Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Transformers News: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power

Sunday, February 9th, 2014 4:19AM CST

Categories: Cartoon News, People News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 23,860

Thanks to fellow Seibertronians Sabrblade and Cyberpath, we get to take a look at some more concept art by Floro Dery, to add to the image heavy post from a while back. The artist has added the images below to the Etsy store previously mentioned, so take a look below at some never seen before G1 artwork!

"Massive grabber from a hole on the spiked moon of the Quintesson planet, from the animated Transformers movie."

"Close shot of the junk lined corridor of the Junkion planet, from the Transformers series."

"The Crystal of Power from "Fire on the Mountain"

"The mechano-beast, from the animated Transformers movie."

Sabrblade has also looked at the image closely, and figured out its actual identity:

A closer examination reveals this to be the combined form of the enigmatic Anibots, who were the prototypical Predacons conceived as an Autobot subgroup instead of Decepticons. So, it isn't actually something that existed in anything official.

The smaller text reveals even more:

"The Anibots: Rhinoceros (Clump), Eagle (Shriek), Lion (Simba), Buffalo (Thump), & Leopard (Pardo).They combine to become the 'Mechano-Beast'. This is the end of the three versions. The 1st version looks like a monster with outer spiketail structure & transforms a second time to an alien spaceship. The 3rd version is a 'Hydra' with five heads. The 'Mechano-Beast' in simplified form."
Credit(s): Floro Dery
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1549224)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on February 9th, 2014 @ 2:01pm CST
Ah, I'd been trying to picture Dragon Beast ever since that TFTM draft surfaced. This mostly has me curious to see Dery's other takes, but maybe he never quite got to a viable combination scheme. Looks like the head is Clump's rhino head, and the wings come from Shriek.

Given his eventual status as Predaking's archenemy, I wonder if Dery had seen the Sky Lynx toy before drawing this. No real evidence of it here, but as he was the first truly dragon-ish TF, and had a spaceship mode as mentioned in the text, I have to wonder if it was an influence.
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1549293)
Posted by fenrir72 on February 9th, 2014 @ 6:19pm CST
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1549295)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 9th, 2014 @ 6:23pm CST
fenrir72 wrote:Or Skylynx was the eventual result of the early concept. Back then, I doubt if the technology would have spawned an actual toy.
Sky Lynx's mold was from the same toyline as Omega Supreme's mold, so it probably already existed back then.
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1549485)
Posted by MGrotusque on February 10th, 2014 @ 1:42pm CST
I can't imagine how long it would take to draw something like that Junkion corridor....i mean seriously. The amount of detail in it is insane.
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1557799)
Posted by Cyberpath on March 15th, 2014 @ 6:56pm CDT
I'm not sure if this one is Transformers related --

Unvorsum The Galactic Robot.jpg

Unvorsum is the poetic Latin word for the Universe. Unvorsum, shown in the first drawing above, is a galactic robot, he's a transmuter in the symbiotic topological realm that's parallel to the physical Universe. He derives his power from an enormous black hole in his body, and through an opening he devours planets, stars and other galaxies. Unvorsum topologically transmutes into a multi-dimensional gigantic galaxy, as shown in the second drawing, that's greater than any known galaxy. Attached to his back is his parasitic mini-sidekick galaxy. Copyright (c) 2013 by Floro Dery.

Signed prints are available at:

It reminds me of this piece from an old interview.

TFPH: If you told to create Unicron in your style, do you think he still be a planet? or something else? like a giant space crab perhaps.

Floro Dery: I was not told by anyone when I created the design of Unicron. In fact, the writer's idea is different from mine. However, if I redesign Unicron again, I will make him bigger and like a galaxy.
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1557809)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 15th, 2014 @ 7:45pm CDT
Interesting. I can look into this to see if there's anything further to be revealed about the nature of this drawing before it gets news'd.
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1557985)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 16th, 2014 @ 4:28pm CDT
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1558003)
Posted by Dead Metal on March 16th, 2014 @ 5:33pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Turns out it's not Transformers art. It's copyrighted 2013, being something he recently came up with.

I got that just from looking at the picture.
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1558015)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on March 16th, 2014 @ 6:26pm CDT
Oh, wow! That's some insanely awesome stuff. The details just go so deep! :D
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1572966)
Posted by Cyberpath on May 11th, 2014 @ 3:13am CDT
Two new signed prints from Floro Dery:

The temple of the Sky God on the moon Titan. (from the episode The God Gambit.)

Galvatron defending the Decepticon Hall of Heroes from Unicron.

Notice the two Cyclonus.
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1572972)
Posted by Dead Metal on May 11th, 2014 @ 4:24am CDT
Cyberpath wrote:Two new signed prints from Floro Dery:

The temple of the Sky God on the moon Titan. (from the episode The God Gambit.)

Galvatron defending the Decepticon Hall of Heroes from Unicron.

Notice the two Cyclonus.

Yea, those two Cyclonus are still from when Cyclonus was supposed to have a clone army similar to Scourge and his Sweeps.

Any news on his artbook?
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1591568)
Posted by Cyberpath on July 18th, 2014 @ 9:30am CDT
More artwork from Dery:

The Quintesson and the Sharkticons in the court chamber.

The 3rd version Autobot spaceship and also the 3rd version fiery planet Thrull and its moons.

Ultra Magnus, 3rd version.

Looks a lot like Orion Pax, actually.
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1591570)
Posted by Hans on July 18th, 2014 @ 9:40am CDT
Geeez, these are awesome!
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1591573)
Posted by triKlops on July 18th, 2014 @ 10:03am CDT
More great stuff!
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1591611)
Posted by Cyberpath on July 18th, 2014 @ 1:26pm CDT
Regarding the Ultra Magnus image, Dery added:

Yes. Later I redesigned and simplified this Ultra Magnus to become Orion Pax.
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1591645)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 18th, 2014 @ 4:35pm CDT
Whenever I see Dery's work I'm always impressed
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1594171)
Posted by Cyberpath on July 27th, 2014 @ 2:33pm CDT
An update:

There seems so many confusing ideas going around among Transformers fans in the development of the animated Transformers movie. When I was designing the said movie I just designed whatever I wanted, once done I gave them to the studio, and that was that. I had no more control afterward whether the studio will use it or not, but most of the time my designs were used and others were not. My Ultra Magnus design shown here was not used in the movie, so I redesigned and modified it to become Orion Pax that the studio used in the Transformers series. I'll tell my daughter to post the design of Orion Pax in her Etsy store. By the way, to correct the misconception, my Ultra Magnus design was based on an angel and NOT BASED on the toy Powered Convoy, and I had nothing to do with the final Ultra Magnus used in the movie. About the book, my daughter and nephew are working on it slowly, hahaha. It's just a sideline work of my daughter who's working full time as a lawyer.
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1594308)
Posted by Hans on July 28th, 2014 @ 2:55am CDT
I had nothing to do with the final Ultra Magnus used in the movie

Hmmm, I assume he did design the animation model based on the actual toy as he also did with all the season two and most of the season one Transformers... right?
Re: Additional Unused Concept Art by Floro Dery - Mechanobeast, Quintessa, Junkion, Crystal of Power (1596712)
Posted by RSDADDIMUS2 on August 5th, 2014 @ 9:50am CDT
This stuff is just amazing.Did they ever do the book?