BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed

Transformers News: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed

Friday, April 12th, 2013 3:19PM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Event News, Collector's Club News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 22,535

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" set revealed


The official BotCon 2013 website has posted the box art for this year's Machine Wars: Termination convention exclusive set, which features Obsidian, Strika, Skywarp, Megaplex, and Hoist. The box will feature a cut out window reminiscent of the original Machine Wars packaging along with General Obsidian artwork. Check out he box art below.

The five-figure boxed set, which includes General Obsidian, General Strika, Commander Megaplex, Clone Warrior Skywarp, and Autobot Hoist, will be presented in an illustrated display box but, for the first time ever for BotCon, will also feature a cut out mimicking the style of the original MACHINE WARS packaging. This set can be displayed alongside all of your previous BotCon sets and/or your classic Machine Wars toys! Also included with the set is a certificate of authenticity, tech specs and figure weapons.


Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" set revealed
Credit(s): BotCon
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478498)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on April 12th, 2013 @ 3:21pm CDT
With only Obsidian as the packaging art for 5 figures? Weird move.
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478499)
Posted by rpetras on April 12th, 2013 @ 3:25pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:With only Obsidian as the packaging art for 5 figures? Weird move.



I'd showcase him too.
He's the only one of the bunch that doesn't suck out loud.
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478506)
Posted by Seibertron on April 12th, 2013 @ 3:46pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:With only Obsidian as the packaging art for 5 figures? Weird move.


I agree. I would've preferred the "scene" artwork depicting the 5 characters in an action shot or moment similar to previous years. It would've been interesting to see a mock-up of the box done in a hybrid G1 Combiner giftset with Machine Wars styling.

What I don't like about this style is too much emphasis on one character when it should be about the set as a whole. Hopefully this point doesn't get lost on the comics like it has during the past 4 or 5 BotCons since the 2010 sets onward.
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478520)
Posted by Hoitytoity on April 12th, 2013 @ 4:15pm CDT
I get where they're going, and like it. What I don't like is the only characters/figures visible in the art aren't Machine Wars characters >____>

Beast Machine Wars all the way, apparently.
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478527)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on April 12th, 2013 @ 4:21pm CDT
Hoitytoity wrote:I get where they're going, and like it. What I don't like is the only characters/figures visible in the art aren't Machine Wars characters >____>

Beast Machine Wars all the way, apparently.


Technically speaking, only MW Hubcap was a Machine Wars original character, the rest was a collection of returning G1 characters. Obsidian and Strika, while Beast Machines originals, had their backstory roots in pre-Beast Wars (read G1) time if we're to believe their fame in the show.
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478539)
Posted by g1grimlock on April 12th, 2013 @ 5:04pm CDT
It looks good and bad, hopefully this isn't the final product because it could definitely use some or a lot of adjustments. One thing that would make it look better is some actual box art instead of just Obsidian looking silly. I do like the fact that they are showing some of the toys in the box unfortunately Obsidian steals the show again! :BANG_HEAD:
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478579)
Posted by Henry921 on April 12th, 2013 @ 7:50pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Hoitytoity wrote:I get where they're going, and like it. What I don't like is the only characters/figures visible in the art aren't Machine Wars characters >____>

Beast Machine Wars all the way, apparently.


Technically speaking, only MW Hubcap was a Machine Wars original character, the rest was a collection of returning G1 characters. Obsidian and Strika, while Beast Machines originals, had their backstory roots in pre-Beast Wars (read G1) time if we're to believe their fame in the show.



What about Megaplex?

While Obsidian is probably the best figure of the set, I'd argue that Megaplex is the one they should be highlighting, as in this storyline, he's the guy leading all the carnage and throwing Cybertron into conflict.
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478587)
Posted by Seibertron on April 12th, 2013 @ 8:15pm CDT
Henry921 wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Hoitytoity wrote:I get where they're going, and like it. What I don't like is the only characters/figures visible in the art aren't Machine Wars characters >____>

Beast Machine Wars all the way, apparently.


Technically speaking, only MW Hubcap was a Machine Wars original character, the rest was a collection of returning G1 characters. Obsidian and Strika, while Beast Machines originals, had their backstory roots in pre-Beast Wars (read G1) time if we're to believe their fame in the show.



What about Megaplex?

While Obsidian is probably the best figure of the set, I'd argue that Megaplex is the one they should be highlighting, as in this storyline, he's the guy leading all the carnage and throwing Cybertron into conflict.


Megaplex with a new Megatron head should've been the showcased figure.
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478591)
Posted by Henry921 on April 12th, 2013 @ 8:23pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:

Megaplex with a new Megatron head should've been the showcased figure.


If wishing made it so...
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478658)
Posted by ILL-Star on April 13th, 2013 @ 12:28am CDT
I think Obsidian's vehicle mode over Megaplex's typical jet mode is a more interesting look. Plus it has a more steam punk kind of appearence which in my opinion says Machine more than the smooth stream lined jet.
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478660)
Posted by Henry921 on April 13th, 2013 @ 12:35am CDT
All this talk of Obsidian... I just noticed something.

It isn't visible in the stock photography, but in the box in vehicle mode, it looks like he's got faction symbols on his frame. Kinda hard to tell what... it looks almost like a G2 Decepticon sign.

<!-- ia0 -->redcircles.jpg<!-- ia0 -->
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478675)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on April 13th, 2013 @ 4:09am CDT
Henry921 wrote:All this talk of Obsidian... I just noticed something.

It isn't visible in the stock photography, but in the box in vehicle mode, it looks like he's got faction symbols on his frame. Kinda hard to tell what... it looks almost like a G2 Decepticon sign.

[attachment=0]redcircles.jpg[/attachment]


That wouldn't make sense as Obsidian and Strika are Autobots in this case, in charge of the protection of Cybertron (something that's carried to the extreme in Beast Machines).

And I did forget Megaplex, stupid me #-o And supposedly he's a new clone made by Jhiaxus, separate from the original Megaplex (original clone? Oxymoron central right here). That would explain away his new noggin, as his G2 Go-Bot clones (the G1-named ones) looked nothing like the originals.
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478678)
Posted by gothsaurus on April 13th, 2013 @ 4:52am CDT
Oh... I bet they used his pic because he's the one you can see thru the window. It's always a bit of a puzzle to cram them into the box. Could have just ended up that layout? Who knows... Still looks pretty good, though I miss the big battle scene. I hope they do a litho.
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478681)
Posted by Henry921 on April 13th, 2013 @ 5:24am CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

That wouldn't make sense as Obsidian and Strika are Autobots in this case, in charge of the protection of Cybertron (something that's carried to the extreme in Beast Machines).

And I did forget Megaplex, stupid me #-o And supposedly he's a new clone made by Jhiaxus, separate from the original Megaplex (original clone? Oxymoron central right here). That would explain away his new noggin, as his G2 Go-Bot clones (the G1-named ones) looked nothing like the originals.


Perhaps this story will fill in that blank. Maybe Obsidian started out on the wrong side before Strika showed him the path of justice?

It may just be an unrelated sigil, but it looks like a G2 Decepticon logo to me.
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478736)
Posted by Dagon on April 13th, 2013 @ 9:33am CDT
Henry921 wrote:
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

That wouldn't make sense as Obsidian and Strika are Autobots in this case, in charge of the protection of Cybertron (something that's carried to the extreme in Beast Machines).


Perhaps this story will fill in that blank. Maybe Obsidian started out on the wrong side before Strika showed him the path of justice?

It may just be an unrelated sigil, but it looks like a G2 Decepticon logo to me.


That's a good point. Maybe they were the greatest generals on opposite sides of the conflict, before joining up together. They could both be loyal to Cybertron before any faction loyalties, but just took different routes in order to serve Cybertron.

Could Strika and OBsidian be the warring machines of the title, seeing as they are the two figures shown and are facing each other on the boxart? Perhaps this story is about them fighting each other before teaming up to repel a greater threat?

I know, JelZe, I know the Jihaxus thing for the storyline this year. I don't need any clarification or whatever.It's just an idea.

I also really like the box design.
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478888)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on April 13th, 2013 @ 9:20pm CDT
If you look really close, those symbols on Obsidian's tail fins are Highbrow's pretzel thingies, not G2 decepticon symbols. he even has the "P+10" tampo

Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478894)
Posted by RAcast on April 13th, 2013 @ 9:39pm CDT
SW's SilverHammer wrote:If you look really close, those symbols on Obsidian's tail fins are Highbrow's pretzel thingies, not G2 decepticon symbols. he even has the "P+10" tampo


That explains why the art on the box looks NOTHING like Obsidian's actual colors. It's presumably just a mock-up at this point?
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1478934)
Posted by Henry921 on April 14th, 2013 @ 1:25am CDT
Ah, pretzel things. Of course! :lol:

Shows what I know, I never owned the mold.
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1479062)
Posted by Mindmaster on April 14th, 2013 @ 12:29pm CDT
Henry921 wrote:Ah, pretzel things. Of course! :lol:

Shows what I know, I never owned the mold.


Join the club. After ROTF, I stopped getting toys based off the films. That includes HFTD and the film-themed portion of RTS.
Re: BotCon 2013 Machine Wars: Termination Box Art Revealed (1492884)
Posted by El Duque on June 5th, 2013 @ 1:25pm CDT



The Official Transformers Collectors' Club has received a final sample of this year's BotCon convention Machine Wars: Termination box set. The set features Obsidian, Strika, Skywarp, Megaplex, and Hoist. Check out the image mirrored below.


Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #136 - The Gathering
Twincast / Podcast #136:
"The Gathering"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, January 30th, 2016