Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art

Transformers News: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art

Wednesday, May 15th, 2013 8:18AM CDT

Category: People News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 25,693

Our friend Ken Christiansen dropped by to let us know Hasbro has given him permission to share and discuss some of his concept work for the Aligned Continuity. First up, we have his design for Optimus Prime's alt mode, which was featured in Transformers Vault: The Complete Transformers Universe. His main goal for this piece was to maintain the conventional cab style truck mode as seen in the live action movies.

Last but not least, don't forget to visit Ken at this year's BotCon Artist Alley!

Ken Christiansen wrote:The request was to keep him a long nose, as he now appears in the film series, and if I remember right, that was just about it. Of course I ventured the question. "I don't have to put those flames on him, do I?" But I did keep in line with the movie logic of the long nose, giving him more mass to work with in robot mode, and we added in a roof fairing over the extended cab to build it out even more.

Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art
Credit(s): Ken Christiansen

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1487491)
Posted by Mindmaster on May 15th, 2013 @ 8:28am CDT
Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1487493)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on May 15th, 2013 @ 8:32am CDT
Mindmaster wrote:They should have kept that G1 stripe. Dunno why, just looks more attractive to me. >:oP

the white/silver stripe that goes from the nose of the truck to the rear? That's on there. Silver/grey colours, blue, red, yellow details, looks all good to me! I liked the long-nosed trucks more than the flat ones anyhow.
Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1487494)
Posted by Mindmaster on May 15th, 2013 @ 8:39am CDT
Fires_Of_Inferno wrote:

Like I said, the stripe makes it look much more attractive.
Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1487509)
Posted by robotmel on May 15th, 2013 @ 10:12am CDT
:lol:
Came down folks, they are quite clearly two very different versions of our beloved Autobot Leader! ;)
Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1487517)
Posted by Moonshot on May 15th, 2013 @ 10:56am CDT
That may be the best Optimus earth truck mode I have seen. Although I am partial to the cab-over design from my childhood, this is sweet. Very glad the guy didn't have to use the flames I really dislike those. Is this going to be a new show, game, toy? I'm happy with all three =P~
Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1487522)
Posted by Eagleblaster on May 15th, 2013 @ 11:40am CDT
Nice. I see the direction Hasbro is going in with paying attention to making figures like the live action movie. Very good.
Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1487531)
Posted by xyl360 on May 15th, 2013 @ 12:36pm CDT
Hey look, it's Staksimus Prime :P!
Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1487665)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 15th, 2013 @ 10:38pm CDT
Yet another reveal in a line of Aligned Continuity character concept art reveals from the Binder of Revelation. 8)

And it looks more reveals are on the way:
[quote]And stay tuned to the blog for the next couple of weeks, I got the green light to post a few more 'Aligned Continuity' Transformers concepts. But be prepared for the watermarks. It's the only way I can get these fully rendered images out on the internet...[/quote]
Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1487724)
Posted by MR Optimus Prime on May 16th, 2013 @ 10:12am CDT
Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1487727)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 16th, 2013 @ 10:17am CDT
MR Optimus Prime wrote:The whole we need to use the long nose semi for more mass is mute. You can use a larger sleeper cab COE design to get more mass.
Maybe they wanted to keep his truck mode at a reasonable size (rather than being ungodly huge) while still getting more mass for robot mode?
Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1487757)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 16th, 2013 @ 12:53pm CDT
It also looks like it could have been somewhat inspired by Movie 1 Voyager First Strike Optimus Prime.

Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1487760)
Posted by Mindmaster on May 16th, 2013 @ 12:56pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:It also looks to be the direct inspiration for Movie 1 Voyager First Strike Optimus Prime.

Yep, that's why the design looked vaguely familiar to me.
Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1487762)
Posted by MR Optimus Prime on May 16th, 2013 @ 1:01pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:

Yep, that's why the design looked vaguely familiar to me.

Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1487764)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 16th, 2013 @ 1:07pm CDT
MR Optimus Prime wrote:Sorry, I myself don't find one line of them resembling each other. Not even for inspiration.
Not even deco-wise (which is what I was getting at)?

Note that the blue paint on the toy's roof was added to give more blue to the Robot Mode's lower legs, since they would have ended up being all red.
Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1487793)
Posted by Sabrblade on May 16th, 2013 @ 3:03pm CDT
Just noticed the 2009 date on the image.

I'll correct my previous post about its similar deco to the Movie FS toy.
Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1488024)
Posted by El Duque on May 17th, 2013 @ 11:34am CDT
Our friend Ken Christiansen continues to reveal his Aligned Continuity concept art. Earlier this week we got a look at his Optimus Prime truck mode, today we get Megatron in tank form. Click here to visit Ken's blog, Bad Flip Productions, to read more. Ken can also be found on facebook at: Bad Flip Productions

Ken Christiansen wrote:The assignment was to envision a near-future tank, so I did a few quick sketches, got feedback from Siebenaler, and actually only did a colored line art pass, because of a time crunch. After the presentation and following feedback, I was asked to render it fully, with no changes, along with the Prime truck, that was also initially done as colored line art, for the same pitch.

Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1488027)
Posted by Eagleblaster on May 17th, 2013 @ 11:45am CDT
Are you kidding me. That's the best Megatron alt mode I ever saw.
I hope that these are going to be the movie figures. Hasbro pull out all the tricks for that figure. Make sure it has everything good.

I'm waiting for these live action movie toys. I'm going to open a savings account just for those figures, lml.

AND PLEASE, I NEED A LEADER MEGATRON.
Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1488028)
Posted by 1984forever on May 17th, 2013 @ 11:52am CDT
Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1488047)
Posted by Mindmaster on May 17th, 2013 @ 1:29pm CDT
84forever wrote:Hasbro seems to like the idea of Megatron being an earth tank with a G1 color scheme, so why isn't this tank on TV or store shelves? A retooled, recolored and enlarged universe G2 Megatron is a quick and easy step towards turning this concept into reality.

The Legends figure?

Re: Aligned Optimus Prime Truck Mode Concept Art (1488054)
Posted by Hotrodimust on May 17th, 2013 @ 2:36pm CDT
I like the prime as much as I like IDW prime but megatron I do not like as an earth tank I just don't sorry

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #145 - May Mayhem