Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons

Transformers News: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons

Saturday, February 2nd, 2013 4:40PM CST

Categories: Reviews, Sponsor News, Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 31,043

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Site sponsor Kapow! Toys has shared a video review of Takara Tomy's Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons. The set is made up of TG-03 Blast Off, TG-04 Vortex, TG-05 Brawl, TG-06 Swindle, and TG-07 Onslaught and feature the line's signature shiny metallic decos. Check out the review by our own Transformermegazord embedded below, and visit Kapow! Toys to order your set.

Credit(s): Kapow! Toys
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1460455)
Posted by jgilkinson on February 2nd, 2013 @ 8:47pm CST
Great review. I haven't imported any of the FoC line yet but will be doing it on these figures... Hasbro's version doesn't even come close :APPLAUSE:
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1460462)
Posted by Gearslide on February 2nd, 2013 @ 9:13pm CST
Just so people are clear, the SDCC Combaticons have Game based (except for Onslaught) decos, while the Takara Combaticons have Concept Art based decos. Blast Off does not actually have all of that Black in the game, but does in the Concept Art.

Onslaught's the Odd-ball of the bunch though. The SDCC version is that weird brown color so that when he's in Bruticus mode, it looks more game accurate...but the Takara version looks even more accurate even though the deco is focused on Onslaught's colors and not Bruticus'.

And how come Blast Off and Onslaught don't have that Metallic sheen that the other three do? Not that I'm complaining, since I order the Takara Onslaught to replace my SDCC version, and he'll still match the look.
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1460484)
Posted by KNM2012 on February 2nd, 2013 @ 10:15pm CST
I honestly have to admit that the timing of this review is brilliant for me! I just finished "reading" chapter 5 of TRANSFORMERS ALL SPARK, which yielded back to another flashback event, and they introduced... You guessed it... The Combaticons! :DANCE:

So for me, I might have to consider getting this set as their Generations line does tie into this manga series. That is, if I do not just get Ultra Magnus first. :BOT: But even then, the set look very nice. 8)
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1460530)
Posted by Transformermegazord on February 3rd, 2013 @ 2:26am CST
Gearslide wrote:Just so people are clear, the SDCC Combaticons have Game based (except for Onslaught) decos, while the Takara Combaticons have Concept Art based decos. Blast Off does not actually have all of that Black in the game, but does in the Concept Art.

Onslaught's the Odd-ball of the bunch though. The SDCC version is that weird brown color so that when he's in Bruticus mode, it looks more game accurate...but the Takara version looks even more accurate even though the deco is focused on Onslaught's colors and not Bruticus'.

And how come Blast Off and Onslaught don't have that Metallic sheen that the other three do? Not that I'm complaining, since I order the Takara Onslaught to replace my SDCC version, and he'll still match the look.

Thanks for clearing that up buddy , so really the sdcc Onslaught would probably fit much better in this set ??
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1460595)
Posted by Sodan-1 on February 3rd, 2013 @ 10:48am CST
Takara really has made the best of a bad bunch. They are awesome paint-apps!

Still not sure whether or not to bother with them. I'm thinking I may get the Takara versions of Swindle, Brawl and Blast Off, and a Hasbro Vortex to repaint in G1 colours. Not going to waste import money and potentially mess it up.
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1460684)
Posted by Rated X on February 3rd, 2013 @ 8:54pm CST
Please Takara make a Vortex in proper G1 colors to complete the set and right the wrong of those god damn video game designers ! Call it a Gentai, Hentai, or whatever you want and charge $100 and Ill still buy it !!!
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1460741)
Posted by kirbenvost on February 4th, 2013 @ 9:11am CST
I think at the very least I'm going to need Onslaught to make Bruticus look decent. Brawl and Swindle also do look quite a bit better. I do like Hasbro's purple Blast Off but the brown is a more G1 accurate so I'm torn on him. And Vortex...Vortex just can't be helped in any version. I suppose I'd go with Hasbro's just so the purple can tie him in with the full combined mode a little better.
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1460785)
Posted by Delta Magnus on February 4th, 2013 @ 12:46pm CST
I really don't get all the bitching about "VORTEX ISN'T G1 ACCURATE!!!". G1 Vortex had a very dull colour scheme, the game colours are sooooooo much better. Something being G1 accurate doesn't make it better. After all, if we were going all G1 accurate, these guys would have zero articulation, stickers for detail, fragile rubber tires and flaky chrome.

I much prefer the fresh approach they've taken to the Combaticons.
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1460786)
Posted by Transformermegazord on February 4th, 2013 @ 12:58pm CST
Delta Magnus wrote:I really don't get all the bitching about "VORTEX ISN'T G1 ACCURATE!!!". G1 Vortex had a very dull colour scheme, the game colours are sooooooo much better. Something being G1 accurate doesn't make it better. After all, if we were going all G1 accurate, these guys would have zero articulation, stickers for detail, fragile rubber tires and flaky chrome.

I much prefer the fresh approach they've taken to the Combaticons.

Oh I'm not complaining about it buddy , it's just the 4 others are so close to their G1 colours I was more courious why Vortex wasn't , I love this set and think it looks great as it is I just feel a little grey may have set it off
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1460801)
Posted by kirbenvost on February 4th, 2013 @ 1:42pm CST
Delta Magnus wrote:I really don't get all the bitching about "VORTEX ISN'T G1 ACCURATE!!!". G1 Vortex had a very dull colour scheme, the game colours are sooooooo much better. Something being G1 accurate doesn't make it better. After all, if we were going all G1 accurate, these guys would have zero articulation, stickers for detail, fragile rubber tires and flaky chrome.

I much prefer the fresh approach they've taken to the Combaticons.


It's more like "the other 4 are pretty G1-accurate, so why isn't Vortex?" The names, alt-modes, color-schemes, and even bot modes (to a point) are clear homages to their G1 selves, so it's just weird that they got 4 out of 5 figures generally right. And I don't even care that much (I own Energon Bruticus too), but Vortex here just has a straight-up ugly color scheme. Heck, if he had been painted blue and yellow it would've ended up looking better.
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1460813)
Posted by KNM2012 on February 4th, 2013 @ 3:02pm CST
Delta Magnus wrote:I really don't get all the bitching about "VORTEX ISN'T G1 ACCURATE!!!". G1 Vortex had a very dull colour scheme, the game colours are sooooooo much better. Something being G1 accurate doesn't make it better. After all, if we were going all G1 accurate, these guys would have zero articulation, stickers for detail, fragile rubber tires and flaky chrome.

I much prefer the fresh approach they've taken to the Combaticons.


THANK YOU!!!

This is one of the pet peeves I had even before rejoining the site. Because I personally grew into the whole "If you do not like it, do not buy it. And if you think know a way for the company to improve their product, contact them!" philosophy. Mostly because both acts will tell them that you are an adult collector/fan. But from what I have seen in 2012, self-entitlement trumps this. I mean you can have a well-versed fan who has been following the franchise since the Micro Change/Diaclone: Car Robots days be told he is wrong on anything because the "self-entitled" member has to be right... Because he has age-old praise be his banner. Or that the person who feels entitled to post some hate calls a "HasTak" toy a "polished turd" because it is more "mature" than just saying that he simply dislikes the piece and why. :BOOM:

Sorry... That was my two cents while agreeing with what you said and how you feel. And even then, I hope to meet the fans that Peter Cullen gave praise to in his forward for the (flaws, but still entertaining) "Transformers Vault" book. :PEACE:

But even then, according to Naoto Tsushima, who is both writer and artist of the latest Japanese Generation One reboot ("TRANSFORMERS ALL SPARK"), this version of Bruticus is G1 accurate. He has made it clear that the toy molds used for TOMY's Generations line are part of the modern day G1 series. Thus, even the color scheme used is G1 accurate. So I am guessing that if they want 1984-1989(H)/1985-1992(T), they might as well be demanding color accurate bricks and Diaclone/Micro Change reissues. :lol:
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1460815)
Posted by KNM2012 on February 4th, 2013 @ 3:16pm CST
kirbenvost wrote:
Delta Magnus wrote:I really don't get all the bitching about "VORTEX ISN'T G1 ACCURATE!!!". G1 Vortex had a very dull colour scheme, the game colours are sooooooo much better. Something being G1 accurate doesn't make it better. After all, if we were going all G1 accurate, these guys would have zero articulation, stickers for detail, fragile rubber tires and flaky chrome.

I much prefer the fresh approach they've taken to the Combaticons.


It's more like "the other 4 are pretty G1-accurate, so why isn't Vortex?" The names, alt-modes, color-schemes, and even bot modes (to a point) are clear homages to their G1 selves, so it's just weird that they got 4 out of 5 figures generally right. And I don't even care that much (I own Energon Bruticus too), but Vortex here just has a straight-up ugly color scheme. Heck, if he had been painted blue and yellow it would've ended up looking better.


If you don't like TOMY's version of Vortex, then do not become a fan of ALL SPARK. It is a G1 reboot series that has their Generations line become part of this Generation 1 continuity. And while I do agree with the color being ugly, the series does trump it... To the point that if I was in Ikebukuro right now... I would have gotten Prime and Bruticus from that line at the local Toys"R"Us, just to recreate a scene from current chapter of ALL SPARK. (And I am somebody who has no intentions of buying Prime. ;) )
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1461064)
Posted by Delta Magnus on February 5th, 2013 @ 1:24pm CST
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:
Delta Magnus wrote:I really don't get all the bitching about "VORTEX ISN'T G1 ACCURATE!!!". G1 Vortex had a very dull colour scheme, the game colours are sooooooo much better. Something being G1 accurate doesn't make it better. After all, if we were going all G1 accurate, these guys would have zero articulation, stickers for detail, fragile rubber tires and flaky chrome.

I much prefer the fresh approach they've taken to the Combaticons.


THANK YOU!!!

This is one of the pet peeves I had even before rejoining the site. Because I personally grew into the whole "If you do not like it, do not buy it. And if you think know a way for the company to improve their product, contact them!" philosophy. Mostly because both acts will tell them that you are an adult collector/fan. But from what I have seen in 2012, self-entitlement trumps this. I mean you can have a well-versed fan who has been following the franchise since the Micro Change/Diaclone: Car Robots days be told he is wrong on anything because the "self-entitled" member has to be right... Because he has age-old praise be his banner. Or that the person who feels entitled to post some hate calls a "HasTak" toy a "polished turd" because it is more "mature" than just saying that he simply dislikes the piece and why. :BOOM:

Sorry... That was my two cents while agreeing with what you said and how you feel. And even then, I hope to meet the fans that Peter Cullen gave praise to in his forward for the (flaws, but still entertaining) "Transformers Vault" book. :PEACE:

But even then, according to Naoto Tsushima, who is both writer and artist of the latest Japanese Generation One reboot ("TRANSFORMERS ALL SPARK"), this version of Bruticus is G1 accurate. He has made it clear that the toy molds used for TOMY's Generations line are part of the modern day G1 series. Thus, even the color scheme used is G1 accurate. So I am guessing that if they want 1984-1989(H)/1985-1992(T), they might as well be demanding color accurate bricks and Diaclone/Micro Change reissues. :lol:


Ah, of course, I forgot that in Japan the G1 line is still technically alive...only much better than the days of conjoined legs and seats for heads.

Of course, the whole "accuracy" argument depends on what they are supposed to be accurate to, the original toyline, the cartoon, one of the various comics, the G1 manga that was exclusive to Japan (no, not Kiss Players), the newer comics, the Headmasters anime, the utterly brilliant Transformers: PD Type manga, etc...

And then we get into the "Rumble is blue and Frenzy is red" argument...

Ugh. Myself I actually really like Vortex's new colours. Whilst I do think that it was a bit odd to release 4 of the 5 in G1-ish colours and then completely change Vortex, I think that Vortex's new colours add something to the combined form.

I am very glad they gave Blastoff the coppery-gold armour as opposed to the hideous brown of the original toy. Putting aside the fact he was a space shuttle (which was itself rather odd, why didn't they make him a fighter jet or a UAV?) and his colours were not very space shuttle-y, the shade of brown just looked hideous.
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1461079)
Posted by kirbenvost on February 5th, 2013 @ 1:44pm CST
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:
kirbenvost wrote:
Delta Magnus wrote:I really don't get all the bitching about "VORTEX ISN'T G1 ACCURATE!!!". G1 Vortex had a very dull colour scheme, the game colours are sooooooo much better. Something being G1 accurate doesn't make it better. After all, if we were going all G1 accurate, these guys would have zero articulation, stickers for detail, fragile rubber tires and flaky chrome.

I much prefer the fresh approach they've taken to the Combaticons.


It's more like "the other 4 are pretty G1-accurate, so why isn't Vortex?" The names, alt-modes, color-schemes, and even bot modes (to a point) are clear homages to their G1 selves, so it's just weird that they got 4 out of 5 figures generally right. And I don't even care that much (I own Energon Bruticus too), but Vortex here just has a straight-up ugly color scheme. Heck, if he had been painted blue and yellow it would've ended up looking better.


If you don't like TOMY's version of Vortex, then do not become a fan of ALL SPARK. It is a G1 reboot series that has their Generations line become part of this Generation 1 continuity. And while I do agree with the color being ugly, the series does trump it... To the point that if I was in Ikebukuro right now... I would have gotten Prime and Bruticus from that line at the local Toys"R"Us, just to recreate a scene from current chapter of ALL SPARK. (And I am somebody who has no intentions of buying Prime. ;) )


Actually, this intrigues me. :grin: Is it a new show? Comic? Web series? Toy pack-in?
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1461102)
Posted by KNM2012 on February 5th, 2013 @ 2:51pm CST
Delta Magnus wrote:Ah, of course, I forgot that in Japan the G1 line is still technically alive...only much better than the days of conjoined legs and seats for heads.

Of course, the whole "accuracy" argument depends on what they are supposed to be accurate to, the original toyline, the cartoon, one of the various comics, the G1 manga that was exclusive to Japan (no, not Kiss Players), the newer comics, the Headmasters anime, the utterly brilliant Transformers: PD Type manga, etc...


Yeah. Five months ago, TOMY had the G1-verse rebooted for a new generation of fans, and currently have the series published in Kerokero Ace. Many older fans might be turned off by its episodic style, but I find it to be fine and hope that it gets an animated series. Which is a relief, as Hydra was said to have made a statement in regards to Professor Chase... Which has me feeling a bit confused about his own contribution, when it comes to which animated continuity he is using. :lol:

And besides, the new G1 continuity has me opting for TOMY's own "Generations" Ultra Magnus. All-in-all while disputing about getting both Prime and the Combaticons in hope of reenacting the scene that appears to be a "Optimus Prime Vs. Bruticus" event. :-?

Delta Magnus wrote:And then we get into the "Rumble is blue and Frenzy is red" argument...


Yup. I blame Sunbow for that. Because Ralph Maccio (not the Karate Kid) created Rumble and Frenzy, and had it be RIRFIB during the "limited series" portion of the Marvel franchise. Bob Budiansky, who was the editor of the time, continued that fact so things would stay consistent with the toyline. Same with Simon Furman. However, according to unconfirmed stories I have heard, Sunbow thought it might confuse kids... As in seeing Frenzy doing all the rumbling. So they swapped the names for the English dub. Takara, however, kept it consistent with the toyline.

So the answer to that argument is that fans should just stick with the version they like and accept the fact that the rest might not be the same. :lol:

Delta Magnus wrote:Ugh. Myself I actually really like Vortex's new colours. Whilst I do think that it was a bit odd to release 4 of the 5 in G1-ish colours and then completely change Vortex, I think that Vortex's new colours add something to the combined form.


Looking at it again... I do have to agree with you there. If I had the money, and was a hardcore Combaticon fan, I would make a point of having an entire shelf dedicated to their color schemes. Because what many fans did not know is that Takara did just that with both Powered Convoy and the Train Robo sets. And knowing that, it has me appreciate the different incarnations a bit more.

Delta Magnus wrote:I am very glad they gave Blastoff the coppery-gold armour as opposed to the hideous brown of the original toy. Putting aside the fact he was a space shuttle (which was itself rather odd, why didn't they make him a fighter jet or a UAV?) and his colours were not very space shuttle-y, the shade of brown just looked hideous.


I again agree with what you said, for the reasons I said above. However, my only concern is tied to durability more than the color scheme. And with some having hollow backs, it makes me prefer having an ugly color scheme more than knowing how easy it is to break them. But that is me. :PEACE:
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1461113)
Posted by KNM2012 on February 5th, 2013 @ 3:09pm CST
kirbenvost wrote:Actually, this intrigues me. :grin: Is it a new show? Comic? Web series? Toy pack-in?


It is currently a manga series that is published in Kerokero Ace. It is both written and drawn by Naoto Tsushima (The Battle of the Star Gate, Henkei! Henkei! Transformers, A Tale of the Pretenders), and is an overall reboot of the Generaion One continuity... With changes that include TOMY's Generations toyline.

It started in the November issue (October, 2012)and is very episodic. (Namely because it was aimed for a younger fanbase.) And according to TFwiki, Naoto Tsuchima has used all the original Hasbro/Marvel-based names... Save for Sideswipe, who is still Lambor. Other changes include how Spike first met the Autobots, how tough Megatron is (He had his base rise from below a city, was seen holding Optimus Prime by his head, impaled Prime with his sword, and tossing him into the Decepticon base-created chasm in the fourth chapter), how the war begun, the fact that they are treated more like organic beings (Ratchet bandaged up Jetfire in the third chapter), the fact that their Cybertron appearances were based on TOMY's Generaions (FoC) toys, and the fact that during his Cybertron days... Starscream wore glasses.

Oh... And the only thing that stayed the same was Jetfire's introduction. And even then, he was based on Classics Jetfire and not Henkei! Henkei! Skyfire. :lol:

So yeah... Unless you plan to pick up all five volumes, PM me and I will keep you up to date. That, or the very least, PM you when the first volume comes out. :D
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1461196)
Posted by Rated X on February 5th, 2013 @ 7:09pm CST
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:But even then, according to Naoto Tsushima, who is both writer and artist of the latest Japanese Generation One reboot ("TRANSFORMERS ALL SPARK"), this version of Bruticus is G1 accurate.


Maybe he is color blind.

Cartoon, toy, or 80's marvel comics, (you choose) Vortex is grey and dark blue. This FOC "reboot" id the color of puke and period blood. :SICK:
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1461231)
Posted by KNM2012 on February 5th, 2013 @ 9:09pm CST
Rated X wrote:
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:But even then, according to Naoto Tsushima, who is both writer and artist of the latest Japanese Generation One reboot ("TRANSFORMERS ALL SPARK"), this version of Bruticus is G1 accurate.


Maybe he is color blind.

Cartoon, toy, or 80's marvel comics, (you choose) Vortex is grey and dark blue. This FOC "reboot" id the color of puke and period blood. :SICK:


I choose ALL SPARK then, X. Because...

1) Naoto Tsuchima worked on numerous Transformers manga and other artwork since 2004. And ALL SPARK is the reboot that even Simon Furman himself failed to give the IDW fanbase.

2) The "Generations" Bruticus has the chance to be reformatted into "Classic" Bruticus. Meaning that the one I mentioned is based on a flashback, and his look is not permanent.

3) In ALL SPARK... Starscream wore glasses during his days on Cybertron. Therefor, all arguments on what is accurate or not are invalid. :lol:
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1461410)
Posted by Delta Magnus on February 6th, 2013 @ 12:39pm CST
Rated X wrote:
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:But even then, according to Naoto Tsushima, who is both writer and artist of the latest Japanese Generation One reboot ("TRANSFORMERS ALL SPARK"), this version of Bruticus is G1 accurate.


Maybe he is color blind.

Cartoon, toy, or 80's marvel comics, (you choose) Vortex is grey and dark blue. This FOC "reboot" id the color of puke and period blood. :SICK:


No, it's accurate because in Japan that is how Vortex appears in a newly established piece of fiction that is part of the G1 Canon, in the same way that if, in the 1986 movie, instead of dying, Optimus Prime had gone into stasis and reemerged in a new body that was green and blue instead of red and blue, it would still be "G1 accurate" because it would be part of the G1 canon.

It isn't a homage, it's a continuation of the story. Vortex can be whatever colour he damn wants.

Also, Starscream with glasses=AWESOME. Who else wants Starscream to be a bastard bespectacled Bishounen?
Re: Video Review: Takara Tomy Transformers Generations: Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (1461418)
Posted by SkyWarpsGhost on February 6th, 2013 @ 1:01pm CST
Bruticus' head is awesome with the proper red eyes. I've G2 and retail versions of these guys, but this review has made me want these guys so much that I've just ordered the whole lot as my wallet weeps lol.
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #106 - McCarthyism
Twincast / Podcast #106:
"McCarthyism"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Thursday, December 4th, 2014