Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line

Transformers News: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line

Monday, August 27th, 2012 3:32PM CDT

Category: Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 17,050

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

The latest issue of Kigure King magazine sheds some light on the back story associated with Takara Tomy's umpcoming United EX Master Series, repaints of Hasbro's Power Core Comiber line. Translation courtesy of the Allspark's Hydra:

"In the 21st century, the war of the Transformers has shifted to space, and seemed for a while that peace had returned to Earth. However, during that time the Autobots had been working together with Earth scientist Professor Chase to develop a new combination system. With it, Autobots would use Power Core Combination to combine themselves with 4 Drones. The Autobot warriors chosen for the process became part of the group known as the Master Class. At the same time, a covert counter-team of Decepticons with the same capability, "Master Chaos," was formed."

The story told on the package backs reflects the atmosphere of the United series, while including characters from earlier Transformers series such as wheelchair-bound genius Chip Chase.

Combatmaster Prime Mode
A Decepticon strategic commander who has been active since the early stages of the war, Combat Master combines with 4 military vehicles. The weapons that line his body provide devastating firepower. In the story, his drones were stolen from the Autobot Chopper Master, who they were originally developed for.

Drones: Morser Drone, Panzer Drone, Kanonier Drone, Spaher Drone

Jetmaster Prime Mode
The Autobot spy Jetmaster combines with 4 jet and helicopter Drones. Jetmaster was the first Autobot to successfully achieve Power Core Combination. The character features details referencing earlier Transformers series, such as that the data for his drones was gathered from the Aerialbots, and that he was born on Planet Z.

Drones: Zone Drone, Feminia Drone, Micro Drone, Tenth Drone

Aerial Warrior Choppermaster
Targetmaster: Firebug

Polar Commander Rollermaster
Targetmaster: Spanner


Here's a little further insight from Hydra:

Now that this preview is out there, it's probably safe for me to explain a few things about this, but...

United EX was written to be part of the Japanese G1 cartoon continuity, as it explicitly takes place near the end of G1. It's not linked to the one-shot Generations manga. This becomes very clear as the story progresses.

My understanding of the United toyline itself is that it doesn't have its own unique continuity (although there are new story elements introduced in it), and basically just depicts various moments of Transformers history, primarily from the Japanese cartoon continuity. Granted, some of the toy forms differ from their G1 cartoon depictions, but that was true for G1 itself...

Some of the naming, such as Master Class and Master Chaos, and obviously individual guys like Grimmaster and Racemaster, is admittedly a little clunky in English, as it was intended for the Japanese market. The product names were determined already, and the Master... was my effort to explain why a whole slew of Transformers might all be called ****Master.

The basic premise is that during a short period of peace on Earth, when most of the fighting occurred offworld, the Autobots were working together with human military organizations to create a combination technology that could be made useful either in times of peace or war. Because most of the more experienced Autobots are away from Earth, they needed to design the system to provide the wearer with considerable power, since the Decepticons gathering on Earth once again might otherwise be a disaster for the remaining Autobot forces. Thus, Prime Mode: a combination form designed to bestow the core with might rivaling that of the Autobots' great leader.

The codename for this group was "Master Class," a gathering of young Autobot professionals in various fields such as recon, defense, construction, etc. who intended to use their skills for the benefit of Earth. Because of the classified nature of the project, each received their own codename, "Masters" with their actual identity not made public. Some joined the team to gain experience, some to prove themselves, and some to make up for past misdeeds. At the same time, a small group of Decepticons lying dormant on Earth got wind of this and formed a counter-group they called "Master Chaos," seeking to seize the drones and take control of Earth in Megatron's absence.

I'll be very excited to see if Japanese fans enjoy the story when the releases begin next month.

-Hydra
Credit(s): Hydra from the Allspark, Sabrblade
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1413977)
Posted by Novaprimal93 on August 27th, 2012 @ 4:08pm CDT
While not a big fan of the PCC figures, I do like the story elements behind these "Masters". Original story elements that "fit" in G1 continuity are always nice.
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414028)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 27th, 2012 @ 6:44pm CDT
All I can honestly say is that this could not reside within the main Japanese G1 continuity. It uses Hasbro-based names, has no way of fitting in any portion of the main Japanese continuity because of that and the events* that Takara Tomy added in the finalized timeline. But it is said to have only one story connected to it (Macrocosmic Seekers). The UNITED EX series does connect to the Generations 2011 story, as that was also a UNITED-based storyline. It also adds continuity issues due to Artfire being redone as a Double Targetmaster. And this comes off as nothing more than Takara Tomy trying to create a UNITED continuity, while Hasbro is creating their own Aligned continuity.

(*: Car Robots, Robot Masters, the movie, and Kiss Players do fill up the events from 2000-2010.)

So with that said, what we are witnessing here is the expansion of a brand new G1 continuity. One initially created by Takara Tomy as a means to combine Hasbro's Generation toylines with other molds that were not made within that series. And while, for me, this is not as exciting as the Henkei! Henkei! toyline, it is something that new G1 fans may want to look into... Even though older pieces may be hard to come by. :BOT:
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414073)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 27th, 2012 @ 10:38pm CDT
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:All I can honestly say is that this could not reside within the Japanese G1 continuity. It uses Hasbro-based names,
How are the names "Combat Master", "Jet Master", "Roller Master", "Chopper Master" etc. Hasbro names?

KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:has no way of fitting in any portion of the main Japanese continuity*,
Hydra has said that the first volume of the story will tell us exactly where it fits in relation to the other parts of the JG1 cartoon continuity.

KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:and is said to have only one story connected to it (Macrocosmic Seekers).
I see no connection to Macrocosmic Seekers in this aside from both being released under the United label. Don't forget that Pretender Gaiden is also a United story, yet it too is set in the JG1 cartoon continuity.

KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:Also, The UNITED EX series does connect to the Generations 2011 story, as that was also a UNITED-based storyline. And this is nothing more than Takara Tomy trying to create a UNITED continuity, while Hasbro is creating their own Aligned continuity.
The first two United manga stories have nothing to do with this.
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414090)
Posted by Sodan-1 on August 27th, 2012 @ 11:25pm CDT
Nope. Still not buying them.
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414107)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 28th, 2012 @ 12:14am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:How are the names "Combat Master", "Jet Master", "Roller Master", "Chopper Master" etc. Hasbro names?


How about this, because you mistook my point: Autobot, Decepticon, Optimus Prime, Rodimus Prime, Jazz, Optimus Primal, etc.

In the Japanese series that are not made to be tied to Hasbro, these are names that Takara/Takara Tomy refused to use. Both Autobots and Maximals were Cybertrons. Decepticons and Predacons were known as Destrons (or Destrongers in one series). Both Optimus Prime and Optimus Primal were Convoy, and all other Primes were given the title of Convoy.

However... Takara Tomy has only recently used the Hasbro names for the three movie lines, Animated, PRIME, and this line. And with this line, its origins had it be a dumping ground for the Generations line and never before used molds. However, with the help of the Generations 2011 comic-based story and its two exclusives tied to the UNITED line, it appears that they might be changing their tune.

[/quote]Hydra has said that the first volume of the story will tell us exactly where it fits in relation to the other parts of the JG1 cartoon continuity.[/quote]

However, and no offense to him, but they would also have to explain the name changes when it comes to the main line. And also explain why Rodimus Prime does not look like his original G1 counter-part. These facts say that even if this can be connected to the Japanese G1 continuity, the names alone need to be altered for that timeline.

Sabrblade wrote:I see no connection to Macrocosmic Seekers in this aside from both being released under the United label.


When it comes to this story, it was an element that could happen in the Japanese G1 continuity for one reason - It happens a point before 2010. The characters were given new forms, but also returned to their original forms. And atop of that, despite the name changes (at least in the translations, which is a common theme these days), the events can be translated into 2010... While also being part of UNITED's 2010 timeline.

Sabrblade wrote:Don't forget that Pretender Gaiden is also a United story, yet it too is set in the JG1 cartoon continuity.


You are incorrect. Pretenders Gaiden was published in the first volume of Generations 2012. It was created as a tie-in to Super-God Masterforce, not UNITED. UNITED only consists of the story chapters published by e-HOBBY, the two stories published by Million Publishing, and has connections to War for Cybertron.

And with that said - Million Publishing only publishes the Generation books on behalf of Takara Tomy. And much like all other published works approved* by Takara Tomy, all stories (unless stated otherwise by Takara Tomy) are considered canon in their respected continuities.

(*: This includes previous errors like Sunstorm, and the Marvel/IDW continuity when it comes to MP-8X King Grimlock.)

Sabrblade wrote:The first two United manga stories have nothing to do with this.


Again, not true. The UNITED EX line is considered "wave 7" and continues Takara Tomy's business practice of using the Hasbro names (minus those created for this line, mind you). And the only continuity it has are the events published by e-HOBBY, Generations 2010, and Generations 2011 (volume 2). Beyond that, Takara Tomy has been extremely tight-lip about this line, but has made it be known that it does not share all of the original JG1 continuity.

So like I said - The UNITED line is no different than the Henkei! Henkei! line. As in the fact that it is an entirely new continuity that debuted in 2010, and uses existing molds from the Generations line... Which is ironic, name-wise... And other molds that were not previously used by them. And unlike Henkei! Henkei!, it uses Hasbro names in a seemingly ironic attempt at uniting the Hasbro continuity with something they can create. 8)

Cool idea... And I might have to consider getting into, even though I am still awaiting for them to confess that this is their approach at creating an Aligned continuity. :lol:
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414110)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 28th, 2012 @ 12:31am CDT
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:How about this, because you mistook my point: Autobot, Decepticon, Optimus Prime, Rodimus Prime, Jazz, Optimus Primal, etc.
None of which are used in United EX and will likely not be used in this story.

KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:However, and no offense to him, but they would also have to explain the name changes when it comes to the main line. And also explain why Rodimus Prime does not look like his original G1 counter-part. These facts say that even if this can be connected to the Japanese G1 continuity, the names alone need to be altered for that timeline.
How do you know that any of those characters will be in this story? From what Hydra's said abotu this, it sounds like it'll be focsuing solely on the Master Class and Master Chaos characters on Earth while the characters you're referring to will be off fighting the war in space.

KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:Again, not true. The UNITED EX line is considered "wave 7" and continues Takara Tomy's business practice of using the Hasbro names (minus those created for this line, mind you). And the only continuity it has are the events published by e-HOBBY, Generations 2010, and Generations 2011 (volume 2). Beyond that, Takara Tomy has been extremely tight-lip about this line, but has made it be known that it does not share all of the original JG1 continuity.
Your thinking of the United toyline and the United franchise as being the same thing, when one (the toyline) is but an aspect of the other (the franchise). The fiction is another aspect of the franchise.

This United EX story is not meant to tie in with the first two manga stories, which are a separate continuity. This United EX story that Hydra is talking about is not part of the United manga continuity.
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414119)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 28th, 2012 @ 1:49am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:None of which are used in United EX and will likely not be used in this story.


And how do you know that? It is wave 7 of the toy line, based on what TFwiki has it listed. The name and label is the same, but only adds EX. And it is extremely unlikely that Takara Tomy is going to abandon the use of "Autobot" and "Decepticon" and go back to "Cybertron" and "Destron" for this line.

Point being what I am saying - The story, as it is going to be written, will be based on the UNITED continuity. However, it does not rule out any portion as a brief Japanese G1 continuity. It just requires Takara Tomy to say that it does, but the readers needs to remember the original names and titles used in that continuity while reading this. :lol:

Sabrblade wrote:How do you know that any of those characters will be in this story? From what Hydra's said abotu this, it sounds like it'll be focsuing solely on the Master Class and Master Chaos characters on Earth while the characters you're referring to will be off fighting the war in space.


So when did Autobot and Decepticon names become characters? And "Car Robots" is the official G1 event that happens between 2000-2003. And even then, the Cybertron Dimensional Patrol Team stayed on Earth until 2003, which is when the Generation 1 and Binaltech continuities split.

However, as I also pointed out, the event can be used for the Japanese Generation 1 continuity. The names have to be changed for the JG1, as they are not Autobots or Decepticons. >:oP

Sabrblade wrote:Your thinking of the United toyline and the United franchise as being the same thing, when one (the toyline) is but an aspect of the other (the franchise). The fiction is another aspect of the franchise.


Really. Because that is how they do things. >:oP For Generations 2009, they tied events from Binaltech with Henkei! Henkei! (most likely the in-packet stuff, but could be the manga series) by making a Skids/Screech combo pack, a Gentei! Liger, and a Gentei! Ghost Starscream. These three were made by Takara Tomy and not a separate "club" (see TFCC).

In Generations 2010, it introduced the toyline with a very short story. It was not until Generations 2011 where we would see an exclusive tied to this series (Stepper), hence why they had Simon Furman write a story that incorporates the Headmasters and Teargetmasters into the UNITED continuity. Prior to that, e-HOBBY made the same point I am trying to make by writing a storyline that ties into both UNITED and 2010, as well as making figure sets for this story.

Point being is that the UNITED EX toyline is part of the UNITED line. The story happens prior to the UNITED version of 2010 and Headmasters, and after the brief event introduced in Generations 2010. The usage of Autobot and Decepticon means that the story is written for the scarce UNITED timeline, and is being used during the time Car Robots happens (albeit that happens in Japan). And the comic/manga works tied to this are made to flesh out the franchise, and events like this... Mind you... Can be used to unite their entire Generation 1 timeline with events used for UNITED... But also can be added if they chose to do such.

Sabrblade wrote:This United EX story is not meant to tie in with the first two manga stories, which are a separate continuity. This United EX story that Hydra is talking about is not part of the United manga continuity.


Says who? Takara Tomy has made no such instance that validates this claim of yours. They are, however, the ones that authenticated the stories in hopes of fleshing out the toyline (as they did not give it the Henkei! Henkei! manga packet treatment), and giving fans a reason to purchase the UNITED versions of Stepper and Artfire. >:oP

So no offense to his knowledge as he can probably explain how this ties into both franchises. However, you are saying stuff that ignores a lot of facts tied to Takara Tomy. It upsets me when I have to question your knowledge, but I have to seeing how a lot of the facts mentioned by TFsource, TFwiki, and Takara Tomy's Transformers page say... And these do not match up with what you are telling me. And that causes my head to explode. :BOOM:
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414121)
Posted by STINGRAY749 on August 28th, 2012 @ 2:05am CDT
Well not buying any of these because I finally got all the pcc's made available to the U.S.
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414123)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 28th, 2012 @ 2:40am CDT
STINGRAY749 wrote:Well not buying any of these because I finally got all the pcc's made available to the U.S.

I have to ask - Do you have Grimstone? He was the only one I originally wanted prior to the changes I made to my entire collection. However, I have a friend that might be interested in him, and I want to make sure that he is worth recommending to him.

Oh, and for those who may not be annoyed by me - I should make it clear that I will not be getting this line either. I would have been all over it if they made it a new toyline that happens between G-2 and Beast Wars. But since this is their answer to Generations and a few other molds, and lack of clarity to what events co-exist between this timeline and the original Japanese G1 timline... I have to let my limited budget talk me out of it. :-(

And my limited budget is tied to something I will only explain if asked (privately), as it may help others understand me a bit better.
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414151)
Posted by DISCHARGE on August 28th, 2012 @ 8:10am CDT
I don't really care what the storyline is. I want more drones.
I make my own storyline containing the PCC I have using the bio's
on the boxes for them.

The combos you can make are wild and I am always finding new ways to turn them into something unexpected

Destron Excavator
005.JPG

I think he would look even better with the construction or destruction drones(but I don't wanna open them)
004.JPG

OMG! He's combined and transforms :shock:
073.JPG


It's funny how Hasbro made these and people seemed to loathe the toys, but Takara may turn some people around(just with a storyline).
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414161)
Posted by gavinfuzzy on August 28th, 2012 @ 8:50am CDT
I still want that Devastator... But not for $60... Seriously, this thing carries the same price tag as MP Sideswipe... Something is very wrong here.

It's around 6k yenn, while voyagers are around 4.5k yenn. In proportion, the hasbro PCC 5 packs costed less than a voyager when they were at retail. $45's the most I would go for something like this.
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414208)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 28th, 2012 @ 12:00pm CDT
KUMA, this story, this story that involves all new characters based on Earth while the existing ones are off in space, is set in the Japanese G1 cartoon continuity. Why? Because it is written to be so. It involves the Cybertrons known as the Master Class fighting against the Destrons known as the Master Chaos. My information comes from Andrew "Hydra" Hall, who has helped work on this story for TakaraTomy itself. He is one of the authors and has made ZERO indication that it will involve any other characters than the Master Class, the Master Chaos, and Professor Chip Chase. His saying that it takes place in the cartoon continuity means that it does not take place in the United manga continuity. Yes, it is a story that advertises United toys, but the characters these specific toys represent exist in the JG1 cartoon continuity. Hydra has even implied that these "Masters" could even be familiar characters given new names and forms for this story, like how Jet Master is someone who was born on Planet Zone. Yuo cannot dictate what continuity this story belongs in because you are not the one who wrote it. Hydra helped write it and he knows what he's doing. Before you jump the gun and start assuming things, please just hold off passing final judgement until the story actually comes out and explains where it is located, as it will do so. You have nothing to fear, as all will be made clear in due time. So let us just please wait and see what happens when the story is released. :)
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414268)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 28th, 2012 @ 3:52pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:KUMA, this story, this story that involves all new characters based on Earth while the existing ones are off in space, is set in the Japanese G1 cartoon continuity. Why? Because it is written to be so. It involves the Cybertrons known as the Master Class fighting against the Destrons known as the Master Chaos. My information comes from Andrew "Hydra" Hall, who has helped work on this story for TakaraTomy itself. He is one of the authors and has made ZERO indication that it will involve any other characters than the Master Class, the Master Chaos, and Professor Chip Chase. His saying that it takes place in the cartoon continuity means that it does not take place in the United manga continuity. Yes, it is a story that advertises United toys, but the characters these specific toys represent exist in the JG1 cartoon continuity. Hydra has even implied that these "Masters" could even be familiar characters given new names and forms for this story, like how Jet Master is someone who was born on Planet Zone. Yuo cannot dictate what continuity this story belongs in because you are not the one who wrote it. Hydra helped write it and he knows what he's doing. Before you jump the gun and start assuming things, please just hold off passing final judgement until the story actually comes out and explains where it is located, as it will do so. You have nothing to fear, as all will be made clear in due time. So let us just please wait and see what happens when the story is released. :)

How is the fact that I know the entire Japanese Generation 1 continuity, as well as know how Takara Tomy is handling their own toyline, assuming anything... As well as "jumping the gun"? :???:

Seriously. Takara Tomy is not Hasbro. Hasbro is the company that will create a Transformers toyline that has no real continuity to it what-so-ever. This is because in North America, they only target kids and collectors. And neither one tends to really care if Hasbro created a line that promotes a movie, comic, or anything of the like as long as they are supplied with something that is worth getting.

Both Takara and Takara Tomy, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. They will have a series, story, etc. be created for any toyline that they create. As Takara, this practice was done from 1987 (Headmasters) to 1992 (Operation Combination), when it comes to the original Japanese Generation 1 continuity. And with both UNITED and UNITED EX, Takara Tomy trying to do that once again for the Japanese fanbase. Which leads to my point - It can only bleed into the Japanese G1 continuity, but it cannot be entirely part of it as long as they solely use the Autobot and Decepticon faction names in the Japanese portion of the story.

That, and it is a good thing, Sabrblade. It means that he is allowed to have his name be mentioned as a contributor to a new continuity, along with Simon Furman and Guido Guidi. Which is the other point I was making, as that is way better than trying to dismiss all of the previous UNITED stuff, just to shove this into a timeline that will be overshadowed by Car Robots (JG1 timeline: 2000-2003, with Brave Maximus becoming part of Cybertron City). ;)
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414350)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 28th, 2012 @ 10:23pm CDT
Okay, KUMA. Based ONLY on the information given to use here by Hydra, what is it exactly that you believe this story will entail that will make it not fit in the cartoon continuity?

What is it that is written in the quote boxes from the first post and NOWHERE ELSE, that makes this not be fit for the cartoon continuity? Please clarify?
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414376)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 29th, 2012 @ 1:05am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Okay, KUMA. Based ONLY on the information given to use here by Hydra, what is it exactly that you believe this story will entail that will make it not fit in the cartoon continuity?

What is it that is written in the quote boxes from the first post and NOWHERE ELSE, that makes this not be fit for the cartoon continuity? Please clarify?

This is pretty much where I bring up the term "bleeding": A term that means "an element that does not have any prior connection to a series or franchise, but can be added later on in some way. Just not as written or created.

Primary examples (in chronological order) include Beast Wars, Micromasters, Car Robots, Robot Masters, Binaltech, Binaltech Asterisk, Kiss Players, and UNITED: Macrocosmic Seekers. Other examples include Powermaster and Action Master. G-2 might be another example of the term, but I need to read up on that (as some fans here have made me be interested in it.)

However... These elements have the characters renamed for their Japanese Generation 1 continuity. As in the fact that "Autobot" and "Decepticon" (as a prime example) are Hasbro-based factions that are used for the UNITED continuity would have to be read as "Cybertron" and "Destron" if it is going to fit in the Japanese Generation 1 continuity. Simple as that, as the only other thing needed to be done is to avoid any locations used in Car Robots. :BOT:
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414392)
Posted by STINGRAY749 on August 29th, 2012 @ 2:17am CDT
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:
STINGRAY749 wrote:Well not buying any of these because I finally got all the pcc's made available to the U.S.

I have to ask - Do you have Grimstone? He was the only one I originally wanted prior to the changes I made to my entire collection. However, I have a friend that might be interested in him, and I want to make sure that he is worth recommending to him.


Quality wise he is great. The figure it self is awesome. The limbs stay on and don't fall of by them selves like wave one 5 packs did.

The only downfall is the old 50's robot claw arm, but in hand it's not that bad.

I personally rank Grimstone #1 on my pcc list, with heavytread and Undertow just behind him. Tell your friend to get him for a good price. $20 - $25 shipped is a good price. Anything more is bad unless it's in a lot.
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414398)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 29th, 2012 @ 3:08am CDT
STINGRAY749 wrote:
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:
STINGRAY749 wrote:Well not buying any of these because I finally got all the pcc's made available to the U.S.

I have to ask - Do you have Grimstone? He was the only one I originally wanted prior to the changes I made to my entire collection. However, I have a friend that might be interested in him, and I want to make sure that he is worth recommending to him.


Quality wise he is great. The figure it self is awesome. The limbs stay on and don't fall of by them selves like wave one 5 packs did.

The only downfall is the old 50's robot claw arm, but in hand it's not that bad.

I personally rank Grimstone #1 on my pcc list, with heavytread and Undertow just behind him. Tell your friend to get him for a good price. $20 - $25 shipped is a good price. Anything more is bad unless it's in a lot.

I'll do that. Thanks for the honest review. 8)
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414444)
Posted by ausbot on August 29th, 2012 @ 7:18am CDT
The best way to use the PCC's is to use the same limbs on either side. My Heavy tread has 2 tank arms and 2 Armored car legs and my darkstream has jet arms and helicopter legs.
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414485)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 29th, 2012 @ 10:03am CDT
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:However... These elements have the characters renamed for their Japanese Generation 1 continuity. As in the fact that "Autobot" and "Decepticon" (as a prime example) are Hasbro-based factions that are used for the UNITED continuity would have to be read as "Cybertron" and "Destron" if it is going to fit in the Japanese Generation 1 continuity. Simple as that, as the only other thing needed to be done is to avoid any locations used in Car Robots. :BOT:
But where in what I was asking about (i.e. - the quotes from Hydra) does it say that Hasbro names will be involved in this?
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414651)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 29th, 2012 @ 4:22pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:But where in what I was asking about (i.e. - the quotes from Hydra) does it say that Hasbro names will be involved in this?

Okay... That is where you confused me. As you sounded like he was the one writing the story, not explaining what the backdrop says. :P

And it is in the way that the line is being handled. All the figures in the UNITED line have correct English, all use the Hasbro-based names, and one of its Generations tie-in stories was done by the team currently known for their work on ReGeneration One. Plus, he said Chip Chase - As in the fact that they are trying to keep it in a more Hasbro-like universe... Where as every other line they did (that did not tie into something done by Hasbro first), generally has them focusing on creating their own characters.

Therefor, even if these teams are not aligned to either faction, its primary use is to flesh out the UNITED continuity... And its secondary is to bleed any or all (usable) elements into the Japanese G1 continuity. Because in the end, not all facts have to be given to you first-hand. You just need to understand the direction that the company is taking their line just to get the facts needed. ;)
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414772)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 29th, 2012 @ 10:37pm CDT
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:And it is in the way that the line is being handled. All the figures in the UNITED line have correct English, all use the Hasbro-based names, and one of its Generations tie-in stories was done by the team currently known for their work on ReGeneration One.
But how do you know that this particular story will also use Hasbro names when nothing in what we have been told about this story (not the toyline, the story) have said so?

KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:Plus, he said Chip Chase - As in the fact that they are trying to keep it in a more Hasbro-like universe... Where as every other line they did (that did not tie into something done by Hasbro first), generally has them focusing on creating their own characters.
But what's wrong with using Chip Chase? That's his Japanese name too.

KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:Therefor, even if these teams are not aligned to either faction, its primary use is to flesh out the UNITED continuity...
How do you know that that's what this particular story is going to do when nothing about has said so?

KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:And its secondary is to bleed any or all (usable) elements into the Japanese G1 continuity. Because in the end, not all facts have to be given to you first-hand. You just need to understand the direction that the company is taking their line just to get the facts needed. ;)
Why can't this be another case like Macrocosmic Seekers?
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414823)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 30th, 2012 @ 1:04am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:But how do you know that this particular story will also use Hasbro names when nothing in what we have been told about this story (not the toyline, the story) have said so?
How about I repeat this, instead of working on the blueprints tied to my Transformers collection, future DVD/BD purchases, and my upcoming birthday? >:oP

The ENTIRE UNITED toyline was created by Takara Tomy as a new means of taking existing molds from Hasbro's Classics, Generations, etc., and turning them into a new series-based toyline. They are doing this for the Japanese fanbase that has no prior ties or knowledge to the Hasbro fiction, but they hope would be interested in this line.

In other words, Takara Tomy has made it clear: THE STORY HAPPENS WITHIN THE ENTIRE CONTINUITY THAT THEY CREATED FOR THE UNITED LINE, BUT DID NOT GO FAR BECAUSE IT OBVIOUSLY DID NOT SELL AS WELL AS THEY HAD PLANNED.

Is this clear enough? Can I move on? Or do I need to explain the importance of creating a franchise, the importance of having canon-based events, and how Takara handled their G1 toyline when they capped it off with Operation Combination in 1992?

LINK: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Generation_1_car ... 28Japan%29
LINK: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers_United
LINK: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Operation_Combination

Sabrblade wrote:But what's wrong with using Chip Chase? That's his Japanese name too.
*facepalm* Did I say that? No. I think we are done here, as you are disorganizing the facts being told to you just because you chose to not connect the two series... Even though this is exactly how they did things with the final series I mentioned above.

Because if you follow the Japanese G1 continuity, you will find that both Takara Tomy and Toei Animation alienated all characters created/co-created by Hasbro when they ended Headmasters. And that from Super-God Masterforce to the Micron Trilogy, they used characters that were targeted by a Japanese audience.

This clearly is evidence since they are using a character that was primarily created by Hasbro, as in the fact that this line is using a Western influence and not an Eastern influence. >:oP

Sabrblade wrote:How do you know that that's what this particular story is going to do when nothing about has said so?


Because I have been, the entire time, reading up on the UNITED line? How about the fact that I also compared how they handled Headmasters to Zone, Car Robots, the Micron Trilogy, and Henkei! Henkei! to how they handled the movies, Animated, PRIME, and UNITED?

If Takara Tomy wanted this to not be aimed at Hasbro-based fiction, they would have continued the traditions created by them from 1987-1992. This means that they would have focused on a Japanese scientist to have created the project. However, continuing where they stopped with UNITED (and using Operation Combination's historical significance to this line), they are not doing that and making it more as a possible continuation of where The Rebirth left off (if this is the case).

Sabrblade wrote:Why can't this be another case like Macrocosmic Seekers?


Seriously... I am done. UNITED, as I explained from time to time, is nothing more than Takara Tomy's attempt at unifying their G1 timeline with that of Hasbro's. Macrocosmic Seekers is proof of this, as they created an event that can be placed in both the Japanese G1 continuity and this one. The only difference are the names that e-HOBBY used in the story.

In the UNITED/UNITED EX continuity, if it is the same as the Japanese G1 continuity, you have three periods it can happen... Especially since Chip Chase is involved: Latter 1990s, 2000-2003, and the period of time between Headmasters and Super-God Masterforce.

Latter 1990s, the U.S. Government teamed up with the Cybertrons. This could lead to the events happening in this series, but we have to rule it out since both factions were on Earth. 2000-2003 is more plausible, as the story is more centered on North America and not Japan (Car Robots). And the final mention is also plausible, especially since it allows the events started by Hasbro get a finishing touch... And allow characters long forgotten get a final bow.

Like I said before, while trying to not sound like a jerk or a noob: I pretty much know my Transformers continuities, and try avoid knowing more than the Japanese G1 timeline because it pulls me away from other things I enjoy.

As in repeating the fact that from 1985-2006, Takara and Hasbro paralleled each others works with elements that work for their respective works. From 2006 to now, the only change was the merger between Takara and Tomy. And from 2010 to 2012, Takara Tomy has been trying to parallel the Aligned continuity and Generations series with UNITED. UNITED became UNITED EX, much like how Operation Combination capped off their 7 year toyline.

And also, the name change also reflects why they are bringing the Generations 2 line to Japan, instead of continuing it in the UNITED line. And the way it is written, unless you believe that fansubs always use factual translations, it is capping off the UNITED line... As well as being an element that Takara Tomy may allow to bleed into the main timeline (as they have two solid areas, and one possible area with Chip Chase being involved).

Now if you don't mind... I currently dislike the entire UNITED franchise because its lack of direction and lack of substance allowed this to happen. Which I may thank you, as it means I can focus on other series I have been ignoring (ever since I joined this site in hopes of actually having fun and not this). >:oP
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414901)
Posted by gavinfuzzy on August 30th, 2012 @ 10:11am CDT
Am I the only one who buys the united figures for the pretty colours and not give a crap about the story line? >:oP Everything is Hasbro G1 to me, just fit into my classics shelf, they are their G1 self in my mind.

As for the case of the PCC, well I'll take them to be Superion, Devastator, Bruticus ECT....
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414903)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on August 30th, 2012 @ 10:32am CDT
gavinfuzzy wrote:Am I the only one who buys the united figures for the pretty colours and not give a crap about the story line? >:oP Everything is Hasbro G1 to me, just fit into my classics shelf, they are their G1 self in my mind.

As for the case of the PCC, well I'll take them to be Superion, Devastator, Bruticus ECT....


Then who are Double Clutch, Mudslinger and Grimstone?
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1414919)
Posted by Mkall on August 30th, 2012 @ 11:00am CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
gavinfuzzy wrote:Am I the only one who buys the united figures for the pretty colours and not give a crap about the story line? >:oP Everything is Hasbro G1 to me, just fit into my classics shelf, they are their G1 self in my mind.

As for the case of the PCC, well I'll take them to be Superion, Devastator, Bruticus ECT....


Then who are Double Clutch, Mudslinger and Grimstone?

Crummy, decent and awesome in that order :P
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1415030)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 30th, 2012 @ 3:37pm CDT
gavinfuzzy wrote:Am I the only one who buys the united figures for the pretty colours and not give a crap about the story line? >:oP Everything is Hasbro G1 to me, just fit into my classics shelf, they are their G1 self in my mind.

As for the case of the PCC, well I'll take them to be Superion, Devastator, Bruticus ECT....

Honestly, all I said was that the story does not fit "as is" when it came to Japanese continuity. "As is"... As in the fact that anybody who has general knowledge of the Japanese G1 continuity can both tie the EX line into it while saying that the changes needed are extremely superficial. :lol:

Besides... I need to vent this out by stating that any enjoyed I had in the Aligned continuity was killed by two members here. And while I don't want to make a jerk notion of an assumption, his constant questioning had killed any thought of me enjoying this line as well. :BANG_HEAD:

Oh... And gavinfuzzy? Thanks for reminding me why Hasbro drove me crazy when they did their version of this line. ;) :lol:
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1415092)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 30th, 2012 @ 6:26pm CDT
I simply don't understand why you're getting so worked up over one ittle story that we know barely anything about and hasn't even come out yet. All your info pertains to something else entirely. We know diddly-squatt about this story and yet you act like you have inside information about it that no one else knows about. I don't understand how any of what you're saying has to do with this yet-to-be released piece of fiction. You're confusing me. :???:
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1415103)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 30th, 2012 @ 7:17pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:I simply don't understand why you're getting so worked up over one ittle story that we know barely anything about and hasn't even come out yet.


Please. Seriously please stop assuming things about me. You and PrymeStriker are making me think you both want me gone with your constant questioning of my knowledge, smiles whenever I make a name-based typo... And his "I did nothing wrong" speech, which I am trying to forget. Because you both helped kill the Aligned continuity, and you killed this because of these acts. :BOOM:

Sabrblade wrote:All your info pertains to something else entirely. We know diddly-squatt about this story and yet you act like you have inside information about it that no one else knows about. I don't understand how any of what you're saying has to do with this yet-to-be released piece of fiction. You're confusing me. :???:


Sorry that you know less about both Japanese G1 timeline and Japanese toyline than I thought you knew. Because if you knew both, you would have known that the UNITED toyline has nothing to do with either G1 continuities. That it uses names created by Hasbro, even which the story in question is tied to, and has made alterations to both facts and character designs.

Plus, you also disregarded the "as is" statement, the definition of "bleeding"... As well as examples to that - Action Masters, Powermasters, and Beast Wars are all examples to what they have done. And all were ignored by you for some reason. Hence, my ANNOYANCE was tied to your actions... Not the subject at hand. Because if you bothered knowing me, you would know that when I say stuff like that... It means that I want to see how this ties into what they are saying - Not me dismissing something, as you might as well be assuming. :BANG_HEAD: :BOOM:
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1415334)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 31st, 2012 @ 11:55am CDT
KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:Please. Seriously please stop assuming things about me. You and PrymeStriker are making me think you both want me gone with your constant questioning of my knowledge, smiles whenever I make a name-based typo... And his "I did nothing wrong" speech, which I am trying to forget. Because you both helped kill the Aligned continuity, and you killed this because of these acts. :BOOM:
What? I don't want anything of the sort. I'm simply asking these questions because I don't understand where you're coming from. I WANT to see from your point of view, and so I ask to get a better understanding.

KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:Sorry that you know less about both Japanese G1 timeline and Japanese toyline than I thought you knew. Because if you knew both, you would have known that the UNITED toyline has nothing to do with either G1 continuities. That it uses names created by Hasbro, even which the story in question is tied to, and has made alterations to both facts and character designs.
But I wasn't talking about the United toyline.

KUMA-NIN Maximus wrote:Plus, you also disregarded the "as is" statement, the definition of "bleeding"... As well as examples to that - Action Masters, Powermasters, and Beast Wars are all examples to what they have done. And all were ignored by you for some reason. Hence, my ANNOYANCE was tied to your actions... Not the subject at hand. Because if you bothered knowing me, you would know that when I say stuff like that... It means that I want to see how this ties into what they are saying - Not me dismissing something, as you might as well be assuming. :BANG_HEAD: :BOOM:
Ok.
Re: Back Story Behind Takara Tomy's United EX Line (1415473)
Posted by KNM2012 on August 31st, 2012 @ 7:11pm CDT
Sabrblade, I said I am done with the topic. I am more than burnt out trying to explain to you the difference between the Takara Tomy G1 and UNITED. All you do is pretty much make me feel like you are anything but confused.

So instead of responding to your responses, as they are going nowhere and have you be "confused" as well as have me say "UNITED is not meant to be G1... Period. However, Takara Tomy will use elements from the line if they choose to do such." to the point I feel like an idiot repeating that.

You can say whatever you want... As I am removing myself from not only this topic, but this line of Transformers. Because I am just tired of making it clear that Takara Tomy has a history of doing more than just making a toyline. They made their 1985-1992 line be interconnecting. Henkei!, Gentei!, and the other exclusives were interconnecting.

And UNITED and UNITED EX are interconnecting.

So in other words - UNITED is based on a G1 timeline. It is not part of their main G1 timeline. And they wanted any of it to be such, they will let the public know by creating a new G1 timeline that says what stories and events are part of it.

If that still confuses you, that is on you. I came back to Seibertron.com to have fun, and most of my time here now feels wasted. That is all I will say and I am moving on. As in no more responses, no more talks from me about UNITED... And hopefully me not feeling like I wasted my time learning how Takara Tomy handles their franchises, versus how Hasbro handles theirs.

So whatever you said... I did not read. I no longer care as it is probably repetitive and has you dismissing more things I said. So thanks for souring this series for me by claiming to be "confused" and not caring enough to realize what I was saying is tied to the SERIES and not just the STORY, which is TIED TO THE SERIES. [-(
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #105 - Megatronus
Twincast / Podcast #105:
"Megatronus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, November 23rd, 2014