Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History

Transformers News: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History

Thursday, July 10th, 2014 10:02PM CDT

Category: Live Action Movie News
Posted by: Autobot032   Views: 19,482

Age Of Extinction, much like the previous films in the series, is a big film (we mean BIG) and the box office just keeps growing as we previously reported. (Which you can see here and here)

Now, Age Of Extinction has been certified as the highest grossing film of all time in China, even beating out Avatar! The total box office take in China, as of right now, is a staggering $219.2 million and it pulled it off in 11 days!

You can read the full article here at Box Office Mojo, and a couple of snippets below:

The movie's phenomenal success in China can be chalked up to three main factors. First, it's important to remember that the franchise was already extremely popular in China. In Summer 2011, Transformers: Dark of the Moon earned over $165 million; in comparison, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides made around $70 million that Summer.

It's not unheard of for a movie's Chinese haul to exceed its U.S. take: recent examples include Pacific Rim, Escape Plan and Need for Speed. For a movie to do it on this scale, though, is truly remarkable.

Credit(s): Box Office Mojo

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589646)
Posted by BERSEKAEL on July 10th, 2014 @ 11:19pm CDT
Nice, Transformers, Hasbro, Mr. Bay and all the team involved deserve it!!! is a lot of work behind.

Haters are gonna HATE!, but we, fans, are loving it. :michaelbay:
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589648)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 10th, 2014 @ 11:32pm CDT
BERSEKAEL wrote:Haters are gonna HATE!, but we, fans, are loving it. :michaelbay:
Fans of the movie or fans in general? Cuz several folks on this board might not agree with the latter.

I'm still putting my thoughts together about the movie to decide how I feel about it.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589653)
Posted by SKYWARPED_128 on July 11th, 2014 @ 12:13am CDT
I sort of had a feeling TF was big in China when the local farmers started building 20-foot TF sculptures in their free time.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589662)
Posted by fenrir72 on July 11th, 2014 @ 12:55am CDT
No surprise why G1 K.O.s proliferate from that neck of the woods. :lol:
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589663)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on July 11th, 2014 @ 1:03am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

Since only the former option makes logical sense, let's just assume he meant that rather than asking a borderline confrontational "true-fan"-ish question atop a never-ending powder-keg. Do not prove Boltax right about too much knowledge leading to madness. ;)

I for one hope AofE breaks every record because it's the first Bay TF movie that I genuinely enjoyed from start to finish without at any point feeling like I was forcing myself to forgive something. The biggest reason is probably that I disliked the human cast of the first trilogy more than I realized at the time, and felt that all their replacements were at least minor upgrades.

Even reading posts slamming it has revealed a delightful schism amongst its detractors: While traditional Bay-bashers have gotten so intense and vehement that Michael has become THE scapegoat for everything wrong with cinema today (even economic, cultural, and technological factors, apparently...he's probably even ruining Bollywood forever!), there've been plenty who liked the first three but hate #4, or feel the current movie's in the middle of the pack, so opinions are skewing all over the place rather than polarizing. Considering several points where AofE seemed to be addressing some of the loudest fan complaints, we have ourselves to blame for how this one turned out moreso than ever, making it the perfect film to commemorate our happy 30th.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589670)
Posted by Skywarp64 on July 11th, 2014 @ 2:23am CDT
Bumblevivisector wrote:Considering several points where AofE seemed to be addressing some of the loudest fan complaints,

Oh really? Were fans complaining that Megatron had too much screen time?

Because, as I recall, his lack of screen time has always been a major problem, which was only made worse in this film, wherein he got 3 or 4 lines, the first being some garbled, incomprehensible rubbish uttered to Optimus, the second being his "speech" (was barely even a speech, just a few sentences) to his new minions, the third being his whining about the Dinobots ruining everything, and the fourth being what amounts to "Eh, i'll get you next time".

He took a backseat to a new villain, which is exactly what he did in ROTF and DOTM. I dunno, maybe I was the only one complaining about that, but I sincerely hope I wasn't.

However, the new human cast was way better. I'll admit to that.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589672)
Posted by wilcosu35 on July 11th, 2014 @ 2:35am CDT
i hope megatron gets more screentime in upcoming movies, otherwise his revival would be completely useless.

i'm divided on the humans. i think cade is a very good human hero, being intelligent and brave, and actively and effectively fighting against the 'cons.
his daughter and her toyfriend, not so much. shane doesn't do much useful stuff apart from driving, and tessa is just a typical damsel in distress, doing nothing much beside screaming and being scared.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589692)
Posted by Vicalliose on July 11th, 2014 @ 5:52am CDT
I'm still not certain what pride can be taken from success in a country like China.

Though considering their populace gets payed crap to make countless plastic Optimus Primes every year, working in poor conditions which I'm sure Hasbro was only lying about fixing, I'm surprised they don't look upon big-franchise money grabs like this with more disdain. Seems to have the opposite effect actually.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589698)
Posted by Peridot on July 11th, 2014 @ 7:20am CDT
chuckdawg1999 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Though, none of them received any toys of their own (bummer), their leader did. Red Geist, who surprisingly was not based on G1 Grimlock's toy, was a straight redeco of Deszaras's toy from Transformers Victory:

I've seen reviews of Red Giest and nothing is in common with Deszaurs unless it's very well hidden.

What? They are literally the exact same toy, only with different decos.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589700)
Posted by Burn on July 11th, 2014 @ 7:28am CDT
It's had its ride. This weekend AOE is going to be decimated by Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Brilliant movie.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589706)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 11th, 2014 @ 8:19am CDT
Anyone see Brad Jones's (the Cinema Snob) review of the movie? (warning: massively foul language) - http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/bj/bcmr/43852-transformers-age-of-extinction

He's surprisingly not as harsh on this one as he was the first three. He's still harsh about it, but also torn up about it.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589784)
Posted by Sub-Prime on July 11th, 2014 @ 12:56pm CDT
Apes will be the number one movie of course. But TF4 was the number one movie not just in America but the whole world for 2 weeks straight and made back its budget 3x over in 13 days. DOTPOT Apes I'm going to see on Sunday but I hope it does well too. I can also see why folks would love the plot of that movie since it's more of a sci fi grounded kind of evolution movie. Where as TF is more sci fi action and fantasy.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589819)
Posted by Burn on July 11th, 2014 @ 4:17pm CDT
Dawn won't reach monetary levels of AoE, AoE has the kid market backing it.

But as far as story and acting go, Dawn is vastly superior.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589824)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on July 11th, 2014 @ 4:57pm CDT
Metro Prime wrote:
chuckdawg1999 wrote:

What? They are literally the exact same toy, only with different decos.

Sabrblade, you got the wrong Geist here. What you're thinking of is Dino Geist, while the unrelated Red Geist appeared two series later, as a piloted mech even.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589825)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 11th, 2014 @ 5:07pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Metro Prime wrote:
chuckdawg1999 wrote:

What? They are literally the exact same toy, only with different decos.

Okay. let me see if I got this right.

Dino Geist is the leader of the Geisters, while Red Geist is from a different series, but is a redeco of Deszaras, correct?

So what I goofed on was the "leader" bit, while getting the rest of stuff correct, right?
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589826)
Posted by noctorro on July 11th, 2014 @ 5:08pm CDT
Burn wrote:Dawn won't reach monetary levels of AoE, AoE has the kid market backing it.

But as far as story and acting go, Dawn is vastly superior.

Well, I don't care, how about that.

I greatly enjoyed watching AOE today for the second time.
Probably will watch it a third time like I did DOTM.

Vastly superior (in your eyes by the way) doesn't mean everyone will enjoy that movie way more.

I like Transformers, I like robots with swords and shields. If I have to give grades, then intelligent apes get a 4, maybe 6 on the interest scale. And robots and demons get 10, aliens a 9.

So an ape movie can be a better quality piece of cinema, I'm still going to enjoy Transformers way more.

//continues rant

I'm kind of sick and tired about people screaming that PLOT needs to be super complex and filled with ethic dilemma's etc. And if you have robots or aliens battling each other in cool choreographed scenes that's all totally worth rubbish. Because the plot is thin as paper.

So, no one cares about the character design, or the animation?

I had a guy at the office saying Pacific Rim was a total waste of time and bandwith (the guy never pays for movies because it's not worth his money... don't get me started on that one).
However, some Godzilla movie from the early 2000's with dudes in costumes with cheesy special effects was WAY BETTER than Pacific Rim, because the plot was as thick as 4 stacked A4 papers.

Dafuq?

Not saying AOE is perfect, I still have a hard time accepting the whole flying molecules thing, I had that also with Iron Man 3. And also Steve Jobs's character change because the first funny guy was killed. Still thank the gods there waren't any toilet/sex jokes this time.

Still it was an awesome movie, I really started to hate humans first time I saw the Ratchet scene. Loved how Prime had to smack Grimlock's respect out of him. Hound was amazing.

It should make a lot of money, I want the two headed Shockwave thing as a voyager :michaelbay:
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589827)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on July 11th, 2014 @ 5:10pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Metro Prime wrote:
chuckdawg1999 wrote:

What? They are literally the exact same toy, only with different decos.

Okay. let me see if I got this right.

Yup ;)^
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589830)
Posted by Burn on July 11th, 2014 @ 5:28pm CDT
noctorro wrote:

But as far as story and acting go, Dawn is vastly superior.

Well, I don't care, how about that.

I greatly enjoyed watching AOE today for the second time.
Probably will watch it a third time like I did DOTM.

//continues rant

So, no one cares about the character design, or the animation?

Dafuq?

Settle petal, I didn't say people couldn't continue to enjoy AoE, nor that they would enjoy one more than other. I enjoyed AoE extent, I just enjoyed Dawn more.

If we're going to compare the writing, complex plot doesn't even come into it. AoE (and even the previous films, calm your ass down now SlyTF1) was disconnected, you have to make stretches to make things connect in both AoE and to the previous films (we're still not sure how TF's come into existence anymore, be it Creators or Hatchlings). Dawn doesn't have that problem. It follows smoothly on from Rise and keeps the story intact.

That's why I've always said, don't blame Michael Bay, blame the writers.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589831)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 11th, 2014 @ 5:31pm CDT
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film In China's History (1589832)
Posted by Burn on July 11th, 2014 @ 5:34pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:We need John Barber to patch things up for us, but there aren't any more movie comics coming at the moment, so we're up the creek on that for now.

Problem with that though is only the fans are going to go out and read those comics.

Casual fans and movie going public don't read them so they don't get things tied together.

Would be better to just find a writer who keeps a story together, which Kruger SHOULD be doing given his past work.

Ending Soon On eBay

G1 Transformers autobot WHEELJACK #3 - Time Remaining: 7 days 17 hours 27 minutes 12 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Masterpiece Thundercracker  Brand New Toys R us Exclusive !! - Time Remaining: 7 days 7 hours 43 minutes 57 seconds
G1 Transformers autobot SUNSTREAKER - Time Remaining: 7 days 17 hours 44 minutes 39 seconds
original G1 Transformers WHEELJACK R+L CLEAR WING LOT parts - Time Remaining: 7 days 17 hours 32 minutes 33 seconds
TRANSFORMERS MOVIE RAMJET MINT COMP. 2008 FREE S/H - Time Remaining: 7 days 6 hours 3 minutes 16 seconds
G1 Transformers dinobot SNARL WEAPONS PARTS LOT #2 sword, gun, launcher, missile - Time Remaining: 7 days 18 hours 34 minutes 38 seconds
Transformers G1 1985 DEFENSOR combiner hasbro takara - Time Remaining: 7 days 20 hours 36 minutes 32 seconds
Lot Of (6) Transformers DOTM Human Alliance Sideswipe w/ Sergeant Chaos/Icepick - Time Remaining: 1 day 14 hours 22 minutes 39 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #156 - Gestalt Theory