Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby Shadowman » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:44 am

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Drift082111 wrote:I think Optimus and Megatron are the main perpetuating characters. They have helped to establish a great lore and I don't think there's any point in trying to establish 2 new factions into the future. I hope the story of Optimus and the Autobots vs. Megatron and the Decepticons will be told for generations. This comparison may be a bit off, but it'd almost be like trying to get used to the attempts I've witnessed with many newer comic book characters. I think it takes a certain amount of the right x-factor or indescribable quality to garner fandom and genuine love for such fictitious characters. :BOT:


It could, in theory, work. Look at Star Trek: The Next Generation, that's often viewed as superior to the original series. It's just the first time it was tried with Transformers, it went horribly, due to the people in charge not realizing the impact it would have, and also the aforementioned animation decline.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28824
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby MGrotusque » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:26 am

I'd be down with a fresh approach with all new characters and story line. In fact......I'd welcome it. Nothing wrong with expanding the TF universe.

Even if it was done in a comic medium or a paperback/grachic novel instead of a T.V show would be acceptable enough for me.
Image
User avatar
MGrotusque
Godmaster
Posts: 1962
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:40 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Rank: 8
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby Jazz813 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:01 pm

Yeah maybe it could work at least on the comics it works, why not also on a TV series. Something I like to see once is in a TV show more in the past in the years from A3 or like the farest future (not Beast Wars) like the time where we can see after the Transformers TPB Chaos, when the new generations of the Autobots ask Ironhide and Alpha Trion more stories about the past, great stories about Optimus Prime. Something like that. That might be interesting as well. :-?
User avatar
Jazz813
Minibot
Posts: 148
News Credits: 3
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:59 pm
Location: Luxembourg
Watch Jazz813 on YouTube
Buy from Jazz813 on eBay

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby Dead Metal » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:19 pm

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
Season 3 would have worked a lot better if the new characters had been introduced a while before all the old guys died.
Had they been around at the second half of season 2 and gradually received more and more screen time and character development the change would have been less shocking.

But yes, I would be up for a show without all the main cast, both sequel and side series type thing, as long as it's done well.
Kinda like in Beast Wars, where they would often reference the old stuff and gave a sense of mystical wondrous history to the whole thing.

I kinda think that's what Hasbro is going to do or at least plans to do with the new Aligned continuity, didn't they state that this continuity would last for at least 10 years? I'm hoping they gradually expand the cast and further the story so that if you look at the first episode and then the last it's like two completely different shows.
Image


Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
User avatar
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13780
News Credits: 34
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:18 am

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby robotmel » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:02 am

Motto: "I once pooped an Energon Cube!"
Weapon: Dino-Missiles
Burn wrote:Much like Rescue Bots. Only more violent.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROBOTMEL'S WANTS LIST! :BOT: PM ME PLEASE!
RID - Ultra Magnus (God Magnus) (COMPLETE)
Perfect Effect - Rumble & Frenzy, Ejector & Rewinder (COMPLETE)
Alternity - Cliffjumper, Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp (COMPLETE)
Fansproject - Assaulter (Broadside) (COMPLETE)
Masterpiece - Starscream (Hasbro G1 colour) (COMPLETE)
IDW Transformers (2009 Ongoing) - #22b (VF/NM)
MARVEL Generation 2 - Halloween Special (VF/NM)
User avatar
robotmel
Godmaster
Posts: 1804
News Credits: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:22 am
Location: Great Britain
Buy from robotmel on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Rank: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby That Bot » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:32 am

Motto: "Yesssssssss....."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
I would love to watch a show about Transformers that aren't named Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Bumblebee, Ratchet, Soundwave, Arcee, et all. Even as much as I love TF Prime, the entire 2000s were filled with reboot after reboot that brought us new toys modeled and named after characters from an ever-aging 80s cartoon. I want to see a show about the guy who comes AFTER Optimus and Rodimus. Maybe several Primes later, to the point where the great Autobot/Decepticon war is the stuff of legend, and members of the two factions now coexist relatively peacefully. Maybe war could be rekindled by a rogue Cybertronian terrorist and members of both factions align both with and against him so you've got good guy 'bots and 'cons and bad guy 'bots and 'cons. They could come up with new unifying faction names to alleviate confusion, or they could ramp up the fact that you can't tell who fights for what just by what picture is on their shoulder like you could in the good old days. Or we could do splinter factions, or, or.....
There's a million creative possibilities that don't involve any (or many) of Hasbro's longstanding trademarked names.
Image
That Bot
Headmaster
Posts: 1026
News Credits: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:50 pm
Watch That Bot on YouTube
Buy from That Bot on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Rank: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby Shadowman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:05 am

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
That Bot wrote:Maybe several Primes later, to the point where the great Autobot/Decepticon war is the stuff of legend, and members of the two factions now coexist relatively peacefully. Maybe war could be rekindled by a rogue Cybertronian terrorist and members of both factions align both with and against him so you've got good guy 'bots and 'cons and bad guy 'bots and 'cons. They could come up with new unifying faction names to alleviate confusion, or they could ramp up the fact that you can't tell who fights for what just by what picture is on their shoulder like you could in the good old days. Or we could do splinter factions, or, or.....


That was actually the plot of Beast Wars. The Maximals and Predacons are actually at peace, and the one who takes the name Megatron is, along with his followers, actually a rogue faction. Even that part about having good guys rally to his cause is in there; any Predacons who weren't introduced in episode one were reprogrammed Maximal protoforms. As for bad guys on the good guys side, well, Dinobot and Blackarachnia took care of that, Dinobot even contemplates suicide because he can't figure out which side he should be fighting for. And then Tarantulas goes off on his own, so you have a splinter faction of a splinter faction.

That's the problem with any franchise that's lasted almost 30 years; anything you can think of, it's probably done before.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28824
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby That Bot » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:06 am

Motto: "Yesssssssss....."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
Man, I grew up on Beast Wars and I never even thought of it that way. Well, I'm thinking a bit before the Great Upgrade, when Autobots and Decepticons are still distinct, and they don't really trust each other. Sorta like how all the Maximals were wary of Dinobot, but they're all like that. And again, nobody's sure who's on whose side. That's something that has pretty much never happened. I figure there will be double agents and double-crossings and guys (like Tarantulus) with their own motivations independent of either side. I guess what I described is similar to Beast Wars but the way I'm imagining it, it's a lot less clear-cut. In BW you had the Maximals and the Predacons. Sure, at large they were at peace, but we only saw glimpses of Cybertronian life in their era, so we only knew the Predacons as the bad guys. And Beast Wars/Machines was 5 years of TV that happened once. Ever since then, it's been reboot reboot reboot Optimus Prime and his team of Autobots consisting of the yellow novice, the straight-laced medic, the big, tough guy, and Megatron and his devious lieutenant Starscream, his loyal sidekick, and his motley crew of assorted Decepticons who follow him more out of fear than anything. I want something different. I want somebody not named Optimus who doesn't act like an Optimus and a bad guy leader who has a different dynamic than being a slaughterhouse to anybody who doesn't follow him. If the Aligned continuity goes on for a while, I hope they explore that. They probably won't. Hasbro likes their trademarks.
Image
That Bot
Headmaster
Posts: 1026
News Credits: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:50 pm
Watch That Bot on YouTube
Buy from That Bot on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Rank: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby Shadowman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:57 am

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
I don't think that's even possible. It can't be "no one's sure who is on which side" for very long, at some point conflict has to happen and the lines are drawn. It's a war story, there's going to be fighting. You can have a couple sleeper agents here or there, but at some point they have to make themselves known.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28824
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby BeastProwl » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Motto: "Planet Exploder"
Weapon: Razor Tipped Wing Swords
I know I have said this time and time again, but ANIMATED.
I mean, yeah, it was OP and Megs. Yeah, it was Autobots vs Decepticons. BUT. It was fresh. Everything was different, and they had enough characters from every era of transformers to make the show go in a direction that no other series would have ever dare to tread. There was even a Beast Wars Cross G1 rythem starting to pick up.

But ROTF. For all of ROTF's shortcomings was it really worth it? I say NO.

I wish they would at least continue it in comic form. Continue it from the Stunticon Job. Have it explain everything, and continue the story even farther then animated ever intended to go. Art is cheaper than animation, right?
My PSN: BeastProwl
Image

Come read my Photocomic! It totally doesn't suck!

Va'al wrote:PCCs are not only desirable, they are adorable. [-(

Fanboy wrote:You need to see the figure, feel the figure , lick the figure , be the figure,
And only then can you love mp 01 the way I have.
User avatar
BeastProwl
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6069
News Credits: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm
Location: The Badass Crater of Badassitude
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 7
Rank: ???
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby That Bot » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:54 pm

Motto: "Yesssssssss....."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
I guess what I mostly want is the Punch/Counterpunch dynamic expanded upon on both teams. Have agents of both allegiances who spy on the other guys. And the "confusion over who's on what side" is mostly the fact that there are bots and cons on both sides. Yes, once they make a big, grand, confrontation, they'll know who plays for what team, but everybody knows how rampant spies are and they don't trust their own so-called teammates. I feel like, in 30 years, we've only got the tip of the iceberg of the possible stories explored. And that's just an idea. To go back to the original topic, yes, I would be happy with an all-new crop of bots whose adventures I could follow in some new way. Sorta like Rescue Bots.

HELL yes at Animated. Give the characters new names and it would be exactly what I'm asking for: freshness. As it is, they changed what it means to be a Prime and a Magnus just to keep the trademarks, so the characters were already very different, which I liked.
Image
That Bot
Headmaster
Posts: 1026
News Credits: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:50 pm
Watch That Bot on YouTube
Buy from That Bot on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Rank: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby DJrasmo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:10 pm

Weapon: Indepentently Targetable Particle Beam Cannons
Yes, Yes, a thousand times YES.

The reason G1-Movie-G2 torch passing didnt work was it wasn't handled the right way. It was like all of a sudden "BAM!" lots of dead old guys..."BAM!" lots of new guys...and a lot of stuff crammed down our throats as viewers (and consumers) made the whole thing feel "forced".

Beast Wars = Phail.

Animated was mostly a win (and my favorite to date) due to totally changing most of the dynamics and just keeping familiar names in order to placate the fanboi base. Animated made the Decepticons the aggressors (which is cannonically accurate, since they were supposedly the "military bots" and the autobots were supposed to be "service-oriented" machines).

To be a success, I feel a "new" series would need:

1. Expand on human/transformer interaction and relationships...both on the good side and bad. Animated did this well on the good guy side, but where were the Dr. Arkeville's in this universe? I mean, these giant robots immigrate across the galaxy, settling on our planet, and less than half a dozen humans ever have interaction with them? Pfft...take a cue from McDreamy and the Bayverse...there should be whole Skull and Bones type conspiracies built around these guys.

2. Smooth transition from "last-gen" to "next-gen". The movie and G2 failed at this, and Animated did okay...turning Ratchet into a "Kup-esque" character and constantly reminiscing about the Great War was a great bit...but it was totally washed by having ANOTHER Optimus Prime paradoxically present.
-maybe have the "original" Optimus Prime serve in some limited capacity...like as headmaster of the Autobot Academy or kinda like Jaga from Thundercats would be cool...
-maybe have some of the old, nameless "extras" bots...the guys in the background used as filler in G1 who were like the Red Shirt Ensigns from Star Trek...they could become some of the main-streamers this time around...leading to flashbacks, storytime memories, etc. Everyone loves a well-done throwback.

3. Re-invent, but dont OVER-reinvent. AkA "The reason Beast Wars failed". GET AWAY from "ZOMG Unicron might stiiiiiilll be around"; "Prime/Megatron could stiiiiill be resurrected"; etc.
-maybe the new plot device could be the Transformers realize that vehicle alt modes are not as "disguising" without some Bay-esque human interaction and could lead to some headmaster/powermaster type interaction

4. Plot devices = GOOD; Mcguffins = BAD (*cough* Animated Allspark Key *cough*).

5. AND THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART: Do not make the series to sell toys, make the toys revolve around the series.
GASP! I know, I know...this reverses everything that Transformers has ever been based on since the importing of G1 from Japan...but it's also why Animated was so much more of a better show...it centered around a handful of bots and really fleshed them out with personalities and backstory.
G1 was basically a laundry list of bots in a cartoon designed to SELL TOYS...how many of you can remember anything note-worthy ever done by the likes of Powerglide or Cosmos? Even Reflector was little more than a Red Shirt Star Trek Ensign included only to increase the ranks of the Decepticons and sell his associated toy, and he had the most screen time of almost all the "junior varsity" bots. On the other hand, I bet most of you remember the flashbacks of how Elita 1 became Blackarachnia or Ratchet's first meeting with Lockdown.
People will buy G1 Powerglide or Cosmos simply to "fill in a slot on the G1 shelf"...but they actually WANT to get Animated toys because they are part of the storyline...part of the UNIVERSE...which is the entire reason behind why my personal collection concentration has shifted from G1 (which is admittedly only about 2/3 complete) to getting the entire Animated line FIRST.
"Bah Weep Grahna Weep Ninnee Bong"
"Now, without making any sudden movements, offer them an Energon Goodie..."
DJrasmo
Minibot
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:14 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby Shadowman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:41 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
DJrasmo wrote:Beast Wars = Phail.


What? This is news to me. How so?

DJrasmo wrote:2. Smooth transition from "last-gen" to "next-gen". The movie and G2 failed at this, and Animated did okay...turning Ratchet into a "Kup-esque" character and constantly reminiscing about the Great War was a great bit...but it was totally washed by having ANOTHER Optimus Prime paradoxically present.


Another Optimus Prime? I only ever recall the one Optimus Prime in Animated. Don't tell me you still think Animated is a continuation of G1, everyone else already figured out it isn't long before season 1 even ended.

DJrasmo wrote:3. Re-invent, but dont OVER-reinvent. AkA "The reason Beast Wars failed". GET AWAY from "ZOMG Unicron might stiiiiiilll be around"; "Prime/Megatron could stiiiiill be resurrected"; etc.


Once again, I don't know what you mean. People complained a lot about Beast Wars because of TRUKK NOT MUNKEY but they got over it when they realized Beast Wars actually told a really damn good story. (Code of Hero makes G1 look like a kids show...well, more of a kids show, you know what I mean) Complaining about BW is almost a cliché in the fandom at this point.

Beast Wars didn't fail, by the way, it's still fondly regarded as some of the finest storytelling in Transformers by many, many fans. And they didn't even need Simon Furman, but he wrote the series finale anyway.

DJrasmo wrote:4. Plot devices = GOOD; Mcguffins = BAD (*cough* Animated Allspark Key *cough*).


MacGuffin = plot device. Whereas a Deus Ex Machina is a plot device that ends the story, a MacGuffin is a plot device that pushes the story forward.

DJrasmo wrote:the importing of G1 from Japan


You mean the importing of G1 to Japan, right? Well...no, you couldn't, could you, because Japan didn't get G1 until after season 2 was underway over here. You could mean, headmasters, but that wasn't imported, in fact, no Japanese-made TF series was ever brought over to America until RID.

DJrasmo wrote:G1 was basically a laundry list of bots in a cartoon designed to SELL TOYS...how many of you can remember anything note-worthy ever done by the likes of Powerglide or Cosmos? Even Reflector was little more than a Red Shirt Star Trek Ensign included only to increase the ranks of the Decepticons and sell his associated toy, and he had the most screen time of almost all the "junior varsity" bots. On the other hand, I bet most of you remember the flashbacks of how Elita 1 became Blackarachnia or Ratchet's first meeting with Lockdown.
People will buy G1 Powerglide or Cosmos simply to "fill in a slot on the G1 shelf"...but they actually WANT to get Animated toys because they are part of the storyline...part of the UNIVERSE...which is the entire reason behind why my personal collection concentration has shifted from G1 (which is admittedly only about 2/3 complete) to getting the entire Animated line FIRST.


That was the idea. Have the characters look awesome on the show, and the kids will buy them. Kids didn't buy Optimus because he was on shelves, kids bought Optimus because of how awesome the cartoon made him look. That's the entire reason Transformers exists in fiction.

And don't forget how many characters were in Animated to simply be in Animated. You remember Rodimus Prime and his team fighting that small band of Decepticons? It lasts all of five minutes, it's never brought up again, and the characters all have toys.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28824
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby DJrasmo » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:47 am

Weapon: Indepentently Targetable Particle Beam Cannons
Beast Wars being "fail" is simply an expression of my own opinion. As 3rd grade dictionary learnin' taught us, an "opinion" is not a "fact", and therefore wether or not BW "fails" cannot be proved or disproved as true/false.
Personally I feel like they broke away too much from what made the Transformers a franchise, yes, as you say "trukk not munkey".

"Another Optimus Prime? I only ever recall the one Optimus Prime in Animated. Don't tell me you still think Animated is a continuation of G1, everyone else already figured out it isn't long before season 1 even ended"

You mis-read me here. I meant "another" as in "yet another of a long line of reduxed character models...as opposed to introducing a new character to fill the leader position instead (which was one of the main points of this thread to begin with). Bad interwebs grammar...mah bads.

"MacGuffin = plot device. Whereas a Deus Ex Machina is a plot device that ends the story, a MacGuffin is a plot device that pushes the story forward."

Congrats on your dictionary nazism...but I was simply referring to a "macguffin" in the stereotypical sense of a recurring plot device that means InstaJib For The Win...such as the Allspark Key in Animated, Voltron forming together, or Prince Adam becoming He-Man.
Typically over-used, and almost always a sign that whatever plot that has been previously progressing is about to be inexplicable defeated by the use of a simple crutch device.
After going back and watching some of my (perhaps mis-remembered) favorite cartoons, I was surprised and more than a little disappointed that the standard formula was like 10-15 minutes of storyline and then simply re-using the same Macguffin footage to end every episode.

"You mean the importing of G1 to Japan, right?"

Um, not really...considering the whole ideology was originally created IN JAPAN as Microman and Diaclone. The idea of transforming robot toys was popular with kids in Japan, and the show was created afterwards to help provide a small boost to sales.
Upon import to America, however, the toys proved to not be so much of a hit with our slightly-less-fascinated-with-technology kids and the show was used (in typical American media-saturating fashion) to push the toys, including the addition of new characters, new series, and re-dubbing for more interesting dialogue.

And yes, I agree with that last part...importing people like Rodimus and Ironhide as cameos in Animated actually lessed the show a bit for me. I much preferred it the way it was...as a small core of central characters who progress and grow throughout the show. They could have just as easily introduced NEW characters to fill the same purpose...but chose instead to try and re-saturate us with old characters.
"Bah Weep Grahna Weep Ninnee Bong"
"Now, without making any sudden movements, offer them an Energon Goodie..."
DJrasmo
Minibot
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:14 pm
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Rank: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby Shadowman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:50 am

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
DJrasmo wrote:"MacGuffin = plot device. Whereas a Deus Ex Machina is a plot device that ends the story, a MacGuffin is a plot device that pushes the story forward."

Congrats on your dictionary nazism...but I was simply referring to a "macguffin" in the stereotypical sense of a recurring plot device that means InstaJib For The Win...such as the Allspark Key in Animated, Voltron forming together, or Prince Adam becoming He-Man.


First off, great job on fulfilling Godwin's Law.

Second, what you're describing, (And I'm assuming you mean InstaGib) an action that frequently signals the end of fighting, is a Deus Ex Machina. The key is called a MacGuffin because it would just as often kick off the plot as it would end it, for instance, when it created Soundwave.

DJrasmo wrote:"You mean the importing of G1 to Japan, right?"

Um, not really...considering the whole ideology was originally created IN JAPAN as Microman and Diaclone. The idea of transforming robot toys was popular with kids in Japan, and the show was created afterwards to help provide a small boost to sales.


The concept of transforming robots originated in Japan, yes, but the characters, story, hell, the entirety of the fiction (At least up until Headmasters) originated in the US. It's kind of like saying Super Mario Bros. was imported from the US to Japan because the US invented video games first.

DJrasmo wrote:the show was used (in typical American media-saturating fashion) to push the toys, including the addition of new characters, new series, and re-dubbing for more interesting dialogue.


We're still talking about G1, right? Because G1 was neither dubbed nor re-dubbed for the US.

DJrasmo wrote:I much preferred it the way it was...as a small core of central characters who progress and grow throughout the show. They could have just as easily introduced NEW characters to fill the same purpose...


Which is exactly what Beast Wars did...

DJrasmo wrote:but chose instead to try and re-saturate us with old characters.


Because as much as this thread is asking for the contrary, the vast majority of viewers and watchers and readers don't want to get rid of Optimus and Megatron.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28824
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby Dead Metal » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:59 pm

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
DJrasmo wrote:Beast Wars being "fail" is simply an expression of my own opinion. As 3rd grade dictionary learnin' taught us, an "opinion" is not a "fact", and therefore wether or not BW "fails" cannot be proved or disproved as true/false.

DJrasmo wrote:Congrats on your dictionary nazism


"You mean the importing of G1 to Japan, right?"

Um, not really...considering the whole ideology was originally created IN JAPAN as Microman and Diaclone. The idea of transforming robot toys was popular with kids in Japan, and the show was created afterwards to help provide a small boost to sales.
Upon import to America, however, the toys proved to not be so much of a hit with our slightly-less-fascinated-with-technology kids and the show was used (in typical American media-saturating fashion) to push the toys, including the addition of new characters, new series, and re-dubbing for more interesting dialogue.

That is all utter BS.
Hasbro bought the rights to sell the toys in America and their other markets.
Then they went and asked Marvel Comics to create all the fiction (comics, cartoon, character bios and names) to better market them to kids, something almost every toy line did back then, oh and it was also done as a bit of an answer to the GoBots.

All Takara did was design the original toys, then after seeing how successful Transformers was in the US they killed the original lines, and imported the Transformers.
And no G1 is not anime, save for the stuff produced in Japan like Zone, Headmasters, etc.

That's basic Transformers knowledge.
And yes, I agree with that last part...importing people like Rodimus and Ironhide as cameos in Animated actually lessed the show a bit for me. I much preferred it the way it was...as a small core of central characters who progress and grow throughout the show. They could have just as easily introduced NEW characters to fill the same purpose...but chose instead to try and re-saturate us with old characters.

Team Rodimus was introduced in Season 3 so that they could later take over the show for the fourth and final season, Rodimus was supposed to be the "Chosen One" in this and become the hero at the end. But those plans died when Hasbro terminated their partnership with CN to focus more on the Hub and TF Prime. A lot of footage was cut from Animated season 3 that was meant to lead into Season 4.
Being such a large Animated fan you should know this.

Also Optimus was a completely different character in this, sharing only the name and basic character design. There will always be an Optimus and a Megatron in some way, Hasbro wants to protect their Trademarks after all.
Also Animated was also made to sell toys, just here the show was developed at the same time as the toys. The toys only got delayed because Hasbro and toy retailers wanted more of that sweet sweet Movie toys cash.

It is also weird that you bring Animated up as an example of a show that has nothing in common with the old stuff and is so "fanboi" unfriendly.

Animated was the definition of fanwank, almost everything in there was there to appeal to fans, mostly due tot he guys behind it being fans themselves, Isenberg to a much lesser extent though.
Image


Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
User avatar
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13780
News Credits: 34
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:18 am

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby Shadowman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Dead Metal wrote:Team Rodimus was introduced in Season 3 so that they could later take over the show for the fourth and final season, Rodimus was supposed to be the "Chosen One" in this and become the hero at the end.


I actually didn't know that, I knew there was going to be some of a cast change up in the next season, like Ironhide and jazz taking the places of Bulkhead and Prowl on Team Optimus.

Dead Metal wrote:But those plans died when Hasbro terminated their partnership with CN to focus more on the Hub and TF Prime. A lot of footage was cut from Animated season 3 that was meant to lead into Season 4.
Being such a large Animated fan you should know this.


The way I heard it, it was done so as not to deflect attention away from Revenge of the Fallen.

Dead Metal wrote:Also Animated was also made to sell toys, just here the show was developed at the same time as the toys. The toys only got delayed because Hasbro and toy retailers wanted more of that sweet sweet Movie toys cash.


The writers are on record saying that if they had known Laserbeak transformed into a guitar for Soundwave, they'd have included it in Soundwave's first appearance.

Dead Metal wrote:It is also weird that you bring Animated up as an example of a show that has nothing in common with the old stuff and is so "fanboi" unfriendly.


Animated did do a few things differently; a more realistically futuristic environment with a greater emphasis on robotics, more prominent human villains, most characters were given entirely new characterizations, etc.

But yeah, the show itself was all about the G1 references, as many as they could pack in per episode, stuff only the long-time fans would catch. Even getting as many voice actors to reprise their roles as they can. (Corey Burton voicing Shockwave and Spike, Susan Blu voicing Arcee, Judd Nelson voicing Rodimus, etc. etc.)
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28824
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby Dead Metal » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:18 pm

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
Shadowman wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:But those plans died when Hasbro terminated their partnership with CN to focus more on the Hub and TF Prime. A lot of footage was cut from Animated season 3 that was meant to lead into Season 4.
Being such a large Animated fan you should know this.


The way I heard it, it was done so as not to deflect attention away from Revenge of the Fallen.

They terminated their contract with Cartoon Network, with whom they had an exclusive working agreement with, CN also produced the Unicron trilogy, adding to that they stated they wanted to do their own thing or soemthing the like so I say it's safe to say that it was in favour of the Hub. Especially since the Hub deputed just a year after the CN partnership ended.

Dead Metal wrote:Also Animated was also made to sell toys, just here the show was developed at the same time as the toys. The toys only got delayed because Hasbro and toy retailers wanted more of that sweet sweet Movie toys cash.


The writers are on record saying that if they had known Laserbeak transformed into a guitar for Soundwave, they'd have included it in Soundwave's first appearance.
[/quote]
They also said that about Oil Slick, thing is though that the character models and the toys where designed at almost the same time, the designs would be sent to Hasbro and then changed should they not work as toys, that's how Prowls wheels ended up in his legs.
The TFA team probably didn't even think of using Laserbeak, and Hasbro just thought of saving the name, plus that mistake was taken care of later with electrostatic Soundwave and his Ratbat appearing in an episode before the toy got cancelled.

Dead Metal wrote:It is also weird that you bring Animated up as an example of a show that has nothing in common with the old stuff and is so "fanboi" unfriendly.


Animated did do a few things differently; a more realistically futuristic environment with a greater emphasis on robotics, more prominent human villains, most characters were given entirely new characterizations, etc.

But yeah, the show itself was all about the G1 references, as many as they could pack in per episode, stuff only the long-time fans would catch. Even getting as many voice actors to reprise their roles as they can. (Corey Burton voicing Shockwave and Spike, Susan Blu voicing Arcee, Judd Nelson voicing Rodimus, etc. etc.)[/quote]
Shockwave was put in due to Corey Burton telling the team how he was his favourite character and how he would love to reprise the role.
Don't forget Fanwank the episode, Wreck-Gar or the not-Maximals.
Image


Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
User avatar
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
Posts: 13780
News Credits: 34
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:18 am

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby Random » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm going to take this from where the current comics are headed:

If so many Cybertronians are scattered all over the universe, why are we not aware of their stories? Something had to happen. There has to be some kind of material there.

Make a show based on them and I'd give it a shot.
Random
Vehicon
Posts: 363
News Credits: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:37 pm

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby Noideaforaname » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:13 pm

I'd love something like DC Nation's shorts starring lesser-known characters.
Krazy 'bout Kreons
Customs // Photos // Art // Parts Database
User avatar
Noideaforaname
Gestalt
Posts: 2259
News Credits: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby OptiMagnus » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:28 pm

Motto: ""Close your mouth and open your mind.""
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Does it actually matter what I think of a new generation of Transformers? I'm not a true fan already, so embracing that would be lighting TNT in the hole I dug myself in by liking the movies. A new generation of Transformers is a change, and therefore inherently evil. Right?

Here's the deal: I remember discussing this a looooooooong time ago, and I said I would love to see something totally new. However, I think "the fans" would find it completely repulsive because it would have absolutely no character connections with G1, possibly worse than the complaints about the movie characters compared to their G1 counterparts. It would probably start more flame wars over...names. I would personally enjoy a whole new generation of characters rebuilt from the bottom up, but I just see fuel for trolls and death threats to the writers. Maybe I'm paranoid, but you can't say this won't happen. The movies took enough crap from the new aesthetic and changing alt-modes and colors alone, so what would happen if the current basis is scrapped and something new is put there?
Please note: If you think I may be joking, I probably am.
User avatar
OptiMagnus
Gestalt
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:03 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Watch OptiMagnus on YouTube
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 4
Rank: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 6

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby G1 Smoketreader » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Motto: "Continue building from within,attack your designated target,defend everyone."
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
Yes from me.

I like the idea mentioned of Optimus (or even Rodimus) appearing as an academy head somewhere, but that's not exactly necessary, tho it would be nice.

I would very much enjoy seeing a new colony of TFs or a group of either hatchlings or protoforms within a seperate colony setting out just to explore- no need to run into any Megatron or threat of another ressurected Unicron, tho ruins from past Unicron battles,Beast Wars and Beast machines battles and so on shouldn't need to never be walked by or known about.

I typed in a similar thread ages ago that the four (known) planet-key planets from Armada are good places to start something like this, and that Animated could have been the story of the rise of Ultra Magnus and some G2 bots instead of being yet another rewrite of the rewrite of the perfectly excellent Orion Pax story.
"Everyone has a hobby.Even people who say they don't still have one under another name.If we're sick,injured, we still go to it and get down to see how it is.If it needs something, we bring it,make sure the attention is perfect.It exercises our care and protection and gives us back philosophies.It's a living thing to us,and is the most perfect way to teach a young person how to be towards a living thing. It's something that should never be taken away."
-my Wife
G1 Smoketreader
Headmaster Jr
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:54 am
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 8
Endurance: 8
Rank: 10+
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby -Kanrabat- » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:10 am

Motto: "I will be your blade. I will be your shield."
Weapon: Armor Axe
LordScourge wrote:I'm sure it was done with Beast Wars and what not but I'm talking about a Transformers series that's about two completely different factions from the Autobots and Decepticons. I'm not suggesting factions descended from the two and inherited the roles of Autobots and Decepticons either I'm refering to another war breaking out generations after the war between Autobots and Decepticons and just to switch things up some of the Protagonists could be descended(or created from) from Megatron (this would be the main character), Starcream, Soundwave etc... as well as Autobots and the main villain and his lackey's could be descended or created from Optimus and other autobots as well as Decepticons.

Also with this idea the Two main characters aren't named after Optimus and Megatron (I think that would be a little awkward given the lineage)


You know, it somehow already happenned around 25 years ago.

You should defenitely take a look at Transformers Masterforce. It's a Japan exclusive series from the late 1980's. The action take place on Earth, when the :BOT: and :CON: left the planet to continue their war in space. Optimus Prime is dead at that time.

The main protagonists are a bunch of kids that become the heads of ancient Transtechtor bodies that were found hidden on earth. The leader, Ginrai, found a body that is some kind of Optimus Prime hommage. They are mentored by a few :BOT: pretenders. Giant robots that transform in planes and such that somehow, succeed at disguising themselves as normal humans!

Of course, some bad guys stayed behind, who are litterally monsters.

Check out the few videos below. If you want to see the whole thing, fansubs should be easely found.

Opening and closing credits:


Here's the Youtube link for the first part of episode one.
You should normally be able to find the rest on your own. Enjoy!

WHO IS MOTHER?
Image
Click HERE to find out!

My other customs:
TRASH TALK and HOT AIR!
Also, see the Seeker Brothers, APETIMUS SUPREME, PYROFLASH, and RUSTBUCKET.
User avatar
-Kanrabat-
Gestalt
Posts: 2412
News Credits: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Canada, province of Québec
Buy from -Kanrabat- on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10
Rank: 4
Courage: 9
Firepower: 3
Skill: 6

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby sto_vo_kor_2000 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Motto: "Today is a good day to die......but the day is not yet over!"
DJrasmo wrote:Yes, Yes, a thousand times YES.

The reason G1-Movie-G2 torch passing didnt work was it wasn't handled the right way. It was like all of a sudden "BAM!" lots of dead old guys..."BAM!" lots of new guys...and a lot of stuff crammed down our throats as viewers (and consumers) made the whole thing feel "forced".

I can agree with you there

2. Smooth transition from "last-gen" to "next-gen". The movie and G2 failed at this, and Animated did okay...turning Ratchet into a "Kup-esque" character and constantly reminiscing about the Great War was a great bit...but it was totally washed by having ANOTHER Optimus Prime paradoxically present.

what other Optimus are you talking about?

3. Re-invent, but dont OVER-reinvent. AkA "The reason Beast Wars failed".


Beast Wars far from failed.

I know...this reverses everything that Transformers has ever been based on since the importing of G1 from Japan..


G1, as a franchise, was not imported from Japan.Toys from a few unconected toylines were imported from Japan, but the concept that became G1 is American made.
Predaprince wrote:I am very thankful to have posters like sto_vo_kor_2000 who is so energetic about improving others' understanding and enjoyment of the TF universe
Stormrider wrote:You often add interesting insights to conversations that makes the fledglings think and challenges even the sharpest minds

T-Macksimus wrote:I consider you and editor to be amongst the most "scholarly" in terms of your knowledge, demeanor and general approach

Image
sto_vo_kor_2000
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6930
News Credits: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:01 am

Re: Would you be okay with a Transformers series that was about a new generation of Transformers?

Postby Shadowman » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:30 pm

Motto: "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I sure as hell won't."
Man, sto, you are way late to the party here. I already made a few of the points you did.

Somehow I missed that he keeps referring to Season 3 as G2, though.
Sidekick= Saiya_Maximal
Steam Nickname: Big Chief Devil Hawk Fireball
Image
Shadowman's awesome site for cool people.
Shadowman's awesome comic for cool people.
"Falling is really just flying downward and out of control."
Wigglez wrote:Just remember. The sword is an extension of your arm. Use it as if you're going to karate chop someone with your really long sharp ass hand.
User avatar
Shadowman
God Of Transformers
Posts: 28824
News Credits: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:54 pm
Location: Look! A distraction!

Next

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #98 - Combiner Wars
Twincast / Podcast #98:
"Combiner Wars"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, August 14th, 2014