BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page

Transformers News: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page

Tuesday, April 23rd, 2013 5:56PM CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Event News
Posted by: Anonymous.   Views: 19,021

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Thanks to IDW colorist Josh Burcham, we have a preview page for FunPub's upcoming BotCon 2013 in San Diego, from June 27 till June 30. This comic page features characters from our five-figure box set, Hoist, Strika, Obsidian, and Skywarp. As the lore in Beast Machines would suggest, our two characters from the Beast era are notably Autobots in this rendition of Machine Wars Transformers lore. As Josh writes, these are not the final colors in particular for this page. Enjoy!

BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page
Credit(s): Josh Burcham
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481334)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on April 23rd, 2013 @ 6:20pm CDT
Is that Octane hanging out back there?
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481336)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 23rd, 2013 @ 6:21pm CDT
It's up on BotCon's website as well.
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481338)
Posted by emeraldbeacon on April 23rd, 2013 @ 6:33pm CDT
Actually, that looks like Thundercracker, not Skywarp.

Thundercracker is green with a dark head:


Skywarp is white with a yellow head:
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481344)
Posted by Mindmaster on April 23rd, 2013 @ 6:47pm CDT
What's up with Octane hanging out the Autobots?
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481348)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 23rd, 2013 @ 6:53pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:What's up with Octane hanging out the Autobots?
It would seem that the Autobots and Decepticons had to team up under the command of Strika and Obsidian once Megaplex and his clone army forces killed Optimus Prime and Galvatron.
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481350)
Posted by Downbeat on April 23rd, 2013 @ 6:57pm CDT
Panel 2 is expressive as heck, love it.
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481351)
Posted by Mindmaster on April 23rd, 2013 @ 7:01pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Mindmaster wrote:What's up with Octane hanging out the Autobots?
It would seem that the Autobots and Decepticons had to team up under the command of Strika and Obsidian once Megaplex and his clone army forces killed Optimus Prime and Galvatron.


So it's like how Covenant Separatists teamed up with the UNSC when the Covenant Loyalists (or rather Jiralhanae and San 'Shyumm) started a mini-genocide against the Sangheili in the Halo franchise. Interesting.
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481360)
Posted by Poyguimogul on April 23rd, 2013 @ 7:26pm CDT
Octane was pretty much on the outs with the Decepticons in season 3 of G1 when he was hanging out with Sandstorm, so him joining the Autobots wouldn't be odd, though given the franchise it's more likely they have teamed up to thwart an enemy that threatens them all.
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481363)
Posted by Henry921 on April 23rd, 2013 @ 7:37pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Mindmaster wrote:What's up with Octane hanging out the Autobots?
It would seem that the Autobots and Decepticons had to team up under the command of Strika and Obsidian once Megaplex and his clone army forces killed Optimus Prime and Galvatron.


So it's like how Covenant Separatists teamed up with the UNSC when the Covenant Loyalists (or rather Jiralhanae and San 'Shyumm) started a mini-genocide against the Sangheili in the Halo franchise. Interesting.



Not the first time we've seen Autobots and Decepticons team up to battle the Cybertronian Empire either. ;)

And that looks like Universe Tankor there as Octane's model. Bit of an in-comic joke? Maybe G1 Thrust will show up too and ask Obsidian about loyalty just to reference us to death.

Though if Bots and Cons are teamed up here in the far-flung future of the Wings universe, that likely means we can use figures from our Classics shelf to go with the figures from the convention.
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481367)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 23rd, 2013 @ 7:48pm CDT
Henry921 wrote:And that looks like Universe Tankor there as Octane's model. Bit of an in-comic joke? Maybe G1 Thrust will show up too and ask Obsidian about loyalty just to reference us to death.
But Universe Tankor is Octane. What's there to joke about?

Henry921 wrote:Though if Bots and Cons are teamed up here in the far-flung future of the Wings universe, that likely means we can use figures from our Classics shelf to go with the figures from the convention.
Only in certain cases. Some characters have modern toy bodies, some have their original bodies, and we do know that at least all of the 1997 MW toy characters will make an appearance.
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481369)
Posted by Henry921 on April 23rd, 2013 @ 7:51pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Henry921 wrote:And that looks like Universe Tankor there as Octane's model. Bit of an in-comic joke? Maybe G1 Thrust will show up too and ask Obsidian about loyalty just to reference us to death.
But Universe Tankor is Octane. What's there to joke about?


An in-joke, my friend. Tankor, like from Beast Machines. Thrust, like from Beast Machines. A new character called Jetstorm, in case the reference wasn't apparent enough.

Oh, never mind. #-o
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481375)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 23rd, 2013 @ 8:06pm CDT
Henry921 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Henry921 wrote:And that looks like Universe Tankor there as Octane's model. Bit of an in-comic joke? Maybe G1 Thrust will show up too and ask Obsidian about loyalty just to reference us to death.
But Universe Tankor is Octane. What's there to joke about?


An in-joke, my friend. Tankor, like from Beast Machines. Thrust, like from Beast Machines. A new character called Jetstorm, in case the reference wasn't apparent enough.

Oh, never mind. #-o
It would feel more like an in-joke if he was called "Tankor" instead of "Octane", but he's not. He's "Octane".
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481383)
Posted by Mkall on April 23rd, 2013 @ 8:45pm CDT
Not my favourite art style, but The Club usually comes through in story telling.
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481416)
Posted by Seibertron on April 23rd, 2013 @ 11:01pm CDT
Mkall wrote:Not my favourite art style, but The Club usually comes through in story telling.


Really? Have we been reading the same comics for the past 4 or 5 years?
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481422)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 23rd, 2013 @ 11:33pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:
Mkall wrote:Not my favourite art style, but The Club usually comes through in story telling.


Really? Have we been reading the same comics for the past 4 or 5 years?
To each his own, I guess.

I've met some who love nearly all the club comics, and those who basically can't stand just about any of their fiction.
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481443)
Posted by Seibertron on April 24th, 2013 @ 12:16am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
Mkall wrote:Not my favourite art style, but The Club usually comes through in story telling.


Really? Have we been reading the same comics for the past 4 or 5 years?
To each his own, I guess.

I've met some who love nearly all the club comics, and those who basically can't stand just about any of their fiction.


In my opinion, their stories are convoluted, full of unnecessary fan appeasements, confusing, lack direction, and have difficulty focusing on the primary subjects of the topic at hand ... written by people whose primary job isn't writing comic books. The Botcon comics were OK through the 2009 comic, but it's been downhill since. 2010 on has been an attention deficit disorder nightmare. All over the board. The books try to do too much. Instead of focusing on a few good points and expanding upon those ideas, it unsuccessfully tackles way to many characters and plot points which is simply confusing and accomplishes far less than if they were to focus on the exclusive characters. This is a perfect example where less would be more.

The Club comics have been a mess almost since the beginning for the same reasons as the BotCon comics.

They could also use some pointers regarding the fonts that they use for the Club and BotCon comics. There's a lot to be said for fonts that are easily read by the human eye (that's why Verdana and Arial are such popular computer fonts). The font they use for the speech bubbles is a very poor choice for the sake of readability.
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481447)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 24th, 2013 @ 12:26am CDT
Huh, 2010 also happens to be the year that the Club stopped having text stories, with their last one coming out that year. I wonder if the lack of prose stories might have affected their 2010-Present fiction. :-?
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481455)
Posted by Seibertron on April 24th, 2013 @ 1:03am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Huh, 2010 also happens to be the year that the Club stopped having text stories, with their last one coming out that year. I wonder if the lack of prose stories might have affected their 2010-Present fiction. :-?


The 2005 to 2009 comics were at least focused on the toys associated with the BotCons of those years. Having fiction of the toys I had just invested in helped sell whatever the "theme" was of that year. Having diverged from that since 2010 by not focusing on that year's set has significantly diluted the sets and whatever story they were pushing. Again, my opinion, but this year's lack of interest (as demonstrated by this week's extremely candid message about reallocating stock from attendee to non-attendee) seems to show that I'm onto something about the perceived decline or the lack of interest in the BotCon exclusives.

The initial Club comics, while extremely convoluted, also followed suit. Initially they were focused on the club toys which worked "OK" since the first 5 were all one set, but it has been downhill for quite a while.

It seems I pay a lot of money to read comics that do little for my enjoyment.
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481530)
Posted by Sabrblade on April 24th, 2013 @ 9:07am CDT
Seibertron wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Huh, 2010 also happens to be the year that the Club stopped having text stories, with their last one coming out that year. I wonder if the lack of prose stories might have affected their 2010-Present fiction. :-?


The 2005 to 2009 comics were at least focused on the toys associated with the BotCons of those years. Having fiction of the toys I had just invested in helped sell whatever the "theme" was of that year. Having diverged from that since 2010 by not focusing on that year's set has significantly diluted the sets and whatever story they were pushing. Again, my opinion, but this year's lack of interest (as demonstrated by this week's extremely candid message about reallocating stock from attendee to non-attendee) seems to show that I'm onto something about the perceived decline or the lack of interest in the BotCon exclusives.

The initial Club comics, while extremely convoluted, also followed suit. Initially they were focused on the club toys which worked "OK" since the first 5 were all one set, but it has been downhill for quite a while.

It seems I pay a lot of money to read comics that do little for my enjoyment.
But I asked about the text stories, if the lack of them affected the writing style of the comics from 2010 and onward.
Re: BotCon '13 Comic Preview Page (1481536)
Posted by Seibertron on April 24th, 2013 @ 9:20am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:But I asked about the text stories, if the lack of them affected the writing style of the comics from 2010 and onward.


I have no idea ... I've never read any of the Club's text only stories.

Ending Soon On eBay

Vintage Transformers Original G1 Menasor - Time Remaining: 5 days 5 hours 51 minutes 11 seconds
Vintage Transformers Original G1 Pretenders Landmine - Time Remaining: 5 days 7 hours 51 minutes 16 seconds
Vintage Transformers Original G1 Powermaster Optimus Prime - Time Remaining: 5 days 7 hours 51 minutes 5 seconds
Vintage Transformers Original G1 Defensor - Time Remaining: 5 days 6 hours 6 minutes 15 seconds
Vintage Transformers Original G1 Roadbuster - Time Remaining: 5 days 4 hours 51 minutes 2 seconds
Vintage Transformers Original G1 Computron - Time Remaining: 5 days 7 hours 21 minutes 7 seconds
Vintage Transformers Original G1 Metroplex - Time Remaining: 5 days 5 hours 51 minutes 11 seconds
Vintage Transformers Original G1 Jetfire Complete in Box - Time Remaining: 5 days 4 hours 51 minutes 18 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #149 - Titans Arrive
Twincast / Podcast #149:
"Titans Arrive"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, July 10th, 2016