25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie

Transformers News: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie

Monday, August 8th, 2011 9:58PM CDT

Category: Cartoon News
Posted by: LOST Cybertronian   Views: 42,375

25 years ago today, a little something called Transformers: The Movie was released into theaters. It was slightly different from the past two seasons as the action took place in the far flung future of 2005. It was a much darker Transformers than kids were used to. It introduced a villain the likes of which had never been seen before in the Transformers universe: Unicron. The movie also served as a bridge between seasons 2 and 3.

There were many new favorites introduced.

Some old favorites met their demise.

There were many memorable scenes all through out the movie.

The ultimate showdown between Optimus Prime and Megatron.

We learned that a hero could die.

Autobot deaths

Unicron transforms a defeated Megatron into Galvatron.

Hot Rod becomes Rodimus Prime

The death of Unicron

Take a moment and reminisce about the first time you saw Transformers: The Movie. If you have never seen it, then take some time to watch it. Discuss how it made you feel and what you liked/disliked about the movie with your fellow Seibertronians right here.
Credit(s): Youtube users Count3d, dramageddon, mrskemar, OBGrollout, eliteprime, Aeonmagnus, Bigruhail
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273543)
Posted by DISCHARGE on August 8th, 2011 @ 10:09pm CDT
Well now I feel compelled to watch this :)
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273547)
Posted by It Is Him on August 8th, 2011 @ 10:18pm CDT
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273548)
Posted by GetRightRobot on August 8th, 2011 @ 10:18pm CDT
I know a 25 year old animated movie may not appeal to some newer and younger fans, but if anyone has not seen this movie, PLEASE, watch it. It was the only time I can remember crying because of a movie (granted I was 5 years old). Epic, simply epic.
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273549)
Posted by PrymeStriker on August 8th, 2011 @ 10:19pm CDT
I'm serious, the only video I watched out of that whole batch was the Autobot Death scene. It never gets old :-)

Although maybe off-screen, didn't Huffer die too?

It Is Him wrote:What prompted this news post? Was the movie released in theaters today 25 years ago, or is this just a general story reminiscing about the movie?

Yeah, 'twas August 8th, 1986, when it was released, this movie.
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273556)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on August 8th, 2011 @ 10:32pm CDT
I've heard lots of stories from transfans who either left the theater crying, or more commonly remember younger children doing so. The only reactions I remember from other children in the theater I saw it in were cries of "Laserbeak!" when he flew onscreen after the credits; finally, something we recognize! I don't remember anyone actually screaming when everything they knew was destroyed a half hour later.

At the age of 7, I was already cynical enough about my favorite cartoons to understand that few had continuity enough for anything to actually change long-term. When commercials for the movie queried, "Does Prime die?", my response was, "Of course not!" And not because I was so attached to Op; having a perfectly stable dad in my life, I found Soundwave to be the more interesting father figure, as he was the dad I wanted to be when I grew up, not the one I wished I had. And even at that age I'd usually get so excited by movie trailers that the actual movie was inevitably a letdown. So when the bodies started piling up, I was shocked all right, but mostly at the fact that this was the one movie I'd ever seen that wasn't what I was expecting in that it was several times better, and remains so to this day. Sure it was sad to see so many characters go, but this ancient space war that had mostly just been alluded to amidst general puttering about in the grand canyon for 2 years was suddenly back in full swing, and the violence carried with its horrible consequences the promise of hope that things could actually change! He-Man never truly defeated Skeletor, the Joes never wiped out Cobra, and Inspector Gadget never got to see what the heck Dr. Claw looked like, but the Autobots actually got Cybertron back!!! Besides some imported anime, I can't think of any '80s cartoon where something of that magnitude actually happened except the Thundercats reclaiming Thundera, and I wouldn't know about that until the Toonami reruns a decade later. Some fans claim they never adjusted to the changes, but I doubt the franchise would have its eternal staying power without that trauma, controversy, and triumph.

I think my family was the last to leave the theater; I insisted on just sitting there staring at Unicron's head until the music stopped. (the amount of country western and folk music played in my house played a part in that decision as well) I was in a state of euphoria that I never wanted to end. I ended up liking the post-movie cartoon way better as well, and every time I hear Rodimus Prime bashed, it just makes me feel even more loyal to him as the true successor to Optimus. His mediating of galactic peace talks in "The Quintesson Journal" just seems like a more admirable legacy than Optimus lecturing his subordinates while burying other robots alive that he couldn't ethically shoot.

Maybe I shouldn't bring up something that polarizing, but it's just what sprang to mind. And Optimus seemed even greater as a legend to inspire the Autobots who survived, right?
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273558)
Posted by YRQRM0 on August 8th, 2011 @ 10:37pm CDT
Awesome!
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273571)
Posted by Mindmaster on August 8th, 2011 @ 10:56pm CDT
There really should be a 25th Anniversary Edition of the Movie, with remastered graphics. Basically, like Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary but with Transformers. :P 8-}
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273574)
Posted by Cougartracks on August 8th, 2011 @ 11:03pm CDT
I had to rewatch this film today, still great after all this time. There was a big facebook group that watched it together and commented as we watched, good times.

Also, I'm on a podcast with a few friends, and this week we discussed TF:TM the entire show. I'll post a link to our blog and podcast when it's up, assuming that kind of thing is allowed on the boards?
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273580)
Posted by Trikeboy on August 8th, 2011 @ 11:10pm CDT
I found out the most important thing about this movie from my Uncle before I even saw the movie. He owned a toy shop and I asked why he didn't stock Optimus Prime anymore (even though I already had him). He told me Optimus Prime dies in the movie and he only had the new toys. I ended up taking Galvatron home that day. I don't remember seeing it in the theatre but I have vivid memories watching it on VHS and my parents talking about the vibrant colors during Hot Rod and Daniel's trip up to Lookout Mountain. I love this movie, it is the best of the current 4 Transformers movies.
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273590)
Posted by synthetik on August 8th, 2011 @ 11:42pm CDT
New Favorites: Hot Rod

LAWL!!!!!!
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273594)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on August 8th, 2011 @ 11:51pm CDT
I didn't see it opening day but I saw it the week after with my Grandfather as he was the one tasked to take me and suffer through the "cartoon silliness." 25 years later my Grandfather is long gone but the memory of that day remains as does my love of Transformers. I hope someday a brand, toy, or property comes along that captures a generations imagination like Transformers has.
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273598)
Posted by Blackstreak on August 9th, 2011 @ 12:02am CDT
First time I saw it I was in California visiing an Aunt & Uncle & cousins. Watched it on a rented VHS which I dubbed so I could take it home. That was 2 years after it was out in theatres. I still have to fight back tears when I see Optimus sacrifice himself in defense of Earth and Autobot City.
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273609)
Posted by Hoitytoity on August 9th, 2011 @ 12:31am CDT
I was born the year this was released, so what I remember about first seeing this movie was the video store calling our house time and time again because I wouldn't give it back XD;

Seriously, I must've rented that movie at least two dozen times. I also remember when I heard about the "uncut" version with the swear word, which at the time was illegal in the US. So, I ordered a Canadian version of the VHS and was blown away! Then DVDs came out and made all that obsolete.

This little reminiscence has inspired me to invite a few friends over, crack open a few beers and let the good times commence. Thanks for giving me a reason to socialize, Seibertron! :KREMZEEK:
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273613)
Posted by Lapse Of Reason on August 9th, 2011 @ 12:44am CDT
I was a big fan of the 1st two seasons of the show and the toys. I had a lot of them. I was not lucky enough to have parents who would take me to see the movie, but I did buy the comics so I knew the story. It was hard for me to get into season three because of the drastic changes and my interests moved on to other things. I remember having Ultra Magnus, but not any other movie toys.

Anyway, as big of a fan that I am, I did not see the movie until I was about 30 when I got back into Transformers. It is now my favorite animated movie and my kids love it too.

It is a comfort movie. I can put it on almost anytime.
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273618)
Posted by XxsnipersnakexX on August 9th, 2011 @ 1:01am CDT
i rewatched it last nite.

good stuff. U GOT THE TOUCH
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273620)
Posted by SaTaN CoNvOy on August 9th, 2011 @ 1:08am CDT
[color=#FF0000]For me the first time I saw the movie I was like 15.(back in 97) There was only one video store here in town that had a copy of it(the old Video City)and every chance I got I would beg my mom to rent it. Most of the time I would just go pick it up on the bus, and this one time I even walked all the way downtown from my mom's house just to rent it and was pouring rain that day. Oh the cold I had after that.*lol* Ah fun times fun times. Srsly I think I broke the re-wind button on the vcr back then. Between buying Beast Wars figures and watching this movie, as if it had cancer curing medicine, it made me a TF fan for life.

On one side note. Can any of picture what it'll be like when we are all old men/gals and we're sitting at w/e retirement home we live at getting all hyped up at the 50th ann. of TF:the movie?

Just a little food for thought.

Also I wonder if a mechtech weapon would fit on top of Hotrod in vehicle mode??????[/color]

:twisted:
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273638)
Posted by griftimus prime on August 9th, 2011 @ 2:44am CDT
a movie to be celebrated unlike the other 3
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273644)
Posted by ausbot on August 9th, 2011 @ 3:00am CDT
I'm not afraid to admit it, but this still is my favorite movie of all time!
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273659)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on August 9th, 2011 @ 4:57am CDT
For all you new fans from the movies/comics/what have you... this is where it all really began.
A lot of you have already said what I might say.
I think I was 8 or so when I first saw it, me and my cousin would watch it everyday for the month I spent visiting (and then acted out the scenes afterwards like mini-tards :lol: )
But really, this is the definitive video representation of the Transformers the way they should have always been. The death of heroes, the insanely killer music and metal score, UNICRON! all wrapped up in the cheesiest sandwich ever :grin:
I've probably seen it a 100 times. Hell, thats probably an under-estimate.
My favourite scene is the transformation of Megatron to Galvatron. The dialogue between Unicron and Megatron in that scene is just sick; two forces of evil, one being forced into submission... Galvatron being voiced by Leonard Nimoy?! Add Cyclonus, the BRUTAL death of Starscream after that... :twisted: I could go on.
This movie is just too amazing, and I would rate it one of the top 5 sci-fi flicks ever, even amongst live action films.
Re: 25th Anniversary of Transformers: The Movie (1273680)
Posted by prowl123 on August 9th, 2011 @ 7:02am CDT
Oh my God I love this movie! I've seen it a hundred times.

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #142 - Botcon 2016 Part 3: The Last One
"Botcon 2016 Part 3: The Last One"
Posted: Sunday, April 17th, 2016