Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Vintage or New? Which do you prefer?

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Vintage or New? Which do you prefer?

Postby Erailea » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:56 pm

I don't go out of my way to get vintage, but if I find one I like at a price I'm comfortable with at an event or flea market I'll pick 'em up. Ultimately means I don't have many, but I do have a small handful of them.
User avatar
Erailea
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 849
News Credits: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Vintage or New? Which do you prefer?

Postby RAcast » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:03 pm

Motto: "Can't stop, so what! That's how I like it!"
Weapon: Rocket Launcher
While I have a lot of respect for G1, and I'd snag them if I saw them cheaply, there are a very few I'd go out of my way to get. Sixshot is the only one I can think of, but he's not cheap, haha. G1 Optimus Prime is all the G1 I need to make me happy. :) Overall, I do prefer potability and reasonably intricate transformations.
User avatar
RAcast
Gestalt
Posts: 2817
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:26 pm
Location: USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Re: Vintage or New? Which do you prefer?

Postby craggy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Shadowstream wrote:I value poseability, hence I prefer new.

pretty much same here. I like how Hasbro made new versions of all the figures from the vintage Star Wars line, and would love it if they eventually did the same for the Transformers.
assembling a Neo-G1/TF:TM cast. Please PM if you have (or know of) the following at a reasonable price: Classics or Henkei Astrotrain, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Blurr, or 3rd Party iGear Ratchet and Ironhide.
Also looking for Universe Repugnus and Overbite, Frostbite and Longhorn and any Webdiver toys.
craggy
Faction Commander
Posts: 4692
News Credits: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:07 pm

Re: Vintage or New? Which do you prefer?

Postby Va'al » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:05 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
RAcast wrote:While I have a lot of respect for G1, and I'd snag them if I saw them cheaply, there are a very few I'd go out of my way to get. Sixshot is the only one I can think of, but he's not cheap, haha. G1 Optimus Prime is all the G1 I need to make me happy. :) Overall, I do prefer potability and reasonably intricate transformations.



I agree on the most part with this.

I guess partly because I grew up in the Beast Era, too.
Do you have Transformers news for Seibertron.com? Contact us here!


Image
Avatar image by sabrigami
User avatar
Va'al
News Admin
Posts: 6721
News Credits: 65
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:00 am
Location: UK, Italy, The Netherlands
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: Vintage or New? Which do you prefer?

Postby MGrotusque » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:13 pm

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:I don't really care either or, in fact I'd like to have both versions (G1 and classics) of any character to illustrate the evolution in toy design and the technology behind it.


I'm a more of a vintage fella myself but i like to have an updated version to go with it much like JelZe stated. Good updates though, like the Classics releases. Not so much the movieverse or other recent lines.
Image
User avatar
MGrotusque
Godmaster
Posts: 1987
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:40 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Vintage or New? Which do you prefer?

Postby Arctorro » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Motto: ""A beast form is the right of all sentient beings.""
Weapon: Battle Blades
I've tracked down a few G1 toys and bought some reissues, but the Classics line caused me to lose interest in G1. That said, since my interest in G1 has dropped I got the Predacon, Seacon and Sixshot reissues and really like them.
Image

Monkey arms for the win!
User avatar
Arctorro
Godmaster
Posts: 1516
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:24 pm
Location: Victoria, Australia
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10+

Re: Vintage or New? Which do you prefer?

Postby Breakdown 2099 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Both. They each have their own pros and cons, I don't rate one over the other, if a figure appeals to me whatever series it may be, it goes on my shelf.
Breakdown 2099

Re: Vintage or New? Which do you prefer?

Postby fenrir72 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:19 pm

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
I'm a G1 slave. If you mean vintage designed but re-issued with improvements like Encore? Then I'm 100% for it. Purchasing loose but mint figs via ebay poses the risk of getting a lemon.
Current collection status

Number of TFs:400 +
Rarest TF: Fortmax,Pretenders Metalhawk,KissPlayers Sparkbots,Tomy FE Optimus Prime, custom E-hobby Orion Pax, MP-01 2004, Classics Ultra Magnus, henkei Convoy + FP Trailer, e-hobby Roadrage,iPod G1 colors Convoy
Latest TF:MP Wheeljack,30th Jetfire,Windblade
Wanted TFs:Abominus, Computron, Road Caesar, Leo Kaizer, G1 Scorponok, G1 dinobots, Grandus
Impossible Dream TFs:Overlord,Galaxyshuttle,Black Zarak, Monstructor or Dinoking
User avatar
fenrir72
City Commander
Posts: 3844
News Credits: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:37 am
Location: SEA
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Re: Vintage or New? Which do you prefer?

Postby Noideaforaname » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:07 am

Burn wrote:There just seems to be more thought put into them back then. Plus there was a wider variety of characters and molds.

I'd joking retort "how could there be more thought when they simply recycled old toys", but now that I think on it, the original TFs definitely seem more designed to be fun toys rather than how today they are designed to be accurate representations of on-screen characters. You just don't get the quirkier stuff like motorized movement, giant TFs, that certain play value the original Megatron and Shockwave had, Reflector, etc..
Image
Krazy 'bout Kreons: Customs ~ Photos ~ Art
My deviantART
User avatar
Noideaforaname
Gestalt
Posts: 2298
News Credits: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: Vintage or New? Which do you prefer?

Postby Burn » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:38 am

Noideaforaname wrote:
Burn wrote:There just seems to be more thought put into them back then. Plus there was a wider variety of characters and molds.

I'd joking retort "how could there be more thought when they simply recycled old toys", but now that I think on it, the original TFs definitely seem more designed to be fun toys rather than how today they are designed to be accurate representations of on-screen characters. You just don't get the quirkier stuff like motorized movement, giant TFs, that certain play value the original Megatron and Shockwave had, Reflector, etc..


What's that kids? Your toys don't look like how they do on tv?

Then use your bloody imagination!

I get some people LIKE that they're "cartoon accurate" ... but it comes at a sacrifice of imagination, and some can be very hit and miss when it comes to the fun of transformation from either far too simplified to far too complicated.
User avatar
Burn
Forum Admin
Posts: 38337
News Credits: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:37 am

Re: Vintage or New? Which do you prefer?

Postby Nemesis Destron » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:57 am

Motto: ""So you see evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb!""
Weapon: Dual-Sonic Disrupter Gun
Burn wrote:
Noideaforaname wrote:
Burn wrote:There just seems to be more thought put into them back then. Plus there was a wider variety of characters and molds.

I'd joking retort "how could there be more thought when they simply recycled old toys", but now that I think on it, the original TFs definitely seem more designed to be fun toys rather than how today they are designed to be accurate representations of on-screen characters. You just don't get the quirkier stuff like motorized movement, giant TFs, that certain play value the original Megatron and Shockwave had, Reflector, etc..


What's that kids? Your toys don't look like how they do on tv?

Then use your bloody imagination!

I get some people LIKE that they're "cartoon accurate" ... but it comes at a sacrifice of imagination, and some can be very hit and miss when it comes to the fun of transformation from either far too simplified to far too complicated.



:))
Nemesis Destron
Brainmaster
Posts: 1463
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: OC So-Cal

Re: Vintage or New? Which do you prefer?

Postby Mykltron » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:53 pm

Motto: "If I win again I'm still the champion. If you win HAH! that's just impossible.

Weapon: tea cup."
Modern. The vintage ones lack play value for me as they haven't no pose-ability.
Image

Why not take a look at My TF Repaints? Updated 29th November

TFs for sale (TFA, Classics, Movie, PCC)
User avatar
Mykltron
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6081
News Credits: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:43 am
Location: Nearby. Watching.


Return to Transformers Toys Discussion