Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby Grimlock Shakur » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:33 am

Motto: ""If you got it, flaunt it baby!""
Weapon: 16 Cannons
I've put my 2 cents on this already... but I got another one for u guys!

yesterday I went to my local TRU with my wife... I was just browsing around seeing if they had anything new, and I found Thundercracker! oh yeah! finally! :DANCE: , I was not expecting to find him... no way!, so I take it to the register all happy and stuff..., and it rings up at $86.99! yes you read right $86.99 green ones! I was like wtf?! my wife was like "no way isn't $69.99?" so I had to go back and find the price tag on the shelf, it was tiny, and it said $69.99, took a pic and took it to the cashier, so they gave me the $69.99 price, could you imagine if I was a clueless parent or had no idea and just paid the $86.99? I wonder if TRU is slowly trying to push these prices... so just a heads up for you guys out there still hunting for cracker, jut keep ur eyes open! ;) just lets hope we dont end up seeing Optimus for $149.99! shiznit!


:BOT:
User avatar
Grimlock Shakur
Micromaster
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:46 am
Watch Grimlock Shakur on YouTube
Buy from Grimlock Shakur on eBay
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10
Rank: 1
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby RAcast » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:39 am

Motto: "Can't stop, so what! That's how I like it!"
Weapon: Rocket Launcher
User897 wrote:
RAcast wrote:The sad part is, I REALLY want Shockwave, he's so cool, but for $15+? Not even worth it, he's so tiny too.


Agreed. Just not worth it. The alt mode is meh anyway.

I actually really like the altmode, lol.
User avatar
RAcast
Gestalt
Posts: 2817
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:26 pm
Location: USA
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 7

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby SJ21 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:44 am

Motto: "You don't know because you can't see me. Then you are dead."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
I just purchased Thundercracker last week. I am really glad my local store got him when it did. I had him in my hand and talked myself into buying him at $69.99. For $87 I would have put him back.

I will probably be shopping online more often. Until now I would get most of my figures at retail because it was cheaper. Apparently it isn't anymore. Until they start charging sales tax on the internet.
Check out my collection!

the-sj21-collection-t96905.php
SJ21
Brainmaster
Posts: 1498
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:59 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby IronhidesGhost » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:13 am

Motto: "It's a good enough day to die, but I've never mastered doing good things."
Weapon: Big Cannon
A thought occurred to me this morning as I was typing a political rant at some of my friends who bought the pundit spin on the debate and failed to form their own opinions: So now the transformers point. Tobacco and alcohol all carry additional taxes on them, other drugs are illegal and therefore also cost prohibitive. Yet those that bow to their addictions still pony up and pay the price that is demanded. I doubt any of us could deny that we have an addiction. All of us have noted that the tough economy makes it more difficult for us to make these purchases (informed on future potential value though they may be). Perhaps we should take this as our cue to pursue other ambitions. Drop our habit. Acknowledge our addictions and instead of caving to them become "more than meets the eye"s of our friends that look down upon our obsession and do something else with our lives. Work harder, bring more revenue into our homes. I don't want to stop. I don't. We're just coming up on releases that I feel I absolutely have to have (Gaia Unicron was ordered just last night because damn... dude turns into a face). Let's be patriots. Let's fix up our homes. Let's contribute to charities. Let us be men. Men that still get a present on our birthday and Christmas of a transformer from our loved ones but don't go out buying them for ourselves. At least until we can herald in the new age of American prosperity.

I'll let you know how that's working out in a few months after my 35th....
IronhidesGhost
Mini-Con
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:45 pm
Location: Astoria, NY
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Rank: 6
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby Grimlock Shakur » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:31 am

Motto: ""If you got it, flaunt it baby!""
Weapon: 16 Cannons
IronhidesGhost wrote:A thought occurred to me this morning as I was typing a political rant at some of my friends who bought the pundit spin on the debate and failed to form their own opinions: So now the transformers point. Tobacco and alcohol all carry additional taxes on them, other drugs are illegal and therefore also cost prohibitive. Yet those that bow to their addictions still pony up and pay the price that is demanded. I doubt any of us could deny that we have an addiction. All of us have noted that the tough economy makes it more difficult for us to make these purchases (informed on future potential value though they may be). Perhaps we should take this as our cue to pursue other ambitions. Drop our habit. Acknowledge our addictions and instead of caving to them become "more than meets the eye"s of our friends that look down upon our obsession and do something else with our lives. Work harder, bring more revenue into our homes. I don't want to stop. I don't. We're just coming up on releases that I feel I absolutely have to have (Gaia Unicron was ordered just last night because damn... dude turns into a face). Let's be patriots. Let's fix up our homes. Let's contribute to charities. Let us be men. Men that still get a present on our birthday and Christmas of a transformer from our loved ones but don't go out buying them for ourselves. At least until we can herald in the new age of American prosperity.

I'll let you know how that's working out in a few months after my 35th....


oh trust me... I'm sure many of us here have tried to stop collecting, but like you said it's like an addictive drug, I may stop for a couple of months, but then a cool figure draws me back and pulls me in good!, it's weird and hard to explain it to people that don't collect, but I'm sure many of you know exactly what I'm talking about, I'm just glad I'm not a completist, now that's hardcore! I coulndn't afford to be a completist, I just buy what I really like, and it's usually what I can, I used to put Transformers before anything a few years ago, but not anymore, now I have to think twice and do it the right way, and I'm pretty sure I'll keep collecting until I die, even then I want to be buried with a couple of my fav toys! and I'm being serious! :lol: maybe there will be a little anime store or TRU in heaven! and hopefully there won't be any scalpers, they will all be in hell! :grin:
User avatar
Grimlock Shakur
Micromaster
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:46 am
Watch Grimlock Shakur on YouTube
Buy from Grimlock Shakur on eBay
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10
Rank: 1
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby PrymeStriker » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:52 am

Motto: "Brilliant"
Weapon: Augmented Quark Disruptor
Grimlock Shakur wrote:I'm just glad I'm not a completist, now that's hardcore!


I'm glad and sad I'm a completist. :-) :-(
Image
By "Kim Yura" & "Zimmo81"
Henry921 wrote:You can always be counted on to listen to reason, Pryme.

Dead Metal wrote:Have you ever, and i mean ever seen/read/heard something that is completely original and does not copy/homage/pay tribute to something else? Here's a hint: Nope. You never have and you never will.
User avatar
PrymeStriker
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5413
News Credits: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Palm Beaches, FL
Buy from PrymeStriker on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby a Cobra Viper » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:13 am

Yep. I'm out. Actually, I've been out for awhile. The last TF I bought must have been... must have... ummm... hmmm. I can't remember. It may have been either Generations Kup or Warpath. I'd have to check when I get home. I haven't agreed with the prices since they hit $12 or so.

My wife and I have been on a great budget. My spending money is very limited. I tell people this and they get a sour look on their faces like they can't believe that's all the money I have to spend. It's not even that, but when you have a set amount of cash it starts to mean a lot more to you. A lot of things, and I mean A LOT of things, just don't hold the same value they once did. My collecting habits have narrowed considerably to the point where I only buy what I absolutely love. ALL Star Wars got knocked out first. Love the brand, but I didn't grow up with the toys. Transformers has dwindled to only masterpieces and an occasional tidbit I like here and there. I used to think 3rd party stuff was too expensive, but without using my money on other things it's pretty easy to save up now. I'm looking forward to ordering my first 3rd party product next week.
a Cobra Viper
Micromaster
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:24 pm

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby Grimlock Shakur » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:34 am

Motto: ""If you got it, flaunt it baby!""
Weapon: 16 Cannons
I'm just glad that we live in this great country called USA! where we still have the luxury of buying these cool toys even if it's 1 a day or 1 every six months, trust me!, it could be worse people..., I know times are hard for everyone, the way I see is do what makes you happy, as long as you're not hurting anyone, I know as a collector these toys always put a smile on my face, they're not the only things that put a smile on my face though, I'm just thankful that I have a job, a great wife that doesn't nag too much about my collection... hehe, and my health, the rest will come slowly! but for now just know your priorities and lets enjoy life and what we have! ;)
Last edited by Grimlock Shakur on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Grimlock Shakur
Micromaster
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:46 am
Watch Grimlock Shakur on YouTube
Buy from Grimlock Shakur on eBay
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10
Rank: 1
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby Evil_the_Nub » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:37 am

Motto: "Feel free to die when you've had enough."
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
I just got back from Wal Mart and they were still at the $15 price. It doesn't really matter anyway, I STILL haven't seen a figure I want in 2 months.

On the plus side it's been 15 pages and no one has blamed this on Michael Bay yet.
Image
NewFoundStarscreamLuv wrote:me and my friends combine all the time. Sometimes I even combine by myself if no one is around.
User avatar
Evil_the_Nub
Gestalt
Posts: 2390
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:47 am
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby Grimlock Shakur » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:41 am

Motto: ""If you got it, flaunt it baby!""
Weapon: 16 Cannons
Evil_the_Nub wrote:On the plus side it's been 15 pages and no one has blamed this on Michael Bay yet.


who's that?


;)
User avatar
Grimlock Shakur
Micromaster
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:46 am
Watch Grimlock Shakur on YouTube
Buy from Grimlock Shakur on eBay
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10
Rank: 1
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby Grimlock Shakur » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:47 am

Motto: ""If you got it, flaunt it baby!""
Weapon: 16 Cannons
PrymeStriker wrote:
Grimlock Shakur wrote:I'm just glad I'm not a completist, now that's hardcore!


I'm glad and sad I'm a completist. :-) :-(



it's all good, that's your thing! :APPLAUSE:
User avatar
Grimlock Shakur
Micromaster
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:46 am
Watch Grimlock Shakur on YouTube
Buy from Grimlock Shakur on eBay
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10
Rank: 1
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby smilepandabye » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:14 pm

This is exactly the reason I'm selling a huge chunk of my collection. The quality and availability just isnt there anymore. As if the price at walmart werent bad enough the stores in my area arent even carrying the deluxes or voyagers anymore for Prime. All you find are the FOC toys and i'm not too impressed with them. Kmart and TRU can't move their product thus they never get restocked with newer toys. I remember when deluxes were 9.99 you had to rush to the store so no one else would get the one you needed.
smilepandabye
Mini-Con
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:06 pm

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby Dagon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Motto: "Ain't nobody got time fo dat....."
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
It Is Him wrote:Also, the likelihood of me paying $17 at retail is extremely low. Just because I can quantify where the number is coming, doesn't mean I have to go along with it.



This has been one of the most frustrating things I've seen in the fandom since the 07 movie, this crazy idea that because a thing can somehow be 'justified' or explained, it is by default acceptable.
Don't like Bayformers? Well, YOU'RE wrong because get with the times.
Don't like obviously smaller toys at the same price? Well, YOU'RE wrong because of part counts and plastic weights.
Don't like what a figure looks like? Well, YOU'RE wrong because Hasbro doesn't care about fans, only 10% of sales, piss piss piss.
Don't want to pay $17 bucks for an obviously small deluxe? Well,....

You are ABSOLUTELY correct. It does not matter to me in the slightest bit if the price increase is due to oil or transportation costs or whatever. People can choose to justify it in any way they wish. It doesn't matter. The ultimate thing comes down to whether or not I'm going to pay for it, be it these tiny deluxes or movieverse figures or Botshots or whatever. IF I don't want to pay for it, no amount of explaining why is going to make any difference.
That goes whether it's retailers or Hasbro or whoever is behind this price hike.

All that aside, things like this make me both happy that I'm only on the hunt for a few TFs from any of the recent lines, and makes me reconsider whether or not I'm actually interested in any of them at these prices. I'd really like a set of combaticons, but based on all the bad stuff I've heard about them I'm not sure I'm willing to take the 17$ a piece gamble.
Dagon
Faction Commander
Posts: 4788
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:52 am
Buy from Dagon on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 2
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10+

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby DarkEnergon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:50 pm

Motto: "You can't harm me while Dark Energon flows through my veins!"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
The price wouldn't be a major issue for me if the quality of the toys was still good. You take a ROTF toy (regardless of the style, many of them were very well-made) and put it next too one of the flimsy TP deluxes and you get sad fast.

I didn't mind paying $35 for a first-edition cliffjumper, because he ended up being awesome.

You have to be more selective, yes, but I guess what I'm saying is... I'd rather have one very good toy instead of three crappy ones... but what I really really want is the characters I like from the show to be cool toys. Not what you get with Knock Out or Airachnid.
User avatar
DarkEnergon
Minibot
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 2:33 pm
Buy from DarkEnergon on eBay
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Rank: 3
Courage: 4
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby Cliff Jumper » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Motto: "I wanna boot some Decepticon right in his turbocharger!"
Weapon: Glass Gas Gun
Evil_the_Nub wrote:I just got back from Wal Mart and they were still at the $15 price. It doesn't really matter anyway, I STILL haven't seen a figure I want in 2 months.

On the plus side it's been 15 pages and no one has blamed this on Michael Bay yet.


It's all Michael Bay's fault for not putting Cliffjumper in the movie. Then they kill him off in Prime. This has caused the crucial but small Cliffjumper fan base to stop collecting. :lol: :lol:

Seriously though I kinda wonder if the price hike is artificial just to see how much people are willing to pay for the toys. Although I know the real reason is the price of plastic and oil has increased thus toy prices increase.

I wonder if they relaxed on the plastic in the packaging, maybe just put them in a cardboard box a la G1, or blister card with bubble no vacuum formed insert, G1 would that offset the prices?
Image
User avatar
Cliff Jumper
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:56 am
Location: Boiling Springs, SC
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 7
Endurance: 4
Rank: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby PrymeStriker » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:41 pm

Motto: "Brilliant"
Weapon: Augmented Quark Disruptor
Cliff Jumper wrote:
Evil_the_Nub wrote:I just got back from Wal Mart and they were still at the $15 price. It doesn't really matter anyway, I STILL haven't seen a figure I want in 2 months.

On the plus side it's been 15 pages and no one has blamed this on Michael Bay yet.


It's all Michael Bay's fault for not putting Cliffjumper in the movie. Then they kill him off in Prime. This has caused the crucial but small Cliffjumper fan base to stop collecting. :lol: :lol:

Seriously though I kinda wonder if the price hike is artificial just to see how much people are willing to pay for the toys. Although I know the real reason is the price of plastic and oil has increased thus toy prices increase.

I wonder if they relaxed on the plastic in the packaging, maybe just put them in a cardboard box a la G1, or blister card with bubble no vacuum formed insert, G1 would that offset the prices?


Putting them in baggies in a cardboard box, kind of like the Arms Micron line (except with translucent window ala-G1) would make me happy. It would cause less stress with the twistie-ties, that have become cheap paper ones now. :-(

I know, I'm that lazy. :roll:
Image
By "Kim Yura" & "Zimmo81"
Henry921 wrote:You can always be counted on to listen to reason, Pryme.

Dead Metal wrote:Have you ever, and i mean ever seen/read/heard something that is completely original and does not copy/homage/pay tribute to something else? Here's a hint: Nope. You never have and you never will.
User avatar
PrymeStriker
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5413
News Credits: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Palm Beaches, FL
Buy from PrymeStriker on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby Cliff Jumper » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Motto: "I wanna boot some Decepticon right in his turbocharger!"
Weapon: Glass Gas Gun
exactly PrymeStriker.
Image
User avatar
Cliff Jumper
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:56 am
Location: Boiling Springs, SC
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 7
Endurance: 4
Rank: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby Optimum Supreme » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Motto: "You have no chance to survive make your time."
Weapon: Nuclear Charged Fusion Cannon
I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some idiotic "safety" regulation that prevents them from doing anything cheaper with the packaging.
User avatar
Optimum Supreme
Pretender
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:27 pm
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: ???
Speed: 2
Endurance: 10+
Rank: N/A
Courage: 7
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 4

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby Cliff Jumper » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Motto: "I wanna boot some Decepticon right in his turbocharger!"
Weapon: Glass Gas Gun
Optimum Supreme wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some idiotic "safety" regulation that prevents them from doing anything cheaper with the packaging.


I would think it or theft problems.
Image
User avatar
Cliff Jumper
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:56 am
Location: Boiling Springs, SC
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 7
Endurance: 4
Rank: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby PrymeStriker » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Motto: "Brilliant"
Weapon: Augmented Quark Disruptor
Cliff Jumper wrote:
Optimum Supreme wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some idiotic "safety" regulation that prevents them from doing anything cheaper with the packaging.


I would think it or theft problems.


But what about security cameras?
Image
By "Kim Yura" & "Zimmo81"
Henry921 wrote:You can always be counted on to listen to reason, Pryme.

Dead Metal wrote:Have you ever, and i mean ever seen/read/heard something that is completely original and does not copy/homage/pay tribute to something else? Here's a hint: Nope. You never have and you never will.
User avatar
PrymeStriker
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5413
News Credits: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Palm Beaches, FL
Buy from PrymeStriker on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby Erailea » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:20 pm

PrymeStriker wrote:
Cliff Jumper wrote:
Optimum Supreme wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some idiotic "safety" regulation that prevents them from doing anything cheaper with the packaging.


I would think it or theft problems.


But what about security cameras?



Camera's have never stopped people from stealing. All it does is allow the store to submit a police report because they have evidence and file an insurance claim.
User avatar
Erailea
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 853
News Credits: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby PrymeStriker » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:30 pm

Motto: "Brilliant"
Weapon: Augmented Quark Disruptor
Erailea wrote:
PrymeStriker wrote:
Cliff Jumper wrote:
Optimum Supreme wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some idiotic "safety" regulation that prevents them from doing anything cheaper with the packaging.


I would think it or theft problems.


But what about security cameras?



Camera's have never stopped people from stealing. All it does is allow the store to submit a police report because they have evidence and file an insurance claim.


I believe "cheaping-up" the packaging does not make this crime any harder or easier. Unless, of course, it's endurance is equal to that of cotton candy.
Image
By "Kim Yura" & "Zimmo81"
Henry921 wrote:You can always be counted on to listen to reason, Pryme.

Dead Metal wrote:Have you ever, and i mean ever seen/read/heard something that is completely original and does not copy/homage/pay tribute to something else? Here's a hint: Nope. You never have and you never will.
User avatar
PrymeStriker
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 5413
News Credits: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Palm Beaches, FL
Buy from PrymeStriker on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby Bowspearer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:40 pm

On a slightly different topic, I wonder how many other Australians here can remember paying up to $40 for deluxes at the height of the Asian Economic Crisis a decade ago (and yes, I'm serious, that really happened). Man Imagine the responses THAT kind of a price hike happening in the US would get. :lol:
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby Erailea » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:54 pm

Bowspearer wrote:On a slightly different topic, I wonder how many other Australians here can remember paying up to $40 for deluxes at the height of the Asian Economic Crisis a decade ago (and yes, I'm serious, that really happened). Man Imagine the responses THAT kind of a price hike happening in the US would get. :lol:


Yikes. That'd be the trigger for me to go off into Tin Toy land. If I hadn't decided to switch gears to MP's & the like I'd probably be veering more in that direction right now, even at half that cost. The $18-20 factor hasn't hit my area yet but it's *very* close :/ Was at Walmart this evening to get a card and poked into the toy isle out of habit. The deluxes were a few cents short of $16 :/
User avatar
Erailea
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 853
News Credits: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Wal Mart Price Hike, more than target now

Postby Bowspearer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:23 pm

It Is Him wrote:I know a bunch of you guys are nodding your head in agreement about psudeo-Hayek economic theory, talking about inflation and hyper inflation. Unfortunately, most of what's being said isn't true. Between 2011 and 2012, inflation has been less than the standard 3% that we've come to expect. We're far from a hyper inflation scenario - in fact, the the US dollar deflated between 2008 and 2009 during our recession. (And no, the Federal reserve isn't printing more money than it should be) Most importantly, we're forgetting other variables in the equation here.


Actually the fact that that Quantatative Easing (QE) is being and has been repeatedly used is testimony to the fact that the world is entering a hyper-inflationary period and that money is being overprinted. Furthermore the fact that consumer costs are rising (right across the board, not just with petroleum based products) is also evidence of a devalued dollar and therefore inflation.

It Is Him wrote:First, the price of raw materials have increased. As it's been said before oil in the commodities market is not only expensive, it's also unpredictable - what with all the political turmoil in the middle east.


Actually last I checked, the US, like Australia, is fairly self sufficient when it comes to oil. The reasons for the price fluctuations are that the US and Australian Governments stupidly tied their oil prices into global markets and that scale of supply and demand, rather than domestic supply and demand and regulating oil prices to that domestic market.

It Is Him wrote:Second, the US dollar has grown weaker to the Chinese Yuan. Where do our toys get made? Exactly. That means the price of labor, land and other costs are increasing when converted back into the US Dollar.


Which is actually evidence of a devalued dollar and therefore inflation. The fact is that Western countries seldom manufacture anything these days and as a result, the physical economy (our productivity and infrastructure - ie our manufacturing potential) has shrunk, reducing the value of our currencies which has been further compounded by practices such as QE.

Furthermore the big increase is that Chinese labour costs have skyrocketed with wages going up at least 30% in the past few years and I suspect the trend will only continue.

It Is Him wrote:Third, the toys that are here are selling poorly. Hasbro admitted it recently during one of their investor conferences, though it was obvious to us when DOTM Deluxe Wave 7 was cancelled here in the US. As a result, Hasbro is trying to extract more profit from those of us that are still doing well enough to afford a luxury good. When raising prices, Hasbro know they're going to price some people out, but even though they're losing customers, their expecting to make more off that consumer base. If they don't, prices may go back down. Or the deluxe class could disappear, and become something new.


Hasbro's poor market-share there is due to the fact that it's run by idiots! The fact is that the toy market has changed, with kids going to video games earlier and the toy market being more predominantly adult collector driven.

Yet in both these cases, Hasbro only has itself to blame for its poor performance. On one hand, Hasbro is trying for a quick fix on movie lines and letting the likes of the Marketing Department of Walmart call the shots, who in most cases have no clue about the toy industry and how to create and grow trends rather than simply chase them.

As the old saying goes, you get out what you put in - which is bugger all when you're chasing rather than creating trends. So as a result, they wind up trying to base a toyline designed to have at least a 12 month shelf life around a fad which may only last 3-6 months which the line is playing catchup on anyway. Smell wonder that kids smell the staleness a mile off and go to video games. For anyone saying that Action figures can't compete in that environment, I have 1 word for you - Skylanders.

Secondly, Hasbro refuse to properly cater to adult collectors in the wash of this. The Avengers toyline is a classic example of this. You can't expect to shove the first few waves of the line with upteen dozen repaints of the same few figures and then wonder why you end upwith a raft of pegwarmers. That of course leads to the part of the equation which is the fault of retailers (TRU is one retailer guilty of this) using automatic reordering systems based around average sales which can see 1 or 2 lone figures staying on the pegs for 2 weeks after the rest of the case has sold on the first day, making the wave/line look like a poor performer. Retailers need to pull their fingers out of their backsides and put them on the pulse because in this climate, they can't afford to ignore system problems that have been there for years and which they couldn't be bothered addressing.

In short, Hasbro's problem isn't the market- it's how it handles the market and recognising that it needs to be in the driver's seat - not retailers.
Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
Bowspearer
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #101 - Talkin' 'Bout My Generations
Twincast / Podcast #101:
"Talkin' 'Bout My Generations"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, September 21st, 2014