BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display

Transformers News: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display

Saturday, June 29th, 2013 8:05PM CDT

Categories: Site News, Toy News, Event News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 43,044

Also now on display are several of the new Transformers Prime Beast Hunters figures that was revealed earlier today during the Hasbro brand panel. Click here for the full gallery.

Deluxe

• Rot Gut
  • Dive Bomb
  • Bluestreak
  • Ace Vehicon

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499314)
Posted by Brakethrough on June 29th, 2013 @ 8:16pm CDT
Ace Vehicon, Bot Detective. ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLRIGHTY THEN!
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499327)
Posted by ausbot on June 29th, 2013 @ 8:34pm CDT
Ok, so now I want a Barricade from that Prowl.
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499330)
Posted by Metrosuplex on June 29th, 2013 @ 8:39pm CDT
I get it :-? . "Simplified deluxe" = blown-up Legion.

I guess this kills 2 birds for Hasbro:
1) Everyone gets deluxe scale Abominus parts, and
2) Bigger transformers are easier to convert (for those who complain about modern complexity).

I guess it also saves the engineering costs of creating brand new deluxe molds for Abominus.

Dang, now I feel stupid for buying mini-Abominus! Is it too much to ask for you to make Hun-gurr into a Voyager class, Hasbro? :roll:
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499332)
Posted by craggy on June 29th, 2013 @ 8:43pm CDT
wow, Swoop has his original name in the Prime-verse. interesting and cool to see that getting used for him for the first time in plastic.
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499339)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 29th, 2013 @ 8:50pm CDT
Prowl and maybe the TerrorPreds are the only ones worth it.

Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499341)
Posted by Metrosuplex on June 29th, 2013 @ 8:57pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:The rest of them... urgh, Hasbro's pulling a Microsoft and shooting themselves in the foot with those simplified Deluxes and Voyagers.

This is actually a natural move on Hasbro's part. Have you seen the Iron Man 3 figures? They're simplified - no elbow or knee joints.

I look at it as Hasbro reducing production costs in order to keep the toy prices where they are and/or lowering costs overall to improve corporate profitability.

When you think about it, this simplification of Deluxes (from Legions) is the optimal solution (versus replacing TF's with Kreon's or Bot-shot non-transforming figures).

Furthermore, I'd be interested to see how the intended audience (children) react to these new deluxes. For some reason, I predict a positive reaction - when I was a kid, poseability wasn't the priority (and just look at the G1 figures' poseability!). :-?
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499342)
Posted by Yweggo on June 29th, 2013 @ 8:58pm CDT
I like Prowl's head. Not sure if I like the black Bumblebee, most likely I'm just going to stick with the first BH Bumblebee. I'm not a fan of the simplified figures, so I'm gonna pass. Love the cyberverse commanders, will most likely get Megatron and Bludgeon, Magnus is gonna depend on if his legs have been retooled to stay together. Gut Rot and Divebomb are easy passes, Bluestreak not so much. Seekercon is a (censored) Yeah!
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499353)
Posted by Manterax Prime on June 29th, 2013 @ 9:13pm CDT
Everything looks good, except for the oversized legion figs. I am looking forward to the simplified voyagers, now we just need that Prime in his Thunderclash colors.
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499356)
Posted by craggy on June 29th, 2013 @ 9:19pm CDT
is the Voyager Predaking with the clear wings an over-sized Commander too? Because it's sadly probably the best looking of the versions of him we've had. At least in bot mode. That sword is badass. Beast Planet Fallen, anyone?
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499357)
Posted by PrymeStriker on June 29th, 2013 @ 9:20pm CDT
So, Prowl does have a retooled head.

Brilliant. :twisted:
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499358)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 29th, 2013 @ 9:23pm CDT
craggy wrote:is the Voyager Predaking with the clear wings an over-sized Commander too?

Appears that way.

[quote]Beast Planet Fallen, anyone?[/quote]

Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499363)
Posted by craggy on June 29th, 2013 @ 9:28pm CDT
Metrosuplex wrote:

I remember when the G1 toys started simplifying as new molds were being created in conjunction with Hasbro, rather than just Diaclone toys being repainted. By the time Headmasters rolled around and the gimmicks started, I was still plenty happy and excited by Transformers, but my parents, who bought me the toys, saw the drop in quality and didn't get me many. We got the Classic Heroes reissues here around the same sort of time, so I was still able to get some of them, but the new, cheaper, less posable (and all plastic vs plastic/die-cast/chrome combos) bots were ones my folks discouraged me against. I can imagine that similar things will happen to kids with parents who value their money more.

I don't think making worse toys for more money is a great way to keep the brand ticking along. An all-repaint line, even if they went back a few years for molds, would probably do at least as good. Beyond some of the major characters (and really, isn't every kid who likes TFs going to have at least a couple Bumblebees and Primes by now?) the characters shouldn't matter, since there won't be a show to promote them by the time these come out. If they didn't want to repaint the early BH and/or older Prime stuff then why not just delve into older lines for filler stuff, or go all-out with the Generations stuff? I wouldn't be surprised at the poor value of these supposed Deluxes turning off consumers and leading them to ignore later, probably better designed toys in the future.
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499365)
Posted by gavinfuzzy on June 29th, 2013 @ 9:31pm CDT
Will these Terrorcons combine?

I only see 2/5 of the Terrorcons here.

If they are making all, and they combine... :APPLAUSE:

Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499366)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on June 29th, 2013 @ 9:31pm CDT
Wait, they're doing OFFICIAL up-sizings of smaller-scale figures?

The kind of thing that's been largely the domain of knock-off companies?

Hasbro and Takara, listen carefully: enlarge the Animated Activators Starscream mold into a full-scale Slipstream!

Now! NOW!! NOW!!!

Yeah, I know, Animated's dead, but after news of new Beast Wars and Armada stuff...
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499370)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 29th, 2013 @ 9:34pm CDT
gavinfuzzy wrote:Will these Terrorcons combine?

If they do, they might use another way of combining. Otherwise, it doesn't appear so. Which is saddening; if they can combine, I'd actually consider getting the TerrorPreds and display them as Classics Abominus.

[quote]I only see 2/5 of the Terrorcons here.

If they are making all, and they combine... :APPLAUSE: [/quote]

No word of the other three are being upscaled.

[quote]Only complaint is that these upscaled cyberverse is going to shelfwarm... :BANG_HEAD:[/quote]

Ditto, they'll get in the way of all those wonderful Generations toys. :-(
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499371)
Posted by T-Macksimus on June 29th, 2013 @ 9:36pm CDT
Metrosuplex wrote:

If you're from the same age range as me then poseability wasn't an issue because we had 5 points of articulation on our classic Star Wars figures and we were happy as pigs in slop! We didn't know any better. The pinnacle of poseability was the original 12" 1960's G.I. Joe figures and those were a rarity by the time our generation started messing with TF's and while Micro-Man figures were great for flexibility, they were not very common in all areas and they were rather fragile and certainly not suitable for any kid under 10 years of age if you wanted them to last more than 30 seconds.
While I admire your optimism and can certainly see a certain logic behind Hasbro's move, I think they are not properly gauging the reaction of the kids. Their strategy is only going to win over the 7 and under crowd. Any kid older than that is going to say "Screw this!" and lose interest in the first minute. It's still the ADD generation, the generation that HAS to have something "over the top" to hold their attention for more than 5 minutes and doesn't give 2 shits that mom and dad can't afford it. Whatever Habro's reason for making this move, I'm not buying that it's for any desire to get back to basics or that it is strictly a cost issue either and I certainly don't harbor any illusions that they are going to drop their prices back to what they were a few years ago. No, we are going to get less product...again... and get the price raised on us... again!
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499376)
Posted by Metrosuplex on June 29th, 2013 @ 9:51pm CDT
What I meant:
A) Hasbro will keep prices where they are (hopefully), so that we're not paying $20 for deluxes next year.
B) Hasbro has made direct comments about how difficult the new TF's are to convert. They DO have an interest in simplifying the line.
C) This legion to deluxe move is cost-effective, as it requires little-to-no retooling (just up-scaling).
D) Hasbro is already simplifying their other toy lines (GI JOE & Iron Man), so it's inevitable that even TF sees a dramatic drop in quality -- but hopefully the drop isn't too severe as to completely turn off the majority of kids (who I believe are less observant than you guys).

Of course this is crap for collectors; I am only addressing the ramifications this will have for the children market.

craggy wrote:

I think your parents were FAR MORE INVOLVED than most parents today. Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I don't notice parents pay attention to toy articulation. They pick up a TF and wonder if little Timmy will be able to transform it on his own. Read some of the comments on Amazon - I see a ton of "My grandson was able to build it and he is playing with it over and over!" etc. In other words, I suspect the parents will not notice the drop in quality.

Have parents noticed the Iron Man 3 toys being crap? :-? They seem to shelf-warm, and maybe it's because the parents see them as cheap crap, as you say?

But I totally agree with your idea of using older Energon/Armada/etc. molds instead of upscaled Legion molds. They did that in 2007 with the movie-verse figures. And in the same vein of this discussion, most kids weren't exactly around for those old molds, so it'd be new to them!

T-Macksimus wrote:

Very well put! :APPLAUSE: I agree with all of your points. We certainly didn't have much poseability, and we didn't know better.

I'm not factoring the ADD issue. Now that you mention it, THAT is why so many toys today need to have a FEATURE. Like stupid missile launchers - those come with everything now and I'm always annoyed when they advertise it as something AMAZING!

But the over-the-top attention grabber you speak of is an Ipad. An Xbox. I don't see many kids today swat an eye at the Transformers section of the store; I see plenty in the TMNT section (which incidentally is NOT run by the ad-wizards at Hasbro! :roll: ). TMNT toys don't have a lot of gimmicks at all, and kids flock to them. They don't have a ton of articulation either, now that I think of it. So, in essence, it IS possible to interest kids in these things... but Hasbro is clearly doing it wrong.
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499402)
Posted by Evil_the_Nub on June 29th, 2013 @ 10:52pm CDT
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499405)
Posted by That Bot on June 29th, 2013 @ 11:03pm CDT
Evil_the_Nub wrote:Do we know how much these oversized cyberverse figures are going to cost? I'f they're cheaper than most deluxes and voyagers I can maybe get on board with them. If not it's kind of a slap in the face to charge full price for an oversized version of the cheap alternative.

The labels in front of them say the upscaled deluxes have an MSRP of $12.99 and the voyagers $19.99.
Re: BotCon 2013 Coverage: Transformers Prime Beast Hunters on Display (1499406)
Posted by Noideaforaname on June 29th, 2013 @ 11:06pm CDT
So basically, only the Jet Vehicon is really new new, and even then he's actually a redeco!

Ending Soon On eBay

hasbro takara 1990 transformers G1 Blaster and Krok ACTION MASTER action figure - Time Remaining: 4 days 14 hours 37 minutes 27 seconds
Transformers Generations Voyager Class Decepticon Powerdive Action Figure - Time Remaining: 5 days 6 hours 8 minutes 32 seconds
Transformers G1 Decepticon Constructicons SCRAPPER Hasbro 1990 - Time Remaining: 4 days 15 hours 10 minutes 2 seconds
Transformers G1 Decepticon Constructicons MIXMASTER Hasbro 1990 - Time Remaining: 4 days 15 hours 26 minutes 23 seconds
Transformers G1 Decepticon Constructicons BONECRUSHER Hasbro 1990 - Time Remaining: 4 days 14 hours 42 minutes 28 seconds
Transformers Hasbro G1 Reissue insecticons kickback bombshell shrapnel in Stock - Time Remaining: 3 days 22 hours 13 minutes 49 seconds
Transformers G1 Decepticon Constructicons SCAVENGER Hasbro 1990 - Time Remaining: 4 days 14 hours 14 minutes 12 seconds
Transformers G2 1994 Rotor Force POWERDIVE Blade  complete - Time Remaining: 5 days 4 hours 7 minutes 23 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #151 - SDCC 2016