Submit News Contact Us Translate Sign in Join

Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers!

Transformers News: Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers!

Monday, December 13th, 2010 3:31AM CST

Categories: Knock Offs, Toy News
Posted by: Dead Metal   Views: 70,085

You might remember the Seeker replica Knock Offs we reported a while ago. You may also remember the review we posted which showed how to distinguish them from the real deal – this review has now been rendered useless.
As KOToys reports that the company responsible for these Kos has changed the moulds. The mould has been improved and is now identical to the original Seeker mould. The colours and paint has also been improved and are now far closer to the originals. The plastic quality is also said to be of a higher grade than before.
There is just two known ways of telling the difference between one of these new Kos and the real deal, the packaging and the CHMS logo on the inside of the leg. The company responsible has replaced the TakaraTomy logo on the card with their own name “CHMS” and the bubble is also slightly different as it does not feature the standard Transformers imprint and instead reads “CHMSERS”.
However CHMS might be changing their packaging to be more accurate with future releases.
We have mirrored a few images for the rest just click here.

The Thundercracker on the left is the old Henkei KO and the one on the right is the new one.

The other Henkei/Classics KOs might be subject to the same treatment.
Credit(s): KOToys
Re: Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers! (1156879)
Posted by mattyc1007 on December 13th, 2010 @ 7:32am CST
Although I'm not looking to sell him now, this is worrying If I ever deciede to sell my Henkei Starscream, I know he's real thanks to ForbiddonPlanet, but Eeeep.

Why do KO companies replicate toys exactly with the packaging (keep the changed logo yes) and not just sell them as cheaper alternetives :-( . Its thanks to KO's that I own a complete G1 smaller bruticus without having to pay in excess of £100 :D
Re: Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers! (1156886)
Posted by whacko on December 13th, 2010 @ 7:42am CST
Awesome, now the cheaper KOs of hard to find toys are even higher quality!

While I question the legality of these KOs, I support companies making them because in my mind it is less unscrupulous than charging $200 for an "exclusive" on eBay or something. I have even less problem with the whole situation when there are different brand marks on them to identify them as KOs.

Toys are mainly supposed to be fun, and they are far less fun when you are going broke trying to find the ones you want just because some asshat and his associates went to Botcon and was able to grab 50 out of a run of 100 limited edition toys.
Re: Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers! (1157022)
Posted by dirkmagirk1 on December 13th, 2010 @ 1:17pm CST
i hate the fact that i spent so much money on all the henkei jets and people think its great. these deliberate knock offs make me sick.....i was less mad when i paid $80 for thrust and $100 for dirge last year, and found out hasbro was releasing them, and i could find 100 of them on the shelf at target. buyer beware i guess
Re: Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers! (1157027)
Posted by kdo on December 13th, 2010 @ 1:28pm CST
Someone did a review of the SunStorm and said its quality was lower than the original KO TC and SW. Are they remaking that again? Or is it the same SunStorm

I already bought the original KO of TC and SW from KO toys.... waiting for the mail to get here. Too bad, id rather have these newer ones if they are even better :P
Re: Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers! (1157029)
Posted by Dead Metal on December 13th, 2010 @ 1:36pm CST
So you're not saving money on these, except if you're buying something like the Clear Mirage or Starscream.
Re: Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers! (1157068)
Posted by Blackstreak on December 13th, 2010 @ 3:19pm CST
That Sunstorm is looking really tempting now w/ improved molding.
Re: Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers! (1157086)
Posted by starboykb on December 13th, 2010 @ 3:52pm CST
Comon Ramjet! I want KO ramjet!
Re: Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers! (1157249)
Posted by ShardFenix on December 13th, 2010 @ 9:47pm CST
Dead Metal wrote:To be honest these "cheap KOs" actually cost more than what the originals originally cost.

they are more than the original price sure, but for those that missed them they certainly seem cheaper than the current price.
Re: Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers! (1157266)
Posted by Kibble on December 13th, 2010 @ 11:18pm CST

I'm not one to want to make any pro argument for KOs, but when were the Henkei seekers (aside from Ramjet and opaque Starscream, which aren't the ones being knocked off) ever $25? I'm pretty sure they were more like $75 or so a pop originally...
Re: Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers! (1157273)
Posted by Dead Metal on December 13th, 2010 @ 11:50pm CST
Kibble wrote:

The original retail price was 25 each.
The price including shipping to a Japanese household was 30.
And little extra for the effort cost you 45 each.
Then came the shipping to wherever you lived.
At least that's what I paid.

So yes, the original cost less at retail than these KOs do.
Re: Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers! (1157336)
Posted by Kibble on December 14th, 2010 @ 7:46am CST
Dead Metal wrote:
Kibble wrote:

The original retail price was 25 each.
The price including shipping to a Japanese household was 30.
And little extra for the effort cost you 45 each.
Then came the shipping to wherever you lived.
At least that's what I paid.

So yes, the original cost less at retail than these KOs do.

Then BBTS and friends were really gauging people...
Re: Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers! (1157376)
Posted by Dead Metal on December 14th, 2010 @ 9:36am CST
Kibble wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:
Kibble wrote:

The original retail price was 25 each.
The price including shipping to a Japanese household was 30.
And little extra for the effort cost you 45 each.
Then came the shipping to wherever you lived.
At least that's what I paid.

So yes, the original cost less at retail than these KOs do.

Then BBTS and friends were really gauging people...

That's because they got it from similar sources as I did. Meaning they had to get someone to buy them, pay shipping to him, pay him or her some money, ship it over and then put an extra bob on top to make money.
Next time you could use this guy:
Reliable and cheap when it gets to stuff like this.
Re: Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers! (1157479)
Posted by OptiMagnus on December 14th, 2010 @ 2:16pm CST
I may actually get these if KOToys sells them. I'm in no mood to pay $300.00 for an action figure worth $10.00 or less.
Re: Buyer beware: Update on KO Henkei Seekers! (1158427)
Posted by SentinelA on December 17th, 2010 @ 10:10am CST
I bought these recently (Thundercracker, Skywarp & Ghost Starscream) I was very impressed with Thundercracker. If I had to do it over again I'd just buy him. The other 2 are crap. They have very loose joints. I've ordered Sunstorm and hoping he's on Thundercrackers level.
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #98 - Combiner Wars