Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert

Transformers News: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert

Thursday, December 13th, 2012 8:44AM CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 17,468

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Courtesy of Alfes 2010 by way of the Planet Iacon facebook page we have our first in-hand images of Takara Tomy's Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert. As you can see in the images mirrored below he sports a new head mold and wheels on the outside of his shoulders..

In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert

In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert

In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert

In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert

In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert
Credit(s): Alfes 2010, Planet Iacon
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1446255)
Posted by GuyIncognito on December 13th, 2012 @ 9:02am CST
Very nice. I'm more interested in this than Lambor/Sideswipe.
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1446267)
Posted by SLUGSLINGER81 on December 13th, 2012 @ 9:39am CST
I have Sideswipe and its probably one of my top 10 TF molds, again the only downside was no rubber tires but I am overall happy with these molds :michaelbay: ...cant wait for the MP G2 Sideswipe, IMO theres nothing sexier than an all black TF...on a sidenote, I always found it hilarious that the fire chief drove a Lambo...that was one well funded fire dept. :lol:
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1446320)
Posted by mooncake623 on December 13th, 2012 @ 1:40pm CST
I can't tell is this a new head mold?
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1446336)
Posted by GuyIncognito on December 13th, 2012 @ 2:43pm CST
mooncake623 wrote:I can't tell is this a new head mold?


El Duque wrote:As you can see in the images mirrored below he sports a new head mold ...
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1446341)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on December 13th, 2012 @ 2:57pm CST
God, I love those sparks on his head. :lol:
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1446363)
Posted by RAcast on December 13th, 2012 @ 4:47pm CST
GuyIncognito wrote:
mooncake623 wrote:I can't tell is this a new head mold?


El Duque wrote:As you can see in the images mirrored below he sports a new head mold ...

I love how good people are at reading. :lol:
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1446371)
Posted by Arctorro on December 13th, 2012 @ 5:12pm CST
I've got Sideswipe and he is one of my favorite toys of all time! Really want Red Alert as well, but with all the 3P and MP toys being released in the next few months I just can't justify such an expensive remold :-( Especially if I want all of Soundwave's cassettes =P~
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1446383)
Posted by joesaysso on December 13th, 2012 @ 5:49pm CST
When it comes to MPs, I'd rather have screen accuracy than G1 toy accuracy. In the case of Red Alert, if I had to sacrifice some accuracy, I'd rather have the black head than the red thighs with purple accents on the shins. I'm hoping Hasbro comes through with a better deco. The legs on this figure are completely destroying my interest in it.
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1446485)
Posted by Mykltron on December 14th, 2012 @ 4:52am CST
joesaysso wrote:When it comes to MPs, I'd rather have screen accuracy than G1 toy accuracy.

I agree. If I wanted G1 toy accuracy I'd buy the G1 toy.

I've got Sideswipe, he's amazing and I'll stick with him.
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1446490)
Posted by Arctorro on December 14th, 2012 @ 5:16am CST
Mykltron wrote:
joesaysso wrote:When it comes to MPs, I'd rather have screen accuracy than G1 toy accuracy.

I agree. If I wanted G1 toy accuracy I'd buy the G1 toy.

I've got Sideswipe, he's amazing and I'll stick with him.


Wasn't screen accuracy the entire point of the MP line? The toys were good, but often looked very little or nothing like there show version so we collectors got this line to give us that show accuracy we always wanted.
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1507818)
Posted by Dean ML on July 30th, 2013 @ 11:02am CDT
Arctorro wrote:
Mykltron wrote:
joesaysso wrote:When it comes to MPs, I'd rather have screen accuracy than G1 toy accuracy.

I agree. If I wanted G1 toy accuracy I'd buy the G1 toy.

I've got Sideswipe, he's amazing and I'll stick with him.


Wasn't screen accuracy the entire point of the MP line? The toys were good, but often looked very little or nothing like there show version so we collectors got this line to give us that show accuracy we always wanted.


Anyone have any shots of a custom MP Red Alert with silver thighs, like his feet and forearms? Too chicken and inexperienced to try it on mine. Think I'd rather leave my MPs unmodded.

Blows my mind that Takara gave him red thighs.
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1507852)
Posted by Cyberpath on July 30th, 2013 @ 1:46pm CDT
Unfortunately I missed out on both Red Alert & Sideswipe (hopefully there will be a second production run like with the MP-13.)

The red thighs aren't the only inaccuracy: in the cartoon, unlike Sideswipe, Red's shoulders were big wheels, and the car doors were not attached to his forearms.

Image


But from the pictures I've seen he looks great regardless. And I want one.

I think the wide hood chest in robot mode actually works better on Red than on Sideswipe. 'Swipe had a more athletic body on the show, while Floro Dery designed the second season Autobot cars more closely to the toys.
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1507866)
Posted by Dean ML on July 30th, 2013 @ 2:23pm CDT
Cyberpath wrote:Unfortunately I missed out on both Red Alert & Sideswipe (hopefully there will be a second production run like with the MP-13.)

The red thighs aren't the only inaccuracy: in the cartoon, unlike Sideswipe, Red's shoulders were big wheels, and the car doors were not attached to his forearms.

Image


But from the pictures I've seen he looks great regardless. And I want one.

I think the wide hood chest in robot mode actually works better on Red than on Sideswipe. 'Swipe had a more athletic body on the show, while Floro Dery designed the second season Autobot cars more closely to the toys.


Agreed about the other differences, but this guy looks so good I can forgive them (and Sunbow G1 is the be all end all in my mind - it's what made the biggest impression on me growing up). If this is as close as we'll get, fine by me.

Jump on Sideswipe and Red Alert while you can. I just got my Red from BBTS last week for $110. They might be sold out now, but I think I saw him on eBay for the same price. A second run of Sideswipe is being offered now for $80 to be released at the end of the year, but there are still some first runs available for around $100 (got mine from TFSource the other day). Learned my lesson the hard way on letting MPs pass me by. $500 for Grimlock?! Never again!!!
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1507877)
Posted by Cyberpath on July 30th, 2013 @ 3:00pm CDT
Dean ML wrote:Agreed about the other differences, but this guy looks so good I can forgive them (and Sunbow G1 is the be all end all in my mind - it's what made the biggest impression on me growing up). If this is as close as we'll get, fine by me.

Jump on Sideswipe and Red Alert while you can. I just got my Red from BBTS last week for $110. They might be sold out now, but I think I saw him on eBay for the same price. A second run of Sideswipe is being offered now for $80 to be released at the end of the year, but there are still some first runs available for around $100 (got mine from TFSource the other day). Learned my lesson the hard way on letting MPs pass me by. $500 for Grimlock?! Never again!!!

Oh, absolutely, the Sunbow series is the best. They'll never be able to replicate or outdo it. It's so good. I still watch it, and impressed anew every time with Floro's designs & the colour schemes; the beautiful art & bright colours; the dynamic hand-drawn animation (some episodes more than others); the writing; the characters; the iconic voice actors... fantastic fantastic fantastic!

No wonder the Masterpiece line is so popular.

I just can't relate to Manga or 3D animation, or the skeletal over-detailed designs of the live action movies.


It's kind of hard for me to spend $100+ on one of the cars when I know they were originally sold for about $50 in Japan. Fingers crossed they'll do 'nother round of Red, too.

(and $500?? wow!)
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1507885)
Posted by Dean ML on July 30th, 2013 @ 3:26pm CDT
Cyberpath wrote: Oh, absolutely, the Sunbow series is the best. They'll never be able to replicate or outdo it. It's so good. I still watch it, and impressed anew every time with Floro's designs & the colour schemes; the beautiful art & bright colours; the dynamic hand-drawn animation (some episodes more than others); the writing; the characters; the iconic voice actors... fantastic fantastic fantastic!

No wonder the Masterpiece line is so popular.

I just can't relate to Manga or 3D animation, or the skeletal over-detailed designs of the live action movies.


It's kind of hard for me to spend $100+ on one of the cars when I know they were originally sold for about $50 in Japan. Fingers crossed they'll do 'nother round of Red, too.

(and $500?? wow!)


Hey, I'm a 34 year old teacher, husband, and father of two children and I watch at least one G1 episode nearly every day! Usually while I'm working out before anyone else is up. Can't really articulate my infatuation with the show, but it was such a huge part of my elementary years and so much of the mythology and great characters still fascinate me as an adult. I often skip over the hack work of the AKOM episodes, though. Just started watching the three Japanese G1 seasons and it's like it's new all over again. The animation in Masterforce and Victory is often on par or better than Transformers: The Movie. Plus it was great to finally see Headmaster, Targetmaster, and Pretendor TFs, among others that I have fond memories of, on the screen.

$100 is steep for anything for me, but I had a huge TF movie figure collection (the movies brought me back to TFs), and as much as I enjoyed them, MPs are what I really wanted. They were the real Transformers, y'know? So I sold my entire collection, sold a few more things around the house, and will soon have a (what I consider to be) complete MP collection. Best hobby related decision I've ever made. MPs only from here on out. Quality over quantity!
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1507897)
Posted by REMINATOR on July 30th, 2013 @ 4:04pm CDT
Considering he's a repaint of MP12 Sideswipe, I totally welcome the inaccurate cartoon shoulder wheel. It looks close enough to the toon and currently is a lot better than to omit it out.

with that said, I just couldn't by pass the red thigh. This MP14 is neither show accurate nor toy accurate like G1. He's hybrid, therefore, I'm force to pass it up.
Re: In-Hand Images: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-14 Red Alert (1507913)
Posted by Cyberpath on July 30th, 2013 @ 5:44pm CDT
Dean ML wrote:Hey, I'm a 34 year old teacher, husband, and father of two children and I watch at least one G1 episode nearly every day! Usually while I'm working out before anyone else is up. Can't really articulate my infatuation with the show, but it was such a huge part of my elementary years and so much of the mythology and great characters still fascinate me as an adult. I often skip over the hack work of the AKOM episodes, though. Just started watching the three Japanese G1 seasons and it's like it's new all over again. The animation in Masterforce and Victory is often on par or better than Transformers: The Movie. Plus it was great to finally see Headmaster, Targetmaster, and Pretendor TFs, among others that I have fond memories of, on the screen.

$100 is steep for anything for me, but I had a huge TF movie figure collection (the movies brought me back to TFs), and as much as I enjoyed them, MPs are what I really wanted. They were the real Transformers, y'know? So I sold my entire collection, sold a few more things around the house, and will soon have a (what I consider to be) complete MP collection. Best hobby related decision I've ever made. MPs only from here on out. Quality over quantity!
Same here!


The AKOM animation wasn't nearly as dynamic and polished as Toei, it was rather... schematic. But it still had a certain charm. :)
It was interesting to see different styles.

I tried watching some of the Japanese shows years ago, but the writing style and limited animation (and in later shows, the design aesthetics) put me off.

May be drifting off-topic here, but what I would love to see is a new American series, hand-drawn like "Young Justice", starring only new characters & character names -- no Primes, no Megatrons, no Starscreams, Bumblebees, etc. It's not likely to happen since Hasbro will understandably keep making money off these characters by coming up with new iterations of them, but it would be unpredictable and fun to see.


REMINATOR wrote:Considering he's a repaint of MP12 Sideswipe, I totally welcome the inaccurate cartoon shoulder wheel. It looks close enough to the toon and currently is a lot better than to omit it out.

with that said, I just couldn't by pass the red thigh. This MP14 is neither show accurate nor toy accurate like G1. He's hybrid, therefore, I'm force to pass it up.
I'm not a toy maker so I don't know, but I assume these toys start out as computer 3D models; and ultimately a mold/prototype is "printed" in a 3D printer? So wouldn't it have been fairly easy for Takara to create Red Alert with wheels-for-shoulders, regardless of Sideswipe?
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #90 - Dark Scorponok
Twincast / Podcast #90:
"Dark Scorponok"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, April 7th, 2014