Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts

Transformers News: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts

Friday, February 1st, 2013 7:58PM CST

Categories: Comic Book News, Interviews
Posted by: Blurrz   Views: 29,893

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

If you're a fan of IDW Transformers Robots In Disguise, Transformers More Than Meets The Eye, or both, then you might be interested in what Multiversity Comics has cooked up. Chad Bowers was able to get a very detailed interview in with John Barber, writer for RID, and James Roberts, writer for MTMTE. It has been roughly a year since both series started, and this interview provides insight on what their creators have planned for the future, and what they've thought about the past. Check out an excerpt below, while the entire interview is available at Multiversity.

Congratulations, guys, on an amazing first year! But before we gush too much about the here and now, let’s start at the beginning… or the end of the previous series, rather. Walk us through the close of the last Transformers ongoing series — essentially, why was it time to end it and launch two new titles in its place?

John Barber: Well, I wasn’t involved yet. I was a freelance writer in New York at the time — I’d just written the Transformers: Dark of the Moon prequels and adaptation for then-Transformers-editor Andy Schmidt. Andy asked me to pitch on a new Transformers series, and showed me a document that James had written, which was an outline for what basically became The Death of Optimus Prime, the debut issue we co-wrote and that spun into the two new ongoing series. It wasn’t until after we started working on those that I wound up getting hired to replace Andy (when he started working at Hasbro) and moving out to San Diego and becoming the Transformers editor at IDW. So I wasn’t there for the decision, but I think the previous series had run for almost three years at that point, and writer Mike Costa was ready to move on. So the idea of winding down the mostly-Earth-based comic and starting up with a new number one and a new creative team and direction made sense. Plus, that ongoing ended with a story called ‘Chaos’ that had two components–one taking place on Earth and one on Cybertron, and they came out biweekly, alternating stories each issue. The success of that suggested there was a market for more Transformers comics, so I think the idea of doing two ongoings came into being.

James Roberts: I don’t have much to add to that, I’m afraid! I remember that a second ongoing had been planned for some time, and that it was going to launch after ‘Chaos’, but it wasn’t until relatively late in the day — perhaps at the point that Mike decided he wanted to move on — that the decision was taken to actually close down his ongoing and launch two new titles, both from issue 1. I think there was even talk about The Death of Optimus Prime being numbered issue 125, and the numbering carrying on from there. A ‘clean’ relaunch was better, in the end.


One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts
Credit(s): Multiversity Comics, Va'al
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460249)
Posted by sabrigami on February 1st, 2013 @ 8:19pm CST
Words cannot express how much I want this now. Rung is the epitomes of awesome =P~ Hmm, makes me wonder what whirl would look like as a human... I hate Roberts though. He will probably make me love these guys more than I already do. Then at the end of the month murder my faves brutally. The worst part is, he will make me like it too
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460255)
Posted by Blurrz on February 1st, 2013 @ 9:02pm CST
sabrigami wrote:Words cannot express how much I want this now. Rung is the epitomes of awesome =P~ Hmm, makes me wonder what whirl would look like as a human... I hate Roberts though. He will probably make me love these guys more than I already do. Then at the end of the month murder my faves brutally. The worst part is, he will make me like it too


Holy shit I did not realize that the cover was them in human form. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460256)
Posted by #Sideways# on February 1st, 2013 @ 9:11pm CST
It isn't. It is their Holomatter representations.

Am I the only one wondering why Magnus chose to have his holomatter avatar to be so... Feminine?
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460258)
Posted by Blurrz on February 1st, 2013 @ 9:16pm CST
Ah, explains Verity's legs being invis there. Verity and Mags have some sort of friendship, so that's why.
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460260)
Posted by quickmixed on February 1st, 2013 @ 9:22pm CST
Blurrz wrote:Ah, explains Verity's legs being invis there. Verity and Mags have some sort of friendship, so that's why.


Yeah, I'm not sure if it was ever explained how Verity ended up on Magnus's ship at the start of LSOTW but the two do share a connection of some sort. And (unless I've missed it) I'm surprised that Roberts hasnt name dropped her in MTMTE.

This interview was a great read. Both writers have an incredible amount of respect for each other and their artists and it shows on the printed page. Here's to 2013!
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460313)
Posted by Va'al on February 2nd, 2013 @ 5:23am CST
#Sideways# wrote:It isn't. It is their Holomatter representations.

Am I the only one wondering why Magnus chose to have his holomatter avatar to be so... Feminine?


Personally, I quite like the gender-reversal.
There also seem to be elements of counterbalance, with Verity being much less law-abiding than Magnus, for example.

Really looking forward to this issue.

(And Swerve just looks the same! It's uncanny!)
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460344)
Posted by REMINATOR on February 2nd, 2013 @ 8:25am CST
#Sideways# wrote:Am I the only one wondering why Magnus chose to have his holomatter avatar to be so... Feminine?

Yeah, that was my first impression too. If anything, I thought he was the guy with the suit. Even that, I would've pictured he would choose something more like a police officer or agent Smith type of the Matrix. I quit IDW after Infiltration and Escalation so I don't know what's their relationship are.
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460361)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on February 2nd, 2013 @ 10:38am CST
So who's avatar is in the suit? Is that supposed to be Hot Rod? Never pictured him in a suit.

Anyway, did anyone else catch that bit about them trying to put "in continuity" comics in the Generations toy line? I feel like I must have interpreted that wrong. Thoughts?
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460369)
Posted by timcourtois on February 2nd, 2013 @ 11:34am CST
Nemesis Maximo, I saw that too! Between that, and the recent picture of that IDW-ish Prime on the advertisement for Toy Fair, it sounds more and more like the Generations toyline is going to be releasing IDW-based toys.
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460380)
Posted by Va'al on February 2nd, 2013 @ 12:00pm CST
Nemesis Maximo wrote:So who's avatar is in the suit? Is that supposed to be Hot Rod? Never pictured him in a suit.


I believe that to be Skids, personally.
All the Cybertronian modes are in the background, on the right-hand side.
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460392)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on February 2nd, 2013 @ 12:57pm CST
Va'al wrote:
Nemesis Maximo wrote:So who's avatar is in the suit? Is that supposed to be Hot Rod? Never pictured him in a suit.


I believe that to be Skids, personally.
All the Cybertronian modes are in the background, on the right-hand side.

Now that you say it, I could see it being Skids.

Also, if it is indeed true that we will be getting IDW based action figures, I say bring on Jhiaxus! 8)
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460394)
Posted by Likov Stas on February 2nd, 2013 @ 1:14pm CST
Over Rewind's shoulder (in the background) you can see some vorlon from Babylon 5
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460409)
Posted by sabrigami on February 2nd, 2013 @ 3:56pm CST
timcourtois wrote:Nemesis Maximo, I saw that too! Between that, and the recent picture of that IDW-ish Prime on the advertisement for Toy Fair, it sounds more and more like the Generations toyline is going to be releasing IDW-based toys.


Man I hope that's true. I need Rung so bad. not to mention swerve, Tailgate and Whirl (the upcoming combiner version doesn't count)
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460410)
Posted by Va'al on February 2nd, 2013 @ 4:01pm CST
sabrigami wrote:
timcourtois wrote:Nemesis Maximo, I saw that too! Between that, and the recent picture of that IDW-ish Prime on the advertisement for Toy Fair, it sounds more and more like the Generations toyline is going to be releasing IDW-based toys.


Man I hope that's true. I need Rung so bad. not to mention swerve, Tailgate and Whirl (the upcoming combiner version doesn't count)


Tarn Tarn Tarn Tarn Tarn.
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460477)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on February 2nd, 2013 @ 10:00pm CST
Va'al wrote:
sabrigami wrote:
timcourtois wrote:Nemesis Maximo, I saw that too! Between that, and the recent picture of that IDW-ish Prime on the advertisement for Toy Fair, it sounds more and more like the Generations toyline is going to be releasing IDW-based toys.


Man I hope that's true. I need Rung so bad. not to mention swerve, Tailgate and Whirl (the upcoming combiner version doesn't count)


Tarn Tarn Tarn Tarn Tarn.

Not to mention TakTom's Ratbat, which will hopefully be seeing a U.S. release.
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460605)
Posted by Flashwave on February 3rd, 2013 @ 12:05pm CST
So, am I the only one who thought it was cool they pulled Fred out of Armada and gave hima wickid surfboard?

Also, why I wonder is Verity a hologram? (see the base of her legs, and the light distortion art there. Curious to see what the humanoid space hub is all about, actually.
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460635)
Posted by Va'al on February 3rd, 2013 @ 2:10pm CST
Flashwave wrote:So, am I the only one who thought it was cool they pulled Fred out of Armada and gave hima wickid surfboard?

Also, why I wonder is Verity a hologram? (see the base of her legs, and the light distortion art there. Curious to see what the humanoid space hub is all about, actually.


I believe they are all holograms. Or projections of some sorts.
The planet seems to be restricted to non-Cybertronians, judging by the cover, so they get past that by using human projections of themselves.

At least, that's my idea. And I have none about why this is the case. :D
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460817)
Posted by Blurrz on February 4th, 2013 @ 3:25pm CST
So MTMTE #13 is the funniest thing ever. Review and Preview inc 10 hours :D
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460819)
Posted by sabrigami on February 4th, 2013 @ 3:28pm CST
Blurrz wrote:So MTMTE #13 is the funniest thing ever. Review and Preview inc 10 hours :D


Why do you tease me? :evil: I want this so bad I can taste it and you're reminding me I have longer to wait :sad: Glad it's worth it though.
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460822)
Posted by Blurrz on February 4th, 2013 @ 3:29pm CST
- There's RodimusxDrift esque fanfiction like wtf?
- Verity :D
- Magnus gets drunk.
- Rung says a phrase and it made me laugh forever.
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460823)
Posted by sabrigami on February 4th, 2013 @ 3:33pm CST
Blurrz wrote:- There's RodimusxDrift esque fanfiction like wtf?
- Verity :D
- Magnus gets drunk.
- Rung says a phrase and it made me laugh forever.


Gosh, and I was just hooked on the fact there were human interpretations of the chars. I want it even more :x Wed can't be here soon enough. Does Whirl get an avatar?
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460824)
Posted by Blurrz on February 4th, 2013 @ 3:33pm CST
Yup, the only other avatar that is a girl LOL
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460825)
Posted by sabrigami on February 4th, 2013 @ 3:35pm CST
Blurrz wrote:Yup, the only other avatar that is a girl LOL


Squeee!! :BOOM: My life is complete. Fave issue of all time. I'm calling it now
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460828)
Posted by Blurrz on February 4th, 2013 @ 3:53pm CST
Spotlight Megatron comes out this Wednesday too, and it is also a beauty.
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460830)
Posted by sabrigami on February 4th, 2013 @ 3:59pm CST
Blurrz wrote:Spotlight Megatron comes out this Wednesday too, and it is also a beauty.


More Roche goodness mmmmmmm :x yeah, I tried to convinve myself to save money but I'm just going to have to buy more than one version of each. they are so worth it.
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460842)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on February 4th, 2013 @ 5:42pm CST
Blurrz wrote:- There's RodimusxDrift esque fanfiction like wtf?

Should that scare me as much as it does? Because I'm kinda scared. :shock:
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460844)
Posted by Blurrz on February 4th, 2013 @ 5:47pm CST
Nemesis Maximo wrote:
Blurrz wrote:- There's RodimusxDrift esque fanfiction like wtf?

Should that scare me as much as it does? Because I'm kinda scared. :shock:


There's a panel or two that is just extremely awkward (funny)
Re: One Year Later - Interview with IDW RID's Barber and MTMTE's Roberts (1460858)
Posted by sabrigami on February 4th, 2013 @ 6:40pm CST
Blurrz wrote:
Nemesis Maximo wrote:
Blurrz wrote:- There's RodimusxDrift esque fanfiction like wtf?

Should that scare me as much as it does? Because I'm kinda scared. :shock:


There's a panel or two that is just extremely awkward (funny)


lol. heavan knows it's probably true a little bit.
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #96 - Age of Extinction
Twincast / Podcast #96:
"Age of Extinction"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, July 7th, 2014