Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Welcome to the General Discussion area where just about anything goes! This area is designed to discuss all matters and does not necessarily have to be Transformers related. Please keep topics relevant.

Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby Counterpunch » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:07 am

Motto: "...and I used to be such a nice guy."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
I mentioned on one of the recent Twincast episodes that I was working on a novel. I finished it sometime in February and I am now in the middle of learning about and struggling through the publishing process.

This is something big for me because I am not doing this as a side project, this is not something I am playing at or "exploring". I have set my career aside for a few years while I have the opportunity and I am writing full-time while my wife finishes her post-doctoral research.

Since it was the articles I wrote for this site many years ago that got me thinking about this, I thought I would share some of this here first.

The stuff I am working on is straight up fantasy fiction literature with a dystopian/steam-punk bend to it. I began work on my first book, Master of the House in September 2011 and finished it five months later.

I'm basically doing what you always hear about in school and in terms of all the crap people tell you about following your dreams. I'm giving a shot to doing what I really love doing. I have no idea if this will work out or if there's any hope it will succeed.

If you would like to see what I'm doing, read some of my sample stuff (there will be more, the site is only a week old), or hear my insight on character and world creation; please visit my blog here: http://legacyofshadow.com/

Thanks for any and all support. Following me on Twitter or leaving comments all over the site would be very helpful for me. Thanks guys, this is really something that has a small part of its inception here at Seibertron.
Image
User avatar
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
Posts: 15238
News Credits: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:56 pm
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby BeastProwl » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:04 pm

Motto: "Planet Exploder"
Weapon: Razor Tipped Wing Swords
The best of luck CP! Rrmember, Fantasy Fiction's a double edged blade, you gotta be careful wich way you swing it. Seriously though, good luck. Iv'e got my own fiction to write too, but you sound WAY farther along. Mine's also got steampunk influence .
STEAMPUNK FTW!
My PSN: BeastProwl
Image

Come read my Photocomic! It totally doesn't suck!

Va'al wrote:PCCs are not only desirable, they are adorable. [-(

Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
User avatar
BeastProwl
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6076
News Credits: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: The Badass Crater of Badassitude
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby TulioDude » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Motto: "Never doubt the awesomess."
Weapon: Energo-Sword
SOunds interresing.Good luck man! :PEACE:
Image
TulioDude is back!Now more social than ever!Here is my DeviantArt page and my Tumblr blog.
User avatar
TulioDude
Brainmaster
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 6:20 pm
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 9
Rank: 3
Courage: 8
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby 8 bit » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:04 am

Motto: "You only live thrice."
Weapon: Buffalo Missile
Just finished the first chapter you have posted on your website. This is really good stuff. I think making dialogue interesting and engaging is difficult, but you seem to pull it off nicely.

Did you do any research about writing, character progression, or mythology; or did you just dive in and go for it?
Image
User avatar
8 bit
Targetmaster
Posts: 698
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:22 pm
Location: Castlevania
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Rank: 3
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby RhA » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:14 am

Motto: "BRING ME DANGER!"
I don't know cr*p about writing, I can only tell if I liked it or not.

So this makes me the target audience? Bombs away!
Image
Latest TF: Energon Hotshot, Signal Flare & Strongarm.
User avatar
RhA
Faction Commander
Posts: 4033
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:37 am
Location: The Underwhere
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Rank: 10
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 1

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby Counterpunch » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:11 am

Motto: "...and I used to be such a nice guy."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
8 bit wrote:Just finished the first chapter you have posted on your website. This is really good stuff. I think making dialogue interesting and engaging is difficult, but you seem to pull it off nicely.

Did you do any research about writing, character progression, or mythology; or did you just dive in and go for it?


I came up with my character ideas and dove right in. I appreciate the compliment. Strong characterization is what I strive for, so what you said has weight for me.

RhA wrote:I don't know cr*p about writing, I can only tell if I liked it or not.

So this makes me the target audience? Bombs away!


Awesome!
Image
User avatar
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
Posts: 15238
News Credits: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:56 pm
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby MGrotusque » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:22 am

8-Bit took the words out of my mouth.

Good work man and congrats on chasing the dream.
Image
User avatar
MGrotusque
Godmaster
Posts: 1983
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:40 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby prowl123 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:21 pm

Motto: "If your house burns down... it's my fault."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
I will be buying this if it is published, It seems very interesting.

I know a bit about publishing. First, you need an agent. You can find hundreds of the website I'll link to the end of this paragraph. Different agents have different requirements; some want specific genres, some may require the first 20 pages or the first chapter, the storyline. It varies. Just be ready for some copy-and-pasting. The agent is a representative of a publishing company, and if they accept you work, you're as good as gold. My only advice: send it out to like four or five, because I can almost garauntee the first few will probably turn you down.

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/search.html

You could also consider self-publishing. I'm not sure how it works, but I'm told it's a bit easier.

I myself am working on a novel. I have since April. I wrote a rough draft, but have made almost no progress at all since August except for working out a few bugs in the story.
~prowl123~


Don't take anything I say seriously, because what I say may not necessarily be what I mean.
User avatar
prowl123
Godmaster
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:43 pm
Location: Watching the guy that's watching you.
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby Counterpunch » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Motto: "...and I used to be such a nice guy."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
prowl123 wrote:I will be buying this if it is published, It seems very interesting.

I know a bit about publishing. First, you need an agent. You can find hundreds of the website I'll link to the end of this paragraph. Different agents have different requirements; some want specific genres, some may require the first 20 pages or the first chapter, the storyline. It varies. Just be ready for some copy-and-pasting. The agent is a representative of a publishing company, and if they accept you work, you're as good as gold. My only advice: send it out to like four or five, because I can almost garauntee the first few will probably turn you down.

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/search.html

You could also consider self-publishing. I'm not sure how it works, but I'm told it's a bit easier.

I myself am working on a novel. I have since April. I wrote a rough draft, but have made almost no progress at all since August except for working out a few bugs in the story.


My first set of submissions was to like...15 agents I think.

Only four negative responses so far. The rest are no response.

I try to update my blog about the writing process. Maybe some of it will help you get back on track? What are you hung up on?
Image
User avatar
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
Posts: 15238
News Credits: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:56 pm
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby prowl123 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:06 am

Motto: "If your house burns down... it's my fault."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Counterpunch wrote:
prowl123 wrote:I will be buying this if it is published, It seems very interesting.

I know a bit about publishing. First, you need an agent. You can find hundreds of the website I'll link to the end of this paragraph. Different agents have different requirements; some want specific genres, some may require the first 20 pages or the first chapter, the storyline. It varies. Just be ready for some copy-and-pasting. The agent is a representative of a publishing company, and if they accept you work, you're as good as gold. My only advice: send it out to like four or five, because I can almost garauntee the first few will probably turn you down.

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/search.html

You could also consider self-publishing. I'm not sure how it works, but I'm told it's a bit easier.

I myself am working on a novel. I have since April. I wrote a rough draft, but have made almost no progress at all since August except for working out a few bugs in the story.


My first set of submissions was to like...15 agents I think.

Only four negative responses so far. The rest are no response.

I try to update my blog about the writing process. Maybe some of it will help you get back on track? What are you hung up on?


Yeah, it took, like, three months for one company to get back to me. Very long time.
~prowl123~


Don't take anything I say seriously, because what I say may not necessarily be what I mean.
User avatar
prowl123
Godmaster
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:43 pm
Location: Watching the guy that's watching you.
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Rank: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby Counterpunch » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:17 am

Motto: "...and I used to be such a nice guy."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
I'll try not to spam this place up too much, but I'd like a bit of input here if you have the time: http://legacyofshadow.com/?p=242
Image
User avatar
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
Posts: 15238
News Credits: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:56 pm
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby SJ21 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:09 am

Motto: "You don't know because you can't see me. Then you are dead."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
That is quite a bit of content you have on that website! I like that you are building an entire world and not just a story. Impressive stuff. I started working on the first chapter you put up. I will leave comments for you as I get through it.

I want to congratulate you on going after the dream. Many people wouldn't take that leap.
Check out my collection!

the-sj21-collection-t96905.php
SJ21
Brainmaster
Posts: 1497
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:59 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby Counterpunch » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:59 pm

Motto: "...and I used to be such a nice guy."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
SJ21 wrote:That is quite a bit of content you have on that website! I like that you are building an entire world and not just a story. Impressive stuff. I started working on the first chapter you put up. I will leave comments for you as I get through it.

I want to congratulate you on going after the dream. Many people wouldn't take that leap.


Thanks dude.

I took your comment and turned the response into my blog post for the day. :D
Image
User avatar
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
Posts: 15238
News Credits: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:56 pm
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby SJ21 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:02 am

Motto: "You don't know because you can't see me. Then you are dead."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Counterpunch wrote:Thanks dude.

I took your comment and turned the response into my blog post for the day. :D


I feel famous now.
Check out my collection!

the-sj21-collection-t96905.php
SJ21
Brainmaster
Posts: 1497
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:59 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Rank: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby Counterpunch » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:46 pm

Motto: "...and I used to be such a nice guy."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
Well, I've finished drafting my next work.

Pre-editing it's coming in at 105k words and appears to be very publishable in regards to content and format length.

Anyone who might be interested or need something to read on a Friday afternoon, please check it out here: http://legacyofshadow.com/?p=335
Image
User avatar
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
Posts: 15238
News Credits: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:56 pm
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby Counterpunch » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:43 pm

Motto: "...and I used to be such a nice guy."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
I added a bunch of character profiles for my second book titled The New Potential.

Check them out here: Character Profiles

I'm hoping to do a run of digital publishing later in the year.
Image
User avatar
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
Posts: 15238
News Credits: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:56 pm
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby Counterpunch » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:56 am

Motto: "...and I used to be such a nice guy."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
I've added a short story section to the site with several pieces of new material.

The story posted for today is titled History Lesson.

You can find the other stories here for easy reference: Short Stories.
Image
User avatar
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
Posts: 15238
News Credits: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:56 pm
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby TulioDude » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:27 pm

Motto: "Never doubt the awesomess."
Weapon: Energo-Sword
Were would you recommend to start reading your stories?
Image
TulioDude is back!Now more social than ever!Here is my DeviantArt page and my Tumblr blog.
User avatar
TulioDude
Brainmaster
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 6:20 pm
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 9
Rank: 3
Courage: 8
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Re: Working on something big, thought I'd share...

Postby Counterpunch » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:48 pm

Motto: "...and I used to be such a nice guy."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
TulioDude wrote:Were would you recommend to start reading your stories?


Well, for the 1st book that's coming out you can start here: Master of the House Chapter 1

Otherwise, the character links are a good place to get familiar with things.

Characters in Master of the House
Image
User avatar
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
Posts: 15238
News Credits: 68
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:56 pm
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7


Return to General Discussion