This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise #22 Preview

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise #22 Preview

Postby Va'al » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:07 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Due to technical difficulties, we are only now able to show a full preview of today's issue in the Robots in Disguise ongoing series by IDW. Take a look below at the Soundwave-tastic artwork, and come back later tonight for the Seibertron.com review!

Transformers: Robots in Disguise #22

John Barber (w) • Andrew Griffith and Livio Ramondelli (a) • Griffith, Casey Coller (c)

SOUNDWAVES! The origin of SOUNDWAVE concludes as the master of sound confronts SHOCKWAVE in the ruins of Cybertron! Will they be friend—or foe? Will the DECEPTICONS stand with SHOCKWAVE—or will they join the AUTOBOTS? It’s the moment of ultimate choice.

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:

• DARK CYBERTRON begins here!
• Leads in to the biggest TRANSFORMERS event in comic book history, beginning next month!
• Livio Ramondelli variant interlocking with issue 20 and 21!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise #22 Preview

Postby Henry921 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:44 am

Motto: "All I have to be is exceptional."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Oh, dear. Time to get a new Ravage... :-(

Still, this is great. The juxtaposition is a bit jarring at times, especially with Shockwave's present and past design, whereas most of the shots of Soundwave are his head, which, of course, is iconic.
Henry921
Brainmaster
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 6
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 3
Skill: 8

Postby gothsaurus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:29 am

I actually am liking each style... but can't STAND them together. It's SO SO SO SO SO jarring. It's like if they had two different actors playing parts every other page... or CGI Yoda and puppet yoda every other scene. It kills the suspension of disbelief. Every page I switch from... "oh my. What's happening with this intrigue over Soundwave and..." to "Oh yeah. I'm reading a comic. This is a comic. I'm reminded this is a comic because the style switched drastically."

The switch between artists AND putting one story across multiple lines has me ready to bail on BOTH comics. As a MTMTE collector, t's messing up my subscriptions at the store, annoying the clerk, and generally making a confusing mess of my collection. :BANG_HEAD:

Please, IDW... stick to longer sprints with each artist... one off comics, or better yet... a nice 6-comic story you can collect in a book.
gothsaurus
Gestalt

Postby budmaloney » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:51 pm

Weapon: Sub-Machine Gun
Just finished reading the issue. I really liked it. Finding out more about Soundwave and his minions was such a great moment. I do agree with you guys about the changing style, but I think it's a new approach that fits well with the varying toy designs. IDW combines the entire experience of the character which is always welcome.
I have a bad habit of not replying on time....you've been warned
budmaloney
Minibot
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 7

Postby gothsaurus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:01 pm

Yeah, I have enjoyed the story a lot as well. Just hoping they listen to the fans saying it's jarring.

It's like... I really enjoy tacos... and I like chocolate sundaes. But I really don't want to eat them TOGETHER... and I certainly don't want them mixed together in a bowl.

But I digress.
gothsaurus
Gestalt

Postby lowman_x » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Motto: "It's all about perspective."
Weapon: High-Energy Particle Beam Rifle
Looking forward to reading this. One question though, where did the cassettes come from? I mean, they just appeared. From the black "bubbly" stuff around Soundwave in that image when they all attack Shockwave you could almost be led to believe that they have warping technology now... or maybe some sort of cloaking power...? That scene just confuses me a bit...

Or has Soundwave incorporated the spacebridge tech into himself with his upgrade...?
"I've got better things to do tonight than die."
lowman_x
Fuzor
Alt Mode: Spacecraft
Strength: 5
Speed: 10
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6

Postby budmaloney » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:09 pm

Weapon: Sub-Machine Gun
[quote="lowman_x"

Or has Soundwave incorporated the spacebridge tech into himself with his upgrade...?[/quote]

That would be really awesome if they did, and a bit forward thinking on Soundwave's part. I think they were inside his chest seeing as he said eject, and they all sort of came out one after the other as usual. I can see how the panel just shows them all at once.
I have a bad habit of not replying on time....you've been warned
budmaloney
Minibot
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7

Postby MGrotusque » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Look closer. His chest is open. Hence him saying "eject".
MGrotusque
Gestalt
Strength: 9
Speed: 5

Postby lowman_x » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Motto: "It's all about perspective."
Weapon: High-Energy Particle Beam Rifle
MGrotusque wrote:Look closer. His chest is open. Hence him saying "eject".

*quietly facepalms*

Yep, totally missed both of those. LOL Actually, I think in my head I saw "eject" and just thought "Eject" the Autobot tape (don't question the logic, there is none).

With that in mind, isn't Soundwave's ability to store his cassettes in his chest a known fact? Why would Shockwave assume he came alone then? It's not a particularly logical assumption on his behalf.
"I've got better things to do tonight than die."
lowman_x
Fuzor
Alt Mode: Spacecraft
Strength: 5
Speed: 10
Firepower: 6

IDW Transformers: Robots in Disguise #22 Review

Postby Va'al » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:11 pm

And here it is! Seibertron.com presents a slightly later review than usual, but a review nonetheless. Now with added bonus message from IDW, too.

For all you digital readers, Transformers: Robots in Disguise #22 is out today! It's not presently showing in the Comics by comiXology iOS app, but is available NOW online (http://read.idwpublishing.com or http:/comixolology.com), in the Transformers Comics app (http://itunes.com/apps/idwpublishing/transformerscomics) and the IDW Comics app (http://itunes.com/apps/idwpublishing/idwcomics). If you buy it in any of those locations, it will show in your purchased list in the Comics app too.

Sound and Fury
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis

SOUNDWAVES! The origin of SOUNDWAVE concludes as the master of sound confronts SHOCKWAVE in the ruins of Cybertron! Will they be friend—or foe? Will the DECEPTICONS stand with SHOCKWAVE—or will they join the AUTOBOTS? It’s the moment of ultimate choice.

Er.. a hint?

Story

Almost there. This issue finally marks the end of the long-winded, at times dragged out, pulled along, kicking and screaming prelude to the big event - Dark Cybertron. John Barber takes his time a little longer to give us more of a look at two (well, several) of the key players.

A big happy family, really

Continuing almost seamlessly and effortlessly from last month's story, issue 22 dives right back into Soundwave's story, weaving together his past with his present, his rise in Megatron's crew and his now questioning of Shockwave, whom we come to realise he never actually trusted all that much.

The early years

It's not just talk, as a lot of action takes place between the different characters, with some excellent fight scenes between Shockwave and Soundwave and their respective minions. But the real pulp of the story is Soundwave's own development. Barber has really pulled out all the writing pens on this one, just as Roberts did with Shockwave.

Yep, he's making it up

In a highly personally enjoyable Memento-with-literary-moments story, one of the most inconic characters in the franchise has finally been given a good, meaty backstory that you can sink your teeth in, revealing a whole new side to him. Top notch, I say.

Art

As with the previous one, Andrew Griffith and Livio Ramondelli alternate art duties, with the former focusing on the present and the latter working on flashbacks from the past. Some readers have complained about the stark contrast, but personally I adored the transitions, and how the script linked them.

Or you know, a couple of months

Colour duties fall again to Priscilla Tramontano for Griffith's linework, and boy does she keep on giving. Especially compared to Ramondelli's smokey work (though still fantastic) for the flashbacks, Tramontano's work in the present is crisp, glossy and pleasure to look at.

LOOK AT IT

Shawn Lee's lettering is still impressing me, and the first image of this review shows just what a good letterer can do to a script, to make it look even better. A shout out also goes to Casey W. Coller, who provides the art for cover B, assisted on colours by Joana Lafuente.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Barber knows how to play with continuity, and it's nice to see a two-parter story with some sort of closure, even if it is moving backwards through time. We see an early Soundwave and his real powers, we see the real importance of Ravage and the bird-cassettes, we get so much good stuff in here it's unbelievable.

All together now!

A lot of people still complain about the art, but I adore it. Griffith, Ramondelli and Tramontano do a terrific job, and the lettering works really well. I'm really looking forward to Dark Cybertron next month, and these past two issues have definitely set it up even more for me.

. :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: out of :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON: :CON:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby mooncake623 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:00 pm

Weapon: Concussion Rifle
great review Va'al! Me I personally hate this one. I can Barely follow Livio Ramondelli's Art and nothing really happens in this one. Huge disappointment after RID #21... Cant wait for dark Cybertron though!
Looking for:
Botcon Redux Spark (Pyro)
"Comfort is the death of creativity "
"My country is the world... and my religion is to do good"
mooncake623
City Commander
News Credits: 461
Speed: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10

Postby sabrigami » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:37 pm

Weapon: Semi-Automatic Rifle
I am really on the fence about this issue. I didn't really get into the last one. The way Soundwave speaks and talks about emotions and colors and stuff just kinda flew over my head a bit :???: I will probably get it, if only because I already have the first part, but I'm in no hurry. Will get it next week along with Dark cybertron
sabrigami
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 2
Strength: 4
Speed: 8
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7

Postby Henry921 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:36 am

Motto: "All I have to be is exceptional."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Hm. Well, I am very eager to know for sure where Soundwave will end up...

Will anyone think harshly of me for reading this in my local comic shop and then getting the hell out of dodge before anyone can try to make me pay for it? I promise I'll get the trade paperback!
Henry921
Brainmaster
Strength: 7
Speed: 4
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 3

Postby Va'al » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:43 am

mooncake623 wrote:great review Va'al! Me I personally hate this one. I can Barely follow Livio Ramondelli's Art and nothing really happens in this one. Huge disappointment after RID #21... Cant wait for dark Cybertron though!

Thanks man! Sorry to hear it wasn't to your liking - I really enjoyed Barber in these last two, and going deeper into Soundwave's origin was just fascinating.

And I do think that Ravage and Soundwave are one of the best couplings in the franchise, especially the kitty. :P
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Va'al » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:46 am

sabrigami wrote:I am really on the fence about this issue. I didn't really get into the last one. The way Soundwave speaks and talks about emotions and colors and stuff just kinda flew over my head a bit :???: I will probably get it, if only because I already have the first part, but I'm in no hurry. Will get it next week along with Dark cybertron

There is a more emotional shift taking place in Soundwave's dialogue, moving towards the very very personal. I think you'll enjoy it more than the last (if that's what got in the way), but I can see why you'd be cautious about it.

Henry921 wrote:Will anyone think harshly of me for reading this in my local comic shop and then getting the hell out of dodge before anyone can try to make me pay for it? I promise I'll get the trade paperback!

Yes. Always.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HUN-GURRR Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Voyager 2018 230903A"
HUN-GURRR Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "QUAKE + CHASM Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2017 231208H"
NEW!
QUAKE + CHASM Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCOURGE + FRACAS Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2016 231208K"
NEW!
SCOURGE + FRACAS T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE #3 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926U"
TRANSFORMERS UNIVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLURR + HYPERFIRE Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2016 231208V"
NEW!
BLURR + HYPERFIRE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MOTORMASTER Transformers Combiner Wars Voyager complete Menasor 2015 230903A"
MOTORMASTER Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE #1 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926R"
TRANSFORMERS UNIVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Trypticon RAMP (LEFT HIP) Transformers Titans Return part accs 2017 230817D"
NEW!
Trypticon RAMP (LE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DK-3 BREAKER Transformers Legacy Deluxe Generations Selects Hasbro 2022 New"
DK-3 BREAKER Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SERGEANT KUP + FLINTLOCK Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete 2017 231208Y"
NEW!
SERGEANT KUP + FLI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ELITA-1 Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Orthia 2018 230903A"
ELITA-1 Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Protectobot ROOK Transformers Generations Combiner Wars IDW pack-in comic book"
Protectobot ROOK T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TURBO TRACKS Transformers Generations Reveal Shield Deluxe complete 2010 230809A"
NEW!
TURBO TRACKS Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHOCKWAVE Transformers Combiner Wars Legends Class complete Hasbro 2016 230713A"
SHOCKWAVE Transfor ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #345 - The Roast
Twincast / Podcast #345:
"The Roast"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 9th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 03 Deluxe Class Movie 3 Crowbar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Speed Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Apeface" on AMAZON