This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Hasbro Universe - MASK, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

IDW Hasbro Universe - MASK, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe

Postby Va'al » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:51 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
We've had a lot of build-up to this official reveal from IDW Publishing about their HAsbro properties, from August solicitations for Transformers, to the Hasbro Allspark Studios writers' rooms - but it looks like everything will be coming together in a gigantic crossover, including the three ongoings: Till All Are One, More Than Meets the Eye and The Transformers! Read more on REVOLUTION below, and let us know what you think in the Energon Pub!

The Revolution Is Here
IDW Merges Their Iconic Hasbro Comics in an Epic Crossover Event

San Diego, CA (June 1, 2016) – IDW Publishing has unveiled its most ambitious comic book publishing venture in its history revolving around its fan-favorite titles based on Hasbro properties.

The “Revolution” event marks the birth of a comic book crossover that will be comprised of not only the TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE properties, but also all-new properties MICRONAUTS, ROM, and ACTION MAN, as well as the launch of a long-awaited M.A.S.K.: Mobile Armored Strike Kommand series.

This is not a reboot—rather, the Revolution series takes many of the building blocks of what has come before from IDW and builds on them anew, bringing all these elements together in an epic event that results in an all-new status quo for all involved. Everything fans have enjoyed up to this point remains intact as part of this ongoing continuity. The ramifications of Revolution will extend well beyond the event, as all of these iconic characters will henceforth exist in the same universe, altering the scope of IDW editorial in all the Hasbro series from this moment onward.

Revolution, the bi-weekly five-issue event series that launches this initiative, will be co-written by Cullen Bunn (MICRONAUTS) and John Barber (TRANSFORMERS) with art by Fico Ossio (MICRONAUTS). The event kicks off with a world-shaking threat that brings all opposing factions together in a storyline that just might see the destruction of the universe before it can truly begin!

All aforementioned titles will tie-in to the event with a bevy of talent on board including:

ROM
Co-written by Chris Ryall (Onyx), Christos Gage (Marvel’s Daredevil)
Art by David Messina (Star Trek)

G.I. Joe
Written by Aubrey Sitterson (Street Fighter X G.I. JOE)
Art by Giannis Milonogiannis (Prophet)

Transformers: Till All Are One
Written by Mairghread Scott (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, TRANSFORMERS)
Art by Naoto Tsushima (TRANSFORMERS)

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye
Written by James Roberts (TRANSFORMERS)
Art by Alex Milne (TRANSFORMERS)

Transformers
Written by John Barber (Back to the Future)
Art by Andrew Griffith (TRANSFORMERS)

M.A.S.K.
Written by Brandon Easton (Marvel’s Agent Carter, TRANSFORMERS: Deviations)
Art by Tony Vargas (Rot & Ruin)

Action Man
Written by John Barber (TRANSFORMERS)
Art by Paolo Villanelli (G.I. JOE: SNAKE EYES)

Micronauts
Written by Cullen Bunn (Uncanny X-Men)
Art by Chris Panda

And many more!

“The Revolution series builds out of a detail that was introduced in IDW’s first-ever issue of TRANSFORMERS in 2005,” said IDW’s Chief Creative Officer, Chris Ryall. “So to finally be able to build upon the various story elements we’ve seeded over the years, and which come into play in a big way starting with July’s ROM #1 even before the launch of Revolution, is a blast. We’ve been working toward a full-fledged universe for some time and it’s great fun to be able to finally bring it to vivid life, especially since it allows us to give the world new titles like the very-requested M.A.S.K., as well as some exciting new books still to be announced.”

“We’ve done plenty of crossovers in the past,” said Michael Kelly, Head of Global Publishing at Hasbro, “but nothing near this scope or scale. Our heroes, whether they are from Earth or from distant reaches of the galaxy, all have one thing in common: their powers and abilities are based primarily on technology. We have been able to use this fact to build a natural and believable link between all of these disparate characters. The result is a complex and dynamic world where all manner of conflicts and team-ups can and will exist. If you are a fan of Hasbro’s brands, your time is now.”

As Revolution rolls out, each associated series will receive its own “Revolution” one-shot that ties in to the main event. Revolution will feature an array of variant covers with stunning cover art by Brandon Peterson, Tradd Moore, John Byrne, James Biggie, Adam Riches, Guido Guidi, Ken Christensen, Art Baltazar, and more.

Nothing will be the same after the Revolution erupts this September with issues 1 & 2 plus one-shot tie-ins (G.I. JOE, MICRONAUTS, ROM) all available to order together. Take a stand!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe

Postby Ironhidensh » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:10 pm

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
That art work makes me excited. In my pants. Don't judge me.
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
News Credits: 25
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - MASK, Transformers, Action Man, Micronauts, ROM, GI Joe

Postby NurseRatchet » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:16 pm

Motto: "Til all are rust!"
Weapon: Rapid-Fire Energy Pulse Cannon
So many different scales. :HEADHURTS:
NurseRatchet
Mini-Con
Alt Mode: A-10 Warthog
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall Interview, John Barber Clarifications

Postby Va'al » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:29 pm

Courtesy of Entertainment Weekly, we have some more information on the IDW Publishing crossover event REVOLUTION, featuring all the Hasbro licensed series and restarting the comics numbering at #1 for the books involved. Chris Ryall answered some of the questions, which you can read in full here, and a snippet below.

We've also included a compilation of tweets from Ryall and John Barber, to help navigate this big change in the IDWverse. So fear not, and keep reading!

But IDW editor-in-chief Chris Ryall insists this isn’t a reboot.

“We didn’t want this to be what fans have seen from so many others, which is a reboot or a relaunch where you’re asked to forget about all these characters and stories you’ve been following for years,” Ryall says. “It’s just now everybody will be acknowledging each other in a much greater way than ever before.”

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How did this whole thing come about?
CHRIS RYALL: It happened in a stealthy way. When I was bringing back ROM, the co-writer Christos Gage and I were talking about a nice way to make something big and impactful happen in that issue. So at the end of the issue there’s a big reveal that shows ROM might be a part of a larger universe than fans expected at the start. We were going to stealthily seed things along the way, so that fans would think these guys might exist in ROM’s world and then, in talking about it internally, it just made sense, now that we’re launching Micronauts and ROM, and we’ve already got G.I. Joe and Transformers, and were looking to do M.A.S.K. All these things should exist together. That’s what fans want to see.

When we first launched G.I. Joe, fans asked us, “Are they gonna meet the Transformers?” And every time we’ve added a Hasbro title since then, it’s been the same question. Are the Micronauts gonna meet the Transformers? Is ROM gonna meet the Micronauts?

[...]

What will the event involve?
Revolution is its own thing. It’s a five-part biweekly series that we’re launching in September, and that series will detail the reasons why these characters are all drawn together. It centers around something called Ore 13, which is an unstable version of Energon, the material that gives the Transformers their power and life. There’s a version of that on earth, that has an adverse effect on tech, which adversely affects ROM, and changes the status of him and his villains, the Dire Wraiths. It affects the Micronauts universe in a way they didn’t expect, and then it also gives birth to M.A.S.K., which is a big new title we’re launching out of this.

So that series details the reason for all these characters to be drawn together. Then all the series will be relaunched with new number ones and this new status quo. The plan is to have the characters go back to occupying their own spaces. I don’t want G.I. Joe or Transformers fans to feel like they have to buy every issue of everything we publish now just to get the whole story. If they do, certainly that’s a nice outcome, but I still want them to read a Transformers book and have it feel like a Transformers book. It’s just, now within that universe, ROM is somewhere in the background and may be drawn back in at some point.

Barber:

I'm very excited about Revolution, and it's absolutely not going to scale anything back from what's happened in any Transformers comics.

Revolution will get these comics where I think they always should have been, and since I like where they are already...

...I don't think we'll be losing anything we already like.

Oh--important note, the list of creative teams in the press release is for the Revolution tie-in stories.

Just to make clear--post Revolution, @SaraLePew and @Max_Dunbar will still be there!

Ryall:

How do the other Transformers books play in (MTMTE, TAAO), renumbered? ending? untouched?

We'll get into more specifics soon but some will end and restart differently; TAAO will keep rolling as is.

It won't affect Titan Wars. We've been threading this needle very carefully for some time know, building to this.

MTMTE untouched?

Rather, you can assume that any involvement will make sense to that series and not change what James has built.

OK now I'm panicking. Restarting MTMTE is just about the craziest thing to do to a book with such a hardcore fandom.

I understand the trepidation but we're not abandoning plans, characters or stories. Just moving things forward.

Not a reboot in any way, shape or form, actually. All the stories you read here before still happened.

We'll get into new-title specifics & teams before long. If you like the way things are, you'll be happy. Only moreso

@chris_ryall How will the IDW GI Joe continuity be reconciled with All Hail Megatron's global invasion that killed 15% of all humans?

It will be addressed. We're not scrapping things.

Please wait and see. It makes sense. And everything is always changing, just changing in the right ways here.

Not TAAO [renumbering]. We'll get into specific post-event plans before long. Never a good plan to reveal everything all at once.

I understand people don't want to lose what they like, I get that. But yes, the comic itself will put fears to rest.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:53 pm

Wow a recent piece of art without Windblade.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:57 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
I'm more confused than concerned. IDW-verse with lots of stuff in it yes, ok, but renumbering and all that jazz that's been said here confuses me.

Just have to wait to see what happens, maybe even the September solics which will come out in the next few weeks :MAXIMAL:
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 8

Postby Railbomb » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:28 pm

Motto: "A leader who stays dead is the best kind."
Weapon: Sword
Sooooooo... this may be the stupidest thing I've ever read. If it was going to be a parallel series running next to the main comics that would be fine. But it's not. What's going to happen to Till All Are One now? My biggest concern here is G.I. Joe. Haven't they been going on for just as long as the IDW Transformers has? Someone at Hasbro made a really bad decision.
Shhhhhhh... I was never here. You never got anything from me.
Railbomb
Vehicon
Alt Mode: Highly Modified Seeker Body
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 5
Firepower: 4

Postby Va'al » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:31 pm

Please, anyone confused, read the interview, read the posts, read the news, then come back.

I'm tired enough from social media blowing up about this to have to go through it again on here.

Please. :(
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Big Grim » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:54 pm

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
Well, this should be interesting. Looking forward to MASK and seeing how this all comes together!
Big Grim
Headmaster
News Credits: 148

Postby Rodimus Knight » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:57 pm

I would be Really Impressed if they manged to work in My Little Pony and Littlest Pet Shop. :-D
Rodimus Knight
Pretender
News Credits: 2

Postby MrBlack » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:01 pm

Weapon: Fusion Cannon
It seems like it's a big crossover to acknowledge the shared universe, and then all the stories can go off in their own directions. I'd imagine certain comics (Ex-RID, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K.) will be more closely tied together than others (MTMTE, Micronauts) once the crossover is done.

As for renumberings...mech. Both the current Transformers series are hitting the ends of major storylines with status quo changing events, so a relaunch with a new #1 makes sense from an industry standpoint. It sounds like it isn't going to have much of an effect on the main story of MTMTE, and it seems to flow organically into what's going on in Ex-RID.
MrBlack
Headmaster Jr
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Counterpunch » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:32 pm

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
I feel like this is one of those things, were if I truly express my feelings on the matter, the annoyance, the frustration, the disappointment; I'll get taken to task for being short-sighted.

Well, the burden of proof is on the writers going forward and it is a sizable burden.

Show how this isn't some hackneyed marketing idea from the folks at Hasbro or sacrifice most of the social capital that has accrued over the years with the recent quality work in TF books.

A lot has been made out of how Hasbro has wisely allowed their comic medium to plot its own course. We questioned when the first marketing decisions started creeping in with the introduction of current toy characters into plots that would otherwise exclude them. We've questioned the effect of Combiner Wars and now Titan Wars as being possibly intrusive into the story.

Now there's a bigger question. Can these series withstand corporate/marketing interference on a whole other level?

I'm sure there's a great staff line response to that.

I suppose I'll just wait for the material and make up my own mind. If I'm wrong, I'll happily admit it. If the fears come to pass, someone should really be held to the fire for spoiling something great.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby Bumblevivisector » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:48 pm

I couldn't quite make sense out of all this either, and should reread, but first, I gotta' say it again:

WHERE THE %*^# IS INHUMANOIDS?!?!?!?
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Strength: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Postby RevTibe » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Huh. I find it hard to have an unbiased view of this, since I've been getting a bit tired of expanded/interwoven universes for a while (for example, I was really into the Fantastic Four 2002 soft reboot until it got sucked into the Civil War event). I feel as though crossovers work best as a self-contained entity (a la the current GI Joe vs. Transformers) or as a brief, forgettable encounter (which raises the question; "Why bother?").

Still, sounds like this will mostly fall on the "forgettable" side of things, and who knows - I might fall in love with Rom the Space Knight.
RevTibe
Vehicon
Buy from RevTibe on eBay

Postby ScottyP » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:33 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
Counterpunch wrote:I feel like this is one of those things, were if I truly express my feelings on the matter, the annoyance, the frustration, the disappointment; I'll get taken to task for being short-sighted.
These were some of my gut feelings. Distilled into just one word, it was "dread", more specifically, it was really the fear of loss.

Counterpunch wrote:I suppose I'll just wait for the material and make up my own mind. If I'm wrong, I'll happily admit it. If the fears come to pass, someone should really be held to the fire for spoiling something great.
I think in a year's time we're going to mark down January 2012 - Sometime in the second half of 2016 as that One Perfect Summer for Transformers comics that just won't be recaptured anytime soon, and will never be duplicated. That said, I'm also going to try and keep an open mind here, and hope that the good stewardship of the brand that we've seen to date will continue. History isn't kind to Transformers in these types of situations though, so we'll have to see if this can buck the trend.

Onto some other things that are not replies to Counterpunch's excellent post. First, It'll be interesting to see how "Team MTMTE" gets shaken up (if at all), because exRID hasn't really been great for a year and Scott's stories just don't interest me. If they break up that band, there better be a damn good reason. Or hell, add Nick Roche to the team as a writer and sometimes artist and wait and see if I complain (I won't.)

A second point I wanted to bring up is my feelings towards bringing other brands in to a (currently) flourishing licensed comics property. I can't say I mind the stuff that's just really started up again like Micronauts, ROM, and even MASK being involved. A lot of circumstantial evidence in both the toyline, corporate press releases, and exRID have been pointing to that and these could be logical fits into this universe with only minimal backtracking from John "Continuity" Barber required. These could be neat if done right (stuff like Circuit Breaker or Death's Head in G1) and not as a one-off crossover brand circle jerk (Transformers vs The Avengers, most of Infestation).

Those franchises really don't bother me, not at all. I'm annoyed as hell that we have to bring GI Joe into this universe. It's like Hasbro dumped the rotting corpse of that franchise onto IDW.

I know that sounds harsh, but as someone that's never been able to admit to being much of a Joe fan, that's exactly what it looks like. I don't care about the characters, I don't care about the fiction, and I don't want them in what's been the "main" Transformers continuity for me for years. A lot of those characters are freaking attention magnets. Hope you're ready for four pages per twenty page book of Duke, Cobra Commander, Zartan, Baroness, Scarlet, Snake Eyes, and Roadblock and Destro and others if they're going to be any kind of fixture in this overall universe, because that's what you're gonna get. Gotta get Bumblebee back in to hang out with dumbshit GI Joe Paratrooper Steve or whoever other boring military guy character is even though he's super dead so we can have our A-Listers interacting and Protect the Brands :BANG_HEAD:

I don't blame IDW for that, it's just a shortsighted Hasbro mandate. If you're into GI Joe and excited for that, I think that's wonderful. That franchise just isn't for me and I think it would have been better left out to it's own pasture to survive or advance on its own.

Blegh, I got going on a rant and that probably mostly came out with a tone I didn't intend. Screw it, here's another way of putting it a bit shorter and wittier:

:MATTEL:
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 637
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:03 pm

Dr Va'al wrote:Please, anyone confused, read the interview, read the posts, read the news, then come back.

I'm tired enough from social media blowing up about this to have to go through it again on here.

Please. :(

Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Seibertron » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:46 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
I have a lot of thoughts about this, but first wanted to share this ground breaking image that I think sums up my thoughts best.

Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3552
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Ironhidensh » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:59 pm

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
Now that my excitement over that sweet ass piece of art has faded, I've processed some more.

I have to say, I feel pretty much the same as Counterpunch and ScottyP. They both typed out their thoughts much better than I could this late at night.

Unless it's a complete reboot of the GI Joe serirs, it will never fir in with the current Transformers storyline. I can see M.A.S.K. working, but I simply don't know enough about Rom or micronaugjts to say either way on them.

Basically, yeah, I'll wait and see, but this feels too much like corporate interference, and that never ends well.
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
News Credits: 25
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby Emerje » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:12 pm

Motto: "Spellcheck's antithesis."
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Why is Soundwave look the size of a combiner in that art? :shock: He's bigger than most of the buildings, and way, way bigger than Optimus. Talk about a visual perspective nightmare. Also who is that bot in the back on the right? He definitely has TF:Prime Soundwave's head. An enormous not-so-stealthy Stealth B.A.T. I suppose?

Emerje
Emerje
News Staff
News Credits: 228
Alt Mode: Lobster Moose
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 3
Skill: 6

Postby misfire19d » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Motto: ""If it wasn't for geewunners, you'd be at a Power Rangers convention haggling over a repainted megazord now.""
Weapon: Missile Launcher
IMO IDW, under orders from Hasbro, is trying to create a universe with Hasbro properties much like the Marvel Universe.

I won't stick around to see if the IDW writers can fit a bunch of small square pegs into a giant round hole. Larry Hama, Nick Roche and Simon Furmon are the only three worth a damn anyway.

ROM was a great comic. The ending was perfect. I don't have the heart or the patience to see how IDW will butcher him.

Sales will spike with the release of a bunch of #1's as always but will tank shortly after.

People freaking out about the "inevitable future" is just delicious irony to me.
misfire19d
Micromaster
Buy from misfire19d on eBay
Strength: 7
Endurance: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Supreme Convoy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:37 pm

I'm really digging what IDW is doing with their license books. As everyone has mentioned MTMTE is a solid title. But I will admit that I didn't realize GI Joe hasn't had a main title other than A Real American Hero.

This sounds like a boost GI Joe might need. I'm actually excited to see where this goes.
Supreme Convoy
Gestalt
News Credits: 34

Postby Insurgent » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:01 am

I don't give a flying monkey's backside about the other series. I only read Transformers, I'm only interested in continuing Transformers. I hope what he said is true and this makes no impact other than a mild reference to something offscreen or a random background cameo. I hope the tf series can continue as they are, with the same creative staff, and they are allowed to write the stories they are wanting to write instead of more shoehorning in orders from the higher ups. I can handle it with things like combiner/titan wars, where it's advertising transfmer stuff, but I hope this doesn't affect the titles.

I guess it's gonna be a case of wait and see. But this screams a suit is pulling a Marvel. Like everyone else is suddenly trying to do.
Beast Wars FOREVER!

Insurgent
City Commander

Postby RAR » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:09 am

Hasbro has been teasing this idea (despite that I can't seem to find a huge number who wants it very much - for all the brands at least) for months.

I would have some serious concern for any Conceptual Reboot of MASK or Micronauts if lead by Hasbro or IDW marketing concerns.

Gi Joe can do with any help it can get though. (darn if feel sorry for that Franchise sometimes). But I suspect the only reason it is getting attention is for the sake of completeness and Hasbro's desire to try to see another Gi Joe Movie made. or even a Gi Joe & Transformers Crossover Movie.

I would mind that as a cartoon - but live action isn't likely to work with the universes they have at the moment so well.

Oh and Yes ROM should fit in fine with Micronauts or Transformers and I'd welcome any excuse to see a possible Action Man toy line derived from the Go Joe Mould and themes and marketed to Europe possibly as Action Man and Action Force or something like that to put aside the Stigma of Gi Joe but still get some decent moulds out of it - but I don't really want a 5 POA 3.75" Action Man toy line.

I don't really want a Micronaut one either unless it's co-developed with Takara.

I suppose there might be licensing issues to sell Rom as a Marvel 3.75" figure ? considering he's an Ex Marvel Comic Character but a license owned By Hasbro.

-----

Oh and They have been better off finishing their current Transformers arcs and rebooting it if the whole purpose is to sell toys the IDW comics don't do that so well when they are not focused on them.

Or if they keep those other titles more or less they might be better off with a separate Prime Wars Comic. at least that can be used to market the actual toys and not something that only infrequently lines up with the comics.

From my Outsider perspective it seems like Combiner Wars as a toy story exists very much separately from the Comics in the same way Beast Hunters or Beast Wars existed as a TV show and toyline that have little to do with each other besides the odd shared character and were even outright contradictory.

That is why I always Laugh at EMGO when he says there should not be a newer toy of the likes of Dreadwing or Breakdown as they are dead.

Like he's not noticed that the Marketing and the Media don't line up.

Heck they probably shouldn't if IDW get this all horribly wrong - it will be brushed under the carpet soon enough I expect (as comic idea at least) and they might carry on trying to push it to people via other means.

Oh and just a point to IDW comments - yes I would be interested to see Hasbro Characters meet from time to time - that does not mean I want them co-habiting though... regardless of a Shared Universe or not.
RAR
Gestalt
News Credits: 11

Declassifying IDW and Hasbro's Comics Merge: Revolution - With John Barber, Cullen Bunn, Fico Ossio

Postby Va'al » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:38 am

We have yet more information on the upcoming Hasbro and IDW Publishing co-effort in creating a shared universe for several of their licensed properties, in the REVOLUTION event this September. Via ComicBookResources, we get an interview with writers John Barber and Cullen Bunn, and artist Fico Ossio, touching upon some of the major points of interest about the crossover. We also get a first look at some of the main and variant covers for the titles, with art by Tradd Moore, John Byrne, Adam Riches, Guido Guidi, Ken Christiansen, and James Biggie!

CBR spoke with the creators involved in the five-issue unifying series, not only to find out how it came about, but also to learn what -- if any -- relationship it has to the film side of things, as well as what it is that will bring these various groups together.

CBR News: John, you've been involved on the editorial side of things for these books for a while. How did you feel about bringing the universes together?

John Barber: I'd always thought if I could go back in time, I'd make sure the IDW G.I. Joe comics took place in the same universe as the Transformers comics.

[...]

How did the decision to combine the contents of those boxes come about?

Barber: One day, the IDW editors were brainstorming ideas, and this notion of doing a crossover came about -- but I'm never totally sold on big crossovers that don't impact the subsequent status quo. Like, it's fun to cross over two properties and see how they interact, but I mean, if you're getting a lot of characters together, it has to have some impact on the world. Meanwhile, I think what Tom Scioli -- and me, a little -- did on the "Transformers vs. G.I. Joe" comic was great, really fun stuff. But that story was ending; Tom and I had it all planned to wrap up.

Then I remembered something Andrew Griffith, who draws "Transformers," suggested one time: the IDW G.I. Joe comics could fit in between big Transformers comics events. At the time, it wasn't anything we were really serious about, but now -- I started thinking about that. Did that actually kind of make sense?

[...]

This effort seems to reflect a similar plan for Hasbro's big screen adaptations. Do you have any communication with the people working on the films?

Barber: Hasbro Studios is very aware of what we're doing, and there's some back and forth sharing of information and ideas. I don't think there's been any big thing where we've seen things one way and they've seen things other ways. We've been remarkably in sync, I think it's fair to say. There've been some characters that have specifically come from the studio here and there -- some of these brands have been dormant for a while, and there are new angles they have on characters that they've shared with us, like Phenolo-Phi in "Micronauts." They have some amazingly talented people working in that writer's room -- like, seriously extraordinary people who have done amazing film, comics and television. The few I know personally are great human beings, too.

The funny thing with this was, it wasn't like a mandate came down and said, "Do this." Totally the opposite. IDW Editor-in-Chief Chris Ryall and I flew out to Hasbro headquarters in Rhode Island to try to convince them to do this, because we really wanted to have this universe exist. And it turned out we were all on the same page. It was great, the people running the brands at Hasbro were all very into this and really supportive, and offered great ideas and angles on what we could do.

[...]

Fico, how is it for you bringing all these different characters who come from various backgrounds and realities together into one cohesive look?

Ossio: It sort of built up from my first take on G.I. Joe. David and John asked me to work on a cover/pinup of the characters and gave me license to give them an "upgrade."

I didn't want to really stray too far from the original cartoon, which I watched as a kid and loved. I had a bunch of G.I. Joe toy,s as well, so I wanted to just take those uniforms and give them more of a body armor look. Especially considering these guys were about to clash against 10-foot-tall robots. I could't grasp the concept of keeping them in regular army outfits or spandex -- sorry Snake Eyes. I think it works, because they still look true to their original design, but with a modern and updated look. Then, I took the new design of Action Man and applied the same as I did on G.I. Joe.

Next was Transformers. A lot of artists had worked on Transformers, and I found most of the designs Andrew Griffith had done were great. I respect his designs and pushed to make them more complex, with new, flexible parts and more of an organic look, which I thought would bring them closer to the combined universe. I also wanted to bring some of the elements from the movies. Except for Optimus. I couldn't help myself, and with him I pushed as far as the guys would let me.

[...]

As "Revolution" kicks off, what kind of threat or event is it that's big enough to bring all these different groups together? And what was the design process like developing that individual or force?

Story continues below

Barber: The background is, Optimus Prime has publicly declared Earth to be under his protection and part of Cybertron's Council of Worlds. This isn't Dark Optimus; he's doing good things -- at least from his point of view -- but the people of Earth are naturally going to be concerned about this turn of events.

Now, one of the reasons Earth has been important to the Transformers is this substance called Ore-13. This has a long history in the Transformers comics, but the short version is it can be converted to Energon, which is the Transformers' fuel source. That means the Earth is one of the few places in the galaxy where Transformers can live -- it has a food source, basically. But Ore-13 has always had other properties -- an ability to supercharge Cybertronians, for one.

Something starts happening to Ore-13 around the world, making it unstable, and all signs point to Optimus Prime, who has no idea why this is happening. That sets the stage for "Revolution."

[...]

How will your own ongoings look different after the events of "Revolution?"

Barber: Lots of the Transformers comic I write will be different, including the title. But at the same time, it's building the same story I started writing five years ago. You don't need to know all that stuff, but if you do, rest assured this is all part of the big story we've been telling. It's an unexpected benefit -- I mean, 2011 John had no inkling that Rom or Scarlett or Acroyear or Windblade or Action Man would be there, but this all fits into the tale Andrew Griffith and I set out to tell.

But coming out of "Revolution," there are some big changes. Lots of stuff is going to happen between now and November, when "Revolution" ends.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Stuartmaximus » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:46 am

Motto: ""i hate to love....& love to hate!""
BTW anyone know if that Optimus Prime figure can transform?
coz I couldn't see anything in the article as to whether it could or not
Stuartmaximus
Banned
News Credits: 19

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE YEARBOOK #4 Marvel Comics 1988 (CA) Trimpe (W) Hama 220721B"
NEW!
GI JOE YEARBOOK #4 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 4th ptg Image Comics 2023 1023IM893 (CA) Torque (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 4th ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #1 6th ptg Image Comics 2023 1023IM995 (CA) Burnett (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #1 6th ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 2nd ptg Cvr C Image Comics 2024 GI JOE 1123IM898 (CA) Reilly"
NEW!
DUKE #1 2nd ptg Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #284 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 APR210635 284RI Hollins"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #276 Cvr B IDW Comics 2020 276B (CA) Shearer 230607B"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ptg Cvr B Death Image Comics 2023 1123IM809 (CA) Howard"
VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE CASTLE FALL #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 One-Shot SEP200471 1A (CA) Evenhuis"
GI JOE CASTLE FALL ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 0124IM329 7D (CA) Allen (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #302 2nd ptg Image Comics 2024 1123IM895 (CA) Earls"
NEW!
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #1 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 1D 1123IM200 (CA) Epting"
COBRA COMMANDER #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS vs GI JOE #1 SDCC Cvr B IDW Comics 2014 01SDCCB (CA) Scioli 220712"
TRANSFORMERS vs GI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 0923IM464 6A (CA) De Felici (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 MAY230290 2A (CA) De Felici (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #345 - The Roast
Twincast / Podcast #345:
"The Roast"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 9th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Roadburn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Protectobot Hot Spot Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Seaspray" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Terri-Bull" on AMAZON