1995 New 210112"
MEGATRON + GUM var ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #10 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 SEP210479 10B (CA) Williams II"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TL-58 SILVERBOLT Transformers Legacy United Voyager Beast Wars Takara Tomy New"
NEW!
TL-58 SILVERBOLT T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIMAL Transformers Beast Wars Super7 Reaction Retro Figure 2023 New"
NEW!
OPTIMUS PRIMAL Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MPG-02 GETSUEI Transformers Masterpiece G1 Trainbots Raiden Hasbro 2023 New"
MPG-02 GETSUEI Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "REFRAKTOR Transformers Canon EOS Rebel R5 camera G1 Reflector Hasbro 2023 New"
REFRAKTOR Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIMAL Transformers Beast Wars Walmart vtg reissue Hasbro 2021 New"
OPTIMUS PRIMAL Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DINOBOT Transformers Beast Wars Super7 Reaction Retro Figure 2023 New"
DINOBOT Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #12 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2022 NOV210460 12RI (CA) Jones"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Overlord Decepticon Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Strafe" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Trypticon Figure" on AMAZON