BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class

Transformers News: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class

Wednesday, April 25th, 2012 6:02PM CDT

Categories: Site News, Toy News, Event News, Collector's Club News
Posted by: Anonymous.   Views: 42,799

To start of this year's coverage of BotCon 2012 from Dallas, TX, the first gallery we have is from the Customizing Class. Early this Wednesday, our own Seibertron traded in his camera for a paintbrush. He got to work on the 2012 Customizing Class figure, Longarm. From the Reveal the Shield Jazz figure, Longarm's name homages Animated Longarm, while looking much like his Generation One self. The gallery features everything related to Longarm, and the hard working people who get to cherish their exclusive figure. All 34 images can be seen by clicking the links throughout the story, or the images below.

Stay tuned to Seibertron.com for more BotCon 2012 Coverage throughout the week.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373014)
Posted by daimchoc on April 25th, 2012 @ 6:16pm CDT
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373015)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2012 @ 6:16pm CDT

...9-5? The class is a full 8 hours??
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373017)
Posted by craggy on April 25th, 2012 @ 6:18pm CDT
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373019)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2012 @ 6:19pm CDT
craggy wrote:there's no way it will take 8hours to cut if off a sprue, stick the appropriate parts together and do a tiny bit of colouring. people getting paid pennies manage to do it a lot quicker, fully fed and awake Botconners should surely be quicker!

:shock: :lol:
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373020)
Posted by AutobotMR2 on April 25th, 2012 @ 6:20pm CDT
I have to say I feel foolish for not grasping this sooner. Cool beans, hope you guys are having fun!
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373033)
Posted by DISCHARGE on April 25th, 2012 @ 6:43pm CDT
I wonder if the FOC Shockwave head will fit Jazz so people will be able to make their own.

The class looks like fun
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373058)
Posted by daimchoc on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:28pm CDT
Autobot032 wrote:Hmm. The Shockwave head looks much nicer than I expected. I'm still not sure on the choice of figure body, but the head's nice.

...9-5? The class is a full 8 hours??

Check this out:

http://www.collecticon.org/2012/01/awes ... ns-botcon/

Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373059)
Posted by WolfDawg on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:31pm CDT
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373060)
Posted by Anonymous. on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:31pm CDT
daimchoc wrote:Would it be possible to get some instructions? I have an extra Jazz that I'd like to make into LongArm as well. Thank you in advance.

[color=teal]

Also never realized you were a user on the boards, Daimchoc. Just want to thank you for helping out with the news for a very long time :)
[/color]
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373062)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:33pm CDT
daimchoc wrote:

...9-5? The class is a full 8 hours??

Check this out:

http://www.collecticon.org/2012/01/awes ... ns-botcon/

:BOWDOWN: That's pretty.

WolfDawg wrote:This is definitely a little confusing. I mean, the figure looks awesome, but I don't get the character association. He's shattered glass Longarm...that looks exactly like a Classic-ized Alternators Shockwave? This just seems like a case where fiction didn't need to be applied to a character. They should have just said "Hey, we're turning Jazz into Shockwave and giving him a new head" and been done with it.

I think it has something to do with Animated Longarm and how he was really Shockwave in disguise. Yeah, reaching, I agree.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373063)
Posted by Mindmaster on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:34pm CDT
So essentially... he's an evil version of Punch/Counterpunch? :???:
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373070)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:37pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:So essentially... he's an evil version of Punch/Counterpunch? :???:

...that fits. Wow, minus the gimmick, what a sucky idea. Fail, thy name is Longarm.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373071)
Posted by Burn on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:39pm CDT
Blurrz wrote:

[color=teal]
Unfortunately the fans who get to go to the class are given sprues that are already colored appropriately from the factory. As in they don't start from a RTS Jazz from scratch, but rather pieces that are likely purple and light grey. I bet most of the time in the class is spent nailing in pins which is quite the pain! [/color]

And still I fail to understand why they call it a "customising" class.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373077)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:46pm CDT
Burn wrote:
Blurrz wrote:

[color=teal]

And still I fail to understand why they call it a "customising" class.

I would like to know, the paints they provide, are they the same quality as what's applied at the factory? If so, where do I get my mitts on some? I use paint pens and stuff like that, and they work well, but some of those factory apps look fantastic and my work just doesn't compare.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373095)
Posted by Burn on April 25th, 2012 @ 8:20pm CDT
Autobot032 wrote:From what I can tell, it's the painting aspect that falls under the custom label.

Yeah but even then you're using their paints. From what I can tell they're more about assembly than customising.

But eh, i'm probably just being grumpy and bitter again because I missed out on another BotCon. :lol:
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373099)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2012 @ 8:23pm CDT
Burn wrote:

It could be as chintzy as this: Because it's a redeco/remold of an existing figure, assembling it could be considered working on a custom figure. (Now that I say it, I'm thinking that's exactly what it is....)
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373103)
Posted by Burn on April 25th, 2012 @ 8:33pm CDT

Either way, it seems like false advertising, but damn those classes fill up fast each year. :lol:
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373105)
Posted by daimchoc on April 25th, 2012 @ 8:36pm CDT
Blurrz wrote:

[color=teal]

[/color]

:grin: I've been lurking since early 2K, but I wanted to be able to contribute. Might as well, right?

Regarding the instructions, it would just be nice to get all the locations of the pins that would be in the instruction book. Thank you sir. ;)
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373107)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2012 @ 8:49pm CDT
Burn wrote:Oh it is, but to me, and this is strictly my interpretation because it's what i've done in the past, "customising" is taking an existing figure and modifying it, which can involve such things as disassembly, modification to existing parts, addition of new parts, painting, and reassembly.

8 hours, though? That's...dedication on a planetary level.
Mad props to those who can.

After 2.5 hours of "Now why the hell doesn't the arm bend THAT way?!", I'd be ready to throw up my white flag.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373111)
Posted by Burn on April 25th, 2012 @ 8:54pm CDT
Mate I can barely tolerate half an hour of painting before my eyes scream "TOO MUCH FOCUSING! WE WANT TV!"

Ending Soon On eBay

Vintage Transformers G1 1984 Autobot Air Guardian Jetfire w/ Box Hasbro Bandai - Time Remaining: 4 days 22 hours 15 minutes 6 seconds
Hasbro TRANSFORMERS Movie 2007 DECEPTICON BRAWL Deluxe Class  AFA 85/85/90 - Time Remaining: 4 days 10 hours 17 minutes 21 seconds
1985 Bombshell Unused + Booklet Tech Spec Complete G1 Transformers Insecticon - Time Remaining: 4 days 23 hours 47 minutes 38 seconds
Transformers Beast Wars MEGATRON T-Rex tyrannosaurus w manual and bio card - Time Remaining: 11 days 2 minutes 52 seconds
1985 Kickback Unused + Booklet Tech Spec Complete G1 Transformers Insecticon - Time Remaining: 4 days 22 hours 18 minutes 24 seconds
Transformers G2 1995 DREADWING 100% complete - Time Remaining: 5 days 13 hours 4 minutes 56 seconds
BLASTER! Transformers TITANS RETURN, Leader Class *** IN HAND!!! - Time Remaining: 20 days 15 hours 51 minutes 52 seconds
1985 Chop Shop Unused + Booklet & Tech Spec Complete G1 Transformers Insecticon - Time Remaining: 4 days 22 hours 36 minutes 50 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #153 - Last Knights of Cybertron
"Last Knights of Cybertron"
Posted: Monday, August 15th, 2016