Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date

Monday, June 30th, 2014 2:31AM CDT

Category: Movie News
Posted by: Autobot032   Views: 21,337

FXGuide has posted an in depth article that takes you behind the scenes of the creation of the all brand new Transformers for Age Of Extinction. This was not an easy process as they had to utilize new methods to do facial motion capture to bring the Autobots and Decepticons to life like they never had before.

ILM visual effects supervisor Scott Farrar describes the show as the “heaviest data wrangling picture I’ve ever done, the largest in ILM’s history. It was the largest crew I’ve ever had – 500 people. It was IMAX and 3D so you’re rendering twice as much at least. Our work is about 90 minutes worth of the movie.”

One of the most expressive, and complicated, robot faces in the film was Lockdown’s, who was voiced by Mark Ryan. “We used Mark Ryan’s face as a heavy anchor on how his face should move,” explains O’Connor. “Using his face as reference, we got a pretty bang-on match to the actor and I think that adds a heck of a lot of detail to the performance because we’re pulling up nuances to what the actor did.”

Transformers News: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date

You can read the full article by clicking here.

Credit(s): FXGuide

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586793)
Posted by Autobot032 on June 30th, 2014 @ 2:40am CDT
SamYarbrough77 wrote:Hoi Chummers
I'm the biggest G1 Decepticon fan, Galvatron plays 2nd fiddle to Lockdown? If my memory serves right with the prior movies, This means Galvatron maybe get's one line to say in the whole movie? I was hoping to hear more g1 Galvy. Wonder if he is true to the character or is a brand new character. Sorry Admin is this is a reoccurring thread.

We do have a pre-existing discussion thread, which is located here: age-of-extinction-discussion-thread-t100662.php (it has spoilers, so if you don't want to know more than this, be careful when perusing it.)

As for Galvatron, he doesn't receive nearly the screentime he deserves, but the scenes that he's in, he dominates them. He's quite a powerful presence and looks to be shaping up to be quite a worrisome problem for the Autobots.

He has several lines to say and some of them are really cool. (I won't repeat them here unless you want to know.) I can tell you this, he does not sound like G1 Galvatron. He's voiced by Frank Welker, but it's not the Galvatron voice you're used to.
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586796)
Posted by SamYarbrough77 on June 30th, 2014 @ 2:51am CDT
Autobot032 wrote:
SamYarbrough77 wrote:Hoi Chummers

Aw, cool anyway. They deviated his look so much. I will have to check it out thank you. I thought they would let Welker just go ahead and do G1 Galvy.
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586805)
Posted by Shuttershock on June 30th, 2014 @ 3:11am CDT
SamYarbrough77 wrote:
Autobot032 wrote:
SamYarbrough77 wrote:Hoi Chummers

He sounded a lot like Frank Welker's "new Megatron" voice. I remember during either Prime or one of the games, Welker talked about how he had to evolve his performance from a shouty G1 voice to a more low-pitched rasp, like he's exhaling pure evil and it hurts just to be him.

All in all it's a nice voice, he just doesn't get many lines (again). All they want is a generic monster, so the throaty rasp is fine. I'd be more angry if they got David Kaye to do it, but still gave him no time to be eloquent.
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586806)
Posted by noctorro on June 30th, 2014 @ 3:53am CDT
To hell with Rotten Tomatoes,

all these guys want is everyone to watch Amélie and The Godfather 2
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586816)
Posted by Sub-Prime on June 30th, 2014 @ 5:55am CDT
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586818)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 30th, 2014 @ 6:26am CDT
Sub-Prime wrote:No matter who directs TF there will always be someone who isn't satisfied. A new director would probably give the humans as much screen time or more over the bots than most of you guys would like. The only TF movie that will be loved by everyone on here is a War For Cybertron type movie.

Even then there would be someone who wouldn't be happy.

Here's a thought though, to all those who feel strongly about the story the film used, what would you have done? I'm not being sarcastic or anything, it's a genuine question. Of course, I know that the story is one of many criticisms with the franchise but one thing at a time.
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586819)
Posted by ZeroWolf on June 30th, 2014 @ 6:27am CDT

Even then there would be someone who wouldn't be happy.

Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586822)
Posted by Burn on June 30th, 2014 @ 6:37am CDT
How about someone answer me this?

Why does the director get all the blame and not the script writer(s)?
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586823)
Posted by Sub-Prime on June 30th, 2014 @ 6:45am CDT
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586824)
Posted by Burn on June 30th, 2014 @ 6:52am CDT
Sub-Prime wrote:I ask this question to Micheal Bay haters everyday! They seems to think he writes the films. It's just commonplace to hate the guy now-a-days.

Exactly!

The same role he's done MORE TIMES than director, but is he criticised for I Am Number Four? The Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Nightmare on Elm Street remakes? Nope.

What makes me laugh though? He's Michael Bay, he doesn't care if you hate him.
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586826)
Posted by noctorro on June 30th, 2014 @ 6:56am CDT
Hate is such an overused word nowadays anyway.

Nobody seems to praise anything, I think the action sequences are freaking awesome and never seen before. But oh noo, some sex jokes and toilet humor and 'everything' about the movie is a total waste of time.

okay, negative Nancy mode off.
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586827)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 30th, 2014 @ 6:58am CDT
Toralei_De_Nile wrote:To me it seemed like Optimus was moments away from death in that barn... Apparently he just had a tooth ache.

I don't know about you, but sometimes when I get a tooth ache it feels like I'm moments away from death...

[quote]R.I.P. Ratchet T_T[/quote]

Yes. The hardest part of the movie for me. The 1st time was kinda sad, then I saw the movie again and knew it was coming, and it actually depressed me for a little bit. I was the same way with Ironhide, but at least Ironhide got it quick and relatively painless. Ratchet was chased down, shot a bunch of times, had 1 leg and 1 arm severed, the whole time begging the humans to stop, and then finally his "soul" gets ripped out. But, he never gave up Prime, and went out with backbone. However, it begs the question: what did Lockdown do with his spark? Is it on the ship somewhere? If so, can he be brought back with a new body? I hope so.

Anyway, things I loved about the film:

- Hound. Everything about him. My favorite character in AoE. Good lines, good voice actor, and I loved the fact that they made him fat, yet he kicked the most ass in the whole movie. Even more than the "Dinobots," Prime and Bee.

- NO MILITARY. For me, the previous 3 films were ruined somewhat by Bay being on the military's ballz so much. This time, it was bot-on-bot action, the way it should be.

The above also made me think of something else. Did Megatron survive Prime's onslaught at the end of DoTM because he already didn't have a spark? It would also explain why he kept deteriorating throughout the movies. He didn't have that "lifeforce" (as explained in AoE) inside him. At the end of the 1st film, Sam uses the Allspark to beat Megatron by putting it into his spark, and effectively destroying it, as Optimus had explained it earlier in that movie. So in RoTF, did he just awaken because of the shard? He couldn't have used the spark of the Constructicon whose body was used to rebuild him, because then it wouldn't have been Megatron. So does that mean Megatron was without a spark ever since the end of the 1st film?

Things I didn't like about the film:

- Still too much human drama. The father/daughter/boyfriend thing could have been cut down by half the time, and it would have been an actual positive on the film, as well as cut back on the enormously long running time. Wahlberg's acting made a big difference as opposed to Shia, but the daughter character was too damn annoying with her constant badgering of her father not being able to take care of her.

- As I said above, Ratchet's death. Honestly, they could have gotten rid of either Crosshairs or Drift, and kept Ratchet as the 5th Bot. I think he and Hound would have had a great chemistry. But I understand, gotta sell the new toys.

I will reiterate, overall I liked the film very much, I give it a 3/5, simply due to the misuse of the "Dinobots" and the overdoing of the human drama. I have yet to see it in 3D, so I will probably do that this coming weekend.
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586828)
Posted by Burn on June 30th, 2014 @ 6:59am CDT
noctorro wrote:Hate is such an overused word nowadays anyway.

Yeah, it is. There were a few things I disliked about the movie, but there's no point in hating on it. Too negative, I try to keep positive.
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586830)
Posted by Sub-Prime on June 30th, 2014 @ 7:16am CDT
Did anybody notice that Joshua Joyce wanted to turn Galvatron into looking like Nemesis Prime? He wanted to create a controlled version of Optimus! I found that part cool in the movie when he was mad about Galvatron looking evil.
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586831)
Posted by Bleak5170 on June 30th, 2014 @ 7:18am CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:

[quote]R.I.P. Ratchet T_T

[/quote]

Highly unlikely Hasbro will bring back a "dead", relatively minor character, but OMG I would be the happiest person ever if they did this. Just can't see it happening though as once a TF is dead they usually stay that way, (major characters not included of course).
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586833)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on June 30th, 2014 @ 7:34am CDT
Mindmaster wrote:Just a quick reminder, fellas: it's alright to voice opinions, but please tone down the language. We have a wide demographic that visits the site, and we'd like to maintain a positive vibe. Thanks! ;)

:roll:
>:oP

I finally saw DOTM on Sunday and I have to say that I enjoyed it. It was so much better than I anticipated too and maybe the set up for the next movie will provide more TF and less humans.

I can see the 5th one split between the autobots on earth with Cade working for Joshua's company and the Autobots while Prime meets up with other space faring Autobots in a quest to confront the creators.
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586834)
Posted by dragons on June 30th, 2014 @ 7:38am CDT
Burn wrote:

Exactly!

What makes me laugh though? He's Michael Bay, he doesn't care if you hate him.

not fan of freddy but I liked it, Friday 13th was good remake on character, I like number four wanted sequel how it would turn out, tmnt I look forwad to it,.

the last ship on tnt looks god to see but Idont watch a lot of tv to see it.

people should think if there was another yes as another memebe said would give humans more screen time and less bots in it, but not all directors do there work when making movie bay did and twist things around he added g1 to live action bits and picecs of g1 and rid series, first gijoe didn't turn out well characters look sigma 6 exo suites, but sequel did director like series he know how chARACTERS should look and act, batman 3 and 4 not directed by tim burton it made batman movies colorful in city with lights neon, city kept getting bigger and bigge with each sequel and bat nipples on costumes, with batmobile look more of hotrod with out roof that's all im naming for any other movie for director who has made movies.

fans don't like how bots look in bay movies don't watch series directors have some say how characters look and act in scenes.

good movie understood everything except galvarton having hole in his chest part I didn't get hah nemesis prime trying to look like prime evil double like that.
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586836)
Posted by Gurgintius Maximus on June 30th, 2014 @ 7:46am CDT
Burn wrote:

Exactly!

What makes me laugh though? He's Michael Bay, he doesn't care if you hate him.

I by no means hate Bay. He obviously is a successful director and even though I would struggle to remember a film of his I was a fan of without looking at his body of work, I am sure one or two exist. As far as him being the director and taking most of the heat, I think it in the same vein as a goalie or a quarterback getting a disproportionate amount of blame for a teams "failure". Not always justified but reality just the same.

That being said, I don't think its arguable that his signature is not all over the films, most of his movies follow the same basic formula. He doesn't always use the same writers but the movies still share a common theme. He obviously has a lot of input on the writing team, add this, take out that etc.

I don't think there is anything wrong with you staying positive about things, thats generally a good quality but on the same token it isn't wrong to not enjoy something and to say so. Not everybody enjoys Andy Worhol as an artist, are detractors just not as enlightened as fans? I think it would be kinda creepy if everything that was ever made by a "professional" anything was universally liked simply because I or we could not do it better.

I will fully admit that some of my distaste for all the films stems from my inability or unwillingness to ignore the source material and my desire for any movie based on it to stay a bit more true. I am also glad that Transformers is big right now largely in part of these movies.

Are the movies bad imo? No. Emotionally satisfying for me personally? No. Am I glad people enjoy them? Yes, even though the films success means I will likely go unsatisfied. A worse fate would be the material never got attention and Transformers as a brand suffered, so I will take it.

If I may pose a question to you Burn, Do you enjoy the new Spiderman movies? Did you enjoy the old Spiderman movies?
If yes to the new and no to the old, did your opinion toward the old change once the new was made? Assuming you like Spiderman at all that is...

I ask because I thought the old ones were decent but lacking something I could not put my finger on. But with the same source material and a new director (and writers) I found the reboots very satisfying as a fan. Same holds true for me with the Batman franchise (excluding 3)
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586838)
Posted by FortyDeuce on June 30th, 2014 @ 7:47am CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:My reaction when the dinobots only showed up at the end only to fight without any character devlopment.

Exactly how I felt.
Re: Age Of Extinction Was ILM's Biggest Data Project To Date (1586847)
Posted by TurboMMaster on June 30th, 2014 @ 8:42am CDT
Skywarp64 wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:He was a joke in G1. What's changed?

Nah, G1 Megs got shit DONE. I mean, by 2005, he successfully conquered Cybertron.
Almost each Megatron (including thi one) conquered Cybertron or much of it at some point, except fo Animated. And most of them was able to do so without beign Prime's punching bag all the time.

[quote]He then succeeded in killing Optimus Prime, albeit being incapacitated in the process[/quote] Onky because of Hot Rod, and this didn't last long.

[quote]- Galvatron. And the fact that he's not a completely new character, but Megatron "reborn." Technically that's Megatron's mind in a new body. And he has no spark, not inside him anyway.[/quote]It is not so "new body" since it was builded from Megatron remains, with addition of Transforium. Also, it is possible that he have Ratchet parts in it, witch makes him kinda creppy. But isn't lack of Spark makes him kinda Cybertronian equivalent of inteligent undead? I like to thing that he is kinda like a Lich, since he lives without "soul" in his body, have his own mind and free will and is able to create army of mooks to aid him in combat.

And yeah, beign exposed to Allspark's pure energy twice could have a side effect of making Megatron immortal. This could be the answer about "How he surived in Chicago stuff."

[quote]- The man-made Transformers' transformation. I do like Galvatron, and the fact that he's a truck, but that form of transformation is just way out there. I am trying to understand why they did it that way, because they learned to manipulate "Transformium" but I hope once Galvatron became self-aware, he would revert to actual transformation by shifting body parts.[/quote] Isn't this of of his greatest adventages? Ability to turn into floating cloud of metal makes him virtually unstopable.

Also, I'm kinda suprised that Joshua didn't paid in any way for what he did. I now that he wasn't a bad guy, but all what he did should cost him.

Burn wrote:Don't like the new TMNT? Blame Michael Bay! Even though he's JUST the Producer. He's not the Director, he's not the Script Writer, just the producer.

Isn't producer the guy who puts his money on a table? If so, he seems to be quite powerfull person to me. It's hard to make commertial movie without money, you know. And if you have the money, why don't use it to turn movie your way?