This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Film critic Roger Ebert dead at 70

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Film critic Roger Ebert dead at 70

Postby Seibertron » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
One of Chicago's very own, famed film critic Roger Ebert, succumbed to his long standing battle with cancer earlier today two days after publicly announcing that he was taking a "leave of presence".

Chicago Sun Times wrote:Ebert, 70, who reviewed movies for the Chicago Sun-Times for 46 years and on TV for 31 years, and who was without question the nation’s most prominent and influential film critic, died Thursday in Chicago. He had been in poor health over the past decade, battling cancers of the thyroid and salivary gland.

Thanks to Paramount, my wife and I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Ebert and his wife Chaz at the press premiere of Transformers Dark of the Moon, who sat directly in the seats behind us. It was quite an honor to meet a film critic whose name had become as big as some of the stars of the films he had reviewed.

To say the least, Roger Ebert wasn't the biggest fans of the Transformers films. However, Mr. Ebert mentioned Seibertron.com in a July 2009 article he had written defending his views about Transformers Revenge of the Fallen which you can view here.

Roger Ebert wrote:Now about those who sincerely believe "Transformers" is a good, even a great, film. I sincerely believe they are wrong. I don't consider them stupid--at least, not (most of) the ones who write to me. Some of the posters at certain popular web forums are nine blooms short of a bouquet. But on the other hand look at the spirited discussions on the movie forums of the all-Transformers-all-the time seibertron.com, where a Paramount exit poll showing "90% of those polled thought the second film was as good or better than the first one" has been received with ridicule. Significantly, those are moderated forums.

Roger Ebert's reviews of the live action Transformers films can be found by clicking on the links below (please note that at the time of this article, his website seems to be having difficulties loading):

Here's another fun article of his titled "On the origins of Transformers" which you can also find here on the Sun Times website.

I swear I've read a review he and/or Siskel wrote about the original animated Transformers film. If anyone has a link to that, I would like to update this news story with that review. I think I've only read it in a book and haven't seen it online before.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Ebert's wife and family. You can share your thoughts on our forums here on Seibertron.com.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3552
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: Film critic Roger Ebert dead at 70

Postby dragons » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:43 pm

sorry for his loss i enjoyed him & siskel on tv but i never agree with officla movie critics on there decision what is good and bad
dragons
Gestalt
News Credits: 21

Postby STngAR » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Weapon: No Weapon
My dad always watched At the Movies when I was a kid. I remember trying to guess who would give the thumbs up or down. Rest in peace Roger, I'm sure Gene will be happy to be together again.

:MAXIMAL:
Sledge wrote:Finally! Wheelie will get the credit he's due with a set of five Wheelies.

ScottyP wrote:Kid 1 "What did you get for Christmas?"
Kid 2 "Steve.........What did you get?"
Kid 1 "John Cena!"

"If you want to get rich, collect money, not toys"

COLLECTION
STngAR
Pretender
News Credits: 5
Watch STngAR on YouTube
Buy from STngAR on eBay
Alt Mode: The Litter Box
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: Infinity

Postby Autobot032 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:15 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
I watched him and Gene Siskel give their reviews for a good portion of my childhood. I knew that if I wanted to see new footage of a movie before it came out, watching their show was the way to do it.

Even if I didn't agree with their opinions on a lot of things, it was still entertaining to watch them.

To say that the world has lost a really talented voice, is an understatement. Love him or hate him, Ebert shaped the critic world as we know it. He broke ground, with Siskel, that possibly no one else will ever replicate.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this incredibly sad time.

That being said, I have to wonder... Did he know his end was coming? I just find it odd that he takes a leave of absence, mentions a re-occurrence of his Cancer, day before yesterday. We find out about yesterday via the news. ...and then today, he dies. I think he had to have known.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Postby Fanboy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:16 pm

never heard of the man but kike all good dead people may he rest in peace.
Fanboy

Postby CommanderHazar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:08 pm

It seemed that I could almost always count on his reviews to tell me whether I would enjoy a movie. If he didn't think it was good, it was a good bet I wouldn't enjoy it either.

I've yet to find a reviewer who's opinions so closely match my own. He will be missed.
CommanderHazar
Mini-Con

Postby Shockwave7 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:15 pm

I've no wish to speak ill of the dead. Though I'd feel more regret at his passing if he hadn't become such a frothing political moon-bat towards the end.

But maybe he'd simply spent so many years criticizing stuff that he got to the point where he couldn't feel good about anything anymore. If so, he can be forgiven. Here's hoping he can find peace from all that now.
Shockwave7
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3

Postby Capt.Failure » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:42 pm

I'm going to catch no small amount of hell for saying this but with the kind of man he became toward the end of his life I'm at best apathetic of today's news. This was someone who, when moviegoers decided not to follow his opinion on the Transformers films, chose the professional thing to do was create a blistering criticism of the series fans like a petulant child. He crossed the line from professional critic to troll and in that moment I lost my respect for him.

It's a sad thing when a person dies, however that does not protect them from anything in my eyes. He threw his right to call himself a professional out the window with that article.
Capt.Failure
Transmetal Warrior

Postby mooncake623 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:14 pm

Weapon: Concussion Rifle
I always feel like these critics are way too uptight and critical of every movie. I don't feel like they understand that a lot of movie are just for fun, its entertaining to watch and have to take it for what it is and not dig into it and rip it for all its flaws. that said I've watch the man for a big part of my childhood and I respect his opinions but it never lead me to decisions to not watch a movie but always convince me to watch something I would have never have thought about.
May he rest in peace.
Looking for:
Botcon Redux Spark (Pyro)
"Comfort is the death of creativity "
"My country is the world... and my religion is to do good"
mooncake623
City Commander
News Credits: 461
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 8
Endurance: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Postby Fanboy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:28 am

Guys shhhhh his ghost will haunt us all.
Fanboy

Postby Rated X » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:08 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Siskel and Ebert reunited again.
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Hoppercool » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Capt.Failure wrote:It's a sad thing when a person dies, however that does not protect them from anything in my eyes. He threw his right to call himself a professional out the window with that article.

Go play with your toys. Leave the discussion of art to those who know what they're talking about.
Hoppercool
Mini-Con

Postby Autobot032 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:12 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
Hoppercool wrote:
Capt.Failure wrote:It's a sad thing when a person dies, however that does not protect them from anything in my eyes. He threw his right to call himself a professional out the window with that article.

Go play with your toys. Leave the discussion of art to those who know what they're talking about.

Hopper, you're the one who needs to learn the art. Capt.Failure knows exactly what he's talking about and apparently you do not. After one of the movies (I believe it was ROTF), Ebert was attacked (verbally) by fans and instead of taking the professional high road, he resorted to blanket attacking all of our IQs and calling us neanderthals. It was unprofessional, simply put.

I have respect for the man, I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but he did cross a line there.

And watch your step with how you talk to your fellow posters, please. Please don't speak to others like that anymore.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Cyberverse Legion Class 2013 NEW"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "World's Smallest Transformers OPTIMUS PRIME 1.25" Micro Action Figure Authentic"
World's Smallest T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Bumblebee 40 ADHESIVE BANDAGES lot w/ 2 packs of 20 Aso Hasbro New"
Transformers Bumbl ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Cyberverse Tiny Turbo Changers Series 2 Hasbro 2019 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LASERBEAK Transformers Studio Series Core Class Pink Bumblebee Hasbro 2022 New"
LASERBEAK Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Fan Book 2021 with OPTIMUS PRIME + BUMBLEBEE Legion Figures Takara"
NEW!
Transformers Fan B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Fan Book 2020 with OPTIMUS PRIME + MEGATRON Legion Figures Takara"
NEW!
Transformers Fan B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE (Purple) Transformers Super7 Keshi Surprise Autobot Series Decoy"
BUMBLEBEE (Purple) ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SANTA OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Super7 Reaction Series 5 Holiday Christmas 2021"
SANTA OPTIMUS PRIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Robot Heroes OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Movie Series Revenge Fallen ROTF 211023A"
Robot Heroes OPTIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Studio Series Core Class Dark of the Moon DOTM 2023 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete 2005 230719A"
NEW!
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHATTER Transformers Bumblebee Movie Energon Igniters Power Plus Series 2018 New"
SHATTER Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Energon Volume 1 COMIC / PRODUCT CATALOG 2004 Optimus Prime Hasbro"
Transformers Energ ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #345 - The Roast
Twincast / Podcast #345:
"The Roast"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 9th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Nightbeat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Wreck-Gar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON