Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class

Transformers News: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class

Wednesday, April 25th, 2012 6:02PM CDT

Categories: Collector's Club News, Event News, Site News, Toy News
Posted by: Anonymous.   Views: 39,583

To start of this year's coverage of BotCon 2012 from Dallas, TX, the first gallery we have is from the Customizing Class. Early this Wednesday, our own Seibertron traded in his camera for a paintbrush. He got to work on the 2012 Customizing Class figure, Longarm. From the Reveal the Shield Jazz figure, Longarm's name homages Animated Longarm, while looking much like his Generation One self. The gallery features everything related to Longarm, and the hard working people who get to cherish their exclusive figure. All 34 images can be seen by clicking the links throughout the story, or the images below.

Stay tuned to Seibertron.com for more BotCon 2012 Coverage throughout the week.

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373014)
Posted by daimchoc on April 25th, 2012 @ 6:16pm CDT
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373015)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2012 @ 6:16pm CDT

...9-5? The class is a full 8 hours??
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373017)
Posted by craggy on April 25th, 2012 @ 6:18pm CDT
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373019)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2012 @ 6:19pm CDT
craggy wrote:there's no way it will take 8hours to cut if off a sprue, stick the appropriate parts together and do a tiny bit of colouring. people getting paid pennies manage to do it a lot quicker, fully fed and awake Botconners should surely be quicker!

:shock: :lol:
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373020)
Posted by AutobotMR2 on April 25th, 2012 @ 6:20pm CDT
I have to say I feel foolish for not grasping this sooner. Cool beans, hope you guys are having fun!
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373033)
Posted by DISCHARGE on April 25th, 2012 @ 6:43pm CDT
I wonder if the FOC Shockwave head will fit Jazz so people will be able to make their own.

The class looks like fun
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373058)
Posted by daimchoc on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:28pm CDT
Autobot032 wrote:Hmm. The Shockwave head looks much nicer than I expected. I'm still not sure on the choice of figure body, but the head's nice.

...9-5? The class is a full 8 hours??

Check this out:

http://www.collecticon.org/2012/01/awes ... ns-botcon/

Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373059)
Posted by WolfDawg on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:31pm CDT
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373060)
Posted by Anonymous. on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:31pm CDT
daimchoc wrote:Would it be possible to get some instructions? I have an extra Jazz that I'd like to make into LongArm as well. Thank you in advance.

Unfortunately the fans who get to go to the class are given sprues that are already colored appropriately from the factory. As in they don't start from a RTS Jazz from scratch, but rather pieces that are likely purple and light grey. I bet most of the time in the class is spent nailing in pins which is quite the pain!

Also never realized you were a user on the boards, Daimchoc. Just want to thank you for helping out with the news for a very long time :)
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373062)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:33pm CDT
daimchoc wrote:

...9-5? The class is a full 8 hours??

Check this out:

http://www.collecticon.org/2012/01/awes ... ns-botcon/

:BOWDOWN: That's pretty.

WolfDawg wrote:This is definitely a little confusing. I mean, the figure looks awesome, but I don't get the character association. He's shattered glass Longarm...that looks exactly like a Classic-ized Alternators Shockwave? This just seems like a case where fiction didn't need to be applied to a character. They should have just said "Hey, we're turning Jazz into Shockwave and giving him a new head" and been done with it.

I think it has something to do with Animated Longarm and how he was really Shockwave in disguise. Yeah, reaching, I agree.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373063)
Posted by Mindmaster on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:34pm CDT
So essentially... he's an evil version of Punch/Counterpunch? :???:
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373070)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:37pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:So essentially... he's an evil version of Punch/Counterpunch? :???:

...that fits. Wow, minus the gimmick, what a sucky idea. Fail, thy name is Longarm.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373071)
Posted by Burn on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:39pm CDT
Blurrz wrote:

And still I fail to understand why they call it a "customising" class.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373077)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2012 @ 7:46pm CDT
Burn wrote:
Blurrz wrote:

And still I fail to understand why they call it a "customising" class.

I would like to know, the paints they provide, are they the same quality as what's applied at the factory? If so, where do I get my mitts on some? I use paint pens and stuff like that, and they work well, but some of those factory apps look fantastic and my work just doesn't compare.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373095)
Posted by Burn on April 25th, 2012 @ 8:20pm CDT
Autobot032 wrote:From what I can tell, it's the painting aspect that falls under the custom label.

Yeah but even then you're using their paints. From what I can tell they're more about assembly than customising.

But eh, i'm probably just being grumpy and bitter again because I missed out on another BotCon. :lol:
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373099)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2012 @ 8:23pm CDT
Burn wrote:

It could be as chintzy as this: Because it's a redeco/remold of an existing figure, assembling it could be considered working on a custom figure. (Now that I say it, I'm thinking that's exactly what it is....)
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373103)
Posted by Burn on April 25th, 2012 @ 8:33pm CDT

Either way, it seems like false advertising, but damn those classes fill up fast each year. :lol:
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373105)
Posted by daimchoc on April 25th, 2012 @ 8:36pm CDT
Blurrz wrote:

:grin: I've been lurking since early 2K, but I wanted to be able to contribute. Might as well, right?

Regarding the instructions, it would just be nice to get all the locations of the pins that would be in the instruction book. Thank you sir. ;)
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373107)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2012 @ 8:49pm CDT
Burn wrote:Oh it is, but to me, and this is strictly my interpretation because it's what i've done in the past, "customising" is taking an existing figure and modifying it, which can involve such things as disassembly, modification to existing parts, addition of new parts, painting, and reassembly.

8 hours, though? That's...dedication on a planetary level.
Mad props to those who can.

After 2.5 hours of "Now why the hell doesn't the arm bend THAT way?!", I'd be ready to throw up my white flag.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373111)
Posted by Burn on April 25th, 2012 @ 8:54pm CDT
Mate I can barely tolerate half an hour of painting before my eyes scream "TOO MUCH FOCUSING! WE WANT TV!"
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373113)
Posted by Screamfleet on April 25th, 2012 @ 8:58pm CDT
aww man, that's a really cool figure...
I might have to get a jazz to make one myself.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373127)
Posted by Rated X on April 25th, 2012 @ 9:54pm CDT

And why in the blue hell is the guy in the last picture dressed like puss in boots ???
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373131)
Posted by Autobot032 on April 25th, 2012 @ 10:00pm CDT
Rated X wrote:Im sorry, I just dont like the concept. Dumb. Just plain dumb. Especially with Generations Shockwave just a few months away. At least when Funpub made "young Kup" in 2009, they did it a couple years before Generations Kup came out. I dont see any people using this figure to stand in as Shockwave.

I..uh..wow, that's a fancy hat.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373142)
Posted by triKlops on April 25th, 2012 @ 10:30pm CDT
pretty interesting recolor, although the weeds of continuity are rough to wade through
however, regardless of definition of customizing, this is a cool toy to walk away with after the con
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373289)
Posted by Tigertrack on April 26th, 2012 @ 7:45am CDT
I like this as a choice for them to do.

After feeling shafted from having them do figures that would be great as collector's club, or exclusive releases; G2 Sideswipe, and Animated Minerva, I feel like this is a good choice.

If I were in the class, I would feel happy about being able to make a Shockwave, and cool that it refers to his Alternator/BT. As a collector, I don't feel like I got shafted because I am not there, because this is not a figure that is a MUST HAVE, like the other two.

Great choice, FunPub, HASbro, and Mr. Tessman.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373290)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on April 26th, 2012 @ 7:53am CDT
As for character mysteries, he seems to be part of SG Nightbeat's Autobot Secret Police, given the emblem on his roof. According to TFWiki he disguises himself as G1 Shockwave (he probably got the idea from the separate BT Timeline) to investigate the war between Classicsverse and Shattered Glass Universe.

And get this: in the Classicsverse (which ignores the Marvel UK and G2 comics) the real Shockwave is nothing more than a head hooked on life support. So the disguise works as the real Shockwave is out of commission.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373319)
Posted by Kibble on April 26th, 2012 @ 9:12am CDT
tigertracks 24 wrote:I like this as a choice for them to do.

Great choice, FunPub, HASbro, and Mr. Tessman.

I said the same thing in a post elsewhere. This is a really cool figure I'd love to have if it were a half-way reasonable price, but at the same time, nothing that leaves a gaping hole in my collection by not having. And it has a bunch of cool references to other figures. Exactly what a figure of this nature should be IMO.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373322)
Posted by GuyIncognito on April 26th, 2012 @ 9:20am CDT
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373335)
Posted by Tigertrack on April 26th, 2012 @ 9:31am CDT
GuyIncognito wrote:I love the addition of the Shockwave head as an homage to the Alternators figure. I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it was a retail release. But now I'm even MORE confused as to why they're calling it "Longarm". Did they just pull a random name out of a hat?

AS far as I know, without reviewing the fiction again, it is in relation to Animated's Shockwave being Autobot Longarm when he was infiltrating the Autobot Communications.

Why they did not just call it Alternators Shockwave or what not, has to do with that fiction piece that was brought up a few posts earlier.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373337)
Posted by RiddlerJ on April 26th, 2012 @ 9:33am CDT
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373338)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on April 26th, 2012 @ 9:37am CDT
RiddlerJ wrote:Wait! So will the figure have an actual Shockwave head and gun or be a straight Jass repaint?

Both. The choice is up to the customizer:

Without added pieces: SG Longarm
With newly added pieces: G1 Shockwave
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373343)
Posted by GuyIncognito on April 26th, 2012 @ 9:44am CDT
tigertracks 24 wrote:

OK, I can see the connection to the Animated storyline, but in that storyline Shockwave disguised himself in a form that resembles the form Longarm usually takes: a crane. "Disguising" himself as a purple car and calling himself Longarm seems like a pretty lousy disguise.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373357)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on April 26th, 2012 @ 9:59am CDT
GuyIncognito wrote:
tigertracks 24 wrote:

You're missing the point here: his real name is Longarm, he uses the name Shockwave for his disguise, seemingly reversing what Animated did. See my post on the previous page.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373362)
Posted by gavinfuzzy on April 26th, 2012 @ 10:10am CDT
Burn wrote:
Blurrz wrote:

And still I fail to understand why they call it a "customising" class.

I guess it started with a regular retail figure and you had to paint it yourself, hence the "custom" part... But then I guess anyone could do it at home, since you're not provided with airbrushes but regular paints and brushes.

Along the line they started casting the whole figure in different colours, I think it started with G2 sideswipe, cast in black, requiring little to no paint. Dammit, I still would love a black sideswipe.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373385)
Posted by RiddlerJ on April 26th, 2012 @ 10:59am CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

Both. The choice is up to the customizer:

Without added pieces: SG Longarm
With newly added pieces: G1 Shockwave

Now I want it.

If I didn't have the consolation that a Classics Shockwave was coming soon anyway, I'd be crying my little eyes out over missing this.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373470)
Posted by GuyIncognito on April 26th, 2012 @ 3:49pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

Oh, so it's not Shockwave disguised as Longarm, it's Longarm disguised as Shockwave. NOW I get it! :HEADHURTS: Sorry for being so dense! I don't follow the fiction very closely.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373666)
Posted by Tigertrack on April 27th, 2012 @ 8:46am CDT
GuyIncognito wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

And I've got it now too. :DANCE: Thanks.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373697)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on April 27th, 2012 @ 10:43am CDT
tigertracks 24 wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

And I've got it now too. :DANCE: Thanks.

Any time guys. Just don't expect any Sabrblade antics from me :lol:
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373756)
Posted by SJ21 on April 27th, 2012 @ 1:48pm CDT
I think the Shockwave head looks great as a Classics Shockwave. He might even fit into the Classics line better than the FoC version that is coming out.

I am not going to get one, but some people will be very pleased.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373759)
Posted by Tigertrack on April 27th, 2012 @ 2:02pm CDT
$1,000 on eBay right now.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373768)
Posted by Dead Metal on April 27th, 2012 @ 2:30pm CDT

Also
tigertracks 24 wrote:$1,000 on eBay right now.

8-}
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1373797)
Posted by Kibble on April 27th, 2012 @ 4:17pm CDT
Dead Metal wrote:I keep hearing talk of an optional gun arm for this guy, but so far I haven't seen it. Or does the blaster confuse people?

Also
tigertracks 24 wrote:$1,000 on eBay right now.

8-}

I've seen the gun arm, it's not confusion.

Hopefully this thing keeps selling for ridiculous prices...that way it'll be KOed in no time. I want the Shackwave/blast configuration, though. ;)
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1375341)
Posted by Optimum Supreme on April 30th, 2012 @ 7:33pm CDT
Burn wrote:
Blurrz wrote:

And still I fail to understand why they call it a "customising" class.

Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1375413)
Posted by gavinfuzzy on May 1st, 2012 @ 1:00am CDT
Optimum Supreme wrote:
Burn wrote:
Blurrz wrote:

And still I fail to understand why they call it a "customising" class.

:lol:
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1375514)
Posted by Screamfleet on May 1st, 2012 @ 10:43am CDT
tigertracks 24 wrote:$1,000 on eBay right now.

geez, I wonder if I could buy some jazz's and make some customs and ask for 200 bucks.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1375519)
Posted by Kung Fu Man on May 1st, 2012 @ 10:59am CDT
Heck, could hope that CHMS does their own take on the mold and cranks one out at $40, but all that'd accomplish is having people yell profusely at how it was inferior and hurt the collector base. :\

It's a gun tip on a ball joint. There was a guy selling it and the Shockwave head on eBay just recently.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1375523)
Posted by Anonymous on May 1st, 2012 @ 11:09am CDT
Optimum Supreme wrote:Because if they called it a "3rd world toy factory worker simulator" attendance would be pretty low. 8-}

:lol: :APPLAUSE: :lol:

bloodied handed bed-bug infested malnourished slave labor ultra face palm.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1376071)
Posted by Bullycon on May 2nd, 2012 @ 1:57pm CDT

...9-5? The class is a full 8 hours??

Actually, a few of us were there until after 8 p.m. And then I still had to come back the next day, find a corner out of the way, and finish the toy. Altogether, I'd say I spent 13 hours on the toy.

I don't know what it was about the Jazz mold, but this sucker was a pain to put together. One major issue was they sent pins instead of screws for the shoulders. One of the people helping in the class had to take a power drill to each person's figure to get the pins to go in. Unfortunately, the pins were then too loose on mine to stay in.

For those saying it isn't really a customization, that may be true. The idea of the class is to let the person get a little bit of experience with fitting parts together, learning what goes where, and how to paint the toys. In that sense, it's mainly for beginners to learn about what it takes to customize a toy.

The problem is that this figure has now become a super-exclusive. So about 90% of the first day's class were repeat enrollees. How many were there for the class, and how many were there for the figure? FunPub really needs to figure out a way to make this figure available to everybody, so that seats in the class open up to those who have never been in it before.
Re: BotCon 2012 Coverage - Longarm Customizing Class (1376074)
Posted by DISCHARGE on May 2nd, 2012 @ 2:02pm CDT
Bullycon wrote:

Or offer the toy as the free attendee toy, only as the custom class version there could be exclusive parts\colors\stickers etc...
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #104 - Wrath of Con