BotCon 2006 Hasbro Reveal New Transformers Products!
Saturday, September 30th, 2006 10:43AM CDTCategories: Company News, Event News, Toy News
Posted by: Alex Kingdom Views: 66,451
Tformers.com are reporting live from the event. Read thier report here.
- Panel includes: Forest Lee, copyrighter for TFs. He comes up with the character bios on the packaging. Aaron Archer Toy Designer, Greg Lambardo Marketing Director, Eric Sabenhauler Toy Designer.
- Movie Toy line confirmed release date July 4th 2007.
- Two new movie preview figures will be released May 2nd 2007.
- Transformers Cybertron will end this year.
- Transformers Classics line is designed to fill the gaps between end of Cybertron and the beginning of the Movie Toy line. the thought process behind Classics is a continuation to G1, almost a sequel.
- Classics mini-cons. Started with as 2-packs but then switched to 3-packs explaining some unique parings. This was their first time doing beast minicons and it was a success they think.
- It has been requested that Oil Slick be repainted as big daddy. Fireflight was suppposed to be Poweglide, but they couldn't get that name. All the new mini-cons were shown in the cases yesterday at the Hasbro booth.
- Optimus Prime Vs. Megatron DVD Ultimate Battle 2-pack. The new molds for Prime and Megatron were inspired by G1 and G2. The concept behind the DVD is a sort of 'Transformers 101' chronicling Transformers over the years.
- Classics Bumblebee has been repainted as Cliffjumper. He will be in the Hasbro cases later today.
- Classics Jetfire's design is as close as they could get to the classic G1 form. Don decided to use that form for the comic. Hasbro says the jet-pack comes off.
- 20th Anniversary DVD Optimus Prime - They wanted to do something to celebration of the 20th Anniverary Transformer the Movie DVD re-release. Its the same mold as before and no DVD is included.
- Regarding the Trailer Archer said 'Takara has done one now and everything they do Hasbro has access. So you never know?'
- The G1 Soundwave reissue will be Toys 'R' Us exclusive with ravage and laserbeak and will hold both tapes. It will have a unique box and that will be in the display cases later today.
- No Classics Soundwave planned due to the Toy 'R' Us Reissue
- No plans for further G1 Reissues after Soundwave.
- Classic Devestator will be Wal-Mart exclusive. It appears to be an Energon Constructicon Maximus repaint. It will be in the display cases later today.
- Alternators will be ending before the movie. Decepticons Rumble and Ravage will be the last two figures. Rumble has no hands. Both will be displayed later today.
- However the Alternators may return after the movie. They feel the movie will help them broaden the scope for getting real licenses to do more with the line.
- The movie toy line will be a full line. It will be broad and have multiple scales.
- there will be a Titanium 6-inch Fallen and War Within Megatron set, 6-inch G1 Ultra Magnus (new mould) and 3-inch Predaking, War Within Grimlock will also be a Titanium 6-Inch figure.
- No plans for Titaniums larger than 6" and no combiners.
- The Characters chosen for the first wave of Classics were chosen because they wanted to do a broad variety recognisable characters.
- If the Classics line does well and they chose to continue Classics we are likely to see Cosmos, Jazz, Sideswpe and Sunstreaker.
- When asked about the recent Japanese prototype cell phone, camera and game machine figures they gave no comment
- Of the Takara Kiss Players line they said 'They are allowed to do in their market whatever they want but doesn't make sense to Hasbro. Whatever works for them'
- No plans for an animated DVD Classics movie but they said it was a cool idea.
- No plans for other Beast Wars toys right now other than those in Titanium.
- Transformers Heroes cartoon - Cant talk about it. Working title is just a hasbro title. It will be an American based developed show.
- The Cadillac XLR Alternator was something they were looking into but dropped since Altrenators went on hiatus. - It would have been Megatron!
- When asked about the possible Cybertron Traffic light (Signal Lancer) figure they said 'Maybe if they find a home for it'.
- When asked about who had more input in the Movie designs, hasbro or Michael Bay, they answered 'Its a great partnership. Trying to make cool characters that looked good on the screen, but wanted to have some heritage. Its been fun.'
- The G1 Seacons that were rumoured to be released as part of Universe are done and ready but Hasbro are looking for a home for them.
- No plans for other Classics combiners other than Devastator and maybe Seacons. If they do them they would most likly be as part of Classics.
- No plans to release Cybertron Blue Screapmetal.
- The Tan Abrams tank artwork seen online was a fan made experiment by friends of Hasbro outside of company.
- No plans for Fortress Maximus sized figures.
- The voice stand for 20th Anniversary DVD Prime was voiced by a hired 'local guy'. Hasbro wanted Peter Cullen but they had just developed a relationship with Sony so they couldn't get the sound clips. Also they didn't want interfere with Peters work on the new movie.
The panel ended with a clip from the forthcoming movie. Included images of Prime as Truck, an Autobot hood ornament on prime, an Army Scenes, lots of explosions, no scenes showing anything in robot mode.
See all the new Transformers products revealed at BotCon in our Hasbro's Toy Display Cases Photogallery!
Check out all the BotCon 2006 News Coverage here at SEIBERTRON.com