Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample

Transformers News: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample

Saturday, June 8th, 2013 6:06PM CDT

Categories: Event News, Toy News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 15,725

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

The official BotCon facebook page continues to share images of their production samples from this year's convention exclusive Machine Wars: Termination box set. Today we get a look Obsidian, check him out below!

Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" set revealed

Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" set revealed
Credit(s): BotCon
Search Got Transformers News? Let us know here!
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1493686)
Posted by Rated X on June 8th, 2013 @ 6:11pm CDT
Probably the best figure in the set. Although a new Megaplex head would surly change my mind...

Does the term "production sample" mean that they still don't have the actual sets in hand only 18 days before Botcon ?
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1493763)
Posted by Henry921 on June 9th, 2013 @ 1:17am CDT
Don't like him quite as much now... his gray is a bit too light, and there are more yellow highlights than I anticipated.

Still, easily the best figure in the set.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1493824)
Posted by xyl360 on June 9th, 2013 @ 8:46am CDT
Hmm, he seems a lot more gray and a lot less blue than I was hoping for/expecting. I may not be quite so determined to pick him and Strika up after all.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1493899)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 9th, 2013 @ 2:05pm CDT
xyl360 wrote:Hmm, he seems a lot more gray and a lot less blue than I was hoping for/expecting. I may not be quite so determined to pick him and Strika up after all.
But the gray is show-accurate. That's the closest color any Obsidian toy has ever been to his cartoon colors.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494126)
Posted by xyl360 on June 10th, 2013 @ 12:28pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
xyl360 wrote:Hmm, he seems a lot more gray and a lot less blue than I was hoping for/expecting. I may not be quite so determined to pick him and Strika up after all.
But the gray is show-accurate. That's the closest color any Obsidian toy has ever been to his cartoon colors.

Yeah, that's true, I think the blue just looked nicer to me and the gray more bland (even though show accurate). It would be nice if they'd re-release he and Strika in fully show-accurate colors though (the original toys, not these) but I don't think that will ever happen.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494132)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 10th, 2013 @ 12:40pm CDT
xyl360 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
xyl360 wrote:Hmm, he seems a lot more gray and a lot less blue than I was hoping for/expecting. I may not be quite so determined to pick him and Strika up after all.
But the gray is show-accurate. That's the closest color any Obsidian toy has ever been to his cartoon colors.

Yeah, that's true, I think the blue just looked nicer to me and the gray more bland (even though show accurate). It would be nice if they'd re-release he and Strika in fully show-accurate colors though (the original toys, not these) but I don't think that will ever happen.
For now, thought, the BWR toys are the closest options. :|
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494133)
Posted by xyl360 on June 10th, 2013 @ 12:42pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
xyl360 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
xyl360 wrote:Hmm, he seems a lot more gray and a lot less blue than I was hoping for/expecting. I may not be quite so determined to pick him and Strika up after all.
But the gray is show-accurate. That's the closest color any Obsidian toy has ever been to his cartoon colors.

Yeah, that's true, I think the blue just looked nicer to me and the gray more bland (even though show accurate). It would be nice if they'd re-release he and Strika in fully show-accurate colors though (the original toys, not these) but I don't think that will ever happen.
For now, thought, the BWR toys are the closest options. :|

For Strika (which I have), yeah. I also have one that I custom painted along with 3 Universe Obsidians (which were a nice shade of dark blue).
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494136)
Posted by gothsaurus on June 10th, 2013 @ 12:50pm CDT
hey xyl360.... pics or it never happened. ;) :-?

Seriously, would love to see a pic of the customs you did. It's... well... KINDA pertinent.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494139)
Posted by El Duque on June 10th, 2013 @ 12:53pm CDT
BotCon has tweeted production sample images of Megaplex from this year's convention exclusive Machine Wars: Termination box set. The figure is a straight repaint of the Skyquake/Dreadwing Voyager mold from the Transformers Prime Robots in Disguise line. Check him out in the mirrored images below.

Image

Image
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494147)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 10th, 2013 @ 1:09pm CDT
Looking at this newer image of Megaplex, I actually like it much more than I previously had.

So far, Skywarp is the only one I don't like out of this set.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494150)
Posted by gothsaurus on June 10th, 2013 @ 1:16pm CDT
Yeah, Skywarp seems like a good homage to the original Machine Wars one... but didn't really stand out. That makes me really glad the added the gimmick of the warp to it. Seemed like it needed a cherry-on-top to make it fun. Glad they added that lagniappe. (look it up! It's a great word.) ;)
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494152)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 10th, 2013 @ 1:22pm CDT
Knowing that he isn't going to be the exact same guy as the 1997 Megaplex helps me get passed the lack of a Megatron head.

Regardless, still looks really good as a figure.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494158)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 10th, 2013 @ 1:42pm CDT
Also, this particular Tweet seems very mysterious - https://twitter.com/BotCon/status/344110441900953600
Megaplex and his clone army will look very sharp displayed together. Megaplex, Skywarp, XXXX and XXXX all will be revealed at #BotCon2013
We know one of those is Thundercracker, but the other one is new.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494161)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 10th, 2013 @ 1:51pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Also, this particular Tweet seems very mysterious - https://twitter.com/BotCon/status/344110441900953600
Megaplex and his clone army will look very sharp displayed together. Megaplex, Skywarp, XXXX and XXXX all will be revealed at #BotCon2013
We know one of those is Thundercracker, but the other one is new.


Has to be (based on) BWII Dirge. Or maybe RiD Skyfire?
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494163)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 10th, 2013 @ 2:04pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:Also, this particular Tweet seems very mysterious - https://twitter.com/BotCon/status/344110441900953600
Megaplex and his clone army will look very sharp displayed together. Megaplex, Skywarp, XXXX and XXXX all will be revealed at #BotCon2013
We know one of those is Thundercracker, but the other one is new.


Has to be (based on) BWII Dirge. Or maybe RiD Skyfire?
Unless it's a different body-type since both Megaplex and Skywarp/Thundercracker are clones yet have different body-types. ;)
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494167)
Posted by Superwheeljack on June 10th, 2013 @ 2:26pm CDT
I'm getting Megaplex because I didn't get Dreadwing nor his bro.
I swear, no store withing 50-70 miles from my house had him.
The paint looks blah on this figure. Time for customizing
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494182)
Posted by Windsweeper on June 10th, 2013 @ 3:02pm CDT
Anyone else think this would look good repainted as G1 Thunderwing?
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494184)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 10th, 2013 @ 3:03pm CDT
Windsweeper wrote:Anyone else think this would look good repainted as G1 Thunderwing?


Ehhh, maybe. But we already have a Classics Thunderwing in the form of Generations Thunderwing. ;)
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494190)
Posted by gothsaurus on June 10th, 2013 @ 3:45pm CDT
We do have a deluxe Thunderwing. (read "deluxe" as "deal-breaker size class") :-?
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494208)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 10th, 2013 @ 4:59pm CDT
NOTE: This is NOT from the comic, just a fun pic I found:

Image
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494210)
Posted by Va'al on June 10th, 2013 @ 5:02pm CDT
Nice echo of Milne's Megatron: Origin, there! :D

Is it Burcham's art, or someone emulating him?

EDIT: It is Burcham, just saw the signature on the last panel. The image seems to be titled MWPrequel. Are you sure it's not going to be part of the comic?
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494211)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 10th, 2013 @ 5:05pm CDT
Va'al wrote:Nice echo of Milne's Megatron: Origin, there! :D

Is it Burcham's art, or someone emulating him?
I dunno. The person who posted it (also for fun) didn't say. :oops:
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494215)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 10th, 2013 @ 5:17pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
Va'al wrote:Nice echo of Milne's Megatron: Origin, there! :D

Is it Burcham's art, or someone emulating him?
I dunno. The person who posted it (also for fun) didn't say. :oops:


Well, it would explain why his head isn't Megatron-y. :lol:
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494216)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 10th, 2013 @ 5:17pm CDT
Va'al wrote:Nice echo of Milne's Megatron: Origin, there! :D

Is it Burcham's art, or someone emulating him?

EDIT: It is Burcham, just saw the signature on the last panel. The image seems to be titled MWPrequel. Are you sure it's not going to be part of the comic?


Well played FunPub. Well played.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494219)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 10th, 2013 @ 5:26pm CDT
Va'al wrote:EDIT: It is Burcham, just saw the signature on the last panel. The image seems to be titled MWPrequel. Are you sure it's not going to be part of the comic?
That's what the guy who posted it said.

Unless he was trying to throw us off. ;)

Either way, I'll make no assumptions until official confirmation says one or the other.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494230)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 10th, 2013 @ 6:18pm CDT
SNAP!

I didn't realize it at the time because he was using a screenname, but the person who posted the pic originally was Josh Burcham himself.

But, as I said, it's just a pic made for fun, rather than official.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494232)
Posted by Henry921 on June 10th, 2013 @ 6:25pm CDT
Mindmaster wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Va'al wrote:Nice echo of Milne's Megatron: Origin, there! :D

Is it Burcham's art, or someone emulating him?
I dunno. The person who posted it (also for fun) didn't say. :oops:


Well, it would explain why his head isn't Megatron-y. :lol:



This production sample makes the head look more Megatron-y than ever. I still see Dreadwing when I look at this guy, but he looks more like an original character than he did during the first reveal.

Much as I hate to admit it, Megaplex is starting to appeal to me...
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494243)
Posted by Tranzilla on June 10th, 2013 @ 7:58pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:Also, this particular Tweet seems very mysterious - https://twitter.com/BotCon/status/344110441900953600
Megaplex and his clone army will look very sharp displayed together. Megaplex, Skywarp, XXXX and XXXX all will be revealed at #BotCon2013
We know one of those is Thundercracker, but the other one is new.



I'm hoping for Thundercracker and a Dirge in Waspy colors from that mold.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494297)
Posted by xyl360 on June 11th, 2013 @ 3:59am CDT
gothsaurus wrote:hey xyl360.... pics or it never happened. ;) :-?

Seriously, would love to see a pic of the customs you did. It's... well... KINDA pertinent.

Here you go:
Image
Image
Sorry the camera on my phone kinda sucks, but it's all I got.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494346)
Posted by rockman_fan on June 11th, 2013 @ 9:23am CDT
hmm... really needs more paint in robot mode.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494356)
Posted by gothsaurus on June 11th, 2013 @ 10:13am CDT
Having trouble telling what changes you've made (probably the camera phone) — though it seems shinier, for sure. I can see some extra silver trim, I think. (?) Any hints?

:grin:
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494362)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 11th, 2013 @ 10:20am CDT
gothsaurus wrote:Having trouble telling what changes you've made (probably the camera phone) — though it seems shinier, for sure. I can see some extra silver trim, I think. (?) Any hints?

:grin:


He added the purple. The chest piece is of the original Beast Machines toy. The Japanese version retained the retooling done for Universe Nemesis Strika, which added an :CON:
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494364)
Posted by xyl360 on June 11th, 2013 @ 10:23am CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
gothsaurus wrote:Having trouble telling what changes you've made (probably the camera phone) — though it seems shinier, for sure. I can see some extra silver trim, I think. (?) Any hints?

:grin:


He added the purple. The chest piece is of the original Beast Machines toy. The Japanese version retained the retooling done for Universe Nemesis Strika, which added an :CON:

Bingo :)!

I purpled her up, that's all :). Not one of my most extensive customs/repaints, but she works well enough for my purposes.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494365)
Posted by gothsaurus on June 11th, 2013 @ 10:26am CDT
Yeah, that shade of purple does look really nice. :D
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494406)
Posted by Va'al on June 11th, 2013 @ 1:27pm CDT
Courtesy of the BotCon Twitter account, we have production sample images of the final figure from this year's convention exclusive Machine Wars: Termination box set: Hoist. Check out the mirrored images below!

Image

Image
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494407)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 11th, 2013 @ 1:31pm CDT
FunPub, you're not fooling anyone: it's Electro painted black. But I still like him. :)
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494408)
Posted by gothsaurus on June 11th, 2013 @ 1:37pm CDT
Okay, if we don't see a gold repaint of this, I'll be really disgruntled. >:oP
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494420)
Posted by rpetras on June 11th, 2013 @ 2:29pm CDT
Too bad.

This makes a better Trailbreaker than the upcoming Trailcutter.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494423)
Posted by Mkall on June 11th, 2013 @ 2:47pm CDT
DIfferent head than what we saw previously. I'm not sure I like it better though. come on Electro repaint!
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494424)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 11th, 2013 @ 2:51pm CDT
Two eyes instead of a visor. Weird.

And, inb4 "He should have been the Cybertron Armorhide/BotCon Huffer or Movie Longarm/ROTF Hoist mold" complaints, TOO BAD! Neither of those molds were readily available for Fun Pub to use! The Unicron Trilogy molds are old and worn out, and Paramount holds part of the license to Movie Longarm's mold. Fun Pub couldn't use either at their leisure, so this is what they had available to work with. Don't like it? Fine. But, don't like cuz it's not what you wanted? DEAL WITH IT!

No one's even forcing you to get/keep this guy. Sell him off to someone who wants him if you feel so inclined.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494426)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 11th, 2013 @ 2:57pm CDT
Obvious Electro is obvious.

I like this head better than the preproduction, photoshopped one.

Like I said before, because of the recent production samples, I'm more inclined to like the set. Skywarp still needs a better mold, though. >:oP
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494427)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 11th, 2013 @ 2:57pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:And, inb4 "He should have been the Cybertron Armorhide/BotCon Huffer or Movie Longarm/ROTF Hoist mold" complaints, TOO BAD! Neither of those molds were readily available for Fun Pub to use! The Unicron Trilogy molds are old and worn out, and Paramount holds part of the license to Movie Longarm's mold. Fun Pub couldn't use either at their expensive, so this is what they had available to work with. Don't like it? Fine. But, don't like cuz it's not what you wanted? DEAL WITH IT!

No one's even forcing you to get/keep this guy. Sell him off to someone who wants him if you feel so inclined.


Whoa, somebody got off the wrong side of the bed. :shock:
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494428)
Posted by gothsaurus on June 11th, 2013 @ 3:01pm CDT
Curious to see if a head swap is possible. Might buy an extra and Trailbreaker-cize him. LOL.

Still, looks good. Can't complain about a black Botcon figure or a nice head sculpt... or a G2 Electro repaint, which I'm sure we can bank on. (plus maybe that yellow dude... uh.... Hubcap... and/or Tow Line, who could go on a shelf with the TFCC Side Burn and SkyByte.) I'm thinking this mold will turn out to be a good choice for the convention.

All things considered, I'll be really disappointed if we don't see a Mirage and Prowl. That's an underused mold and would be some decent looking figures. They could even throw out an insane G2 version as well, ha ha ha. :DANCE:
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494430)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on June 11th, 2013 @ 3:02pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:And, inb4 "He should have been the Cybertron Armorhide/BotCon Huffer or Movie Longarm/ROTF Hoist mold" complaints, TOO BAD! Neither of those molds were readily available for Fun Pub to use! The Unicron Trilogy molds are old and worn out, and Paramount holds part of the license to Movie Longarm's mold. Fun Pub couldn't use either at their expensive, so this is what they had available to work with. Don't like it? Fine. But, don't like cuz it's not what you wanted? DEAL WITH IT!

No one's even forcing you to get/keep this guy. Sell him off to someone who wants him if you feel so inclined.


Whoa, somebody got off the wrong side of the bed. :shock:

Agreed. Now I actually do feel like bitching about this guy not having the right head.

But I can't, because it reminds me of how Soundwave's noggin was drawn in Marvel U.S. #10, an issue with a special place in my heart. Oh, and non-GPS Electro repaint FTW! C'mon 3rd party light-up sword upgrade!
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494431)
Posted by gothsaurus on June 11th, 2013 @ 3:06pm CDT
*buys set... leaves Skywarp and movie bots in vehicle mode*
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494433)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on June 11th, 2013 @ 3:11pm CDT
I think this one actually looks better in final production mode.

Also, I don't know who Electro is...
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494435)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 11th, 2013 @ 3:13pm CDT
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494437)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 11th, 2013 @ 3:18pm CDT
DecepticonFinishline wrote:I think this one actually looks better in final production mode.

Also, I don't know who Electro is...


Electro is a so-called Laser Rod, figures with LED-lit swords released during Generation 2 in 1994. They were quite articulated for their time, they even had a turning waist with a rubber band, similar to G.I. Joe figures. Electro is quite notorious for having Gold Plastic Syndrome, becoming very brittle over time. He could be the poster child along with the golden G2 Slingshot :lol:

Electro was a pickup with the subgroup's trademark engine on the hood, hence the choice of Generations Sergeant Kup, while the head has features of Electro's (overal shape) and Machine Wars Hoist (circles in the head crest). Don't count on the BotCon one getting a sword, though I will be very pleasantly surprised if he did.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494439)
Posted by gothsaurus on June 11th, 2013 @ 3:20pm CDT
Wow. I don't remember my Electro breaking. Guess I might want to leave that dude in the rubbermaid container where he's resting currently.
Re: Botcon 2013 "Machine Wars: Termination" Obsidian Production Sample (1494458)
Posted by El Duque on June 11th, 2013 @ 4:36pm CDT
The official BotCon facebook page has shared a group shot of all five production samples from this year's convention exclusive "Machine Wars: Termination" box set. The set features Hoist, Skywarp, Megaplex, Obsidian, and Stika. Also a quick reminder, BotCon 2013 registration ends tonight at midnight ET. Check out the image below.

Hello all,

Registration will close midnight eastern time tonight! After tonight, you will need to come to late registration at the Town and Country Resort, Friday, June 28th, at 9:30 am to get a BotCon package.

If you still need to register, time is running out. Please go to BotCon.com and click on register.

General Admission tickets are available at the door only.

It's going to be a fantastic time in San Diego!

See you at BotCon!


Image

Click here to view an additional 49 comments about this topic at the Energon Pub Forums ...

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #102 - Hidden Mickeys
Twincast / Podcast #102:
"Hidden Mickeys"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, October 5th, 2014