Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images

Transformers News: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images

Friday, August 30th, 2013 8:36AM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Sponsor News, Knock Offs
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 72,105

As many of you know a knock off G1 Scorponok has hit the market, and site sponsor Robotkingdom has provided a quick write up and some comparison images. If you're in the market for a authentic G1 Scorponok you might want to take the time to look over the information below.

Dear customers,

Here are some comparison Photos of the KO Scorpronok.

Without checking the product in personal, it may be difficult to distinguish the difference between original G1 and KO.

Below listed some points that might help to recognize their difference.

1. KO Overall material is a little bit gross while original features plain plastic. KO version material is more like a normal plastic toy material...

2. KO features screw on both sides of the head while original feature pin.

3. KO have Scorpion legs use screws while the original one use pin.

4. Sculpture on Original item is clearer.

5. The eye sculpture of Headrobot is difference.

6. Sculpture on the cannon is different.

7. The sculpture on KO Chromed parts are damaged.

8. Visible bubble on the KO version chest and hip paint job.

Hope these informations are helpful and don’t mistakenly buy KO version as authentic one. Enjoy!

Please email to info@robotkingdom.com for further enquiry.

Robotkingdom Crew

Credit(s): Robotkingdom
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514847)
Posted by Rated X on August 30th, 2013 @ 9:09am CDT
Looks pretty close. Say what you want, but they did an awesome job KOing it. The bottom line is Takara slept on this mold. There must be a market for it. A lot of guys just want one for their man cave and don't really care if it's original. It's not like their friends are going to start looking at the screws and nitpick it over a few beers. It's a retro coffee table ornament at a fraction of the original's cost and it looks good. Just my two cents.
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514863)
Posted by welcometothedarksyde on August 30th, 2013 @ 10:40am CDT
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514878)
Posted by That Bot on August 30th, 2013 @ 12:03pm CDT
Can we not have this discussion twice in one topic, please?
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514879)
Posted by Dead Metal on August 30th, 2013 @ 12:07pm CDT
welcometothedarksyde wrote:I'm all for KO's because HasTak will never reissue a lot of stuff, and it's cheaper, new and in box. However the companies should clearly mark their reissues e.g. having an obviously different copyright logo, and having different logos on the boxes. If they made it identifiable for sure, then it would be completely fine

What the f**k did I just say the other day? And you want to do it again? :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514880)
Posted by gothsaurus on August 30th, 2013 @ 12:12pm CDT
Yeah, it's sad that Hasbro/Takara are so slow to act on these reissues. I'm really glad we got the Takara Fort Max, but it should have been quickly followed up with this guy... and Black Zarak. While I have a vintage one, I'm very seriously considering one of these just to have a clean, crisp one. Most of the visible differences are screws VS pins. That doesn't bother me in the least.
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514882)
Posted by dragons on August 30th, 2013 @ 12:26pm CDT
Glad I bought the original thanks for pointing
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514883)
Posted by gothsaurus on August 30th, 2013 @ 12:30pm CDT
Yeah, it's the pits that there will be an influx of KO parts now. That part truly sucks. #-o
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514889)
Posted by Genocide G2.0 on August 30th, 2013 @ 2:52pm CDT
Who cares this is a 3rdp & kO forum expect this shit if not get over it :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514891)
Posted by xyl360 on August 30th, 2013 @ 2:59pm CDT

I've been hankering for a G1 Scorponok, but I don't think I'm gonna grab one of these. I'm waiting for that monster of a bot they showed off at the Tokyo Toy Show.
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514894)
Posted by Genocide G2.0 on August 30th, 2013 @ 3:11pm CDT
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514897)
Posted by gothsaurus on August 30th, 2013 @ 3:25pm CDT
Yeah, the colors do look just slightly brighter — more comic and cartoon accurate. Interesting. :-?
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514898)
Posted by Autobot032 on August 30th, 2013 @ 3:28pm CDT
Gotta be honest...

I'm impressed.

I definitely like the colors better on the KO. And what slight complaints they do have, I'm fine with. If I had the money, I'd be all over it.
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514899)
Posted by Deathsanras on August 30th, 2013 @ 3:30pm CDT
Autobot Genocide wrote:Any way why is this on the front page! what about all the other shit that gets KO that nobody gives a shit about that goes through the net, i thought seibertron didn't do 3rdp & KO !? 8-} and don't say it's to warn people there's been too much to make fuss about this just cos it's G1.

This is not an article about the latest character that a dozen or so "third party" companies are all determined to make their own different homages of. It says right in the title: "Buyer Beware." It's a consumer warning PSA about a fraudulent counterfeit of a highly desirable and sought after figure that goes for significant amounts of money. It's not intended as "hey, everybody, let's all buy, review and talk about this figure." It's "watch your back, because there are a**holes out there who are looking to scam you, lumping you with a fake after you handed over the going price of a real." Maybe it's not possible to avoid ending up with one when buying through eBay or wherever. But at least with an alert like this, the knowledge spreads and you can perform a quick check and raise a claim against the seller, instead of finding out in 5 years when you try to on-sell it to someone and they raise a fraud claim against you because you didn't know you had a fake.
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514900)
Posted by BeastProwl on August 30th, 2013 @ 3:37pm CDT
Not to mention all those screws and such are probably easy to hide in photos, and for those who buy in/are looking for certain parts are likely to get KO parts.
On the bright side, if the part doesn't really effect the figure at all, buying a KO part could be a good thing, that is, if its not passed along as the genuine article and is treated as such by the seller.
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514913)
Posted by Neurie on August 30th, 2013 @ 6:07pm CDT
There are already counterfeit Black Zaraks, they were on sale at Botcon in European classics packaging :(

Not long till they get unboxed and sold as genuine loose ones or "reissues".
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514914)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on August 30th, 2013 @ 6:08pm CDT
xyl360 wrote:I hate to say it, but I actually like the plastic colors on the KO better. They seem much more vivid (the purple and the green).

Agreed; I like my greens to be GREEN, not chartreuse.

Although...could the original just be yellower because it's suffered photodegredation over the last 26 years? I've seen that happen to more shades of blue than you'd expect: not only the baby blue of Hotspot and Scourge, but even Cobra Commander! Could light green plastics yellow just as easily, but go unnoticed?

If it is yellowing, there's hope that the Takara reissue we'll probably get before too long will have the more vibrant hues of this KO. My God Ginrai reissue had significantly darker gray plastic than my PM Op which had turned yellow, and I assumed it was for that very reason. Or was the original Ginrai always darker? I never got the TRU PM-Op-Apex reissue to compare either.

Sorry, I can't post on this topic without clearly stating that I'm in favor of KOs cuz' there are tons of molds HasTak just can't preserve for economic reasons, I wish relevant laws would be rewritten to allow molds to become public domain if unused for over 20 years or so, there's a global s#!t-storm over I.P. laws a-brewin' as evidenced by the White House's resurrection of SOPA's jailtime-for-streaming clause, so know what side has your interests in mind, yadda-yadda...

...BUT, here's hoping someone posts a guide to differences in this KO's box, as that'll go much further towards preventing hornswaggling.

I'm a little confused as to what the difference is in the chest: the original has a pre-applied sticker that's being left out, or the edges of the orange painted area are sloppier?
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514940)
Posted by MagnetarPrime on August 31st, 2013 @ 12:29am CDT
Now what we all know and are aware of this ko Scorponok being out there. Is anybody in here going to buy it??? >:oP
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1514969)
Posted by xyl360 on August 31st, 2013 @ 10:41am CDT
Bumblevivisector wrote:

Agreed; I like my greens to be GREEN, not chartreuse.

No, it's not color degradation. I had Scorponok as a kid, and his colors are indeed exactly as pictured for the legit version, sickly green and all.
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1515041)
Posted by Zobovor on August 31st, 2013 @ 10:58pm CDT
Seibertron wrote:KOs of any kind are very bad for the long run of this brand. What you guys have failed to mention is what happens when the KOs are passed off as originals, intentionally or mistakenly. That is unfair to unsuspecting collectors who are looking to obtain one of these figures.

Sorry if I'm breaking any etiquette by responding to such an old post. The topic isn't locked down yet, though, so I'm hoping it's still fair game. (My first post here, and I'm arguing with one of the site owners. Hmm. Not going to make too many friends.)

To address the point: Yes, there are folks out there who are selling minty-new G1 knockoffs and trying to pass them off as vintage G1 units. That's a real shame, and they should feel horrible about it. That's not a reason to decry the existence of the knockoffs. Me, I bought up every official Hasbro reissue ever released, and then all the Takara ones never released in America, until they stopped producing them. Now I buy the high-quality third-party stuff because I love getting brand-new G1 Transformers, and the knockoffs are the only game in town. If it weren't for the knockoffs, I'd never have gotten a chance to own "reissues" of Cyclonus, Scourge, Springer, Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, and many more of my favorite toys.

[quote]I've owned every Hasbro G1 Transformers figure since 2007 before the KOs confused the market. I'm very lucky that I know for certainty that everything I own is original because the KOs weren't hitting the market yet. I think it is extremely unfortunate that collectors have to deal with this crap and aren't able to enjoy collecting unadulterated the way that I was able to.[/quote]

Isn't it better to have a choice? Prior to 2007, you only bought official toys because the knockoffs weren't available. I have the official reissues of Rumble and Frenzy, but I don't like that their leg stickers are missing. If I still want to go hunt down the knockoffs so I can have something that's closer to the toys that were part of my childhood experience, why shouldn't I be able to? And what about the knockoffs that have no G1 equivalent? I think the Mirage made almost entirely of clear plastic is one of the most awesome things in the Universe. Finally, what if I want to buy a G1 toy for my little boy? Isn't it a good thing that I can get him a brand-new Swoop (his favorite Dinobot) for around $40 and I don't have to worry about it having been repaired with super glue or being made from brittle 30-year-old plastic?

[quote]It's one thing when you knowingly buy a KO, but when someone sells their collection later down the road and fails to mention that the item was a KO, or when their storage unit goes up for auction because they forgot to make a few payments or, god forbid, they pass away and their loved ones sell their collection, these KOs will inevitably end up being passed off as originals sooner or later.[/quote]

That's like saying that novels or comic books should never be reprinted because somebody, somewhere, might one day accidentally mistake them for a first printing.

[quote]Rationalizing that KOs are a good thing in any manner is a selfish view and a view that fails to see the big problem in the long run. It could also be argued the same about official reissues, but they're quality items and in many cases the reissues retain the value of the originals or even surpass their value in some cases. There is a big difference between a quality official reissue and an unofficial unlicensed counterfeit product that doesn't have to meet certain quality standards.[/quote]

If the unlicensed G1 reissues were complete garbage, though, there would be no market for them and we wouldn't be sitting here talking about it. There have been hundreds of poor-quality G1 knockoffs over the years. I have a fake Mirage in yellow and green whose legs are a single piece of plastic. I have an oversized Darkwing and Dreadwind who can't even combine together because their plastic is so warped. These are not a threat to anyone, except perhaps for underaged children who accidentally find them and believe them to be legitimate playthings.

My point is that the guys producing the knockoffs don't have to adhere to certain standards, but you'd better believe they're producing high-quality stuff. I wouldn't be buying all the ones I can get my hands on if they weren't top notch.

Also, Hasbro conforms to safety regulations to be in compliance with laws that protect little kids. These laws are there for a good reason, but they do not serve collectors. Most of Hasbro's G1 reissues have been inauthentic in some way or another, with preposterously-long missiles or unchromed weapons or even the wrong color schemes. If the goal is to buy a toy that is close to what was available in the 1980's so all of us can be transported back to a simpler time when we were carefree kids, then the knockoffs do a better job of doing that.

[quote]We collectors have a huge responsibility to make sure that future generations of Transformers fans get to enjoy quality Transformers products without having every item run the risk of being a faulty or flawed or counterfeit product. Maybe some of you don't care about this and only care about what you can afford or get your hands on. There is a much bigger picture regarding all of this. I hope that those of you who think that counterfeit products belong in this market will take some time to ponder what items like that do to water down this brand and the enjoyment of collectors in the long run.[/quote]

This paragraph is the real sticking point for me, and what I felt strongly needed to be challenged. I went through the whole rigamarole of signing up for this message board just so I could come here and say this, so I hope everybody listens up.

If you are a collector, it's your responsibility to know what you're buying. It's just like buying a house or buying a car. Yes, there are people out there who will try to screw you over. The realtor might neglect to mention the leaky pipes and mold in the basement. The guy at the used car lot might have cracked open the odometer and won't mention the faulty transmission. If you go ahead and sign on the dotted line anyway, before you've done the research, then it's your own fault for being a foolish consumer.

Well, the same goes for the fake Transformers out there. As a knowledgeable fan, I can tell you that there are differences in EVERY SINGLE one of the high-quality knockoffs when compared to the vintage G1 units. Differences in both the packaging (misspellings, funky fonts) and the toys themselves. Differences that anyone can readily identify if you know what to look for. Yes, you might have to go online and look at some of the sites that help identify the fakes. No, I don't expect you to memorize every single mold difference. The point is that the information is out there and easy to find. People who allow themselves to be deceived, despite all the resources available, have nobody but themselves to blame. I'm sorry, but they don't have my sympathy.

As for "watering down the brand" and ruining the "enjoyment of collectors," I can only speak for myself, but I'm the biggest G1 fan I know, and I still get a tremendous amount of enjoyment from the high-quality knockoffs. I'm not under any delusions that they're the real thing, but they're so close to the real thing that it hardly matters to me. They're real enough to go on my display shelf and collect dust, but they're inexpensive enough that I don't panic if my five-year-old boy wants to play with them sometimes.

What's funny is that people get all up in arms over what's official and what's not. Tomorrow, Takara could buy out the company making all these high-quality knockoffs, and suddenly they'd be official. The day before BotCon 2014, Hasbro could cancel their partnership with Fun Publications, and suddenly all the convention exclusive toys in their possession would be unlicensed. I'm not saying this is likely to happen, but it illustrates that the only difference between what's officially-sanctioned and what's not is what a few guys in business suits happen to think at any given moment.

If Hasbro and Takara recognized that there was still a tremendous market for G1 reissues and continued to produce them, I'd be buying the official toys. They're not producing them, though. If I want a minty-fresh reissue of Octane or Gnaw for my display shelf, then I have to go with the knockoff because it's my only option. I'm a consumer and I have disposable income to spend. I still buy official toys when they grab my interest, but the knockoff guys must want my money more than Hasbro and Takara do, because they're the ones producing toys that I want to spend most of my money on!

(Sorry, I don't have some gigantic image to use as a signature. I'm accustomed to Usenet where we use words to get our points across.)

Zob
Re: Buyer Beware: Counterfeit G1 Scorponok - Comparison Images (1515064)
Posted by MagnetarPrime on September 1st, 2013 @ 7:42am CDT
I guess nobody can buy this anymore, it shows now a message :
sorry.sales has been overdue.

lol? :-? :???: :???: did it sold out or they just canceled production?

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #145 - May Mayhem