This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Virginia Comicon Convention Exclusive Transformers: Dark Cybertron #1 Cover by Rob Liefeld

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Virginia Comicon Convention Exclusive Transformers: Dark Cybertron #1 Cover by Rob Liefeld

Postby El Duque » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
SCOOP has revealed a convention exclusive cover for IDW Publishing's upcoming Transformers: Dark Cybertron #1 drawn by none other than Rob Liefeld. Those of you who were collecting comics in the 90's will recognize the homage to Liefeld's The New Mutants #87 cover.

This exclusive convention variant will be available at Virginia Comicon, which takes place Saturday and Sunday, November 23rd through 24th at the Old Dominion Building at the Richmond International Raceway, 600 East Laburnum Avenue, Richmond, VA 23222. Check out the cover below.

Convention guest Rob Liefeld, creator of Youngblood and Deadpool, has supplied a convention exclusive cover for IDW Publishing's Transformers: Dark Cybertron #1, and convention guest SL Gallant has illustrated a convention variant for G.I. Joe #196, which is written by Virginia Comicon guest Larry Hama.

El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Re: Virginia Comicon Convention Exclusive Transformers: Dark Cybertron #1 Cover by Rob Liefeld

Postby Super Megatron » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Motto: "Smashing Optimus Prime toys is the freedom of all sentient beings."
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
His name is really "Optimus" - "Prime" is his title.
Super Megatron
Vehicon
News Credits: 16
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: Virginia Comicon Convention Exclusive Transformers: Dark Cybertron #1 Cover by Rob Liefeld

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:42 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Nondescript background, hulking disproportioned body, generic grimacing faces, needlessly exaggerated eye twinkle, 90's "EXTREME" look...

Yep, that's one uber Liefeldian cover, alright. :P :roll:
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 437
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Supreme Convoy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:12 pm

Oh my god.

I must have this.
Supreme Convoy
Gestalt
News Credits: 34

Postby Seibertron » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:06 am

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
I think this is an awesome comic book convention exclusive cover. I miss the good ol' days of the early 90s Marvel comics. Fun stuff back in the day.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby jindrak » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:12 am

Weapon: Blunt Force Battle Clubs
I need this in my life!
Grimlock know how to bash brains. Maybe bash yours.
jindrak
Minibot
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 5
Courage: 9
Skill: 7

Postby Metrosuplex » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:09 am

Motto: ""Nothing so liberates the heart as when a fool awakens from his folly.""
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Wow. :shock: So generic! :BANG_HEAD:
Getting shots of the two together makes me want the New Mutants comic more. The TF "homage" feels uninspired and crappy - Liefeld can draw better than that! Wow... did he phone this one in or what? >:oP
Words from the wise:
GuyIncognito - "MetroSUplex, do you understand inflation? I'm guessing not."
Metrosuplex
Combiner
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby BATTLEMASTER IIC » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:32 am

I'm not a fan of the convention Dark Cybertron cover myself. Although it would be cool it Optimus became one of the most powerful telepaths with that flashing eye, like Cable :P
BATTLEMASTER IIC
Vehicon

Postby MagnusLabel » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:44 am

Motto: "(miming matches) My hovercraft is full of eels."
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
Am I the only one who think of Heart of Darkness?
MagnusLabel
Fuzor
Alt Mode: Jet
Strength: 3
Intelligence: ???
Speed: 4
Endurance: 6
Courage: 5
Firepower: 5
Skill: 8

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:08 am

Metrosuplex wrote:Wow. :shock: So generic! :BANG_HEAD:
Getting shots of the two together makes me want the New Mutants comic more. The TF "homage" feels uninspired and crappy - Liefeld can draw better than that! Wow... did he phone this one in or what? >:oP
So, in others, a typical Liefeld cover. :P

BATTLEMASTER IIC wrote:I'm not a fan of the convention Dark Cybertron cover myself. Although it would be cool it Optimus became one of the most powerful telepaths with that flashing eye, like Cable :P
:shock: Houston, I think we have a reference!

Optimus w/ awful eye flash = Cable. :roll:

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Convotron » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:25 am

Motto: "When in doubt, transform and roll out!"
I am no fan of Rob Liefeld but I like this cover for the fact that it's an homage to 90s style comic book covers.

Who better to reference a Rob Liefeld cover than Rob Liefeld himself?
Toys for sale, S.H. Figuarts, Revoltech, Robot Damashii, Figma, and more!

Discounts for purchases of 3 items or more! See sales thread for details.

Never forget the Oath Sworn Through Courage!
Convotron
City Commander
News Credits: 2
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10

Postby 1984forever » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:27 am

Awesome 90s cover! As much as I love it, unfortunately I won't be getting it because...

1) It's not worth venturing into the South to get a copy

2) It's not worth ordering either. I'm pretty sure that they don't make physical copies of comic books anymore. Is this book even real?
1984forever
Targetmaster

Postby Bleak5170 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:53 am

Weapon: Acetylene Torch Gun
Only Liefeld would do a homage to himself. No wonder everyone hates this guy, (and his horrible art).
Bleak5170
Minibot
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: 4
Firepower: 6

Postby President-prime » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:59 pm

I like Liefeld. I still have some of his comics from the 90s. But man, that cover looks awful. Makes Optimus looks scrawny like Bumblebee, and damn, that's bad
President-prime
Fuzor
Buy from President-prime on eBay

Postby President-prime » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Come on, if you're gonna do an exclusive, make sure it's good. Just because it's a popular artist doesn't mean you have to accept everything they do. A great swimmer may not be a great basketball player, although both are athletes. Being good at something in the same field doesn't make them good at everything in that field. Find Transformers or tech artists, not a popular human artist to draw tech or robots. Bad choice and bad exclusive!!
President-prime
Fuzor
Buy from President-prime on eBay

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:27 pm

President-prime wrote:I like Liefeld. I still have some of his comics from the 90s. But man, that cover looks awful. Makes Optimus looks scrawny like Bumblebee, and damn, that's bad
Scrawny? Prime's drawn in the staple Liefleding oversized hulking body that's too muscular for him to even move. ;)

President-prime wrote:Come on, if you're gonna do an exclusive, make sure it's good. Just because it's a popular artist doesn't mean you have to accept everything they do. A great swimmer may not be a great basketball player, although both are athletes. Being good at something in the same field doesn't make them good at everything in that field. Find Transformers or tech artists, not a popular human artist to draw tech or robots. Bad choice and bad exclusive!!
People don't hire Rob Liefeld if they want good-looking art. Liefeld artwork equaling subpar artwork is kind of the meme of the guy.

If you're asking for Liefeld, you're asking for awkward artwork full of bad 90's EXTREMEness. :P

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby robotmel » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:27 am

Motto: "I once pooped an Energon Cube!"
Weapon: Dino-Missiles
:D
Did Rob Liefeld become the Pat Lee of his day?

Seeing those two Liefeld covers side by side really brings back all the was hyped and crazy in a carefree comic collecting industry, before it all fell down!

If this, along with the My Little Pony Micro Series #5 where both available to the U.K. for a reasonable price, then I would buy for sure! :lol:

I would love to see a Todd McFarlane homage to his own classics Spidey cover but with [insert favourite Transformer here]!

ROBOTMEL'S WANTS LIST! :BOT: PM ME PLEASE!
Classics/Generations - 25th Ann Unicron, YotS Omega Supreme
Alternity - Ultra Magnus, Dai Atlas, Saber
IDW Transformers (2009 Ongoing) - #22b (VF/NM)
MARVEL Generation 2 - Halloween Special (VF/NM)
robotmel
Gestalt
News Credits: 14
Buy from robotmel on eBay
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:26 am

robotmel wrote::D
Liefeld was Lee's inspiration. No joke. ;)

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Va'al » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:37 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Sabrblade wrote:
robotmel wrote::D
Liefeld was Lee's inspiration. No joke. ;)

Indirectly, also Mark Waid and Alex Ross' for Kingdom Come.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #2 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 2D 1223IM262 (CA) ACO"
COBRA COMMANDER #2 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #29 Marvel Comics 1987 (W/CA) Budiansky 210422B"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers LAST BOT STANDING #3 Cvr C IDW Comics 2022 MAY221567 3C (CA) Gauntt"
Transformers LAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #29 IDW Comics 2014 (CA) Griffith (W) Barber"
Transformers ROBOT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ALL HAIL MEGATRON #9 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2009 9RI (CA) Perlin"
Transformers ALL H ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #18 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 231222H"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #1 4th ptg Image Comics 2023 0823IM819 (CA) Flaviano (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #1 4th ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #2 2nd ptg Cvr B Soundwave Image Comics 2023 (CA) Howard 240210B"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #2 2n ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS HEADMASTERS #3 Marvel Comics 1987 (A)Springer (W) Budiansky 230926A"
TRANSFORMERS HEADM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #4 2nd ptg Cvr B Jazz Image Comics 2024 0124IM895 (CA) Howard"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #4 2n ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2023 APR238112 2E (CA) Lotay (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #2 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2023 0923IM458 2C (CA) Arocena"
TRANSFORMERS #2 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers INFILTRATION #1 RI-B 1:50 foil IDW Comics 2006 1RIB (CA) Guidi"
Transformers INFIL ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS ESCAPE #3 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 DEC200470 3A (CA) McGuire-Smith"
TRANSFORMERS ESCAP ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Deception Off Road Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers RID Combiner Force Warriors Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Motormaster Figure" on AMAZON