AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change

Transformers News: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change

Thursday, June 5th, 2014 2:03AM CDT

Categories: Movie News, Toy News
Posted by: Autobot032   Views: 28,993

A running change on a figure is not uncommon, especially figures with very pointy edges, such as Dark Of The Moon Crankcase with his "middle finger" claw, which was then trimmed for what appears to be safety's sake. It's become apparent that Age Of Extinction is the next toy line to have this factory modification happen, and this time? It's Dinobot Slug's horns.

Seibertron took some pictures of a wave 1 figure, which was used to create Slug's gallery over here, and compared it with a wave 2 packaged figure and it showed a very noticeable change in which the horns are now rounded with very soft looking edges.

Seibertron included the packaging code in the picture below, and the number is 40941. The wave 1 packaging carries the following number: 40551. I've included that image from my personal collection. Fortunately, the codes aren't exactly necessary as the different horn tips are easily seen through the packaging bubble.

Without further ado, the images:

Transformers News: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change

Transformers News: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change

Transformers News: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change

Transformers News: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change

Transformers News: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change

Transformers News: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change

Transformers News: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change

Transformers News: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change

Transformers News: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change

Transformers News: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change

Keep your optics tuned to Seibertron.com for the latest in news and updates, plus the best galleries around.
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579599)
Posted by UltraPrimal on June 5th, 2014 @ 2:18am CDT
Man, it's such a small difference it took me a few seconds to actually notice it. Personally, I think I might prefer the rounded horns. The "chopped" ones to kind of look like someone came along and cut the tips off all of Slag/Slug's horns. I wonder if that's exactly what happened. Maybe he originally had pointy horns, but the saw it as a safety concern and caught it in the factory before the 1st wave shipped. If you look at the official images on the box, they do look pointier than either versions.
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579608)
Posted by Fifo on June 5th, 2014 @ 4:28am CDT
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579610)
Posted by That Bot on June 5th, 2014 @ 4:45am CDT
I picked up all of these guys on Saturday. I think I sent in an email report, but maybe I didn't, because I know I would have included a reference picture and I didn't see it on my host. Anyway, yeah, AOE wave 2 voyagers are in and so are the two-packs. As I mentioned previously, the 2-pack Grimlock has a better deco IMO, although it's not really a deal. Wave 2 deluxes had not shown up last I looked, but now I will have to poke around.
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579611)
Posted by MightyMagnus78 on June 5th, 2014 @ 5:20am CDT
Has the design of swords been changed as well or is it just the horns?
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579613)
Posted by dragons on June 5th, 2014 @ 5:38am CDT
Fifo wrote:Soft rubbery plastic, rounded tips. If a child can't be trusted not to blind themselves with a toy perhaps they're too young to have it. Give them a ball or soft teddy instead.

Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579634)
Posted by mattj972 on June 5th, 2014 @ 8:11am CDT
That's a cool looking figure.
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579641)
Posted by GuyIncognito on June 5th, 2014 @ 8:34am CDT
My mini-reviews of the new Deluxe figures:

Drift is really cool. Simple, classic car transformation combined with tight joints and good poseability. Has a "real" car chest; no fakery. Head sculpt is unique and cool. All four swords stow away in car mode. I like how the doors fold back to form armor for his upper arms. The only nits I have to pick are the lack of rotating wrists and limited ankle movement.

Strafe is awesome. I was confused at first because he's packaged with his upper body in bot mode and legs in beast mode. Most impressive is that he has a huge wingspan, but the wings fold up nicely behind his back in bot mode. You can give the bot mode a lot of different looks by playing around with the wings. I also love the silver paint on the wings. Posing him in beast mode is tricky, but that's always the case with bird-like alt modes. The ability to bend the wings so he sort of walks on all-fours is cool.

Slash is... exactly what I thought he would be. A cool-LOOKING beast mode and a crummy bot mode. I say cool-LOOKING best mode because it has little articulation aside from the lower jaw opening. There's not much you can do in terms of posing it, so it's play value is limited. I'm not sure how I feel about the big rubbery tail. And the bot mode, well, let's just say he's staying in beast mode. I can't think of anything positive to say about the bot mode. I mostly bought it because I plan on buying all the dinobots, and at least he'll look cool in dino mode when displayed among the rest of the dinobots. At least his colors are cool.
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579646)
Posted by Cobalt Prime on June 5th, 2014 @ 9:06am CDT

If we could "Like" a posting on this site, I would have done so for your response, Sir. You hit it right on the head. :APPLAUSE:

Just IMAGINE all the little tikes waiting in emergency rooms all over the country with Dinobot Slugs stuck in their faces if they hadn't made this running change! Oh, the horror! :lol:

"Dragons wrote:

And gijoe toys are any differnt with there weapons sharp pointy sword made of. Hard plastic there both Iin smae age range excpe rescure bots"

I know, right? The Construct Bot sets come with hard, pointy swords that one would think are clearly deadlier than Slug's tiny horns. Wtf?
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579648)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 5th, 2014 @ 9:27am CDT
Cobalt Prime wrote:

"Dragons wrote:

I think it also has something to with those parts being likely to break off, then be swallowed by little tikes. >:oP
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579650)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on June 5th, 2014 @ 9:47am CDT
Looks better chopped. Not only is it now a flatter robotic straight edge, but its also more jagged than the rounded.
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579672)
Posted by megatronus on June 5th, 2014 @ 11:52am CDT
Looking at mine, I'm not sure it's "chopped" - there aren't any of the stress or cut marks I noticed when Crankcase was available. That said, I do like the rounded horns better, and will definitely be looking out to replace the Slug I have.
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579678)
Posted by Yweggo on June 5th, 2014 @ 12:16pm CDT
Err... I have a wave 1 Slug(confirmed by the number on his leg and on the package) with the rounded horns.
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579682)
Posted by JBPrime on June 5th, 2014 @ 12:20pm CDT
Hi guys,

Haven't been on the boards in a while so I probably missed this info, but is this Silver Knight Optimus thing Target is doing actually something from the film or is it just an excuse for a variant?

Feel free to PM if there are AoE spoilers involved.

Thanks!
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579684)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 5th, 2014 @ 12:25pm CDT
JBPrime wrote:Hi guys,

Feel free to PM if there are AoE spoilers involved.

Thanks!

The whole "Silver Knight" thing isn't an isolated case, as there are more releases of similar nature, all Target exclusives so far except for the Kre-O sets, which are Toys "R" Us.
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579690)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 5th, 2014 @ 12:35pm CDT
JBPrime wrote:Hi guys,

Feel free to PM if there are AoE spoilers involved.

Thanks!
The answer to whether or not the "Silver Knight" thing actually pertains to something that happens in the film is an easy one to give: "We don't know." :P
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579695)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on June 5th, 2014 @ 12:45pm CDT
the top horns look better chopped but the nose horn looks better rounded. But im not so sure they did this for safety i think it was just a screw up in manufacturing & they fixed it.
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579701)
Posted by MGrotusque on June 5th, 2014 @ 1:03pm CDT
I wanna hack off a bunch of his horns. Not just the tips. I'm thinking of hacking off the rhino horn. Those silly jaw horns and a bunch on his tail. He's got too many horns if you ask me.
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579738)
Posted by chuckdawg1999 on June 5th, 2014 @ 4:38pm CDT
megatronus wrote:Thanks Chuck! If you have this, means it must have hit the NYC area. I'll definitely be checking out a couple of my local NYC Targets in the coming days...

I got it online so I'm not sure if they're in stores yet
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579744)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on June 5th, 2014 @ 5:31pm CDT
Still no in-store sightings of the Slug Evolution 2-Pack from TRU? I see Slug everywhere in his mass release version, but I want that minicon G1 homage, dang it!
Re: AoE Dinobot Slug Mold Running Change (1579853)
Posted by JBPrime on June 6th, 2014 @ 1:38am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
JBPrime wrote:Hi guys,

Feel free to PM if there are AoE spoilers involved.

Thanks!

You never know, might've been revealed or shown in a TV Spot, figured I'd ask.

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #145 - May Mayhem