BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out

Transformers News: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 5:16PM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Event News
Posted by: LOST Cybertronian   Views: 16,251

For those of you interested in the BotCon 2013 Rainmakers souvenir set, it looks like the first set to sell out at the show. This info was tweeted by BotCon yesterday. They also added that it was the largest run ever done for a BotCon souvenir item.

Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Revealed: Sunstorm, Bitstream and Hotlink

Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Revealed: Sunstorm, Bitstream and Hotlink
Credit(s): BotCon

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499644)
Posted by dedcat on June 30th, 2013 @ 5:21pm CDT
Give it a year and this set will be going for $60 to $80 on ebay.
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499660)
Posted by ArmadaPrime on June 30th, 2013 @ 5:49pm CDT
You know, hasbro might aswell make a line that's just repaints of the classics seeker mold. They'll still go like hotcakes.
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499661)
Posted by mooncake623 on June 30th, 2013 @ 5:51pm CDT
dedcat wrote:Give it a year and this set will be going for $60 to $80 on ebay.

What make you say that?
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499662)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on June 30th, 2013 @ 5:58pm CDT
dedcat wrote:Give it a year and this set will be going for $60 to $80 on ebay.

I agree, they're the same, the only difference is the plastic color they're cast in. They practically look like knock-offs; they're so poorly detailed and bland. #-o
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499664)
Posted by Flashwave on June 30th, 2013 @ 6:03pm CDT
You know, I think FunPub coulda done a full size mainline run of these things and be sold out, I'd almost guarentee that if they had ANYTHING left over they could burn through it online in a week...
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499666)
Posted by Noideaforaname on June 30th, 2013 @ 6:06pm CDT
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499667)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on June 30th, 2013 @ 6:08pm CDT
SW's SilverHammer wrote:
dedcat wrote:Give it a year and this set will be going for $60 to $80 on ebay.

I think the main reason they look like KOs is that we've gotten used to the fact that CHMS beat HasTak to the punch on this years ago. If bland and undetailed makes them more show-accurate, then that's the right way to go.
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499668)
Posted by Mindmaster on June 30th, 2013 @ 6:09pm CDT
Noideaforaname wrote:It's funny how nobody ever seems to want repaints, unless it's the Seekers, in which case they want infinity of them.

Traditionally, the Seekers were the Vehicons of Generation One. So in a way, it's alright that Starscream be repainted over and over, because that's one of the norms of Transformers: there's always lookalikes of Starscream. Plus, despite the wings getting in the way of the null-rays, the Classics Seeker mold is pretty cool. 8)
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499669)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on June 30th, 2013 @ 6:10pm CDT
I just shelled out $175 + $10 shipping for the set on eBay. If you really want these, now is the time to strike, not later.
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499678)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on June 30th, 2013 @ 6:56pm CDT
Bumblevivisector wrote:
SW's SilverHammer wrote:
dedcat wrote:Give it a year and this set will be going for $60 to $80 on ebay.

Then can the club give us these
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499681)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on June 30th, 2013 @ 7:05pm CDT
I preordered from BBTS. I guess there's a chance these will turn out to be worthless later on, but isn't that the story with any TF? I think these have a better chance of staying relevant than the original characters FP puts out at times and they're unlikely to be released by Hasbro or Takara at any point. I think Sunstorm will probably retain some value over time, at least.

I have the CHMS KOs already, but like jello, there's always room for more! Seekers are really fun army builders because each deco can be it's own legitimate character, unlike Sweeps who are all the same. But, unlike the KOs, these will probably be just as fun to transform as the other official Seekers. Getting the hand out of the arm is a problem with every single KO Seeker I own except the Rainmakers ... whose plastic feels light and cheap. Hm.

I have a ton of Seekers and would actually love to see Actionmaster / Pretender Starscream done one day. The toy deco just morphed into a unique colour scheme I'd love to see replicated. Out of the above shots the monochrome Seeker Is really appealing.

Edit: I'll concede that these guy are pretty bland, though. If they were going for 100% toon accuracy, they should have made them 100% toon accurate. Although I think the idea was to make these guys look more like a unit (where does that black arm colour come from, then?). Barring that, shades of colour would have done well.

Still, even while bland, it's nice to see my Seeker army grow.
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499710)
Posted by dedcat on June 30th, 2013 @ 8:35pm CDT
mooncake623 wrote:
dedcat wrote:Give it a year and this set will be going for $60 to $80 on ebay.

What make you say that?

Put simply, market saturation. They made a lot of these sets and most of the folks who want em already got em. Once that flavor of the week luster wears off, its just 3 more versions of a toy most of us already have at least 6 versions of.

They will never be cheap, but there's no way they'll stay at the $190+ mark.
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499715)
Posted by Metrosuplex on June 30th, 2013 @ 9:04pm CDT
If Hasbro is hurting for money, why not print more of these for regular retail? From what I understand, the mold has already been engineered, so the only costs are manufacturing, packaging, and shipping.

Help me out here, guys: Is it better to release a set like this in LIMITED quantities at a con? Or to mass-produce them and sell as many as you can (before interest dies off)?

Maybe Hasbro is keeping this mold as a "Get-out-of-Bankruptcy-Free" card? :roll: Meaning, I can stand to skip on this over-priced trio: more are surely on the way. :MR-T:
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499720)
Posted by mooncake623 on June 30th, 2013 @ 9:38pm CDT
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499724)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on June 30th, 2013 @ 10:16pm CDT
mooncake623 wrote:I think thhese will look great holding a Nullray. they shoudl of included extras with a hose maybe?
Yeah, they make a point of including the guy firing the flamethrower, but don't make his iconic weapon...could Hasbro have ordered FunPub to lay out some sort of cunning legal trap for any 3rd party company who dares make it before they release the official version next year?!?

Or are they just content to keep milking the mold and only splurge on repairing it when necessary, rather than new accessories? Really hoping it's the latter, since they'll never run out of seeker color schemes. Maybe next year it'll be the three guarding Shockwave's lab in The Ultimate Doom; that would mean a lovely pine-green-hued guy who's also not Acid Storm. My supply of cheap KOs of this mold to repaint into new guys seems to have dried up, so just let this mold remain the Botcon troop-builder from now on! Market saturation fires imagination!
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499736)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on June 30th, 2013 @ 11:32pm CDT
Apparently making new moulds is the most expensive part of the whole exclusive toy enterprise and, seeing as how expensive these are already, I'd rather just leave that to whoever in the 3rd party scene picks up the ball for that.

We'll see if people get sick of the Seeker mould by next year. Between official stuff and KOs (and two of these guys are already available via KOs) a lot of people have a large Seeker army already ... and these sold out even so. So the game's on! The seekers are plenty popular, so I kinda think these will hold water for a while longer, but we'll see, I suppose.
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499740)
Posted by YoungPrime on June 30th, 2013 @ 11:58pm CDT
Yeah, middle finger to Hasbro for not thinking that these would do well at retail....

Ya screwed us again...
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499749)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on July 1st, 2013 @ 12:16am CDT
Well... They'd need to jazz up the colour scheme a lot for me to believe this would do well at retail. Especially since Acid Storm was a real pegwarmer.

Anyway, FunPub is FunPub and Hasbro is Hasbro. I don't think Hasbro feels like their thunder is stolen by FunPub. Ever. Remember the Games of Deception Seekers?
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499764)
Posted by RhA on July 1st, 2013 @ 1:37am CDT
This set seems to be designed specifically to piss me off.
Re: BotCon 2013 Rainmakers Set Sold Out (1499772)
Posted by Henry921 on July 1st, 2013 @ 2:35am CDT
I got mine off the second run at TFsource for $139.95. They sold out less than an hour after I placed my order. FunPub made 2500 of these, 500 more than any other set at the convention. Clearly, people want these.

Anyone who attended BotCon able to tell us what rate FunPub sold them at?