Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer

Transformers News: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer

Saturday, February 15th, 2014 2:55PM CST

Categories: Live Action Movie News, Game News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Dr Va'al   Views: 48,274

Among all the toy news coming out of the Toy Fair in New York, the Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark videogame was confirmed as a mashup of War for Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron elements and movieverse. Courtesy of IGN, we get a look at a trailer for the game too - check it out below!

Credit(s): IGN
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551024)
Posted by philswitch engage on February 15th, 2014 @ 2:58pm CST
sooo much money going out the window. I can just see the skin packs draining my account as I type.
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551025)
Posted by dreadwing95 on February 15th, 2014 @ 2:59pm CST
well this certainly... different. dont really know what to think
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551029)
Posted by Mindmaster on February 15th, 2014 @ 3:08pm CST
Nerdgasm. Nerdgasm everywhere. :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK:
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551030)
Posted by Shanedapain3991 on February 15th, 2014 @ 3:11pm CST
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? :michaelbay:

Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551032)
Posted by Dead Metal on February 15th, 2014 @ 3:12pm CST

It does say two worlds collide, which could mean a crossover, but also simply that the Transformers land on Earth.

Will reserve judgement till we get actual information on this.
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551033)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 15th, 2014 @ 3:18pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:Um WTF? Is this like a cross over between movie and Aligned, or is WFC/FOC suddenly the prequel to AOE,a nd will ignore all previous movies?

Will reserve judgement till we get actual information on this.
Yeah, that was... mind-boggling.

People already have a hard time accepting WFC/FOC as being connected to TF: Prime. But now if there's some sort of connection with the even more-different-looking AOE...

GUGH! This game's gonna make all kinds of headaches if there isn't any dimension-hopping involved. :HEADHURTS:
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551037)
Posted by noctorro on February 15th, 2014 @ 3:19pm CST
OMG OMG OMG!!!

So it is High Moon that's making the game? Since FOC is their franchise and all.

I saw the movie Optimus with a Pathblaster from FOC.

So the gameplay will be as good as the same as FOC???

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I'm psyched, if it's on PS4, I'll buy the thing, just for this game!
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551039)
Posted by dedcat on February 15th, 2014 @ 3:22pm CST
Not exactly chocolate and peanut butter...
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551047)
Posted by Down_Shift on February 15th, 2014 @ 3:29pm CST
I dig it. I really hope HMS can get back together for this. I don't know how things work when it comes to Vidja Games.
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551051)
Posted by Agamemnon on February 15th, 2014 @ 3:34pm CST

I don't begrudge those who love this and find it awesome. Enjoy! It's just not for me...
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551052)
Posted by noctorro on February 15th, 2014 @ 3:36pm CST
Agreed with Downshift,

Hopefully it won't have the framerate issues that DOTM had.

Movie games should get proper time to make the game, if they put in stuff from FOC that's already built they can make a solid game that takes a few hours to complete.

:KREMZEEK:
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551058)
Posted by Dead Metal on February 15th, 2014 @ 3:53pm CST
Agamemnon wrote:*Sigh* Well, it looks like I can finally cut myself off from these video games. It may be awesome in playability, but what drew me to WfC and FoC was the definite G1 tie in. I do not like the tie in to the movies (or even Prime, for that matter.)

WFC/FOC are not G1 though, they are (or where if this is going to be connected to the movies) Aligned, which means Prime.
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551061)
Posted by Noideaforaname on February 15th, 2014 @ 4:01pm CST
Of all the TF series to crossover, these are probably the least interesting.
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551069)
Posted by Agamemnon on February 15th, 2014 @ 4:31pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:

True, but I find that more of a retcon. It seems clear to me that WfC, in particular, was meant to align with G1, or at the very least throw back to it. (Compare BB with G1 and Prime/the movies, and I think this is pretty clear.)

Also, I should state that I don't like Hasbro's attempts to "align" everything. They own the properties, so they get to do what they want. But I think it is wrong of them to stifle the imagination of their customers, which is what I think they are doing whether intentional or not. But, that's just my opinion...
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551071)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 15th, 2014 @ 4:35pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:

Truth be told, I never really saw how WFC/FOC were all that much more G1-inspired than some of the other obvious G1 homages we got in other series. The only things about the WFC/FOC designs that seemed so overtly G1-based to the point that they couldn't be seen as being from anything but G1 were some of the characters' heads. The rest of their looks (color schemes, body designs, etc.) just seemed like the typical, ordinary, casual G1-homage stuff we see all the time in non-G1 series.

Like, take Energon Grimlock or Cybertron Soundwave, for instance. Both look exceptionally G1-based, yet no one ever tried to peg them as being G1 Grimlock or G1 Soundwave in a serious manner.
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551076)
Posted by Sodan-1 on February 15th, 2014 @ 4:49pm CST
I predict a disaster of a plot. Looks like they're taking the easy option of having to decide between a movie tie-in and a sequel to FoC and covering both. They just look completely different to me. The Cybertron games had a mild comic vibe to their visuals, while the movie games went for realism. I'd love to know where they're taking this.
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551081)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 15th, 2014 @ 4:59pm CST

[quote]- It's Movie-verse vs War for Cybertron universe!
- Prime vs Prime, Grimlock vs Grimlock, Earth vs Cybertron, Bumblebee vs Bumblebee
[/quote]
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551087)
Posted by Dr Va'al on February 15th, 2014 @ 5:12pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:Okay, there is one thing that TFW reported from the Hasbro panel that has me hopeful:

[quote]- It's Movie-verse vs War for Cybertron universe!

This description makes it sound like there are two of each character, one from each world, fighting each of their counterparts across both worlds.[/quote]

The trailer points that out too, no? I mean, the whole point is X vs X.
Everything vs Everything.

Sure, not as explicit as that quote, but still.
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551096)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 15th, 2014 @ 5:44pm CST
Va'al wrote:The trailer points that out too, no? I mean, the whole point is X vs X.
Everything vs Everything.

Sure, not as explicit as that quote, but still.
That's not quite what I got out of the trailer.

To me, the trailer just looks like generic TF gaming action, mixed with models based on both sources, and vague descriptions that seem to pertain to Cybertron/Earth and Good/Evil.
Re: Activision Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark Trailer (1551098)
Posted by Spider5800 on February 15th, 2014 @ 5:47pm CST
Gonna try and remain optimistic about this since I loved WFC and FoC, but this looks silly. These are two very different, distinct versions of Transformers, and they really don't mix well at all. Their tone and art styles conflict too much.

If they're trying to make WFC/FoC a prequel to the movies, it doesn't work, since we've already seen movieverse Cybertron in the films and it looks completely different (heck, we know from the first film that Megatron looks completely different from WFC Megatron from flashbacks).

If they're doing a bunch of alternate-reality crossover stuff, I have to ask...why? Who was asking for that? They've already done a pretty poor job of their Aligned Continuity (Sorry, but WFC/FoC and Prime should be kept seperate), throwing the movieverse into the mix just muddles everything up even more.

This looks like a hamfisted way of reusing assets from FoC to rush out a movie tie-in. Hopefully the gameplay is as solid as the previous games, but I'll need to see a lot more before I make a purchase.

Ending Soon On eBay

TRANSFORMERS GENERATION G1 SKIDS & SCREECH CLASSIC LIMITED EDITION BOTCON UNITED - Time Remaining: 4 days 9 hours 46 minutes 39 seconds
TAKARA TRANSFORMERS ROBOT MASTER RM-23 BEAST WARS II METALLIC LIO CONVOY + DVD - Time Remaining: 3 days 12 hours 46 minutes 43 seconds
TAKARA TRANSFORMERS MICRON LEGEND/ARMADA CRYSTAL CLEAR CONVOY/OPTIMUS PRIME MISB - Time Remaining: 4 days 19 hours 31 minutes 53 seconds
TAKARA TRANSFORMERS HENKEI C-13 HOUND W/RAVAGE CLASSIC/G1/UNITED - Time Remaining: 4 days 10 hours 1 minute 50 seconds
Transformers G1 ULTRA MAGNUS loose incomplete - Time Remaining: 4 days 9 hours 32 minutes 7 seconds
Transformers Generations COMBINER WARS DELUXE CLASS HOUND ACTION figure  NEW - Time Remaining: 4 days 23 hours 48 minutes 14 seconds
Transformers Generations COMBINER WARS  DELUXE CLASS WHEELJACK 6 INCH   new - Time Remaining: 5 days 3 hours 18 minutes 4 seconds
Transformers Vintage G1 Predacon Predaking Divebomb 100% complete w/packet - Time Remaining: 4 days 12 hours 21 minutes 10 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #155 - Pillarboxed