This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Hasbro Continues Layoffs in Rhode Island

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Hasbro Continues Layoffs in Rhode Island

Postby LOST Cybertronian » Mon May 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Motto: "I've looked into the eye of this island and what I saw was...beautiful"
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
Hasbro continues to lay off employees, according to an article which ran last week on Golocalprov.com. Hasbro was looking to expand in 2012 but instead they laid off 125 workers and so far this year 50 which started back in March. First quarter sales are up this year but probably not enough to offset the decline from 2012. With a new movie on the horizon hopefully the Transformers brand can increase revenue further in the coming years.

Several fan-favorite Hasbro employees who have been regular convention participants, such as Aaron Archer, are among the rumored list of employees laid off. We are looking for further confirmation on which employees from the Transformers brand were let go and will report on this information as it becomes publicly known. Seibertron.com wishes everyone the best of luck with their new endeavors during these challenging times.

Golocalprov.com wrote:Hasbro said that fourth-quarter 2012 profits dropped because of lower than anticipated demand in the U.S. and Canada and slow sales of games and puzzles during the holiday shopping season. In a February 2013 interview with Examiner.com, CEO Goldner said, “In 2012, we met many of the objectives we set for Hasbro. Based on preliminary results, we returned the U.S. and Canada segment to historical operating profit levels; we grew revenues in the Games category against our 2012 objective of stabilizing revenues; and we grew revenues in our Girls category. We also experienced double digit growth in our emerging markets business and achieved profitability in most major emerging markets a year ahead of our plan.

Golocalprov.com wrote:According to Hasbro’s report on growth for 1st quarter, 2013 released on April 22nd, 2013, net revenues increased 2% to $663.7 million for the first quarter of 2013 versus $648.9 million for the 1st quarter 2012. The US and Canada segment is up 4%. The international segment remained flat. The entertainment and licensing segment is up 5%. Much of this has been attributed to “cost saving initiatives.” The company is undertaking said initiatives to better align resources and costs while targeting $100 million in annual savings by 2015.

In spite of recent upticks in revenues, layoffs have continued; a sign that restructuring continues. However, according to URI Economics Professor, Leonard Lardaro, “… as a publicly traded company, they will often have to respond to things well beyond whatever deals they might have with the state of RI.
-Kanrabat- wrote:YEah, too many Transformers are in a serious need of a good rim job.

Blast Cannon wrote:This thread is brilliant. Duragrip you are a gloriously weird sexual deviant and I love it.
LOST Cybertronian
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1235
Buy from LOST Cybertronian on eBay

Re: Hasbro Continues Layoffs in Rhode Island

Postby Bumblevivisector » Mon May 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Ouch, apparently they do hurt whenever they have to go more than 2 years without a TF movie.

I wonder how this news ties into their pushing more stuff into discount stores?
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Postby Doubledealer93 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:21 pm

Motto: "A logical mind is a healthy mind."
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
yeah, people do love bumblebee that much honest! *sarcasm*

check out my collection thread, updated 2/25/13, and i kinda lost count, i have to count them again....
doubledealer93-s-collection-as-of-2-25-13-t84309.php
my tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/doubledealer93
My deviant art, loads more pics there--> http://doubledealer93.deviantart.com/
Doubledealer93
City Commander
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 5
Firepower: 1
Skill: ???

Postby DEMEXICONZ » Mon May 06, 2013 7:36 pm

Motto: "I AM... MEGATRON... YOU BITCH!!!"
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Bumblevivisector wrote:Ouch, apparently they do hurt whenever they have to go more than 2 years without a TF movie.

I wonder how this news ties into their pushing more stuff into discount stores?

Makes sence no wonder they keep making low quality toys at a more expensive price.... makes me wonder wtf is hasbro doing wrong? >:oP
DEMEXICONZ
Micromaster
Buy from DEMEXICONZ on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby Mkall » Mon May 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
I wonder what they'll say about this at Botcon?

Discord: Mkall#0376

My Collection! Updated Oct 21, 2022
Mkall
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 402
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Postby wewyllenium » Mon May 06, 2013 8:52 pm

The movies outsource most of their CG works to China and ILM Singapore. It's probably a business decisions that helps them save money because working things up in the West may not be cost efficient for them. Money talks, money kills. I just hope the quality of their output would not suffer.
wewyllenium
Fuzor
News Credits: 4
Watch wewyllenium on YouTube
Buy from wewyllenium on eBay

Postby Lord_Onslaught » Tue May 07, 2013 2:16 am

Weapon: Cannon
How is Archer is a fan favorite? I've been hoping he would get fired for years now. Maybe I'm just in the minority there, hopefully he is among those they laid off, get some fresh blood in there. And also whoever decided that Transformers should strictly be Bumblebee does deserve to lose their job.

I really hope this does not effect the release of Titan Metroplex. Hopefully he is too far into production, to be canceled. But then Hasbro did cancel HA Soundwave, as he was sitting in the backrooms of retailers.
Megatron BOWS! to me!
Lord_Onslaught
Mini-Con
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Courage: 10

Postby Blackstreak » Tue May 07, 2013 7:02 am

Motto: ""I'm stronger than I look, but not as strong as I think I am.""
Weapon: Laser Rifle
Doubledealer93 wrote:yeah, people do love bumblebee that much honest! *sarcasm*

I agree. Maybe if they started producing more characters instead of the same one if 50 versions they might get more profit. Profit they are still making but willing to lay people off to make that profit margin larger. I feel for those people who lost and are about to lose their job.

# of Transformers in collection: 332
Looking for 1985 Action Cards
Blackstreak
Godmaster
Watch Blackstreak on YouTube
Buy from Blackstreak on eBay
Alt Mode: Datsun 280 ZX or Dodge Viper
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby triKlops » Tue May 07, 2013 10:13 am

Motto: "New England TransFormers Collectors Group member"
This news hit all of us hard in RI as our local economy is already in the toilet as one of the worst in the nation.
Hopefully they stand by their previous promise of a hiring increase in 2013/14, as this is just another blow to an an already crippled local infrastructure.

Looking for:
- Fans Toys Scoria FT-04X silver upgrade feet for
MP-08X Grimlock
-TFCon 2011 Headrobots Toxin

Please DM if willing to sell for reasonable price.
triKlops
Godmaster
News Credits: 9

Postby Antron » Tue May 07, 2013 11:00 am

Motto: "Pray all you want, you still have to answer to me."
Weapon: Light Cannon
If they don't produce some actual unique toys/characters for these movies then they may need to hire some people to measure the dust that sits on their products as they sit on the shelves. Lets be honest, most of us collectors already have most of the movieverse figures we want. It saddens me that all of these toys are going for dirt cheap now and I already spent the money to get them when they were originally released.

If they don't make a ton of new characters or completely reformat the characters that exist then they will just be wasting a bunch more time and money. I personally couldn't be less excited for new movie toys. If I ever have to start whacking figures from my collection, movieverse will be the first to go.

So, here's to hoping. Fingers crossed. We'll just have to wait and see.
Antron
Minibot
Buy from Antron on eBay
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 9
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10+

Postby ScottyP » Wed May 08, 2013 9:30 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
Always sucks to hear about folks losing jobs. Hopefully this was mostly "cutting the fat" and doesn't affect the really creative folks.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 637
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Flux Convoy » Wed May 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Motto: "Chaos... is coming!..."
Really hoping they didn't cut Archer loose. He's a very creative guy who gave us some fantastic stuff over the years he's been heading the TF division. Even if you don't love what he comes up with, he was excited about what he was doing. Anyone that wants him gone is making an ignorant statement. The guy had to wear a lot of different hats. Transformers isn't one driving line like G1 was. It probably won't ever be again. You've got to respect a guy that can juggle all the different lines and be man enough to face our endless barrage of criticism and self entitlement every year at Botcon. I'm hoping he's still around and will be for a long time to come.
:BOT:
Flux Convoy
City Commander
News Credits: 20
Buy from Flux Convoy on eBay

Postby Lord_Onslaught » Wed May 08, 2013 5:09 pm

Flux Convoy wrote:Really hoping they didn't cut Archer loose. He's a very creative guy who gave us some fantastic stuff over the years he's been heading the TF division. Even if you don't love what he comes up with, he was excited about what he was doing. Anyone that wants him gone is making an ignorant statement. The guy had to wear a lot of different hats. Transformers isn't one driving line like G1 was. It probably won't ever be again. You've got to respect a guy that can juggle all the different lines and be man enough to face our endless barrage of criticism and self entitlement every year at Botcon. I'm hoping he's still around and will be for a long time to come.

And we all have the right to our opinion Flux, I respect those that think Archer should stay. But to me, he needs to go is hardly an ignorant statement. My reasons would start a flame war, this I know so I will not say what they are.

It has nothing to do with G1 being one driving line, and the constant reimagining of Transformers. Which is something I like as it helps to keep Transformers fresh.
Megatron BOWS! to me!
Lord_Onslaught
Mini-Con

Postby Flux Convoy » Wed May 08, 2013 5:37 pm

Lord_Onslaught wrote:And we all have the right to our opinion Flux, I respect those that think Archer should stay. But to me, he needs to go is hardly an ignorant statement. My reasons would start a flame war, this I know so I will not say what they are.

It has nothing to do with G1 being one driving line, and the constant reimagining of Transformers. Which is something I like as it helps to keep Transformers fresh.

You absolutely do a right to your opinion. Why would you even make such a statement if you won't elaborate though? Surely there's a reason you have such an opinion.
Flux Convoy
City Commander

Postby Lord_Onslaught » Thu May 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Flux Convoy wrote:You absolutely do a right to your opinion. Why would you even make such a statement if you won't elaborate though? Surely there's a reason you have such an opinion.

Like I said there are many, and if I started to name them, this place would erupt, simply because two of those reason come from meeting him after OTFCC 2004 and Botcon 2008. Also based off of his horrible designs, and ideas. Even for those of you who like him, I'm sure there is a want for fresh blood in the TF Department at Hasbro.
Megatron BOWS! to me!
Lord_Onslaught
Mini-Con

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Thu May 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Lord_Onslaught wrote:
Flux Convoy wrote:You absolutely do a right to your opinion. Why would you even make such a statement if you won't elaborate though? Surely there's a reason you have such an opinion.

Like I said there are many, and if I started to name them, this place would erupt, simply because two of those reason come from meeting him after OTFCC 2004 and Botcon 2008. Also based off of his horrible designs, and ideas. Even for those of you who like him, I'm sure there is a want for fresh blood in the TF Department at Hasbro.

Guys, it's official: "Orson" has left the building. Check Facebook. Or ask Sabrblade. :roll:
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Skill: 5

Postby Flux Convoy » Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Lord_Onslaught wrote:Like I said there are many, and if I started to name them, this place would erupt, simply because two of those reason come from meeting him after OTFCC 2004 and Botcon 2008. Also based off of his horrible designs, and ideas. Even for those of you who like him, I'm sure there is a want for fresh blood in the TF Department at Hasbro.

So it's personal then? Again, unless you elaborate, you aren't justifying an opinion. Saying his designs are horrible grants you no legitimate credit in this discussion. You realize he's been on the brand, designing for over a decade? Not everything is going to be a winner. Especially early days like Armada. Let me ask you, have you ever been laid off? It's pretty rough. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. There's nothing wrong with wanting fresh blood in the design team. Cutting off the head seems like the wrong way to go about it though. This would be the second time they've done so in as many years. Eric Seibenaler was the first talent (of that capacity) to be moved off the brand (to Star Wars). We are still seeing the difference in quality and design or feeling the loss. However you want to take it.

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:Guys, it's official: "Orson" has left the building. Check Facebook. Or ask Sabrblade. :roll:

Because Sabrblade is the end all, be all font of Transformers information? I have checked on Facebook. Why do I need to fact check with Sabrblade? I can find my own facts if need be. I don't understand why you're rolling your eyes at me here. I'm having a civil discussion. What's your beef with me? I didn't address you at all.
Flux Convoy
City Commander

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Thu May 09, 2013 3:12 pm

If you have Facebook, click this link. If it actually works. :oops:

Also, Joe Kyde and Andy Schmitt are among the casualties, while Eric Siebenaler and Bill Rawley are with Star Wars now. Saw the news while rival-site browsing.

Looking for:
- PotP Punch head
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers

Postby Flux Convoy » Thu May 09, 2013 3:20 pm

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:If you have Facebook, click this link. If it actually works. :oops:

Also, Joe Kyde and Andy Schmitt are among the casualties, while Eric Siebenaler and Bill Rawley are with Star Wars now.

I've seen it, like I said. I knew about Eric too. I was entirely unaware we'd lost Bill Rawley as well though. That upsets me. I really enjoyed seeing him year after year. I've got fun memories with him. Eric and Aaron too, just yeah. Bill was fun. Damn.
Flux Convoy
City Commander

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Thu May 09, 2013 3:29 pm

Flux Convoy wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:If you have Facebook, click this link. If it actually works. :oops:

Also, Joe Kyde and Andy Schmitt are among the casualties, while Eric Siebenaler and Bill Rawley are with Star Wars now.

I've seen it, like I said. I knew about Eric too. I was entirely unaware we'd lost Bill Rawley as well though. That upsets me. I really enjoyed seeing him year after year. I've got fun memories with him. Eric and Aaron too, just yeah. Bill was fun. Damn.

Hate to see big names go as much as the next guy, even if I never met them. All we can do is hope for the best, that their futures are bright, and Hasbro hires some worthy successors. And that they're well aware they have big shoes to fill. :P

Looking for:
- PotP Punch head
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCATTERSHOT Transformers Combiner Wars Voyager complete Betatron 2016 230903A"
SCATTERSHOT Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLURR + HYPERFIRE Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2016 230427A"
BLURR + HYPERFIRE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ANTAGONY Transformers Legacy Generations Selects Voyager 2023 New"
ANTAGONY Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MAGNIFICUS Transformers Legacy Deluxe Generations Selects Hasbro 2023 New"
MAGNIFICUS Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOT ROD + FIREDRIVE Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete 2016 230427A"
HOT ROD + FIREDRIV ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TWINFERNO +  DABURU Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete 2016 231208I"
NEW!
TWINFERNO + DABUR ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OBSIDIAN Transformers Universe Basic Ultra complete Hasbro 2003 230830A"
OBSIDIAN Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-GS23 DEEP COVER Transformers Generations Selects Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-GS23 DEEP COVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Trypticon RAMP (LEFT HIP) Transformers Titans Return part accs 2017 230817D"
NEW!
Trypticon RAMP (LE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VECTOR PRIME METALHAWK Transformers Power Primes Prime Master POTP 2017 New"
VECTOR PRIME METAL ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "PROWL Transformers Universe Spy Changer complete Hasbro 2005 230821A"
PROWL Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Classics Deluxe complete Hasbro 2006 230809A"
NEW!
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "QUAKE + CHASM Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2017 231208H"
NEW!
QUAKE + CHASM Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ASTROTRAIN + DARKMOON Transformers Titans Return Voyager complete 2016 231208M"
NEW!
ASTROTRAIN + DARKM ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Silverbolt Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warriors Class Sideswipe Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Sergeant Kup and Flintlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Apeface" on AMAZON