Transformers News: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers

Monday, November 8th, 2010 6:44AM CST

Categories: Toy News, Knock Offs
Posted by: DevastaTTor   Views: 68,437

Seibertron.com member Scaleface has posted a warning to Transformers collectors that there is a new supply of very accurate knock-offs entering the market of Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and BotCon clear Mirage along with other versions of Henkei Thundercracker, Skywarp, and Mirage. To add to the deception, all of these figures come in packaging that is nearly identical to that of recent Henkei releases. From the original post:

Scaleface wrote:Whereas most Henkei/Classics KOs are obviously KOs, I thought I might warn people that some company has started to product replica Henkei toys. They sell for about $30 each. I've seen Crystal Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp, and the clear Henkei Mirage and they are IN PACKAGE!

Additionally there is a KO version of Botcon Mirage. Luckily you can tell the original from a KO in that the KO has no rub sign.

Of course for thoe who want these hard-to-get toys and don't mind KOs, it's a real deal.

The images from KOToys.com he includes in his post show just how good these new replicas are. Please use caution when purchasing these figures in the future, especially if you buy them through auction sites or online trading forums.

Thanks to Scaleface for the heads up!

Credit(s): Scaleface, KOToys.com

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1143999)
Posted by ShardFenix on November 8th, 2010 @ 7:35am CST
as a poor college student i have to say knock offs are a pretty sweet deal.
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144003)
Posted by Blackstreak on November 8th, 2010 @ 7:57am CST
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144014)
Posted by Rated X on November 8th, 2010 @ 8:37am CST

But since I already bought all these, I hope they use the mold to give us the rainmakers and Sunstorm. I wonder why Henkei never did a version of Acid Storm with G1 markings instead of camoflauge ??? I woyuld have bought it in a heartbeat.
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144028)
Posted by Counterpunch on November 8th, 2010 @ 9:08am CST
Rated X wrote:Henkei brought this on upon themselves by making the choices they did on limited production for certain figures.

No...that's not even remotely correct.

Henkei Skywarp and Thundercracker were made to order.

Meaning that they put out the order for them ahead of time and allowed the number of people who desired the toy to pre-order. The production run was then set somewhat above that number so that everyone who wanted one, got one. Then there were extras (that sat in retailers hands for almost a year) for people to buy at a later point.

The price for the figures was figured by the unit cost by order. It would have been cheaper if more people ordered.

Now, do you still want to blame Takara for the cost? Or should you look at what is essentially a market price and not be so upset about it?
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144030)
Posted by Dead Metal on November 8th, 2010 @ 9:11am CST
Rated X wrote:Damn...sounds like I wasted 300 bucks. I mean, Im glad to have the real ones but I fully condone bootlegs. This is a good way to stick it to the people who take 1 dollar worth of plastic, put it in a 12 dollar mold and flip it for 100 bucks by making them in limited quanity as a gimmick to jack up the price. Im not saying they can match Hasbro pound for pound in capital income, but dammit They could of made as many Thundercrackers and Skywarps as they did Grimlocks and Astrotrains to bring the price down to a fair 50 bucks. Henkei brought this on upon themselves by making the choices they did on limited production for certain figures.

Henkei was Takaras version of the Classics line, it was a general release line. Also Thundercracker and Skywarp where both store exclusives and were produced according to how many where pre-ordered and they only cost 5 dollars more than the regular Henkei line of figures.
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144033)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on November 8th, 2010 @ 9:15am CST
LOL, I have BotCon Mirage and I've never even opened him up... I wonder what he goes for these days?

Also, it may just be the lighting, but KO BotCon Mirage looks to be made of slightly lighter blue plastic than Real BotCon Mirage.
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144093)
Posted by Rated X on November 8th, 2010 @ 10:39am CST

Needless to say I stepped up to the plate and bought them all at Botcon. Im not cheap, just rational. Now if we could just get those other 2 Rainmakers :D
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144106)
Posted by Scaleface on November 8th, 2010 @ 10:56am CST
Blackstreak wrote:those KOs look really good. For those of you who can't tell the KOs from the real deal understand one thing: there are no 'clear versions' or 'ghost' Classics Thundercracker or Skywarp. Aside from that, I never know where to get my hands on these things so I don't worry.

The story text from Seibertron is WRONG, the KO Thundercracker and Skywarp are NOT CLEAR. They are solid, just like the real thing.
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144132)
Posted by Flashwave on November 8th, 2010 @ 11:49am CST
Rated X wrote:I get what you guys are saying. But I just dont agree with the idea of "special release". A release is as special as you wanna make it. Henkei went out of their way to make them "exclusive". That was their choice, not the fans. Nobody complained about not being able to get an Astrotrain, Grimlock, or Bumblebee from the classics because they made enough in the first place. When the fans called out for Skywarp and Thundercracker, they should have just gone for the motherload. This "special release" thing was the way somebody wanted it, on purpose. Thats my issue.

There's a similar issue in the Model Train world, only it's universal to almost EVERYTHING. It is sad, and frustrating, because EVERYTHING has to be pre-ordered, without even so much as a review to look at, or you have to pray yor store of choice buys extra or can hold it until you pay for it, which gets interesting when there's everything else to be reserved too. A lot of places have to do it though, because what you DON'T want is excess product that don't sell. I don't know exactly why they did it for SW, it may be that TC they were trying to counter the rarity of Botcon out of ploiteness, and maybe they were testing the market either for future limited releases or to see just how many people wanted Seekers. Like a census, if you don't speak to the right person, your number isn't counted and you don't end up winning.

It sucks though, don't it?
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144140)
Posted by Dead Metal on November 8th, 2010 @ 12:47pm CST

I think you're confusing henkei with a company, it's not it's just the Japanese version of the classics line, intended for the Japanese market at normal Japanese prices.
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144185)
Posted by OptiMagnus on November 8th, 2010 @ 3:15pm CST
I still can't believe how close these things are to the real ones. Insanity.
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144222)
Posted by Rated X on November 8th, 2010 @ 4:55pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:

I see what you mean, but the point is whether it's Henkei, Takara, Gentei, Etc, sombody chose to make fewer on purpose rather than just making it a standard release. Thats my beef. I could see if it was some kind of specialty character (Ghost Starscream, Holagram Mirage, Nemisis Prime, etc) but plain ol Thundercracker and Skywarp ??? They mass produced Starscream. Sheesh...Thats like mass producing Duane Wade figures but not LeBron James or Chris Bosh Figures, you feel me ??? They need to put out the dream team all 3 !!!
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144245)
Posted by El Duque on November 8th, 2010 @ 5:48pm CST
You do realize Takara makes Henkei and Gentei figures, right?
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144249)
Posted by Mkall on November 8th, 2010 @ 5:53pm CST

We are the only ones these days that know the significance of all three jets.

It's sad I tell ya, sad.
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144296)
Posted by OptiMagnus on November 8th, 2010 @ 7:37pm CST
El Duque wrote:You do realize Takara makes Henkei and Gentei figures, right?

I don't think they do. Everyone keeps thinking Henkei and Gentei are separate companies! Arrgh! :BOOM:

ATTENTION: Takara Tomy produces the Henkei and Gentei figures. Henkei and Gentei are not separate companies or subsidiaries. They are simply the names of toylines that Takara Tomy makes.
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144356)
Posted by Flashwave on November 8th, 2010 @ 10:20pm CST
OptiMagnus10 wrote:
El Duque wrote:You do realize Takara makes Henkei and Gentei figures, right?

I think his point is that he messed up the name the first time, and then in his reply was something to the effect "WHOEVER they are, they made it a special release." We'll just call them George.
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144364)
Posted by Anonymous. on November 8th, 2010 @ 11:13pm CST
[color=teal]I really don't see an informed fan falling for these KO's. If anything, we should be expecting to pay premium on these bad boys. Anything that seems like a discount on these figures on bay should be avoided completely. If you're looking these up on Ebay, the people who are going to be in possession of the toys are going to Transformers collectors just like you. If you're feeling skeptical on a purchase, then avoid it, your gut is probably right on this one.
[/color]
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144455)
Posted by Rated X on November 9th, 2010 @ 8:28am CST
Mkall wrote:That's the problem with these three since G1 is that fhile the first one usually sells very well, latter repaints don't sell as well because parents see that it's the same figure in new colour and kids will already have a jet so they will want something different.

We are the only ones these days that know the significance of all three jets.

It's sad I tell ya, sad.

Partially true my friend, but Hasbro didnt have a problem with the following "same mold" releases due to parental ignorance:

1. Bluestreak, Prowl, and Smokescreen

2. Ironhide and Ratchet

3. Sunstreaker and Sideswipe (outcry later prompted a Hasbro Red Alert release 1 year later)

4. Thrust and Dirge (1 year ago here it was me against the world for even suggesting Hasbro sould release them)

5. Mirage and Fracture (Gobots homage for little kids ???) (Drag Strip ended up in Marshalls for $9.99 1 year later as well)

Sombody is fighting for Skywarp and Thundercracker not to be released by Hasbro. Might I suggest an Italian job ??? :grin:
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144473)
Posted by SentinelA on November 9th, 2010 @ 9:21am CST
I bought the 3 Seeker set from KOTOYS.COM so suck it Hasbro.
Re: Buyer Beware: New Knock-Offs of BotCon Mirage, Henkei "Ghost" Starscream and Seekers (1144514)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on November 9th, 2010 @ 10:32am CST
'Cracker (and the 3 Rainmakers for that matter) are all very tempting. I want to wait for Hasbro, I really do, but the faith is weakening. A KO will do in the end.

Ending Soon On eBay

TRANSFORMERS CYBERTRON SERIES THUNDERBLAST  WITH  KEY - Time Remaining: 7 days 12 hours 15 minutes 14 seconds
Transformers Generations  Age Of Extinction Deluxe  Class AD07 SLUG Takara - Time Remaining: 8 days 9 hours 3 minutes 15 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Evil Decepticon Insecticon Shrapnel 1984 G1 Factory Sealed - Time Remaining: 7 days 2 hours 34 minutes 9 seconds
Marvel G1 Transformers Comic Book full run 1-80 Plus more 1980's 129 comics - Time Remaining: 6 days 18 hours 50 minutes 25 seconds
Transformers Original Art E.J. Su IDW Slipcase HC Collection 02 Signed Blitzwing - Time Remaining: 6 days 9 hours 44 minutes 28 seconds
TRANSFORMERS G1 ORIGINAL  SCOURGE FIGURE   WITH GUN - Time Remaining: 7 days 2 hours 47 minutes 37 seconds
Transformers Masterpiece Acid Storm MP-01 Toys R Us Exclusive NEW & SEALED - Time Remaining: 6 days 15 hours 49 minutes 33 seconds
TRANSFORMERS TOYS R US REISSUE AUTOBOT  TRACKS FIGURE - Time Remaining: 6 days 8 hours 50 minutes 8 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #154 - The Misfits