BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed

Transformers News: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed

Friday, February 28th, 2014 8:34PM CST

Categories: Toy News, Event News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 23,526

Transformers News: Re: BotCon 2014 (Pasadena, CA) Discussion: Toys and Events

The official BotCon 2014 website has revealed the faction breakdown in this year's Pirates vs. Knights boxset. The set will feature three pirates and two knights, so far know the identity of one of the pirates, their captain Cannonball. The convention attendee only add-on sets will of course add to both of their ranks. BotCon takes place June 19th - 22nd in Pasadena, CA.

Transformers News: Re: BotCon 2014 (Pasadena, CA) Discussion: Toys and Events
Credit(s): BotCon
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554280)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 28th, 2014 @ 8:38pm CST
Reposting this due it relevance:
Sabrblade wrote:So then the souvenirs and attendee figure must consist of the remaining 2 pirates, the remaining 3 knights, and the rogue Decepticon (not necessarily in that order, though).
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554296)
Posted by PrymeStriker on February 28th, 2014 @ 10:16pm CST
Hehehehehehhee.

Staaaaaaaaar Seeeeekkerrrrssssss.... :KREMZEEK: =P~
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554298)
Posted by Henry921 on February 28th, 2014 @ 10:20pm CST
Even money the rogue Decepticon will be the attendee freebie.

Then we'll see one voyager knight vs one deluxe pirate, and one deluxe pirate vs one deluxe knight, and then an army builder pack of pirates.
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554301)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 28th, 2014 @ 10:47pm CST
PrymeStriker wrote:Hehehehehehhee.

Staaaaaaaaar Seeeeekkerrrrssssss.... :KREMZEEK: =P~
And? :???:
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554306)
Posted by PrymeStriker on February 28th, 2014 @ 11:06pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
PrymeStriker wrote:Hehehehehehhee.

Staaaaaaaaar Seeeeekkerrrrssssss.... :KREMZEEK: =P~
And? :???:

There's a 3-2 ratio in favor of the Star Seekers in this set.

The awesomeness speaks for itself.
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554309)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 28th, 2014 @ 11:15pm CST
PrymeStriker wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
PrymeStriker wrote:Hehehehehehhee.

Staaaaaaaaar Seeeeekkerrrrssssss.... :KREMZEEK: =P~
And? :???:

There's a 3-2 ratio in favor of the Star Seekers in this set.

The awesomeness speaks for itself.
Though, the overall ratio in the whole of the exclusives will still be an even 5:5.
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554310)
Posted by PrymeStriker on February 28th, 2014 @ 11:17pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
PrymeStriker wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
PrymeStriker wrote:Hehehehehehhee.

Staaaaaaaaar Seeeeekkerrrrssssss.... :KREMZEEK: =P~
And? :???:

There's a 3-2 ratio in favor of the Star Seekers in this set.

The awesomeness speaks for itself.

Aren't there Star Seeker army builders? I think they should outnumber the knights effectively. Unless there are knight army builders I missed.
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554312)
Posted by Mkall on February 28th, 2014 @ 11:20pm CST
Come on and show us some figures! This set has awesome written all over it!
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554313)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 28th, 2014 @ 11:21pm CST
PrymeStriker wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
PrymeStriker wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
PrymeStriker wrote:Hehehehehehhee.

Staaaaaaaaar Seeeeekkerrrrssssss.... :KREMZEEK: =P~
And? :???:

There's a 3-2 ratio in favor of the Star Seekers in this set.

The awesomeness speaks for itself.

True. Maybe the "5 pirates vs. 5 knights" thing counted the pirate army-builders as a single pirate toy just repeated. Or maybe it just discounted the pirate army-builders.

Either way, still kind of a letdown that, aside from Cannonball, these probably won't be "pirates" so much as "Squadron X members repurposed as pirates". :|
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554326)
Posted by Henry921 on March 1st, 2014 @ 2:25am CST
Sabrblade wrote:

Actually, that's a selling point for me, in a set I'm otherwise not too interested in. I do love having obscure Decepticons to add to my ranks of CHUG figures...
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554339)
Posted by zatara1701 on March 1st, 2014 @ 7:14am CST
Random thought of the day....

The other day there was a post about "ROM the Space Knight" being acquired and potentially used by Hasbro in Transformers...

When I read that I immediately thought about Botcon Pirates vs. Knights :-?

I will not be surprised if THE robot knight of all robot knights ends up in the set... I would be interested to see what mold gets used if they do.
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554348)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 1st, 2014 @ 7:48am CST
zatara1701 wrote:Random thought of the day....

When I read that I immediately thought about Botcon Pirates vs. Knights :-?

The ROM news was regarding IDW's potential use of him. For Fun Pub to use him so soon might feel like an unfair intrusion upon anything IDW's planning down the road.
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554358)
Posted by zatara1701 on March 1st, 2014 @ 8:16am CST
Sabrblade wrote:
zatara1701 wrote:Random thought of the day....

When I read that I immediately thought about Botcon Pirates vs. Knights :-?

I will not be surprised if THE robot knight of all robot knights[/color] ends up in the set... I would be interested to see what mold gets used if they do.

But it also mention Hasbro having secured rights for toys also...

"So, there are currently three trademarks Hasbro has applied for. The first is for comic books and was granted in April 2013. They've already used the first of their five possible extensions to use it in commerce (i.e. publish a ROM comic book). Extensions are required every six months if Hasbro doesn't have proof of use. Five extensions give them three years to do so.

The second trademark is for "toy action figures and toy robots convertible into other visual toy forms," which leads to the already existing rumor that Hasbro is going to make Rom part of the Transformers toy line. It, too, was granted in April 2013 and has had one extension filed against it.[/color]

The final trademark is for "entertainment services, namely an on-going animated television series for children." This one was only granted in June 2013 and, because I've gotten lazy, is new to me. It would seem to contradict Hasbro making Rom part of the Transformers, unless such a TV series would be a spin-off of Transformers: Prime or something. The first extension was just granted last month."

No matter what, Rom was a favorite along with Iron Man before our favorite robots hit our shores... I will be happy just seeing old toaster head again... :grin:
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554361)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 1st, 2014 @ 8:23am CST

ROM has a better chance of success with IDW than he does with Fun Pub (especially since any BotCon toy of him would just be a redeco/remold on an existing toy instead of ROM getting a unique, super special extra sweet mold of his own :D ).
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554377)
Posted by zatara1701 on March 1st, 2014 @ 10:28am CST
Sabrblade wrote:Yes, but wouldn't you rather see ROM in something more mainstream and available to everybody like with IDW, instead of in something that only the special folks who can afford to go the BotCon could get a hold of?

Oh I agree completely!! I was just saying my brain linked the two (Botcon and ROM) when I saw the ROM story :grin: He is after all THE Space Knight...

No we can speculate what alt mode he would have :lol:

I am still interested to see what they bring out for the knights... Pirates are cool, but SOOOOOOoooo burned out on them!!! :HEADHURTS: Maybe it's because my 5yr old makes me endure Jake and the Neverland Pirates... Plus I am kinda disappointed Thundertron seems to be out of the mix. :sad: Maybe some of the swabbies can be Jack Sparrow-ish remold of the Dredds LOL
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554430)
Posted by cor2879 on March 1st, 2014 @ 7:13pm CST
Hal Rayle was at Charticon. He did a lot more voices than just G1 Snarl by the way. He's a total class act.
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554436)
Posted by Rated X on March 1st, 2014 @ 7:39pm CST
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554583)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on March 2nd, 2014 @ 2:37pm CST
Rated X wrote:So glad Im skipping this year. If I like any of the figures Ill get em off ebay. I wish they would get rid of "themes" altogether and just do obvious filler sets like 2007 and 2009.

Only to have Hasbro release general retail version a couple years later? The only satisfaction one could get out of "filler sets" is the fact they have exclusive (and expensive) bragging rights for only a few years. :roll:
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554698)
Posted by Dagon on March 3rd, 2014 @ 9:20am CST
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:

I know what you're talking about here, but that's not even kind of correct. I own the Botcon 2007 Seekers and the general releases of Thundercraker, Thrust and Dirge, as well as had owned the Henkei TC for a while as well, and I am satisfied with all of them on a personal level, regardless of bragging rights or whatnot. The existence of the mass retail Seekers in no way diminishes my enjoyment of the Botcon ones; in fact the Botcon ones are the ones that are special to me.
I don't think that they lost any degree of specialness when the retail ones were released. I do know that some of the fandom does think that way, so save yourself the trouble of needlessly pointing that out for me, but I think it's foolish to think that the fandom as a whole lost any positive feelings for the '07 set when the retail figures were released.

I also am growing tired of theme sets. I don't think the fiction attached to them is really anything to get excited over most of the time, and I'd prefer filler sets over most of the stuff from the Animated Stunticon set until this one, honestly.
Re: BotCon 2014 Pirates vs. Knights Boxset Faction Breakdown Revealed (1554797)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 3rd, 2014 @ 7:18pm CST

Official website reveal of Cannonball (as opposed to the early reveal from the magazine and from Twitter).

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #145 - May Mayhem