Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far)

Transformers News: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far)

Monday, July 14th, 2014 3:05AM CDT

Category: Live Action Movie News
Posted by: Autobot032   Views: 18,133

Thanks to Seibertron.com member VirusCarnage we have a link showing that not only is Age Of Extinction the biggest film of the year (so far, Apes or Guardians could take first place), but it did it in 2.4 weeks! That beats the previous 2014 record holder, X-Men: Days Of Future Past, by $21,158,000 and 5 weeks! For awhile there, we had some good news and some semi- bad news when it came to the box office, because domestic numbers are still down, but they're getting better. The film's close to breaking even with it's domestic total currently at $209,031,000, which is very close to the $210 million it cost to make it. If nothing else, it'll at least break even domestically, which won't make it a total dud here. This also doesn't account for the impending home video sales that'll be coming this fall.

To see this year's chart, click here: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/cha ... 014&p=.htm

Credit(s): Box Office Mojo, VirusCarnage
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590591)
Posted by Slashercon on July 14th, 2014 @ 5:16am CDT
Cthulhunicron wrote:
noctorro wrote:
It scored lower than ROTF on Rotten Tomatoes, the guys who only like The Godfather II and Amelie.

Rotten Tomatoes gave X-Men Days of Future Past a 92% rating; they gave the Matrix an 87%. Just because someone doesn't like the Michael Bay Transformers movies doesn't mean that they don't enjoy sci-fi/action movies.

Take me for instance. I like Star Wars, Pacific Rim, Aliens, Robocop, Terminator, Predator, the Matrix, the Avengers, Iron Man, and Batman Begins. However, I can't stand the live-action Transformers movies. To me, they have sporadic moments of entertaining action and cool-looking robots, but for the most part I just find them to be unbearable. All of those other movies I mentioned, I can watch from start to finish and enjoy them in their entirety. On the rare occasions where I watch one of the Transformers films, I pretty much have to skip about 75% of each movie.

Love all the movies you mentioned with the exceptions of Pacific Rim (it was just okay for me) , Robobcop and The Matrix only because I haven't seen them (yet). You also make very valid points on people liking action oriented movies that aren't the live action movies.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590592)
Posted by Slashercon on July 14th, 2014 @ 5:31am CDT
Sub-Prime wrote:Let me see if I can find a few of them that critics bitch about.

1. Micheal Bay showed ass shots in TF films? Ok we're not gonna talk about how Avengers had a nice as shot of Black Widow that wasn't mentioned as a negative.
The shot wasn't in advertising lol. Not only that, but I can't even remember what scene it was where as with the Transformers films, I can sadly recall several times where I've seen these shots.

Sub-Prime wrote:2. Micheal Bay likes pretty women in his movies only? So every chick in other movies are all down right ugly then.
There's only maybe 2-3 "pretty women" in these movies. I don't get it.

Sub-Prime wrote:3. Women wear skimpy stuff in his movies? A lot of women wear skimpy stuff in real life and in other movies that the same critics don't complain about.
This is just petty. Half agree here.

Sub-Prime wrote:4. All I see is explosions!explosions! and too much destruction? Why yes of course the Transformers aren't regular men fighting martial arts. They are big giant robots with futuristic weaponry for fighting.
Honestly, James Cameron seems to have more explosions in his films than Bay (IMO of course). Then again, I like Cameron's films more-so than Bay's. Pacific Rim had bigger robots and still had seemingly less explosions though.

Sub-Prime wrote:5. Incoherent plot? Yet numerous folks understood what was going on.
Point for you. People often only think of movies via trailers and clips without actually watching them in their entirety. They make assumptions.

Sub-Prime wrote:6. Unlikable characters? I actually liked Cade, Harold,Joshua,Tessa and Savoy's characters. 5/6 main characters.
N/A for me.

Sub-Prime wrote:7.Micheal Bay believes in statutory rape? Smdh with this one.
I've never even heard of this complaint before.

Sub-Prime wrote:8. The dialogue is terrible? Not every character is gonna speak like a super intelligent character.
Often characters will speak as in previous directors' works. There's "Bay-talk", "Whedon-talk", "Shyamalan-talk" (the worst of the bunch), etc.

Sub-Prime wrote:9. Micheal Bay is racist? Just because a character is called Lucky Charms it makes him racist. How about Cade just having a weird sense of humor? He plays a character with a bad temper. He is also a very angry dad in this so I could see him being kind of f'd up to Shane.
Bay clearly isn't racist, otherwise he wouldn't keep making movies with diverse casts in them.

Sub-Prime wrote:10. In Transformers 2 the twins was considered racist robots for their words to Leo? The twins was obviously stupid bots who mirrored their mannerism through the world wide web . I understand that little kids are watching the movie and it might come across as vulgar. But let's be real these kids is going to learn hateful words irregardless and their parents probably already taught them it. I remember when Obama first ran for president and the things folks had their kids saying on TV about Obama was f'd up.
Um, ok then. Agreed for the www part.

Society is just too sensitive about a lot of things.[/quote] Including negativity.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590593)
Posted by Clunker on July 14th, 2014 @ 5:56am CDT
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590594)
Posted by Slashercon on July 14th, 2014 @ 5:58am CDT
Sub-Prime wrote:
Evil_the_Nub wrote:
Burn wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
VirusCarnage wrote:I personally think that people hate the TF movies because it's 'cool' to hate them and because critics like to crap on Michael Bay.

On a more positive not AoE is #1 on the 2014 Box Office charts!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/cha ... 014&p=.htm

That's exactly what it is. Especially with AOE. It fixed everything that everyone complained about with the first 3, and they still love to attack it. All they ever say is that it's "long and loud." And the people who have tried to explain why the movie was "dumb" or "stupid," I've been able to disprove them. None of them ever said a word back to me about it. Even a professional.

It was too long.

The Lord of the Rings movies are just as long, if not longer, and they're some of the most highly praised movies of all time. Gone with the Wind is even longer. Why do the critics suddenly have a problem with a movie being too long?

It's been this way since the first movie, everything they complain about there's a movie out there that's far worse, but higher rated. They don't like the humor, but loved Ted. They don't like the shaky came, but Cloverfield was good. Some things they complain about just don't make any logical sense. Like too much action, in an action movie? That's like giving a comedy a bad review because it's too funny.

It's just a bunch of high school level social circle bullshit. Michael Bay is the most popular guy in school and the critics are the nerds in the AV club who just can't stand him for no real reason.

My favorite post! I'm glad some folks have seen the critics BS that I have noticed for a while.

I"m going to be the odd one here.
1. The Lord of The Rings warranted a long run time due to everything in those movies actually being important to the story and characters as well as epic battles. I can't speak about AOE, but for DOTM, that movie definitely felt a tad long to me. Not because of its running time, but because it was trying my patience. Some scenes were pointless, unnecessary and the scenes I would like the makers to focus on weren't. The ending was the biggest offender. No aftermath at all. Just a sudden stop. Reminds me of that terrible Halloween remake by Rob Zombie. I would prefer a movie to focus on the important aspects first and foremost.
2. What works/doesn't work for one movie may or not necessarily work for another. For example, Saving Private Ryan also utilized a shaky cam effect but it was used to better effect there to put emphasis on the horrors of war. Whereas an action film that focus on running and hand to hand fights is instantly muted by the shaky cam. If a film has great choreography, it won't be fully appreciated when you can see the action clearly.
3. Ted is a raunchy comedy whose target audience is purposely for those who enjoy that kind of humor, while the Transformers films are meant to reach a broader demographic. Not everyone is going to go into a movie and enjoy the brand of humor presented.
4. An action film CAN have too much action. More and more action =/= a good movie. Your argument is very illogical as a comedy can't theoretically be "too funny". It can however have too many jokes and slapstick, which can or cannot work depending on how humorous it may be.
5. More often then not, I find the high school "social circle" stereotype to be the nerds wanting to BE the most popular guy.

My two cents.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590596)
Posted by RhA on July 14th, 2014 @ 6:12am CDT
Slashercon wrote:

My two cents.

Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590598)
Posted by Bleak5170 on July 14th, 2014 @ 6:16am CDT
Evil_the_Nub wrote:
Burn wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:

On a more positive not AoE is #1 on the 2014 Box Office charts!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/cha ... 014&p=.htm

It was too long.

Because a really long movie is even more unbearable when it's not very good to begin with. The other movies you mentioned were all awesome and would have been whether they were 90 minutes or three hours.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590604)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 14th, 2014 @ 6:41am CDT
I thought that the length of the movie being good or bad depended on the content. If it had been a pure TF story (for example, my dream of a straight adaptation of the Marvel Comics) I could have sat for 5-6 hours and watched it. But as the Bay movies are, I think there is simply too much human stuff in it, whether it be Sam's family, Cade's family, or the military. If those elements were reduced (and in AoE the military aspect was, thankfully), they could either tighten up the run time a bit or replace human time with TF time. That would only improve the movies. Don't get me wrong, I like the entire series so far, I'm not bashing it. I do have my favorite and my least favorite, but I'd still rather see them on screen than not. As for the cash they're raking in, I hope it burns all the bashers' and critics asses how successful the franchise is so far. I know Bay is laughing all the way to the bank. And why shouldn't he? Regardless of the quality of the films meeting fans' expectations or not, it's making money, and in the end that's what matters in Hollywood.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590620)
Posted by SlyTF1 on July 14th, 2014 @ 9:22am CDT
Clunker wrote:There was a shot near the beginning where it was the dad talking to his daughter and all you saw was the daughters in short shorts and her tanned legs, it was like trying to redo the whole megan fox scene where she's leaning over bumblebee's engine all over again.

At least it was a bit relevant to the story, this time.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590621)
Posted by cruizerdave on July 14th, 2014 @ 9:34am CDT
It's a sad day for movies.

I'm sorry, but Bay's films are terrible and appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590623)
Posted by SlyTF1 on July 14th, 2014 @ 9:39am CDT
cruizerdave wrote:It's a sad day for movies.

Yes, that's why it's the highest grossing movie of the year. People always say the movies "appeal to the lowest common denominator." What does that even mean? It sounds like some tagline everyone who doesn't like these movies, who have no imagination whatsoever, spout to put down those who do like them. Who are the highest common denominators? People who don't like the movies? What have you contributed to the world?
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590625)
Posted by cruizerdave on July 14th, 2014 @ 9:52am CDT

Then you personally have no idea what you're talking about.

I prefer my movies without plot points that include robot piss, dogs humping, weird racists robots, racist depictions of most black characters on screen, gay sex in bathroom stall jokes, humans that all act like they are cocaine all the time, and endless amounts of irrelevant plot threads and characters who have no bearing on the story.

These movies go beyond dumb. They are assaultively stupid. It's terrible news for people who like good movies that these continue to be successful. Of course in a world where people can't get enough of Kim and Kanye, I guess it shouldn't be surprising that people pay for this garbage.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590627)
Posted by cruizerdave on July 14th, 2014 @ 10:02am CDT
SlyTF1 wrote:
cruizerdave wrote:It's a sad day for movies.

1. What does that even mean?
2. Who are the highest common denominators? People who don't like the movies?
3. What have you contributed to the world?

1. It means these movies are designed for idiots. It doesn't matter that the plots are nonsense, the robots aren't characters and the most of the humans are, for the most part, terrible characters. It doesn't matter because, look pretty ’plosions, special effects, over-saturated colors and hot girls!

2. People who forgo seeing Bayformers and go see the latest X-men again. I'm no movie snob, but I've had a distain for Bay since Armageddon.

3. Really? I post an opinion about a series of movies that opinions range from "cinematic excrement" on the low end to "it's just a dumb action movie, what do you expect?" on the high end, and you're calling me out to justify my existence? What am I supposed to do, give you a list of my charitable donations and hours spent volunteering in my community? Because I could do that if that's what you want.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590628)
Posted by RhA on July 14th, 2014 @ 10:07am CDT
cruizerdave wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
cruizerdave wrote:It's a sad day for movies.

1. What does that even mean?
2. Who are the highest common denominators? People who don't like the movies?
3. What have you contributed to the world?

Well, you certainly did not get any more nice from watching all those high-end movies.

Would you care for a hug?
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590629)
Posted by SlyTF1 on July 14th, 2014 @ 10:14am CDT
cruizerdave wrote:

Then you personally have no idea what you're talking about.

cruizerdave wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
cruizerdave wrote:It's a sad day for movies.

1. What does that even mean?
2. Who are the highest common denominators? People who don't like the movies?
3. What have you contributed to the world?

Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590631)
Posted by Clunker on July 14th, 2014 @ 10:18am CDT
I think it has the proportions all off, that's the major problem I think.

If I was to compare it to Pacific Rim which is my go to film that delivers action with a bit of substance on the side then it would be something like this.

With Pacific Rim you get a general outline of the story, monsters are coming through a rift, men have made giant piloted robots to beat them and two pilots, a rookie and veteran with sad pasts come together to beat them down. There's a lot of robot on monster action with the context of the pilots relationship taking a back seat for the time being.

With Transformers you have these intelligent senitent robots that have come to earth and cause a lot of trouble as they are split in two by warring factions and the humans are caught up in the middle of this, but it's not about the transformers beating each other to a pulp it's about the humans trying to get a one up on both of the transformer factions and in the process just messing everything up, pushing the two warring factions to the sideline as two "human factions" i.e the hero (Cade) and the villain (Fraiser) fight to do what they believe is right for humanity.

However there is a third faction which is neither autobot or decepticon but who has allied with the "evil" human faction who in the end splits in two when part of it realized the poop storm they've created. Due to the this the decepticons briefly get the upper hand and return, only for the autobots to introduce a fourth faction in the form of the dinobots.

So in total you have 6 elements in the film competing for screen time. Previous to this film you only have 3 to 4 but even then it still suffered by the common denominator - There's to much time given to the humans and not enough in developing the other factions.

The autobots have new transformers you've not been introduced to before and are drastic to the point they get by by their stereotypes (cunning samurai robot, gun loving drill sergeant bots, all for himself desperado bot)They have very little dialogue and the dialogue they do have is rather unremarkable, I mean did anyone else find it odd they fell into in fighting as soon as Optimus turned up, shouldn't of that solidified them?

Then there's the decepitcons which are actually absent for the majority of the film and when they do arrive have like 2 random lines, less than in the first film which had barely any either and in general have a new transforming style but apparently still die as simply as the previous films decepticons.

Then there's the bounty hunter faction who was pretty cool and had some decent lines and interaction with the evil humans but for all intent and purposes was limited to just one transformer whilst the others were lackies.

Then there's Wahlberg and his family who takes up the majority of the screen time with all sort of things like wanting to create robots himself, to being an over protective father, to having to deal with a co-worker and having their house repossessed and fighting off an estate agent. To then having to deal with finding out his daughter is not so innocent and has an older boyfriend who hides behind some legal defence that goes by the name of the Romeo and Juliet defence..then his daughter gets caught up in the action and they have to rescue her and on and on and on.

Finally there's the evil corporation faction headed by a not so bad guy, just misguided and an evil mastermind fraiser with a hired thug who goes head to head with Wahlberg and his family all because they think they know best.

...Oh and I forgot, you also have the dinobots who show up at the end, get hit in the face by Optimus to make them do as they are told and then go on a rampage.

Compare all that to Pacific Rim, you have humans and their jaegers, you have kaiju and you have government intervention who thinks they know best, but for the most part you have at least half of the film having the jaegers actually fighting the kaiju.

Where as in Transformers you have over half the film with the humans front stage (what was with the chinese government bit, it was so out of place) and then you have the transformers either sitting around whilst the humans chat or you have them fighting with a tiny bit of dialogue from them between the two and whilst the humans are on screen, they're fighting in the background somewhere, and you have to imagine the majority of the stuff that's going on.

Pacific Rim delivers on the entertainment front, you want robots fighting monsters, it does exactly that with some context. You want Transformers fighting Transformers? it kind of does that but only for about a quarter of the film as it struggles to give you an adequate story line which becomes to convoluted with so many things going on. It's the same thing I kind of thought for the new Godzilla after I'd seen that, but more so.

If this film had been just about Lockdown coming to Earth to capture or kill the transformers and Optimus ends up finding the dinobots with the help of that archaeologist at the start it would of been perfect, but no it added evil humans and family problems and a dodgy resurrection of Megatron, who could of been reintroduced as the key feature of the next film.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590632)
Posted by cruizerdave on July 14th, 2014 @ 10:18am CDT
RhA wrote:
cruizerdave wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
cruizerdave wrote:It's a sad day for movies.

1. What does that even mean?
2. Who are the highest common denominators? People who don't like the movies?
3. What have you contributed to the world?

Would you care for a hug?

Ha, ha! Yes, thank you for the hug.

No, it just drives me nuts when people say things like, "you only hate those movies because it's cool."

Hey, if you like these things, fine. That’s your deal. But when someone says my opinion is based on trying to be cool, that’s ridiculous.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590634)
Posted by RhA on July 14th, 2014 @ 10:22am CDT
cruizerdave wrote:
RhA wrote:
cruizerdave wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
cruizerdave wrote:It's a sad day for movies.

1. What does that even mean?
2. Who are the highest common denominators? People who don't like the movies?
3. What have you contributed to the world?

Would you care for a hug?

Ha, ha! Yes, thank you for the hug.

I agree. And don't let Sly's comments get to you. He loves the movies, but has been feeling the need to defend them a little too long.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590637)
Posted by cruizerdave on July 14th, 2014 @ 10:32am CDT
SlyTF1 wrote:1. Good news; AOE has absolutely none of that. But I guess you'll still find a way to complain about it.

2. In my experience, it's the idiots who don't like the movies. They just hop onto the bandwagon mentality and don't know how to think for themselves. And they aren't "dumb action movies." The people who say that are the idiots I mentioned before.

1. I was fooled into watching the third one based on the same claims. So I got gay sex in the bathroom stall gag instead.
Sorry, fool me once, shame on you, fool me three times, shame on me. I'm not falling for it this time.
2. Oh, I hated these movies long before it was cool. I was posting criticisms of them when I got my hands on a leaked copy of the first one's script months before it was released. People assured me that they "fixed all that" during shooting. Yet Bumblepee was still there.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590641)
Posted by SlyTF1 on July 14th, 2014 @ 10:51am CDT
cruizerdave wrote:

I'm not trying to fool you. Just stating facts. I don't care if you believe me or not.
Re: Age Of Extinction Now The Highest Grossing Film Of 2014 (So Far) (1590651)
Posted by Dr Va'al on July 14th, 2014 @ 11:38am CDT
UK based cinema chain company Vue Cinemas have posted a brief featurette including producers from the Transformers: Age of Extinction movie talking about the RealD 3D technology used in the Michael Bay film, from Lorenzo DiBonaventura to Mark Vahradian to Ian Bryce. Check it out embedded below!

Ending Soon On eBay

STAR WARS TRANSFORMERS MILLENNIUM FALCON HAN SOLO Millenium - Time Remaining: 4 days 19 hours 19 minutes 18 seconds
Megatron Decepticon Go-Bot Transformers Generation 2 G2 1995 Hasbro - Time Remaining: 6 days 5 hours 5 minutes 15 seconds
HASBRO TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS PLAYSKOOL HEROES - SALVAGE EPIC SERIES ACTION FI - Time Remaining: 13 days 17 hours 12 minutes 39 seconds
Vintage G1 Transformers Whirl Photon Beam Rifle Gun - Time Remaining: 5 days 14 hours 47 minutes 55 seconds
G1 Transformers autobot WHEELJACK (cracked windshield) - Time Remaining: 5 days 13 hours 52 minutes 18 seconds
Transformers: Generations Titans Return - Autobot Infinitus & Sentinel Prime - Time Remaining: 21 days 14 hours 8 minutes 31 seconds
Transformers CLASSICS RAMJET MOC MINT 2006 - Time Remaining: 6 days 5 hours 9 minutes 31 seconds
Takara Tomy 2008 Transformers USA Version Masterpiece Starscream Action Figure - Time Remaining: 4 days 22 hours 49 minutes 25 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #160 - Grappling with Memory