BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?"

Transformers News: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?"

Thursday, February 6th, 2014 8:57AM CST

Categories: Event News, Collector's Club News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 13,885

The Official BotCon Twitter feed just posted a rather cryptic message and image, both of which we've mirrored below. This year's theme is Pirates vs. Knights, so just who is this organic called Squirm? Check him out below.

The BotCon 2014 is taking place in Pasadena on 19th-22nd June.

So the question is... Who is Squirm? #PVK

Every Captain needs a crew... #PVK

Transformers News: Re: BotCon 2014 Officially Confirmed for Pasadena, CA - Website Up
Credit(s): BotCon

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548310)
Posted by gothsaurus on February 6th, 2014 @ 9:15am CST
Have to say, the art is really nicely done. I'd say that bodes well for the comic and tech specs.
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548312)
Posted by Tranzilla on February 6th, 2014 @ 9:31am CST
Squirm looks a bit like the Ben10 character Jury Rigg.

I'm calling it now...

Cannonball will be utilizing the Silas Breakdown mold with Squirm being the "organic" in place of Silas (slight remold).

Again, I would love to see recolors of the Cyberbeasts Dirgegun, Maxbee, Hellscream, and Thrust-or/-ol as his crew.

Would be a pretty nifty idea.
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548316)
Posted by xRotorstormx on February 6th, 2014 @ 9:40am CST
He kinda reminds me of a creepier elf version of Doctor Arkeville... :lol:
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548318)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on February 6th, 2014 @ 9:41am CST
Tranzilla wrote:I'm calling it now...

Tying in with the "Dread Pirate Roberts" theme... Genius!
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548330)
Posted by Rated X on February 6th, 2014 @ 10:15am CST
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548332)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on February 6th, 2014 @ 10:25am CST
Rated X wrote:If pirates and knights arent bad enough, now they have to throw organic characters in the mix. The one thing that made funpub comics cool was the lack of humans.

Cheap Shots had Muzzle, Quig, Lug, and Minerva, the first three being (former) binairy-bonded partners to Nightbeat, Siren and Hosehead. And Minerva appeared as a full-blown woman.
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548336)
Posted by Banjo-Tron on February 6th, 2014 @ 10:39am CST
More importantly, who cares. Dreadful theme! At least the eBay scalpers won't get any of my monies this year...
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548337)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 6th, 2014 @ 10:41am CST
I hope he's not human. Really really hope he's some inhuman creature. :-B

Banjo-Tron wrote:More importantly, who cares. Dreadful theme!
I see what you did there. ;)
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548341)
Posted by PrymeStriker on February 6th, 2014 @ 10:52am CST
Is it just me, or is this "Squirm" guy share a striking resemblance to Jak during Jak 3?

Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548425)
Posted by Deadput on February 6th, 2014 @ 3:07pm CST

I bet some of you will change your minds once you see them.

And the rest of you?

well...only oneself can change their own mind.

they are like sub factions! but even then that's just the theme we don't know what their group names (or individual names) are

I bet the pirates are Star Seekers.

I don't want to say the knights are those guys from IDW but I can't think of anything else.
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548431)
Posted by xRotorstormx on February 6th, 2014 @ 3:25pm CST
mirageandjazz1197 wrote:Wow.....you guys are so childish complaining over Pirates and Knights when we have not even see them yet

I bet some of you will change your minds once you see them.

And the rest of you?

well...only oneself can change their own mind.

I bet the pirates are Star Seekers.

The theme doesn't strike me and is a strange choice for the 30th anniversary but I agree. We haven't even seen the figures yet so there is no reason to start bashing it. We really know very little about the theme in general. Fun Pub can't make everyone happy and that's a fact. Some people will love it, some will hate it. I'm very curious to see how things progress. Who knows, this may be a great set

I personally have never been to Pasadena so either way I'm looking forward to it.
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548437)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 6th, 2014 @ 3:39pm CST

...even though it is still set in the same world as the 2009, 2010, and 2013 sets, and the 2010-2012 magazine storylines, have been set in: The Wings Universe. ;)

mirageandjazz1197 wrote:I bet the pirates are Star Seekers.
They are, yes. But NOT the same ones as those from the existing fiction, meaning that these ones ought to not have anything to do with Thundertron and such. ;)
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548443)
Posted by njb902 on February 6th, 2014 @ 4:05pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:I love the sound of this theme! It's like Fun Pub is finally, at long last, going back to its roots in doing a set whose theme is true to the spirit of the very first set from 2005. No more of this "G1/G2/MW but new/different/backwards/etc." stuff that we've been getting since 2007. Just a simple concept born out of pure creative fun and imagination.

mirageandjazz1197 wrote:I bet the pirates are Star Seekers.

Why?
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548444)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 6th, 2014 @ 4:09pm CST
njb902 wrote:Why?
Well, unless the Club creates a G1 Thundertron, that is, since this will be set in the Wings Universe (as I noted) instead of the Aligned continuity.
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548491)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 6th, 2014 @ 9:43pm CST
Huh.

So, a guy over at TFW got his TCC magazine issue recently and said it shows what Cannonball's toy looks like.

[spoiler]It's the Prime Robots in Disguise Deluxe Autobot Ratchet mold with a new Cannonball-esque headsculpt.[/spoiler]

He also mentioned that the accompanying text in the magazine contained [spoiler]a log written by Tornado of Squadron X, in which Tornado notes how Cannonball had offered to let them join his crew, but Squadron X "saw a striking difference."[/spoiler]

|:|
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548496)
Posted by njb902 on February 6th, 2014 @ 10:37pm CST
I'm happier and happier with my decision not to go this year. SDCC and NYCC here we come.
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548498)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 6th, 2014 @ 10:44pm CST
Also, Jesse Wittenrich explained the reasoning behind this mold choice for Cannonball over at Allspark.com:

[quote]The very first toy explored for Cannonball was Breakdown. Because on the face of it, it seems perfect.

But after playing around with the transformation, how that related to the deco, the mold layout, and the exaggerated proportions (tiny head is tiny!), it didn't really work. [spoiler]Ratchet[/spoiler] was actually the third option explored, but the robot mode was just perfect for him. Vehicle mode coincidentally became [spoiler]another emergency vehicle[/spoiler] which some fans may like...and others not so much.[/quote]
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548500)
Posted by njb902 on February 6th, 2014 @ 10:47pm CST
I wonder what the second was.
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548501)
Posted by SW's SilverHammer on February 6th, 2014 @ 10:55pm CST
Probably something better.
Re: BotCon 2014 "Who is Squirm?" (1548502)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 6th, 2014 @ 10:56pm CST
I'm thinking either a Bulkhead mold or Beast Hunters Ratchet.

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers DOTM Cyberverse Commander Autobot Guzzle (2011). - Time Remaining: 2 days 13 hours 17 minutes 31 seconds
2005 Hasbro Transformers Alternators Grimlock Ford Mustang GT Complete in Box - Time Remaining: 8 days 8 hours 57 minutes 54 seconds
G1 Transformers Piranacon Figure & Accessory Lot for Parts or Repair - Time Remaining: 1 day 17 hours 27 minutes 47 seconds
2005 Hasbro Transformers Alternators Grimlock Ford Mustang GT with Original Box - Time Remaining: 8 days 8 hours 57 minutes 56 seconds
Lot of 8 TRANSFORMERS Generations HASBRO VARIANTS comics~ Hoist, DARK CYBERTRON - Time Remaining: 9 days 7 hours 16 minutes 43 seconds
Bumblebee Transformers the Ride Autobot Universal Studios 2011 Hasbro - Time Remaining: 2 days 16 hours 40 minutes 38 seconds
MISB in USA - Transformers Takara Legends LG-01 Rattrap Rattle Beast Wars - Time Remaining: 3 days 5 hours 8 minutes 2 seconds
Needlenose 100% Complete Targetmasters 1988 Vintage Hasbro G1 Transformers - Time Remaining: 7 days 15 hours 7 minutes 58 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #153 - Last Knights of Cybertron
"Last Knights of Cybertron"
Posted: Monday, August 15th, 2016