Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby xRotorstormx » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Motto: ""Get into your enemy's mind. And then beat him at his own evil game.""
Welcome to the latest edition of the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast! This episode features your host for the evening, ScottyP along with the regulars Jon 3.0, Rotorstorm, Seibertron, and Tigertrack

Episode 98 "Combiner Wars" is available directly and in our RSS Feed and should appear on iTunes and Stitcher Radio within 24 to 48 hours of when you see this news post.

(00:00- 05:56)
We start the night off with some fun chit chat but it doesn't take long for the crew to dive in to what everyone wants to hear... and that is toy talk!

(5:56- 20:14)
First up we discuss Combiner Wars!, the newly revealed combiner toys from Hasbro that were on display at San Diego Comic Con...Has Hasbro finally answered our prayers for combiners or is something else motivating them??
Image

(20:14 - 38:10)
We then follow up with some in depth discussion about the stunticons.

Image

(38:10 - 53:20)
Up next we will discuss our thoughts on the new Generations Voyagers, SkyByte and Roadbuster. (...and hey, don't forget to check out the JAWSOME photo galleries of them!)

Image

(53:20 - oops! We kinda got distracted :P)
Tankor and Rattrap are finally starting to appear at retail. Some of us have them in hand so tune in to hear what the cast thinks of these figures...and by the way, they are in stock at HTS!

Image

(Where are we again?? - 1:47:ish)
The SDCC exclusives have finally hit the Hasbro Toy Shop! Were we surprised at what sold out and what is still available? Guess you'll have to tune in to find out.

Image

(1:19:12-1:23:48)

Up next, we discussed the TFCC and their 2 big figure reveals. The 2015 membership freebie figure, Lio Convoy, and the club exclusive figure, Nova Prime.

Image

...and then we derailed a bit... but it's all in good fun :)

Image

(1:26:30- 1:42:26)
We then talk about the new images of Masterpiece Star Saber that surfaced but...how well will this MP figure do? Is Star Saber popular enough? Tune in to hear our answers.

Image

(1:42:26- 1:47:57)
Up next, we have our favorite segment...Listener questions!!

:x :x :x
ImageImage

(1:47:57 - 2:27:30)
We then close out the night with some bragging rights.

Image

Thanks everyone for listening and we appreciate the continued support! Don't forget, the show only gets better if you tell us how. Drop us a review on iTunes or Stitcher Radioand be sure to tell us what you love, what you hate, and what you want to hear!

Not on the show to give your take? Probably not, so don't forget to keep the discussion going on the Seibertron.com Energon Pub Forums by simply replying to this post!

Got a question for the Twincast? We take all of them, we just don't take them all seriously! Leave a question in the Ask the Twincast thread and, if it makes the cut, it may get read and answered on the show.
User avatar
xRotorstormx
Minibot
Posts: 107
News Credits: 17
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: ER, Michigan
Watch xRotorstormx on YouTube
Buy from xRotorstormx on eBay

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby Flashwave » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:49 pm

Motto: "Our society's downfall will not be this war. The war IS our society. That which will get us will be the little things. Some humanoid race, some tossed cannon, the little things that no one looks out for. THAT is for what we must be vigilant."
Weapon: Twin Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launchers
I get the feelng Razorclaw was involved in the writeup... or does Scotty find Wahlberg to be a hunk? Should Candace be worried? :P
Image
User avatar
Flashwave
City Commander
Posts: 3752
News Credits: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:42 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 9
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby Convoy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:16 pm

I'm not a KO guy. The closest I've gotten is the Brave reissue of Sky Garry that I put reprolabels on.
(been meaning to post that lazy custom.)

tl;dr Where do I find that Machine Robo Browning KO I've heard about for the price of a Takara car?
It's one of those molds I'd love to own that I don't envision ever being reproduced at an official capacity.
My prehistoric hunting skills fail me.

P.S. Excited about REAL combiners (love the hands/feet) and Star Saber will be mine!
No matter the cost.


Edit: Watch MP Victory Leo get a release down the road with Star Saber exclusively in a Victory Saber box set.
Just imagine Victory Leo is to Star Saber as the MP-04 trailer is to MP-01.
Convoy
Minibot
Posts: 162
News Credits: 6
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:36 am

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby lonrac » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:29 am

Motto: "My 'collection' isn't worth bragging about"
Weapon: Photon Pistol
Another great discussion,

looking forward to the new combiners, though I hope that they follow up quickly with a defensor, bruticus, Computron......


the PCC combiners weren't a bad toy, just needed some fiction to go with it, the united ex story does make a lot of difference to how the toys are viewed.

...also please, when you were tearing through the box for the SDCC dinobot leg, please don't have meant that literally.
User avatar
lonrac
Minibot
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:05 am
Location: Co. Tipperary, Ireland
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 3
Endurance: 2
Courage: 2
Firepower: 2
Skill: 2

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby craggy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:43 am

Glenn Close is Nova Prime. Meryl Streep played Alpha Trion. :-?
assembling a Neo-G1/TF:TM cast. Please PM if you have (or know of) the following at a reasonable price: Classics or Henkei Astrotrain, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Blurr, or 3rd Party iGear Ratchet and Ironhide.
Also looking for Universe Repugnus and Overbite, Frostbite and Longhorn and any Webdiver toys.
craggy
Faction Commander
Posts: 4725
News Credits: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:07 pm

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby Kibble » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:47 am

Motto: "Shut up and take my SQUEE!"
Weapon: No Weapon
I think the spirit of my question was lost...it wasn't about which hunk you'd most want to score a date with, but rather how you'd feel about acquiring their peas. And while I didn't want to exclude the guys, I didn't think winding up with 'his peas' was quite as interesting as getting 'her peas' from your fave TF cast member... ;)

But you know what they say...if you have to explain the question, it wasn't that good to begin with. :-(
User avatar
Kibble
City Commander
Posts: 3637
News Credits: 3
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:54 am

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
You know, I do happen to have MP3s of all the Japanese TF songs. ;) Well, up to Animated, at least (still need to get the Japanese songs from Prime and Go!).


Small pet peeve of mine: The "Lio" in "Lio Convoy" is pronounced as "Lie-oh", not "Lee-oh". Like "Lion" minus the "n".

And, of course, Ginrai's name is like hard liquor + fine bread. :P
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 17726
News Credits: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby ScottyP » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
Flashwave wrote:I get the feelng Razorclaw was involved in the writeup... or does Scotty find Wahlberg to be a hunk? Should Candace be worried? :P


It was 100% Bob. He lobbied in staff emails to get a shirtless picture but we didn't go that far.


Convoy wrote:Where do I find that Machine Robo Browning KO I've heard about for the price of a Takara car?
It's one of those molds I'd love to own that I don't envision ever being reproduced at an official capacity.

Edit: Watch MP Victory Leo get a release down the road with Star Saber exclusively in a Victory Saber box set.
Just imagine Victory Leo is to Star Saber as the MP-04 trailer is to MP-01.


I'd double dip on Star Saber in a multipack just to have Victory Saber. In a heartbeat. Could display one as a super bot and the other in alt mode.

As for the Browning KO, I got mine at Ace's Toy Store http://acestoystore.com/store/index.php ... cts_id=605 They also make a version with red plastic instead of blue, but it appears to be sold out since it isn't listed on there anymore.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast.
Every once in a blue moon I write stuff about things on my blog.
I have a lot of Transformers, check them out on my shmax.com page.
Looking for Micromaster Spinner, rare Minicons and Star Saber's Rifle. PM me if you have these for sale!
User avatar
ScottyP
Godmaster
Posts: 1560
News Credits: 47
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 3:42 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby william-james88 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:10 am

Did any of you figure out later, when you finally watched Guardians that Meryl Streep was not in it, and that it was Glenn Close instead?
Latest TFs: G1 Optimus Prime, G1 Springer, G1 Grimlock, G1 Slugslinger, G1 Silverbolt, G1 Sharkticon, G1 Thrust, G1 Topspin, G1 Scorponok with Lord Zarak.
User avatar
william-james88
News Staff
Posts: 972
News Credits: 23
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby ScottyP » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:04 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
william-james88 wrote:Did any of you figure out later, when you finally watched Guardians that Meryl Streep was not in it, and that it was Glenn Close instead?


I had watched it, just got the name wrong. They look similar to me.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast.
Every once in a blue moon I write stuff about things on my blog.
I have a lot of Transformers, check them out on my shmax.com page.
Looking for Micromaster Spinner, rare Minicons and Star Saber's Rifle. PM me if you have these for sale!
User avatar
ScottyP
Godmaster
Posts: 1560
News Credits: 47
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 3:42 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby Va'al » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:16 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
I believe the choice of combiners was actually dictated by the IDW comics, this time, rather than the other way round. Barber and Roberts, and even Costa, have been introducing Devastator (and I can't imagine Hasbro not working on that one!) - then Menasor as a failed project, and currently Superion in pre- and during Dark Cybertron, with Devastator/Prowlestator also at the fore.

So I take the point being made about the choice, but it's nice to have fiction dictating toys in a more obvious way for once. :D

And how dare you insult the Power Core Combiners. :-x ( :P )



The name is Va'al. This is the closest I could find:
Do you have Transformers news for Seibertron.com? Contact us here!


Image
Avatar image by sabrigami
User avatar
Va'al
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 7002
News Credits: 67
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:00 am
Location: UK, Italy
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby william-james88 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Va'al wrote:And how dare you insult the Power Core Combiners. :-x ( :P )




Haha! When I heard them talk about PCC that way, I knew you'd flip. You actually got me hooked on them and I gotta tell you, there is no better time to be hooked on PCCs since they have gotten really cheap recently. My favourite is still Grimstone though I find undertow really cool too (but I am a big Bioshock fan so there is a bias).
Latest TFs: G1 Optimus Prime, G1 Springer, G1 Grimlock, G1 Slugslinger, G1 Silverbolt, G1 Sharkticon, G1 Thrust, G1 Topspin, G1 Scorponok with Lord Zarak.
User avatar
william-james88
News Staff
Posts: 972
News Credits: 23
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 am
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:12 pm

Motto: "FOR THE EARTH!!!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
Va'al wrote:I believe the choice of combiners was actually dictated by the IDW comics, this time, rather than the other way round. Barber and Roberts, and even Costa, have been introducing Devastator (and I can't imagine Hasbro not working on that one!) - then Menasor as a failed project, and currently Superion in pre- and during Dark Cybertron, with Devastator/Prowlestator also at the fore.

So I take the point being made about the choice, but it's nice to have fiction dictating toys in a more obvious way for once. :D
I'm thinking it was more of a collaborated effort between both Hasbro and IDW, since all the stuff that Costa did with Menasor wasn't part of any longterm plan to be realized five years after he used Menasor, and the current design team at Hasbro wasn't around back then either. It seems more reasonable to assume that both the current Hasbro team and Barber/Roberts simply sat down with each other, decided that combiners would be a neat idea for both parties to try out together this time, and collaborated to figure out which ones they could each do and how they could make each of them work for both Hasbro's toymaking/toy-selling angle and IDW's storytelling angle.
If you've read Exodus, wanna read the War For Cybertron comic? PM me.
Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 17726
News Credits: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Florida, the "Neglected" State
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby Va'al » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:06 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Sabrblade wrote:
Va'al wrote:I believe the choice of combiners was actually dictated by the IDW comics, this time, rather than the other way round. Barber and Roberts, and even Costa, have been introducing Devastator (and I can't imagine Hasbro not working on that one!) - then Menasor as a failed project, and currently Superion in pre- and during Dark Cybertron, with Devastator/Prowlestator also at the fore.

So I take the point being made about the choice, but it's nice to have fiction dictating toys in a more obvious way for once. :D


I'm thinking it was more of a collaborated effort between both Hasbro and IDW, since all the stuff that Costa did with Menasor wasn't part of any longterm plan to be realized five years after he used Menasor, and the current design team at Hasbro wasn't around back then either. It seems more reasonable to assume that both the current Hasbro team and Barber/Roberts simply sat down with each other, decided that combiners would be a neat idea for both parties to try out together this time, and collaborated to figure out which ones they could each do and how they could make each of them work for both Hasbro's toymaking/toy-selling angle and IDW's storytelling angle.



I do agree that it all probably happened around the same time as the DC event was brainstormed, along with Autobot Megatron and the various pack-ins - but RID was already quite big (:P) on its combiner plotlines, and Barber has said a number of times that yes, *something* to do with combiners was inevitable seeing how the story was developing.

If you'll allow me, I shall fool myself into thinking that the comics came just slightly first this time. :D
Do you have Transformers news for Seibertron.com? Contact us here!


Image
Avatar image by sabrigami
User avatar
Va'al
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 7002
News Credits: 67
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:00 am
Location: UK, Italy
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby Va'al » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:13 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
william-james88 wrote:
Va'al wrote:And how dare you insult the Power Core Combiners. :-x ( :P )




Haha! When I heard them talk about PCC that way, I knew you'd flip. You actually got me hooked on them and I gotta tell you, there is no better time to be hooked on PCCs since they have gotten really cheap recently. My favourite is still Grimstone though I find undertow really cool too (but I am a big Bioshock fan so there is a bias).


How can anyone not love them? :(

Image
Image
Image

And the commanders alone are adorable, if a little sneaky.
Image
Image
Image
Do you have Transformers news for Seibertron.com? Contact us here!


Image
Avatar image by sabrigami
User avatar
Va'al
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 7002
News Credits: 67
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:00 am
Location: UK, Italy
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #98 "Combiner Wars"

Postby OptimalOptimus2 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:06 am

Motto: "Execution of all life is not the road to conquest."
Weapon: Oxidating Laser
Hey Podcasters! The thread for my game is here if you want to check it out.
User avatar
OptimalOptimus2
Combiner
Posts: 484
News Credits: 10
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:49 pm
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 10
Rank: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 6


Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #105 - Megatronus
Twincast / Podcast #105:
"Megatronus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, November 23rd, 2014