This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise #21 Preview

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise #21 Preview

Postby Va'al » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:58 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
The next preview from our IDW friends is the final prelude to the giant crossover event that will cover the shelves for the following six months - Dark Cybertron. Take a look at the preview for RID #21 below!

Transformers: Robots in Disguise #21
John Barber (w) • Andrew Griffith and Livio Ramondelli (a) • Griffith, Casey Coller (c)
SHOCKPOINT! In the wastelands of CYBERTRON, SHOCKWAVE makes his move—and SOUNDWAVE and the DECEPTICONS step up to stop him! While the battle of the century rocks the ancient ruins of the Crystal City, dig back into the history of these titanic rivals!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
DARK CYBERTRON begins here!
SHOCKWAVE’S master plan is set in motion—and no one is safe!
Livio Ramondelli variant cover interlocking with issue 20 and 22!

Last edited by Va'al on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise #21 Preview

Postby TulioDude » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Motto: "Never doubt the awesomess."
Weapon: Energo-Sword
Man this looks great!
Silverwing wrote:Also, I feel compelled to give the obligatory: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay:
One for each year of the Movieverse's decade strong tenure. Here's to a few more explosive years!

Here is my DeviantArt page and my Tumblr blog.
TulioDude
Gestalt
News Credits: 6
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby Va'al » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:46 am

It was a very good read, even if it uses the same technique of the past couple of issues. But it sheds a lot of light on Soundwave, has some excellent artwork and has magnificent Barber continuity games.

Look out for the review on Tuesday!
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise #21 Review

Postby Va'al » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:27 am

Operation: Colour Sounds
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

SHOCKPOINT! In the wastelands of CYBERTRON, SHOCKWAVE makes his move—and SOUNDWAVE and the DECEPTICONS step up to stop him! While the battle of the century rocks the ancient ruins of the Crystal City, dig back into the history of these titanic rivals!

Cyclopic, even

Story
Dark Cybertron draws ever closer, but with MTMTE finishing off its arc this week, RID chooses to stall another month, giving us some insight into another of the major players in what lies ahead for the Transformers universe. This time, we take the superior vantage point of the observer and Decepticon communications expert: Soundwave.

Affirmative

While the technique is essentialy the same as previous issues with Bumblebee, Arcee and Starscream, Barber has added some time-shifting into the mix, allowing for Soundwave's tale to shed some light onto his own past and Shockwave's, through his interactions with and observations of him, and reveals more of our protagonist's personal beliefs.

Soundwave: Fanboy

We find out in the first couple of pages about Soundwave's synaesthesia, his relationship with emotions and feelings, his distrust of Shockwave and loyalty to Megatron, how it all began, how it worked, and how it might end up now that all is crumbling (again). His attachment and relationship with some of the cassettes is also briefly explored, in passing.

Smells a funny colour

Yes, it's another stalling issue. Yes, it's another caption monologue focused on one character. But it's Soundwave, it's well-written, it bounces around it time and continuities and actually gives us some inkling as to what's about to happen!

Art

The artwork. Barber had a brilliant idea here, getting both Andrew Griffith and Livio Ramondelli to work together, one taking over the present-day narrative, the other on flashback duties. And the writing blends in perfectly, by the way. But the two very different styles, with different incarnations of the characters work amazingly together.

Griffith and Ramondelli, not necessarily in that order

Colour duties are down to Ramondelli for his own pages and linework, and the amazing Priscilla Tramontano for Griffith's work. Once again, she does not disappoint, getting some nice red visor flare in Soundwave's features, and a particularly effective use of appropriate lighting in different settings.

Peekaboo

Shawn Lee's lettering continues to pleasantly surprise, too, with some excellent work on soundwords and speechbubbles throughout, meshing well with the different characters. And it's very nice to see three very different covers by Griffith, Ramondelli and Casey Coller with Joana Lafuente's colours.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

An issue that showcases Barber's writing talents at his best: the upcoming crossover, continuity references and inner monologues, while flicking through time. It may not advance the plot much, or at all, stalling once more before the beginning of Dark Cybertron, but boy does it deliver by focusing on Soundwave.

And so does Barber

The mixture of artwork is brilliant, using Ramondelli's flashbacks with Griffith's present, and the issue just looks fabulous all round. Highly recommended Spotlight: Soundwave part 2, with some great Shockwave backstory to boot!

. :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: out of :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Henry921 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Motto: "All I have to be is exceptional."
Weapon: Battle Blades
I do love these Decepticon focused issues.

Curious about Dreadwing though... which side will he take? He didn't get much characterization before, so he strikes me as a big wild card. I assume he'll be fighting for Shockwave, but then, once he finds out what Shockers is really up to...
Henry921
Brainmaster
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 6
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 3
Skill: 8

Postby 1984forever » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:42 am

Insight into Soundwave? WOW. I actually get to read a Transformers comic that focuses on the season 1 characters that made this franchise great. :lol: REAL Transformers! I can't lose!
1984forever
Targetmaster

Postby Neurie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:20 pm

Shame this book isn't released for another week or so..
Neurie
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 4

Postby Va'al » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:41 pm

Neurie wrote:Shame this book isn't released for another week or so..

That may not be the case! As we got the material, the release date is this Wednesday. It's then down to the distributors to keep to that, rather than the publisher.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Yweggo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:52 pm

So the Autocrasy/Monstrosity styled artwork is flashbacks?
Primus apotheosis is my new favorite thing.
Yweggo
Minibot

Postby xRotorstormx » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:12 am

Motto: ""Get into your enemy's mind. And then beat him at his own evil game.""
I read this last night and, I don't know if it's because I jumped in to the series with #21 but I felt like the reading was very choppy? Would reading the previous issues help or is it supposed to read like that?
xRotorstormx
Fuzor
News Credits: 138
Watch xRotorstormx on YouTube
Buy from xRotorstormx on eBay

Postby Va'al » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:29 am

Yweggo wrote:So the Autocrasy/Monstrosity styled artwork is flashbacks?

Yes indeed! The artwork is by Livio Ramondelli, who also did Autocracy, Monstrosity, Chaos and parts of RiD so far, mainly the ones featuring Orion Pax and Jhiaxus. :D

xRotorstormx wrote:I read this last night and, I don't know if it's because I jumped in to the series with #21 but I felt like the reading was very choppy? Would reading the previous issues help or is it supposed to read like that?

What do you mean by 'choppy'? The plot is not linear, and Barber (the writer) here is trying to look back at pretty much the majority of the IDW run from Infiltration onwards, from Soundwave's point of view. There are a lot of references, especially in the flashback passages, that a new reader will not get.

Brave choice to jump in now! :shock:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby xRotorstormx » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:47 am

Motto: ""Get into your enemy's mind. And then beat him at his own evil game.""
Va'al wrote:
xRotorstormx wrote:I read this last night and, I don't know if it's because I jumped in to the series with #21 but I felt like the reading was very choppy? Would reading the previous issues help or is it supposed to read like that?

What do you mean by 'choppy'? The plot is not linear, and Barber (the writer) here is trying to look back at pretty much the majority of the IDW run from Infiltration onwards, from Soundwave's point of view. There are a lot of references, especially in the flashback passages, that a new reader will not get.

Brave choice to jump in now! :shock:

I caught on with it being flashback oriented, maybe that's why I thought the flow was weird. And it seemed like it took me a while to read because I kept having to reread pages.

Probably not the best to jump in so far in! We were discussing them on the twincast last night so I read it just to have an understanding of what others would be talking about. :D
xRotorstormx
Fuzor
News Credits: 138
Watch xRotorstormx on YouTube
Buy from xRotorstormx on eBay

Postby gothsaurus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:09 pm

I have to disagree... I HATE mixing these styles together in the same comic. Love them separately though.
gothsaurus
Gestalt

Postby Va'al » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:42 pm

gothsaurus wrote:I have to disagree... I HATE mixing these styles together in the same comic. Love them separately though.

Don't you think they worked well with the different stories being told? :-?
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby gothsaurus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:20 pm

I just think each transition is jarring.
gothsaurus
Gestalt

Postby Va'al » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:20 pm

gothsaurus wrote:I just think each transition is jarring.

To each their own, I suppose. I thought it worked quite well! :D
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby reluttr » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:17 pm

I find it interesting how soundwaves minions represent different versions of the characters.

-Ravage is based on Energon Battle Ravage, just a bit more rounded out and correctly deco'd.
-Laserbeak is based on WFC/FOC laserbeak
-Buzzsaw is based on G1
-Frenzy and Rumble are based on Classics/Universe/Generations

Im not 100% sure about ratbat, but he appears to be based on the new MP one. Which would also count as g1 I suppose. XD
reluttr
Mini-Con

Postby Manterax Prime » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:25 am

Motto: "You honestly believed that The Leige Maximo was Prima's other half? How foolish of you!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Maybe Hasbro will finally give us Frenzy and Rumbla as the deluxe tankformers in the new Generations line at some point.
INFINITY! PLEASE!
Hi-Sui-Fu-Do! Bo-Zaba-Byu-Dogon!
Manterax Prime
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 3
Watch Manterax Prime on YouTube
Buy from Manterax Prime on eBay
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Confirmed Release Dates for October IDW Transformers Comics

Postby Va'al » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:14 am

Some of you may still be waiting for September's issue of Robots in Disguise (21), and wondering what has happened to it. Mariel Romero, digital assistant at IDW, has the answer! Both 21 and 22 will be release in October, one on the 9th and one on the 30th - so make sure you pick your copy up next week. In the meantime, check out the preview and review.

OK BREATHE! #Transformers comics digital release dates: #MTMTE 22: 10/16, #RID 21: 10/9, RID 22 = 10/30 :D You're welcome.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT ARMAGEDDON GAME #3 RI 1:10 IDW Comics SEP221734 3RI (CA) Qualano 230103A"
TMNT ARMAGEDDON GA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #4 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2023 OCT221764 4RI (CA) Santtos"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #2 Cvr G 1:10 Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney NOV220589 2G (CA) Kambadais"
GARGOYLES #2 Cvr G ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #52 variant Boom Studios Comics 2020 APR201356 MMPR"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #9 Cvr C Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney JUN230681 9C (CA) Leirix"
GARGOYLES #9 Cvr C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #5 Cvr I 1:10 Dynamite Comics 2024 SEP230251 5I (CA) Moss"
NEW!
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv ENDLESS SUMMER Cvr B IDW Comics JUN231428 (CA)Lawrence"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "POWER RANGERS #2 1:25 incv var Boom Studios Comics 2020 OCT200940 (CA) Montes"
POWER RANGERS #2 1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #3 Cvr P 1:30 Dynamite Comics 2023 JUL230293 3P (CA) Danino"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #3 Cvr H 1:75 Boom Studios Comics 2023 DEC220390 3H (CA) Guara"
MMPR TMNT II #3 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Garbage Pail Kids TRASHIN THROUGH TIME #2 Cvr K Dynamite Comics 2K GPK (CA) Lago"
Garbage Pail Kids ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #53 1:25 Boom Studios Comics 2020 JUN200771 MMPR"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT ARMAGEDDON GAME ALLIANCE #4 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 4RI NOV221622 (CA)Santolouco"
TMNT ARMAGEDDON GA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Last Ronin LOST YEARS #4 Cvr D RI 1:25 IDW Comics APR231598 4D (CA) Moore"
TMNT Last Ronin LO ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #345 - The Roast
Twincast / Podcast #345:
"The Roast"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 9th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Legends Class Windcharger Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Protectobot Streetwise Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Voyager Class Broadside and Blunderbuss" on AMAZON