This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi

Postby El Duque » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:54 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
We have some interesting news on Takara Tomy's Transformers Masterpiece line to report from the latest issue of Dengeki Hobby by way of Autobase Aichi. According to an article within the pages of the magazine the 2014 Transformers Masterpiece line will have a new designer, or rather an old designer, Hironori Kobayashi.

Kobayashi is no stranger to the Masterpiece line, he designed MP-01 through MP-09, although his designs for MP-03 Starscream were tweaked by Shoji Kawamori. Kobayashi was also the designer behind the Alternity line. He will be taking over for current Masterpiece designer is Shogo Hasui, who's credits include MP-11 through MP-19. This change will not impact the the development of Masterpiece Fan Poll Winner Star Saber who is currently being designed by Hishashi Yuki.
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi

Postby Tronus_Rex » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:12 pm

I like the new MP line, which did learn from the flaws of the original, & improved the quality. Hopefully, since H. Kobayashi, the engineer/designer drafted, said original, it will make him best qualified/suited to create future MP toys. After all, who would learn from his originals, better than himself, right? :-?
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2008/013/e/f/Joe_Ng_Megatron_by_dcjosh.jpg

Will be used at a later date ^^

http://dcjosh.deviantart.com/art/Joe-Ng-Megatron-74586754
http://minohkim.deviantart.com/art/Zarak-Scorponok-335269537
Tronus_Rex
Fuzor

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece 2014 Line to be Designed by Hironori Kobayashi

Postby RodimalToyota » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Just as the MP line was becoming epic, they change the line up...

Wat?
Masterpiece Hoarder
RodimalToyota
Pretender
News Credits: 5

Postby Powered Convoy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Scans from the magazine can be found here.
http://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/97 ... ers-scans/

Randy
Powered Convoy
Vehicon
News Credits: 86

Postby xyl360 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:49 pm

RodimalToyota wrote:Just as the MP line was becoming epic, they change the line up...

Wat?

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same at first, but this guy did design MP-10, the one that started it all with regards to the 'new' MPs so I think we'll be OK :).

Besides, who better to create MP-22 which is itself based on MP-10 than the one who designed MP-10?
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I am that which is, which was, and is yet to come.

And you will know my name is MEGATRON when I lay my vengeance upon you!
xyl360
City Commander
News Credits: 2

Postby mesh » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:35 am

hmmmmm......i don't know what to think here.
the masterpiece line started to become engineered amazingly since mp-11 to mp-19. why the change? and i thought mp-20 was supposed to be wheeljack, then bumblebee, THEN Ultra Magnus.

I hope to God they don't change the line up. there really is no need to change a good thing.
:BANG_HEAD: :-x #-o :HEADHURTS: :michaelbay:
mesh
Minibot
News Credits: 1

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:51 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Star Saber is not MP-20. Or at least, he's never been confirmed to be. He might just get his own unique number to reflect his special-ness as a fan vote winner. But as MP-20? No confirmation.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 434
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Cyberpath » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:20 am

Wait, are you sure it wasn't actually Shogo Hasui behind the MP-10?

Because I read an interview with Hasui where he stated that he deigned the new Masterpiece Optimus Prime while Kobayashi was working on Rodimus Prime.

And why does Shogo Hasui have to leave the project anyway? I don't like the sound of this.
Cyberpath
City Commander
News Credits: 372

Postby griftimus prime » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:49 am

Motto: "you will have no freedom. whether you are sentient or not."
Weapon: 16 Cannons
cool. i hope there will be many many more repaints to come.
griftimus prime
Brainmaster
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10+

Postby Stormrider » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:58 am

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
The last several figures have been excellent. Not sure I like this move. I really hope Kobayashi will pick up from Prowl/Blue Streak/Smokescreen with the same style. It would absolutely suck if the future figures don't match the recent figures in astetics. Did Hironori Kobayashi design MP Grimlock?
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 409

Postby mooncake623 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:00 am

Weapon: Concussion Rifle
OHHHH.. this is worrisome.
Looking for:
Botcon Redux Spark (Pyro)
"Comfort is the death of creativity "
"My country is the world... and my religion is to do good"
mooncake623
City Commander
News Credits: 461
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 8
Endurance: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:30 am

Cyberpath wrote:Wait, are you sure it wasn't actually Shogo Hasui behind the MP-10?

Because I read an interview with Hasui where he stated that he deigned the new Masterpiece Optimus Prime while Kobayashi was working on Rodimus Prime.
Yeah, Hasui definitely did MP-10 while Kobayashi's last MP was MP-9 Rodimus.

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby megatronus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:52 am

Motto: "I would have waited an eternity for this."
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
I'm not sure what to make of the fandom's collective freak out... >:oP
Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff
News Credits: 112
Buy from megatronus on eBay

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:59 am

megatronus wrote:I'm not sure what to make of the fandom's collective freak out... >:oP
On here, it looks less like a freak out more like just a cautionary awareness. The MP line has been doing so well so far, so to hear of a change of staff would naturally spur a reaction of some kind. ;)

At least we can still look forward to Hisashi Yuki's MP Star Saber since he's good at designing Super Robots like that. :D

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby megatronus » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:00 pm

Motto: "I would have waited an eternity for this."
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
Sabrblade wrote:
megatronus wrote:I'm not sure what to make of the fandom's collective freak out... >:oP
On here, it looks less like a freak out more like just a cautionary awareness. The MP line has been doing so well so far, so to hear of a change of staff would naturally spur a reaction of some kind. ;)

At least we can still look forward to Hisashi Yuki's MP Star Saber since he's good at designing Super Robots like that. :D

Mmmm... Star Saber =P~
Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff
News Credits: 112
Buy from megatronus on eBay

Postby El Duque » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:08 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
Yes, you guys are correct Shogo designed MP-10. I've corrected the post.
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Postby fenrir72 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:52 pm

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
People, I'm one of the unfortunates who don't own an MP Hotrodimus. Were the problems due to design or bad materials? Either way, the change in engineering designers would more or less have learned from mistakes and avoid them in future TF releases no? (and maybe avoid the stupid design flaws found in non MPs like TG Blitzwing)
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:02 pm

fenrir72 wrote:People, I'm one of the unfortunates who don't own an MP Hotrodimus. Were the problems due to design or bad materials?
A little of both (as some parts were either too fragile or designed unworkable ways for the figure to function), as well as due to it simply being too ambitious for its own good, trying to play the role of both Hot Rod and Rodimus when it could have benefited from being constrained to just one and giving the other his own separate mold.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby Trikeboy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:46 pm

I think Masterpiece collectors are entitled to be worried. Everything before MP-10 (which Kobayashi designed) while good, never really meshed as a collective series. Everything after has worked together and looks great together. As long as he doesn't ruin the series because third parties have realised that people want Masterpiece scaled toys. Quakewave was the catalyst and Xtransbots and Cubex are about to duel it out over Huffer. They have competition now, they better not ruin a good thing.

On the other hand, they have a Wheeljack and Bumblebee mold to repaint, not to mention Ultra Magnus so we do have some upcoming releases using the new Masterpieces.
Watch the first of my youtube series, Friends Transform.

Trikeboy
Brainmaster
News Credits: 10

Postby REMINATOR » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:15 am

Weapon: Road Blade
The words so far is Hasui will be doing MP20,21,22 then he'll jump into TF Movie line. Kobayahi will pick up the MP Line starting with MP23 and up. Going to be very interesting to see both lines.
MP-22 Ultra Magnus: Autobot City Commander
REMINATOR
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 5

Postby DinobotSix » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:26 am

good to hear Hasui isn't going away! Looking at some of the pre-Hasui issues, this is a small concern, but hopefully one that is fixed by lessons learned as a design team.
DinobotSix
Micromaster

Postby Dead Metal » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:42 am

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
fenrir72 wrote:People, I'm one of the unfortunates who don't own an MP Hotrodimus. Were the problems due to design or bad materials? Either way, the change in engineering designers would more or less have learned from mistakes and avoid them in future TF releases no? (and maybe avoid the stupid design flaws found in non MPs like TG Blitzwing)

Design and materials.
Its engineering feels and looks like it belongs on a figure twice the size. On top of that the Hasbro version featured the typical poopy paint Hasbro is known for, the kind that hates plastic and tries to get away from.
On top of that the QC wasn't that great, the thing is designed in a way that assembly needed to be very exact, which is something HasTak's factories aren't exactly known for.

This news is somewhat unnerving, Hasui really worked hard on the line so that everything worked scale and aesthetics wise. Kobayahi did some amazing work, but nothing in the line really worked out that well, none of the figures really looked like they came from the same line, hopefully they force him to comply with Hasui's established direction, if not I'll drop the line and just give up on the toys completely.

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:58 am

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Sabrblade wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:People, I'm one of the unfortunates who don't own an MP Hotrodimus. Were the problems due to design or bad materials?
A little of both (as some parts were either too fragile or designed unworkable ways for the figure to function), as well as due to it simply being too ambitious for its own good, trying to play the role of both Hot Rod and Rodimus when it could have benefited from being constrained to just one and giving the other his own separate mold.

And for the love of Primus, don't get the Hasbro version. It has a rather annoying problem in that shoulders really like to break on that version. Spring too strong or plastic too weak? Who knows? The little OffshootFirebolt isn't worth his hefty price tag alone.
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Skill: 5

Postby Dead Metal » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:07 am

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

And for the love of Primus, don't get the Hasbro version. It has a rather annoying problem in that shoulders really like to break on that version. Spring too strong or plastic too weak? Who knows? The little OffshootFirebolt isn't worth his hefty price tag alone.

Especially not when it's been misasembled and its pin was forced into the wrong hole.
At least the large diecast matrix it came with is pretty awesome.

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby Stormrider » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:52 am

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
Dead Metal wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

Especially not when it's been misasembled and its pin was forced into the wrong hole.
At least the large diecast matrix it came with is pretty awesome.

I found the Matrix to be too fidgety. My favorite feature for MP Rodimus is the trailer/anti aircraft gun.

REMINATOR wrote:The words so far is Hasui will be doing MP20,21,22 then he'll jump into TF Movie line. Kobayahi will pick up the MP Line starting with MP23 and up. Going to be very interesting to see both lines.

I had not heard this before and hope it's true. But don't the movie toys need to be in the planning stages now in order to come out in time for the movie?
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 409

Next

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SERGEANT SCRUBADUB Transformers BotBots Series 1 Toilet Troop 2019 used bar soap"
SERGEANT SCRUBADUB ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CAPTAIN CARTRIDGE Transformers BotBots Con Crew Line League handheld game 2019"
CAPTAIN CARTRIDGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "IRONHIDE Transformers Cyberverse Tiny Turbo Changers Series 5 Hasbro 2021 New"
IRONHIDE Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TREAT ELITE Transformers BotBots Series 3 Sugar Shocks Hasbro 2019"
TREAT ELITE Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WASABI BREATH Transformers BotBots Series 5 Hibotchi Heats sushi Hasbro 2020"
WASABI BREATH Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKITTER CHATTER Transformers BotBots Series 4 Magic Tricksters Hasbro 2020 teeth"
SKITTER CHATTER Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ROLLEY DOUGHLEY Transformers BotBots Series 4 Home Rangers Hasbro 2020"
ROLLEY DOUGHLEY Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANQUILLABEAST Transformers BotBots Series 5 Cardio Clique headphones 2020"
TRANQUILLABEAST Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "PEARY PECULIAR Transformers BotBots Series 4 Fresh Squeezes Hasbro 2020"
PEARY PECULIAR Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DINGER Transformers BotBots Series 3 jock squad baseball 2019 Hasbro"
DINGER Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CHIC CHEEK Transformers BotBots Series 2 Swag Stylers 2019 Cheeks makeup brush"
CHIC CHEEK Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FROSTFETTI FROSTYFACE Transformers BotBots Series 4 Sugar Shocks 2020 cake"
FROSTFETTI FROSTYF ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Cyberverse Tiny Turbo Changers Series 5 Hasbro 2021 New"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "POP-O THE CLOWN Transformers BotBots Series 3 Playroom Posse jack-in-box 2019"
POP-O THE CLOWN Tr ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Apeface" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Seaspray" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Decepticon Vortex(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Motormaster Figure" on AMAZON