Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream

Transformers News: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream

Wednesday, December 4th, 2013 8:15AM CST

Categories: Toy News, Collectables
Posted by: Dr Va'al   Views: 30,660

Thanks to Seibertron.com user daimchoc and courtesy of Facebook user Kiya Hayashi, we have some additional images of the upcoming Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream, showing off some of the smaller details of the two figures, including the modified faction symbols for each. Take a look below!

Credit(s): Kiya Hayashi, daimchoc
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533196)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 4th, 2013 @ 8:17am CST
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533197)
Posted by Dr Va'al on December 4th, 2013 @ 8:19am CST
Sabrblade wrote:Was Optimus's molded left-shoulder Autobrand remolded into the "Year of the Horse" Autobrand?

That seems to be the case from the second image, but the third one shows them reversed. :-?
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533202)
Posted by megatronus on December 4th, 2013 @ 8:26am CST
Looks like it.

The overall color scheme is looking a lot more thought out. I actually like the relatively darker blues combined with the black, silver, and deep red tones.

If you can stand the gold chrome, this might make a nice G2 Prime stand-in.
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533203)
Posted by Megazarak on December 4th, 2013 @ 8:29am CST

Oh, and the insignia on different shoulders is probably just because the picture was mirrored. Wouldn't it be cool if they were switchable though and it came with a pair of each?
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533209)
Posted by megatronus on December 4th, 2013 @ 8:40am CST
Megazarak wrote:Hm, I don't have Masterpiece OP (cause they sold out everywhere...) so maybe I should get this guy. The altered insignia is a bit of a pain, but not the end of the world (would have been cool if I'd been a horse, but I'm a monkey, maybe in 2 years we'll get a cool mold for our zodiac figure). I think I'll have to limit myself to a big discount, if that never happens I think I'll just wait for a reissue of regular Prime, which should come eventually.

Though places like TFsource have this guy on preorder for $165+, BBTS has stated that they'll list theirs for cheaper once the official preorder date comes along soon after the New Year - probably around $120, which is reasonable.

Plus, since this is a Platinum Edition and looks very, very Americanized to boot, we'll probably see this at TRU, too.
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533210)
Posted by Megazarak on December 4th, 2013 @ 8:44am CST
Ya, of that I've no doubt. Just like all the other Platinum figures, it'll show up at TRU. And the only reason I want such a discount (besides the obvious ones) is because I'd really rather the original, but if this one were to be affordable, I'd go for it as a substitute.
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533215)
Posted by GuyIncognito on December 4th, 2013 @ 9:06am CST
Megazarak wrote:Just like all the other Platinum figures, it'll show up at TRU.

Platinum Omega Supreme
Platinum Optimus Prime
Platinum Predaking

None of them are available at TRU stores.

The only Platinum figures at TRU, as far as I know, are Ultra Magnus and the Grimlock/Bruticus set.
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533216)
Posted by Megazarak on December 4th, 2013 @ 9:09am CST
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533219)
Posted by daimchoc on December 4th, 2013 @ 9:37am CST
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533221)
Posted by Megazarak on December 4th, 2013 @ 9:45am CST
Ah, looks like he has Cyber Keys. If anyone still collects those, there are 2 new ones to get! He looks okay but I won't need him.

I was also just going to ask what the symbols were in the insignias, but thought that the Autobot one kind of looked like a stylized version of the Chinese character for horse, 馬 (mǎ). So I looked it up and that's what they are, with the Decepticon one being an older form of the character. Pictured below for reference (the last two). This was probably posted before but I just found out now, and I think it's interesting enough to repost for others who might not know.

That is very cool. Now I'm really hoping Monkey gets a cool figure. Fingers crossed for Masterpiece Optimus Primal! Yes, even though he's an ape.
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533224)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 4th, 2013 @ 9:51am CST
Megazarak wrote:Is that right? I could have sworn I at least saw that Optimus in stores. I'm pretty sure I actually still see him. (Edit: yup, I'm not crazy. http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=46315) Don't think I ever saw Omega. And Predaking was/is on the online TRU site (at least in Canada). http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp ... d=28391916 But sure, I could be wrong. Overall the Platinum figures aren't selling all that well so TRU might not want them anymore (though for the MP-10 mold they'll probably want some).
Canadian TRU stores got these toys, but U.S. TRU stores only got Grimlock/Bruticus and Ultra Magnus.
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533225)
Posted by Megazarak on December 4th, 2013 @ 9:53am CST
Sabrblade wrote:

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. Strange how that happened. More often than not it's the other way around.
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533226)
Posted by GuyIncognito on December 4th, 2013 @ 10:04am CST
In the U.S., Omega Supreme, OP, and Predaking were Amazon/BBTS shared exlusives. Where they available through Amazon.CA? Maybe in Canada they went to TRU instead of Amazon?
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533228)
Posted by SJ21 on December 4th, 2013 @ 10:11am CST
Not into the new badges and the gold chrome. I would have been all about a Mp Prime, but not with all the gold shiny stuff.
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533230)
Posted by Ravage XK on December 4th, 2013 @ 10:36am CST
Megazarak wrote:

The right most horsey symbol is the only Chinese symbol I know, I am sure I saw it on a Sesame Street animation years ago.
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533240)
Posted by Hip-Hoptimus Rime on December 4th, 2013 @ 11:07am CST
Must have this Starscream! Sold my original Supreme SS long ago, regretted it shortly afterwards. I think I like the colors on this one better too.
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533252)
Posted by rpetras on December 4th, 2013 @ 11:46am CST
Nothing about these holds any allure for me.

Savin' money!
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533253)
Posted by Crystiallic on December 4th, 2013 @ 11:53am CST
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533256)
Posted by GuyIncognito on December 4th, 2013 @ 12:06pm CST
Crystiallic wrote:If this was an Amazon/BBTS release, I'm actually thinking OP for $100 and SC for $80, matching the previous TRU release of masterpieces (Thundercracker instead of SC). That being said, I wouldn't mind paying $120+shipping for the OP.

I'm pretty sure the last TRU MP OP was $119.99 or $129.99. I think the Amazon-BBTS exclusive "Platinum" repaint of ENERGON OP was $100 or less, but not the MP OP. IF TRU carries this new MP OP, it will surely be more than $100.

SS, on the other hand, is NOT a MP, so it will probably be priced lower than MP TC. I would expect it to be more in in line with something like Platinum UM: $59.99.
Re: Additional Images of Year of the Horse Optimus Prime and Starscream (1533266)
Posted by craggy on December 4th, 2013 @ 12:43pm CST
with the yellow chrome and ghost-y trailer, I think Horsey Optimus looks hideous, but not quite hideous enough to get him.

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers G1 Decepticon Cyclonus Figure (Blue Ears) w/Gun Vintage 1986 Hasbro - Time Remaining: 16 days 3 hours 41 minutes 6 seconds
Transformers G1 Decepticon Headmaster Weirdwolf Complete Vintage 1987 Hasbro - Time Remaining: 16 days 3 hours 56 minutes 12 seconds
Transformers G1 Decepticon Cassette Ratbat Complete w/Tight Ears, Painted Decals - Time Remaining: 9 days 2 hours 55 minutes 49 seconds
Transformers G1 Kup Action Figure Complete (Metal Wheels) Vintage 1986 Hasbro - Time Remaining: 9 days 3 hours 10 minutes 52 seconds
1985 Transformers G1 Autobot Cassette Eject Complete with Gold & Silver Weapons - Time Remaining: 9 days 3 hours 25 minutes 55 seconds
1985 Transformers G1 Autobot Cassette Ramhorn Complete w/ Gold & Silver Weapons - Time Remaining: 9 days 2 hours 55 minutes 54 seconds
1985 Transformers G1 Autobot Cassette Steeljaw Complete w/ Gold & Silver Weapons - Time Remaining: 9 days 2 hours 40 minutes 50 seconds
Transformers Ravage & Rumble Cassette Card Back w/ Bubble G1 Tech Spec Cardback - Time Remaining: 2 days 40 minutes 56 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #160 - Grappling with Memory