This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: Transformers 'Ongoing' #2 Five-Page Preview

Postby SJ21 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:54 am

Motto: "You don't know because you can't see me. Then you are dead."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
So much hatred here for the new art.

I like it. It is something different, yet all the the characters are easily identifiable as their G1 selves. OP looks great, Omega Supreme looks more bad a@# then ever before, and as much as as everyone seems to hate him, Hot Rod looks good.

Just my opinion.
Check out my collection!

the-sj21-collection-t96905.php
SJ21
Godmaster
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Postby Darclipto » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:06 am

Prime looks bad ass and so does Hot Rod. I hope Hot Rod is in TF3.... yeah so I like Hot Rod you got something to say about it?? Get it? HOT ROD?
Darclipto
Mini-Con

Postby Random » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:38 am

Ok...I have a thought on the art. Why does Bumblebee have his normal face at the end of AHM, and it changed so much in the five years that has passed to Ongoing? It also seems weird that they place "normal" Bumblebee on the cover. Did they explain this storywise, or is it just a change of artist?

Ok, here's what I was thinking as to why they all look the same: could it be, that they have all removed the outer face covering? I imagine that how they portray Bumblebee in the comic, is possibly what his face would look like under a mask. Just throwing that out there.

I'm ok with the art. The only time an art style ticks me off, is when it makes the comic unreadable. If you cannot follow what's going on from frame to frame because the artist cannot portray it with some polish, then it's rubbish.
Random
Vehicon
News Credits: 2

Postby RiddlerJ » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:15 am

Mechastrike wrote:is that Spike or Daniel with a girl?

You mean the half naked one?

No, they're not trying to emulate Michael Bay.
RiddlerJ
Godmaster

Postby dragons » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:13 am

i like this series so far i like how the other bots jetfirs looks like vector prime almost in some parts ill wait for tpb

omega surpreme looks very omega looking
dragons
Gestalt
News Credits: 21

Postby Seibertron » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:38 am

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Convotron wrote:
Aeros wrote:Do you have any kind of degree in any form of art?

A degree can help inform an opinion. A background in art, either as an artist or education in art, can also help. However, appreciation, which includes critical analysis, of art doesn't require formal education or a stamp of approval such as a degree.

I agree that "bad artwork" was not the best choice of words. The faces are extremely distracting, they're extremely plain, and the Autobots look like they're evil now. It's pretty radical departure from anything that's been done before ... and with no reason other than an artist wanting to express his own artistic impression on an established brand.

I also don't like that their bodies keep getting changed story after story between artists. I'm up for an artists interpretation, but I don't like that their bodies keep changing for no reason.

No one here needs a degree in order to be able to express their opinion about a certain art style. I'm allowed to express mine and you're allowed to express yours. And while you might not like my art style from ten years ago, I think my ability to draw certainly allows me to be able to express my opinion ... though for those of you who can't draw, you are most definitely entitled to your opinions as well.

I am in no way comparing my artwork from 13 years ago to the work that these artists today do. I'm just stating that I certainly have my own opinions based on my own ability to draw.

DragStrip00001.JPG

bw_artwork_cover.jpg

Spike00002.JPG

bw_artwork_waspinator.jpg
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby Ravage Eject » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:00 pm

Well first let me state again that I actually like the artwork in this series, it is what the movie designs "should" have been. I DO agree that the half naked girl was a desperate attempt to emulate Michael bay's "more boobs = more enjoyable" attitude.It was not needed in the story.
As an artist myself, and more sepcifically a high school art teacher, I can empathize with an artist wanting to put his own ideas and flavor into something he/she loves. I often feel that I am so busy trying to work within the established guidelines of MY field that I lose a little of my own personal identity as an artist. That's not to say that teaching art and illustrating Transformers comics is the same thing, but hey...Don might just want to get a little more creative for a while.
Now for some, this is a less than successful venture in that regard, hey it happens. Not every new idea is a moneymaker right? That doesn't mean he is wrong to try something new just because it is an "established brand." Transformers doesn't just belong to the G1 fans. It belongs to any and all who love the concept. Trust me, I hate Cybertron, Aramada, Kiss players etc etc....lol I liked Beast Wars, G1 and Transformers Animated where others do not. I have said it on here before, but I believe there is, and always will be, room for different interpretations of designs and characters within this universe, even if I personally do not care for every one. 8)
Ravage Eject
Mini-Con

Postby Seibertron » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:16 pm

Ravage Eject wrote:Now for some, this is a less than successful venture in that regard, hey it happens. Not every new idea is a moneymaker right? That doesn't mean he is wrong to try something new just because it is an "established brand." Transformers doesn't just belong to the G1 fans. It belongs to any and all who love the concept. Trust me, I hate Cybertron, Aramada, Kiss players etc etc....lol I liked Beast Wars, G1 and Transformers Animated where others do not. I have said it on here before, but I believe there is, and always will be, room for different interpretations of designs and characters within this universe, even if I personally do not care for every one. 8)

I completely agree with this statement. One of the greatest assets to the Transformers brand is that there IS something for everyone.

I rarely express my negative opinion about things related to Transformers. It's been a while ... I'm using the platform that I have invested ten years of my life into to express my opinion, which I rarely do.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Mkall » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:28 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
Seibertron wrote:I agree that "bad artwork" was not the best choice of words. The faces are extremely distracting, they're extremely plain, and the Autobots look like they're evil now. It's pretty radical departure from anything that's been done before ... and with no reason other than an artist wanting to express his own artistic impression on an established brand.

Maybe you've been following this more closely than I have Seibs, but I thought I read somewhere that Hasbro approached IDW and "asked politely" to have the next series take a more movie-verse feel?

Discord: Mkall#0376

My Collection! Updated Oct 21, 2022
Mkall
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 402
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 6

Postby Seibertron » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:41 pm

Mkall wrote:
Seibertron wrote:I agree that "bad artwork" was not the best choice of words. The faces are extremely distracting, they're extremely plain, and the Autobots look like they're evil now. It's pretty radical departure from anything that's been done before ... and with no reason other than an artist wanting to express his own artistic impression on an established brand.

Maybe you've been following this more closely than I have Seibs, but I thought I read somewhere that Hasbro approached IDW and "asked politely" to have the next series take a more movie-verse feel?

That wasn't the version of the story that I had heard. I'm pretty sure that it was stated on Ryall's blog back in September about this art style being Don driven but I can't find the actual quote right now that I'm remembering.

http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2009/09/t ... ssion.html
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Mechabreaker » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:47 pm

Motto: "The only good Decepticon is a deactivated Decepticon."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Mechabreaker wrote:I don't like how they are putting the names of the autobots near the characters in the comic issue. It was fine in issue one, but I know who Optimus Prime is, I don't think I would have forgotten what the characters look like just after one issue.

This a very oriental way of respecting and introducing key characters (specifically the "good guys") within a story that takes place in a more far-removed setting from previous stories. We see it in Asian cinema all the time, and it has even been homaged in the all-CG 'TMNT' film.

Anyway, I love that Furman wrote Hot Rod a tad more serious due to the war and his choices, and now I am loving this story so far. Great work by both the writer and the artist in my opinion, though I suppose many already knew where I stood on this series.[/quote]

Well I didn't know this, and now I do... AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!... Sorry, I couldn't resist. Still, It is a bit off-putting for me, and it will still take some getting used to, but I think it will be alright, at least the story is interesting, I will definitely be picking issue 2 up when it hits comic shops on December 9th.

Counterpunch wrote:I'll go into the street and slap someone's momma for a Leader-1 repaint.

http://taztitan85.deviantart.com/<---My deviantart account (It's mostly poetry that I write, but I will throw in a drawing or two every now and then)
Mechabreaker
Vehicon
News Credits: 1
Alt Mode: Pickup Truck
Strength: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Solrac333 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:50 pm

LOVE the art!
Bah weep granah weep nini bon!
Solrac333
Gestalt
Watch Solrac333 on YouTube
Buy from Solrac333 on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+

Postby kirbenvost » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:29 pm

Motto: "Deal with it."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
I'm not going to quote or reference other posts, but this is my opinion on the new direction: I don't like it. Not only because of the art style, which I could maybe get used to if the faces actually had distinguishing features. Also because in the story they seem to be taking characters in completely different directions, all the while claiming it's supposed to be the same continuity. I have to wonder why on earth they decided to do such drastic changes with the beginning of an ongoing series, rather than one of their many opportunities to do a miniseries.

It's not just blind devotion to G1. If they announced from the outset they were going to do something different, then it would be different. But this is supposed to be a continuation of a world they've already established, which is clearly based on and strongly resembles the traditional G1 characters, in both appearance and mannerisms.

I'm just going to wait this out, since I only buy the trades anyway. If neither the art nor story improve, I might just pass on this whole thing.

Side note, does that Brawn resemble the upcoming NEST Global Alliance toy?
------------------------------
Old collection pics
------------------------------
For Sale/Trade
kirbenvost
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 11
Buy from kirbenvost on eBay
Strength: 6
Speed: 10+
Firepower: 9

Postby SoooTrypticon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:55 pm

Motto: "If it can't transform into a dinosaur, burn it with lasers."
Weapon: Laser Cannon
Seibertron,

As someone who has absolutely hated everything having to do with the movie, including the sweet sweet Bludgeon figure because it has stupid movie feet and a "too many pieces" skull face- do not edit yourself.

The art is bad. The inking is bad. The faces are all the same and poorly designed.

The terrible movie aesthetic has invaded almost every aspect of the TF Universe, ruining figures like Universe Galvatron and messing up otherwise cool comics like this.

You run this site, and are more than entitled to your opinion. This site is your opinion. You made it because there are specific aspects of Transformers that you enjoy. When something comes along that doesn't sit well with you, tell it like it is.
I'm not angry... I just hate most things.
SoooTrypticon
Fuzor
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 8

Postby MYoung23 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:00 pm

Neck down is good. Neck up is bad. ;)^

Grimlock no like pointy chins.
MYoung23
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3

Postby rpetras » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:14 pm

Motto: "Know your enemy, then crush them."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Seibertron wrote:
Mkall wrote:

That wasn't the version of the story that I had heard. I'm pretty sure that it was stated on Ryall's blog back in September about this art style being Don driven but I can't find the actual quote right now that I'm remembering.

http://ryalltime.blogspot.com/2009/09/t ... ssion.html

It's not from Ryall, it's from the Andy Schmidt interview:

Now let me ask you THE question: based on discussions been held on the forums here at Seibertron.com, it seems that fans are thinking of this as a reboot purely based on the change in art style for the Transformers. I know you've read the responses and that some of us either love it, hate it or still can't decide. What influenced the change to the representation of our comic book heroes?

A.S.: I'm glad you asked THE question. I'll address a couple of things that I've seen on the boards and whatnot. First, there was no decision to make the G1 guys look more like movie universe characters. If I thought the movie books would out sell G1, I'd just make more movie books. Isn't that the simple solution if that were the case? And honestly, while I can appreciate the argument, I don't see the new character art as reflecting movie styling. They're all in their original color schemes and retain the key elements that make them identifiable; this is a new, updated style for this contemporary series. I think the art is amazing and I've been really happy to see that a lot of posts on the boards now that the issue has come out have shown that people are starting to dig it. Not everyone, mind you, but it looks like some of the jets are cooling a bit. We'll see. The thing to keep in mind is that Don is still figuring them out too. He's testing here and there.

Personally I'm starting to dig the artwork. It takes the classic look and updates it in a much more "realistic" aesthetic.

The "same face" thing is a little weird, but I guess they can tell each other apart. :P

And Seibs, it's your site, editorialize till your heart's content :-)
For Sale:
Classics Magnus/Skywarp 2 pack MIB
Classics Devastator MIP
HA Sideswipe K-Mart exclusive color Loose

Currently looking for:
ROTF Target exclusive Sideswipe from the 2-pack
TFCC Punch/Counterpunch
Alternity Primes, silver & white versions
(opened is OK, to be used for customs)

PM If interested
rpetras
City Commander
Strength: 9
Speed: 4
Courage: 7

Postby Convotron » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:28 pm

Motto: "When in doubt, transform and roll out!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
Seibertron wrote:
Convotron wrote:
Aeros wrote:Do you have any kind of degree in any form of art?

A degree can help inform an opinion. A background in art, either as an artist or education in art, can also help. However, appreciation, which includes critical analysis, of art doesn't require formal education or a stamp of approval such as a degree.

I agree that "bad artwork" was not the best choice of words. The faces are extremely distracting, they're extremely plain, and the Autobots look like they're evil now. It's pretty radical departure from anything that's been done before ... and with no reason other than an artist wanting to express his own artistic impression on an established brand.

I also don't like that their bodies keep getting changed story after story between artists. I'm up for an artists interpretation, but I don't like that their bodies keep changing for no reason.

No one here needs a degree in order to be able to express their opinion about a certain art style. I'm allowed to express mine and you're allowed to express yours. And while you might not like my art style from ten years ago, I think my ability to draw certainly allows me to be able to express my opinion ... though for those of you who can't draw, you are most definitely entitled to your opinions as well.

I am in no way comparing my artwork from 13 years ago to the work that these artists today do. I'm just stating that I certainly have my own opinions based on my own ability to draw.

I totally agree.

Yes, perhaps the initial wording used on the frontpage of the site wasn't the best but the actual point of discussion put forth by yourself and others is not lacking at all. Simple and unconditional acceptance OR disregard of something does nothing to advance intelligent discourse.

One doesn't have to be an artist to form an intelligently informed opinion and criticize artwork.

I spent some time trying to word my response to Aeros' post as I didn't want to come off in an aggressive manner but one of the things that really grates on me is the assertion that one needs some sort of qualification to criticize artwork. Not that anyone has written this here but I also really dislike seeing people write/say "Why don't you draw it your way if you think you can do better?", which totally avoids addressing criticism and directs effort into questioning someone's ability to criticize rather than debating the points of criticism.

One of the things I enjoy most about artwork is the sharing of the work and I'm not alone in this. Go to any online community populated by artists(professionals and hobbyists)such as conceptart.org and you'll see that most artists want to have their work be accessible by everyone. The same experience can be found at any good art school. Artists and art students want to be able to include all manner of people in the experience of art.

Then I see and hear statements by people, artists and otherwise, who propagate the idea that art must be above the average person, that it somehow requires something more than functioning senses and a brain to appreciate. Viewing art as something esoteric or only accessible by the particularly knowledgeable contradicts the desire of all creative effort, which is communication on some level. Now I'm not saying art or any creative effort should be didactic, literal, and simplistic, but neither should it be only within the grasp of a select few who are somehow more qualified to fully appreciate it.

The fact that Ryan/Seibertron and others have put effort into intelligently expressing their views on Don's artwork, either for or against it, is great to see and shows true passion for the Transformers franchise. Clearly, one doesn't need qualifications to say whether or not they like something and why.

One of the things I appreciate about Seibertron.com is that it often stands apart from the more common attitudes of fandom where volume and furor rule and rational thought takes a back seat. Had the tagline of "bad art" remained and a hyperbole laden post backed it up, then yes, it would have been in bad taste. However, this is not the case. I commend the decision to state up front on the web site that there is criticism of an aspect of the art direction of the current ongoing Transformers comic book and then have it supported by well thought out postings.
Toys for sale, S.H. Figuarts, Revoltech, Robot Damashii, Figma, and more!

Discounts for purchases of 3 items or more! See sales thread for details.

Never forget the Oath Sworn Through Courage!
Convotron
City Commander
News Credits: 2
Strength: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 9

Postby Counterpunch » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:42 pm

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
I like to think I’m pretty in-tune with the beat of the fandom, that I follow the taste of trends fairly well.

That being said, at this point in the Hasbro/Media/Artistic-direction issue I either:

A. Am completely out of touch, or;
B. Am part of a large group of people who are no longer being listened to/addressed

I’d prefer to think that it’s issue ‘A’. I’d prefer to be out of touch with what’s what and what’s cool. If the media-marketing of Transformers is being evolved and the input goes only one way, down, dictated by the top; then I’m kind of going to lose my incentive to care.

The comics are G1.

They are the last story-telling venue for G1.

G1 has 25 years of history driving it. It is defined, iconic, and to a large extent unexplored. It does not need to be bastardized with the current trend towards the movie concept universe.

Dress up what’s going on anyway you want. Tell me that I’m a geewuner now and that I should know change is good. Go ahead with whatever rationalization you like. I’ll just put my wallet away. I know and you know it’s the only thing that actually gets listened to anymore.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Strength: 6
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby Serpent O - R » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:39 pm

Wow a real debate that hasn't de-evolved into a flame fest.

I'm in...

First things first. Seibs, i love the site and i remember the success of 'Megatron 101' from back in the day. But, this is a news/information site and, as such, it should not be biased one way or the other. If you want to express your personal opinions in an editorial, you need to present the opposing view as well as the reasons behind behind both views.

Otherwise you get pigeon-holed as a G1 purist site and risk alienating the young'uns who know little of what existed before the movies. In their eyes, you risk becoming the TF equivalent of FOX News Channel.

On the flip side, we [as in all of us who threw a hissy fit at the movie designs or the name 'Sam'] have imaginary stock in this franchise. If it wasn't for our dedication to the toys and cartoons during the rough and tumble 90's, there wouldn't be a Transformers movie-verse for Hasbro/Bay/IDW to profit from today. [I left Takara out purposely as I am focusing on the Western Markets.]

Unfortunately, G1er's ARE NOT the target audience of the Transformers line anymore. We get thrown a bone every once in a while; Encore/Reissues, Masterpiece and a handful of comic book series'. But, for the most part, it's all about hooking the young'uns with looks and material that they can relate too... Remember how much RID imitated the Poke'mon animation style? What about the Unicron Trilogy's attempt to 'Catch'em all' with the Minicon gimmick?

The truth hurts and the truth in this case is simple. Ongoing is designed to market G1 and G1 paraphernalia to the next generation of fans to make another buck since the primary buyers of G1 stuff have already 'Caught Them All'.
SlyTF1 wrote:I dont understand why the hell anyone would see a movie for the story, if you want a story, go read a f*ckin book.
Serpent O - R
Fuzor
News Credits: 3

Postby Chaoslock » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:09 pm

Weapon: Reciprocating Laser Cannon
The Omega Supreme on the cover looks familiar to Cybertron Menasor... Doesn't look like G1 Omega, but looks interesting.

The half-naked girl is cliché, but OK, but the little doggy is too much. Anybody else thinks it is Red Alert on the same page?

Cliffjumper really needs some stress-reliever, his emotions change too quickly. From "This has to be a test!" to "We'll need to elect a new leader!" in a few seconds?

Hot Rod looks too Wolverine-like with his claws, aren't those supposed to be exhaust pipes/blasters?

Jetfire looks cool, but anything but G1 Jetfire.

All in all, this artwork would fare good as a new Evolutions series, but as they want this to be the continuation of the awesome -ation series, the face-artwork is worth Ratbat-guano.
GENERATION 1: THE EPIC ORIGINS! -Hasbro

"Autobots, Buster Witwicky killed Primus. Kill on sight!" - broadcast from Urban Dead

Psychout wrote:Never, ever take the internet seriously, especially not when its on a website dedicated to giant cartoon robots from outer space.
Chaoslock
Faction Commander
News Credits: 7
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Postby Seibertron » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Serpent O - R wrote:First things first. Seibs, i love the site and i remember the success of 'Megatron 101' from back in the day. But, this is a news/information site and, as such, it should not be biased one way or the other. If you want to express your personal opinions in an editorial, you need to present the opposing view as well as the reasons behind behind both views.

I do? Some of you might want me to do that, but I feel no need to do that on this site. At least the site is doing something to stand out from the crowd, whether you like this presentation style or not.

Look, I don't like the art style. Plain and simple. I feel like there's enough fans out there who feel the same way so that I can express this view as I see fit on the homepage of my site. If I felt that I was the only one with this opinion, I wouldn't be featuring this on the homepage of the site.

I think I should be able to express my opinion from time-to-time. I don't do it often so when I do, it's because I feel it's a battle worth fighting for.

I don't like seeing a movie styled artwork applied to the G1 comic. Yes, it is a G1 comic. I'm tired of "G1" used like it's a bad word some times. It's G1, I'm a G1 fan, I love G1 references. This doesn't mean that I don't like other styles, concepts, ideas, etc applied to the Transformers hobby. My favorite cartoon series story-wise is Beast Wars hands-down. I really enjoyed Transformers Animated because it was a fun series. RID was pretty darn cool in my book as well.

I've said it before that I would be just as passionate and up-in-arms if the Transformers Animated art style had been applied to the G1 ongoing series. I don't feel that it's appropriate.

Bottom line, I feel that they should keep the movie style in the movie books. Give Don a movie mini-series if he wants to draw that style and express his creativity.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Seibertron » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:30 pm

Everyone's Got The Same Face

No emotion - Don Figueroa's rebellious art style which showcases unemotional TFs continues to grace (disgrace?) IDW's "all-new" ongoing Transformers series. Love it or hate it, the ink is hitting the paper and this is what we're getting. Check out the preview of the next issue of this controversial art style by clicking here.

Since some of you make it sound like there's some horrible statement on the homepage, I wanted to review what is actually there. I agree with the first poster that confronted me about the use of the title "Bad Artwork: Part 2". I think that might have been up for ten or twenty minutes before I changed it to a more factual statement: "Everyone's got the same face", because, well, everyone's got the same face. There's nothing unique about any of the Autobot faces except for Prime's face. I also stated on the homepage blurb that the faces are unemotional ... because they are. In none of the faces do you see a smile, a grin, a frown ... there is no emotion. The faces are all plain, unemotional, very cold and "robotic" (as in an uncaring machine, not a sentient robot) ... these are not generally traits that apply to the Transformers.

You stated that I should offer both sides of the story. In the homepage text it says "grace (disgrace?)" which leads to both viewpoints, I use the phrase "love it or hate it" and referred to the art style as "controversial" because it is (as you can see from our posts). I also called it "rebellious" because it is also that since Don wanted to depart from the traditional style, hence calling it "rebellious" because he's "rebelling".

I really refrained from making outrageous statements, or even stating what my views were about the facial artwork other than making two statements that I feel no one can really argue against: their faces are all the same and they look unemotional. If anyone can successfully argue against either of those two statements, I would be open to suggestions about how the text should be worded.
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Aluus » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:37 pm

So... Am I the only one worried they're about to majorly piss a lot of people off by turning Hot Rod into Rodimus? They've been maturing him, now Prime has stepped down and the preview of issue two has him taking off like this, telling other bots they can follow his lead if they want?
Aluus
Fuzor

Postby Irv Gotti » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Seibertron wrote:

No emotion - Don Figueroa's rebellious art style which showcases unemotional TFs continues to grace (disgrace?) IDW's "all-new" ongoing Transformers series. Love it or hate it, the ink is hitting the paper and this is what we're getting. Check out the preview of the next issue of this controversial art style by clicking here.

Since some of you make it sound like there's some horrible statement on the homepage, I wanted to review what is actually there. I agree with the first poster that confronted me about the use of the title "Bad Artwork: Part 2". I think that might have been up for ten or twenty minutes before I changed it to a more factual statement: "Everyone's got the same face", because, well, everyone's got the same face. There's nothing unique about any of the Autobot faces except for Prime's face. I also stated on the homepage blurb that the faces are unemotional ... because they are. In none of the faces do you see a smile, a grin, a frown ... there is no emotion. The faces are all plain, unemotional, very cold and "robotic" (as in an uncaring machine, not a sentient robot) ... these are not generally traits that apply to the Transformers.

You stated that I should offer both sides of the story. In the homepage text it says "grace (disgrace?)" which leads to both viewpoints, I use the phrase "love it or hate it" and referred to the art style as "controversial" because it is (as you can see from our posts). I also called it "rebellious" because it is also that since Don wanted to depart from the traditional style, hence calling it "rebellious" because he's "rebelling".

I really refrained from making outrageous statements, or even stating what my views were about the facial artwork other than making two statements that I feel no one can really argue against: their faces are all the same and they look unemotional. If anyone can successfully argue against either of those two statements, I would be open to suggestions about how the text should be worded.

You're certainly entitled to YOUR opinion on YOUR site. The critics against your prior title choice were simply noting the overgeneralized feel of your site's headline (Good journalism is supposed to be impartial just as Good editorials are supposed to convey a well thought out opinion) which to them came off as more of an attack/ rant rather than constructive critique.

Well, here's my two cents...

Bad artwork, this is NOT. The Same Faces? Does this imply that G1 didn't have them? The G1 faces were Largely the exact face but with different helmets, save for a very scant few. Where Don's faces go wrong here is that there are no distinguishing features between one face or another, again just like G1, save the helmets. Don should take a cue from the IDW TF Continuum cover and the TF movis and use the facial plating to make each face very unique to it's respective 'bot, something the TF movies do very well. The mustache affect is caused largely by this flaw and the darker coloring on the lower sides of each 'bots face only serve to accent the flaw more. Other than that, the TF's look incredible, although a closer G1 resemblance in body structure on Jetfire would serve to make him appear a bit more recognizable as well as sleeker.

Now the story...

In my opinion, the story seems to be going in a great direction and a very character driven one at that. :APPLAUSE: While some fans may not be comfortable with the "Wolverod" persona, I think it's great that we are Finally seeing the writing touch on the "Hot head" part of 'Rod's persona despite it having been written in his bio for the past 20 + years. (Wolverine being the archetypal "hot head").

All in all, I do believe this series is going to turn out very enjoyable. I can't wait for issue 2! ;)^ ;)^
Irv Gotti
Mini-Con

Postby hinomars19 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:25 pm

Motto: "never forget what you don't know"
Weapon: Blunt Force Battle Clubs
Seibertron wrote:

Mate, don't change it. objectivity and honesty is something that is needed a lot more of these days, especially in these kind of markets. End of the day, you are a fan first, owner of this site second-if I posted my opinion on something i love somewhere I wouldn't expect to ever have to change it, in words or meaning. Your expressing your opinion, not telling everyone to accept it. If your 'name being in lights', so to speak (b'cos your the head honcho here) makes new visitors, or those unfamiliar with the brand think they should be warped by your words (as some have suggested here) then they simply need to stop being sheep. For gods sakes, your not our father.

Personally, i do agree with you, but anyone who says this post is therfore biased can spin on it.

And you like R.I.D?? so do I, i seriously thought I was stranded on that desert island!!

As an artist, I can sympathise that don wants to try something different-but just on a personal note, a few years back I was 'forced' to do a dragonball 'doujinshi' by some folks, but I'm really glad it never left the pencil stages-I'm a good artist (there is some tf art here if you check the gallery)
[url]http://hinomars19.deviantart.com/[url]

but db style is not my strong point. It came out bad, b'cos despite that fact, there was no way I was gonna draw characters i loved in any way other than they were known to look. It's a difficult line to walk, I think. But I guess kudos to don for having the balls.

Oh, and no, you don't need a degree or talent to appreciate art, for those who seem to be talking nonsense. artists are not superior beings, I'm no different to the next average joe who wants to appreciate something in front of him, the fact I can draw it and he can't makes jack all difference. As an artist i may be able to appreciate the reasoning behind the change of art style, as mentioned above, slightly more than somone who isn't-but education and experience don't govern raw emotion. If someone's gut instict to a drawing is 'ooh, that's bad', then no crash course, or strecthed out study of the subject should (or can) change that.

and back to seibertron, stick to your guns, my friend :APPLAUSE:
hinomars19
Targetmaster
Strength: 5
Speed: 5
Courage: Infinity

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ENERGON #20 Dreamwave Comics DW 2004 (W) Furman (A/CA) Guidi"
Transformers ENERG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Dinobot GRIMLOCK Transformers Armada RID Dinobots complete + more 211023A"
Dinobot GRIMLOCK T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKILLZ PUNK Transformers BotBots Series 1 Techie Team 2018 Hasbro Game Cartridge"
SKILLZ PUNK Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OVERHAUL Transformers Cybertron Scout complete w/ Cyber Key s9d7 2005 231102A"
OVERHAUL Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RED ALERT Transformers Cybertron Burger King Fast Food Premium 2005 190518"
RED ALERT Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKYFIRE Transformers RID Robots In Disguise Deluxe Basic complete 2001 230821A"
SKYFIRE Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MINI-CON SKYBOOM Transformers Attacktix Energon complete Hasbro 2006 230427C"
MINI-CON SKYBOOM T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STARSCREAM Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Fast Food 2002 230719A"
STARSCREAM Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKYBLAST JET MODE Transformers Attacktix Energon complete Hasbro 2006 190411"
SKYBLAST JET MODE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LAND MILITARY MINI-CON TEAM Transformers Armada complete Hasbro 2002 231209A"
LAND MILITARY MINI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete 2005 220813A"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Fast Food 2002 230719A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CAPTAIN CARTRIDGE Transformers BotBots Con Crew Line League handheld game 2019"
CAPTAIN CARTRIDGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete 2005 220813A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Trypticon Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Autobot Hound" on AMAZON