This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview

Postby Va'al » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:20 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Ready for a recap? Thanks to our friends over at IDW, we have a full preview of this week's issue of Transformers More Than Meets the Eye! Check out the solicit and images below, and make sure to check back on Tuesday for the Seibertron.com review.

Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #22
James Roberts (w) • James Raiz (a) • Alex Milne, Nick Roche (c)
MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE: THE MOVIE! When the Autobots set off on their mission to find the Knights of Cybertron, RODIMUS gave REWIND a simple instruction: film everything. The result is a documentary that will forever change your perception of life on board the Lost Light. Discover RUNG’s secret! Meet the greatest Autobot of all time! And learn what SKIDS really got up to on Hedonia!
2 regular covers will be shipped in a 1-to-1 ratio
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
DARK CYBERTRON begins here!
Leads in to the biggest TRANSFORMERS event in comic book history, beginning next month!
SKIDS variant cover by Phil Jimenez

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Preview

Postby samcool2006 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:57 pm

I have a feeling I'm going to like this issue.....
samcool2006
Mini-Con

Postby YoungPrime » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Wow...."Decabots"? Seriously???

Why isn't James Roberts a CEO or Mayor at Hasbro?

Can't wait till Wednesday.
Last edited by YoungPrime on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoungPrime
Headmaster Jr

Postby Va'al » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:59 pm

YoungPrime wrote:Wow...."Decabots"? Seriously???

Can't wait till Weds.

I have a feeling we've already seen these new characters' designs, actually..
Will say more in the review, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby YoungPrime » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Va'al wrote:

Can't wait till Weds.

What the green guys?

Yeah they're that upcomming Generations deluxe combiner that's releasing with Armada Starscream. But I'd be really surprised if the name on the box is indeed 16444/9 or any other type of arithmetic.
Last edited by YoungPrime on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoungPrime
Headmaster Jr

Postby Va'al » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:31 pm

YoungPrime wrote:
Va'al wrote:

Can't wait till Weds.

What the green guys?

Yeah they're that upcomming combinger that's releasing with Armada Starscream. But I'd be really surprised if the name on the box is indeed 16444/9 or any other type of arithmetic.

Hah, that would be quite the reference. :D

But yes, I do think the 'minicon combiner' is an Ammonite soldier. Which makes me want the figures even more.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby YoungPrime » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Va'al wrote:
YoungPrime wrote:
Va'al wrote:

Can't wait till Weds.

What the green guys?

Yeah they're that upcomming combinger that's releasing with Armada Starscream. But I'd be really surprised if the name on the box is indeed 16444/9 or any other type of arithmetic.

Hah, that would be quite the reference. :D

But yes, I do think the 'minicon combiner' is an Ammonite soldier. Which makes me want the figures even more.

I was trying to match up the insignia of "16444/9" with the Deluxe figure in question but it appears to be a different bot. But judging from issue #24 of More Than Meets The Eye, we haven't seen the last of these guys.

YoungPrime
Headmaster Jr

Postby Neurie » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:20 pm

16444/9 is probably the numerical design number for the toy. All the toys have them and I believe some have them stamped on the boxes(my FOC Blaster has 3193/1 and C-1602A for example).

Does look like a great issue
Neurie
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 4

Postby snavej » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Motto: "Follow your instincts and your common sense."
Ha! A superior race of transforming robots! Well, it's a big universe. They were bound to find such a race eventually.
snavej
Gestalt
Alt Mode: Small starship - able to traverse entire universe.
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 3
Courage: 9
Skill: 8

IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Review

Postby Va'al » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:56 am

Little Victories
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE: THE MOVIE! When the Autobots set off on their mission to find the Knights of Cybertron, RODIMUS gave REWIND a simple instruction: film everything. The result is a documentary that will forever change your perception of life on board the Lost Light. Discover RUNG’s secret! Meet the greatest Autobot of all time! And learn what SKIDS really got up to on Hedonia!

Remember him? Remember?!

Story

We were told by the solicits and various interviews with James Roberts that this would be a breather issue, an actual 'filler' comic (for those of you who love throwing the word about), and it definitely does do that. But it does a little more too, both in terms of looking back, fleshing out and dropping some hints at what Dark Cybertron might bring.

JUST OPEN THE DAMN BRIEFCASE

Roberts has plenty of time and space in this issue to work his humour and dialogue, without falling into the tonal discordances that occur during big emotional moments or fight scenes. Setting the story mostly during downtimes allows him to just play around with characters and episodes we've seen so far. And the individual panels format really brings out the more idiosyncratic lines by the Lost Light crew.

Unvincible

But, as I said, there's a little more to that. We're introduced to an (apparently) even more advanced and belligerous mechanical civilisation, the Ammonites and the Terradores, which seem to be multiple combiners of adorable little minicon-sized robots. Or are they? Are they hiding anything? Is there.. more than meets the eye?

Yep, we'll definitely see ultra-biners

The issue overall is definitely a recap and a pause, but there are two moments that make it fit even better in the path to Dark Cybertron. The Thunderclash episode and the Hedonia expanded story were actually blended together fairly well, while still having the 'these are just two things that happened' feeling about them. And find out Rung's altmode.

Art

As mentioned, teased and prodded at for quite a while now, this issue marks the return of James Raiz on artwork duties, and it's definitely different from Milne or Roche's approach. Raiz has a darker, heavier touch to his lines, while still not losing in details. Some readers will complain, but I personally like the different style.

So was I, Cyclonus, so was I

Josh Burcham works quite nicely with Raiz's darker style, bringing a light touch and a touch of light to the heavier lines in the pencils and inks. He works particularly well with the different camera perspectives, shifting tones slightly for the Rewind vs Lost Light security camera shots.

Red Alert's presence/paranoia is *everywhere*

The lettering doesn't have to do too much in the issue, but Tom B. Long still has some nice moments, in the style I've come to expect from him. All in all, I like the different texture of the artistic side of the issue, and don't think it detracts anything from the story or its details.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

As I mentioned above, we get to delve a little into the life of some of the major cast members of the Lost Light, expanding on some episodes, almost answering a couple of questions and preparing the stage even if very briefly, for what is ahead. And Rung's altmode. And be prepared for some really, really silly humour.

And self-deprecation?

The art might not appeal to all readers used to the Milne or Roche approaches, but I would still suggest considering it as how Rewind sees the world through his camera - Raiz does a great job in picking up on the artistic qualities of the entire run, and reproduces them perfectly, in his own style.

A final comment, though, to this final issue of what Roberts calls Season 1 of MTMTE. I can't shake off the feeling that this and the prose extract from #21 could have somehow been shrunk together, allowing for some more light on the Tyrest situation. In any case, it's a good issue, and one I think we'll need once we lose cast members (as Roberts has, as per usual, teased).

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Hypershock » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:59 am

Motto: "I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe. Oh, and I may or may not have been to Coruscant once or twice. Recently. Possibly."
Weapon: Dual Solar Powererd Vibro Cannons
aaaahahahaha, looks like the Circle of Light shares Seibertron's opinion of the Lost Light Crew members :lol: :grin:
Hypershock
Combiner
Watch Hypershock on YouTube
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 8
Courage: 6
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Postby Va'al » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:31 am

Hypershock wrote:aaaahahahaha, looks like the Circle of Light shares Seibertron's opinion of the Lost Light Crew members :lol: :grin:

Yeah, Roberts does play on fan-reactions a lot. :D
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby 1984forever » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:24 am

Va'al wrote:
Hypershock wrote:aaaahahahaha, looks like the Circle of Light shares Seibertron's opinion of the Lost Light Crew members :lol: :grin:

Yeah, Roberts does play on fan-reactions a lot. :D

Yes, I got the feeling that Tyrest's belief that he could reach Cyberutopia by killing all the KOs was a parody of my belief that Transformers would be purified if every character after G1 season 1 was omitted from existence.

As for the art on this issue... Booooooo! I'm tired of seeing banged up wrecks in the pages of Transformers. Raiz needs to consult with Floro Dery on the correct way to draw these characters.
1984forever
Targetmaster

Postby Burn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:50 am

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
That was a damn good read, and I haven't really been a fan of this book.

And it's not too often I laugh out loud while reading a comic, but Whirl "ending the 16 million year old war" and the reveal of Rung's "alt-mode" was too hard not to laugh at.

One thing I couldn't work out was Magnus' reaction to Thunderclash's praise. Just could not work out what was going on in that frame.
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby Va'al » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:18 pm

Burn wrote:That was a damn good read, and I haven't really been a fan of this book.

And it's not too often I laugh out loud while reading a comic, but Whirl "ending the 16 million year old war" and the reveal of Rung's "alt-mode" was too hard not to laugh at.

One thing I couldn't work out was Magnus' reaction to Thunderclash's praise. Just could not work out what was going on in that frame.

He hugs him. The big softie.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 - Deleted Drift and Ratchet Scene

Postby Va'al » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:02 am

There was a time before Dark Cybertron and Autobot Megatron, in IDW's Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye. A time before Drift was exiled, and a time during which James Roberts had imagined an extra interaction between him and medic Ratchet in issue #22 - one that you can now read below as a New Year's gift from the writer himself! For all intents and purposes, this is essentially fan-fiction, as it was never approved or included, but you can start reading below, and the full piece here.

The following was cut from MTMTE #22 (the documentary issue) for reasons of space - it would have taken up five pages. But as you can see, it was written up and ready to go. It was never seen or approved by John Barber or Hasbro, let alone published, so it's not canon (it's headcanon to me, though).

The lead-in to this scene would have been a to-camera interview with Drift in which he would have bemoaned Ratchet’s lack of a sense of humor. I’d originally written it – or something like it – for issue #13, but again it had to go when more important things took up page space.

FIRST PAGE

1 / Drift walks into the medibay, where Ratchet is waiting with Rewind. Ratchet looks troubled and pensive. He’s leaning on one of the circuit slabs.

DRIFT: You wanted to see me.

DRIFT: Am I ill?

RATCHET: You’re fine. It’s me.

RATCHET: Close the door.

2 / Ratchet in the foreground, looking at the floor. Drift in the background, in front of the closed door, hand on the door activation pad, looking at Ratchet.

RATCHET: This is—

RATCHET: You’ll appreciate this is particularly difficult
for me to talk about, however…

RATCHET: You may be many things, but—until your
next massive personality shift—you’re not one to gloat.

3 / Drift stands opposite Ratchet, looking worried.

DRIFT: Okay, I’m worried now.

DRIFT: What is it? Is everything alright?

4 / Cut to Drift being interviewed.

DRIFT: I’d never seen him so worried.

DRIFT: And he was being nice—to me.

5 / Back to the medibay, as Panel 3. Ratchet is looking at his hands.

RATCHET: It’s my hands.

RATCHET: Pharma’s hands.

RATCHET: I mean the hands you, er, liberated from
Pharma.

RATCHET: The rogue doctor we met on Delphi. Who’s
now dead.

6 / Cut to Ratchet being interviewed.

RATCHET: I don’t know why I added that bit.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:23 am

Motto: "Always Be’s-ing and do’s-ing, never cheesing or choosing!"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
I sincerely hope this somehow makes it's way into the season 2 annual.
Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

SW's SilverHammer wrote:Eat my ass funpub.

Burn wrote:And this is for taking Nemesis Maximo seriously.
*high fives Silly in the face*

carytheone wrote:I can't be assed to do any better right now.
Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt
Alt Mode: Lounge Lizard
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 7

Postby Randomhero » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:13 pm

Well it wouldnt becuse its being shared now. Thats like handing out the script to a movie to the public before releasing it. It doesnt work like that. James is sharing it because its a scrapped portion of something published. If it was going to be officially published in MTME he would not have shared it
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

MTMTE issue #22 lost pages

Postby leokearon » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:01 am

Motto: "Every little bit helps"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
A while back James Roberts gave us the script for five pages that were cut from MTMTE #22. Now MTMTE colourist Josh Burcham has actually created the missing pages on his Deviantart Account: http://dcjosh.deviantart.com/ Enjoy

Looking for:
G2 Sideswipe's spoiler
leokearon
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 18
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye #22 Deleted Scene - Art by Josh Burcham

Postby Va'al » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:43 am

We reported James Roberts' deleted scene from IDW's Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #22, featuring Drift and Ratchet - so it's only fair that we also show you the great work that artist Josh Burcham has done with the script! Check out the mirrored pages below (thanks to a tip from fellow Seibertronian leokearon, and drop by Burcham's deviantArt page for more.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Madeus Prime » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:55 am

Motto: "Rule #45 of the Madeus Handbook: Timey wimey is an adequate term for scienc-y stuff."
Ohh, I needed that. Ah, I feel better now that I got my dose of MTMTE. I-)
Madeus Prime art credited to SillySpringer
Madeus Prime
City Commander
News Credits: 23
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 7
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Postby ishigoto » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:15 am

THIS IS HEADCANON NOW! This lil scene adds so much to Drift and Ratchet now and I love it.
ishigoto
Micromaster

Postby Nisus » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:49 am

LOL! He went full anime with Drift and Ratchet's Badges.
Nisus
Mini-Con

Postby dragons » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:50 pm

Nisus wrote:LOL! He went full anime with Drift and Ratchet's Badges.

yes he did i dont know what to say this doesnt fit int otransformers series at all for me something i expect mr bay to put int o his transformers movies not expect to see in comics this is dumb comedy for transformers, transformers animated series it can fit into but everyhitng else no way never known rachet and drift to have sense of humor and drift is skinny looking
dragons
Gestalt
News Credits: 21

Postby Gallifreyan Autobot » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:54 pm

Motto: "The war is not won by who is toughest it is about courage and how smart one is"
Weapon: Ionic Blaster
is it me or does the art style of these deleted scenes remind anyone of the art style of Termination and A Common Foe :-? :lol:
Autobot tap out wrote:
i hope y'all realize once Va'al gets back from wherever and reads these post insulting his favorite character , somebody's not going to be a happy camper :roll: >:oP

LOST Cybertronian wrote: He is currently tied up in the Seibertron.com basement. When we see fit to let him go, you can be sure he will give his opinions on the subject.

D-Maximus_Prime wrote: I thought the Daleks had him? :BOT:

Hellscream9999 wrote: They do

The truth is revealed :shock:
Gallifreyan Autobot
Vehicon
News Credits: 1
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: ???
Skill: 10+

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero SERPENTOR UNCOILED One-Shot IDW Comics 2021 231113"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #281 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 210518A 281RI (CA)Maloney"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #1 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 MAR238214 1B (CA) Young (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE YEARBOOK #4 Marvel Comics 1988 (CA) Trimpe (W) Hama 220721A"
NEW!
GI JOE YEARBOOK #4 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2023 APR238112 2E (CA) Lotay (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2023 1D GI JOE 1023IM262 (CA) Epting"
DUKE #1 Cvr D 1:25 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 0823IM476 5A (CA) De Felici (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #300 Cvr F RI 1:25 IDW Comics 2022 300F (CA) Joseph"
NEW!
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2024 0124IM330 7E (CA) Walta (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TALES OF GI JOE #4 Marvel Comics 1988 (CA) Hall (W) Hama (A) Trimpe 220721A"
NEW!
TALES OF GI JOE #4 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #276 Cvr B IDW Comics 2020 276B (CA) Shearer 230607B"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr E 1:50 Quintesson Image Comics 0823IM480 5E (CA) Lee 231010Q"
VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #4 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 4A GI JOE 0124IM247 (A/CA) Reilly (W) WIlliamson"
NEW!
DUKE #4 Cvr A Imag ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 3rd ptg Image Comics 2023 0823IM820 (CA) Flaviano (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 3rd ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Vorath and Mindwipe" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Turbo Changer Super Nova Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Voyager Class Megatron" on AMAZON